Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2014, 18:23   #1486

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge View Post
I shortlisted Xcent and Zest. But now my family is leaning towards Zest. The only thing where I am not convinced is the FE of the Zest. This is because conflicting reports on FE. So I wanted to take a mileage test drive.

Me and my family took the first test drive almost a month and a half ago. However, there was no follow up from the dealer - National Autowheesls, Pune. I found it strange because the Hyundai guy was chasing me twice a week. Since I wanted to take the mileage test, I contacted the dealer. To speak to the salesperson who attended me for the first time, I made many calls and SMSes in last five days, which he never responded till last Thursday.
On Thursday, the salesperson agreed to give me the test drive but then he never turned up. Again I had to chase the dealer and the salesperson but no success till now.

I am sad that a good car is really in the hands of bad dealers. There seems to be no zeal to sell the Zest. I think I need to go to some other dealer which are very far from my place. I am really in sad state of mind.

Hi Bridge, I am also facing the same issue ... I have been asking a test drive from 'U Motors' on Nagar road since November ... two times the test drive was scheduled but the sales person failed to show up both the times. I had a couple of calls with the dealership and each time they mentioned they will get back to me but still waiting for the test drive. I think I will need to search for another TATA dealer in another part of Pune.
Old 17th December 2014, 23:50   #1487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaurabhAgrawal View Post
I've only done 400 kms in a month, but I've been facing a problem with my Zest XMS (Petrol) since day one. Sometimes, the engine stalls when I'm bringing the car to a near-stop speed, like on a big speed breaker, or at a red traffic signal. As I lower the gear from 2nd to 1st with the clutch pedal completely pressed, the car starts beeping, and some of the lights on the RPM dial light up. In a couple of seconds the engine stalls, unless I immediately let go off the clutch pedal and give some gas. If the engine does stall, I've always been able to switch it back on in the first attempt by turning the ignition key.

Since all this happens so quickly, I've never been able to note exactly which indicator lights on the instrument cluster light up. But I'm certain that the "battery charging" and the "low oil pressure" do turn red. All the warning lights also turn off once the car starts, and I drive away normally.

I googled but couldn't find any reason why this could happen in a new car.

Anyone faced a similar problem? Any suggestions?
I'm facing the same issue. I've reported the problem 2 days back. It's not happening at every instance of slowing. I'm getting this only at cold start so far. The symptoms are same, very same as you described. I'll get back once I get any update. In the mean time please report your problem to TML.
Old 18th December 2014, 00:28   #1488

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
Forgot to mention this issue too in my update a few posts back. I have noticed that this happens if you leave the car unstarted for two days or more. For me the stall happens two three times in a km and then it becomes alright. If I take the vehicle out every alternate day this doesn't happen. And no I'm not stalling the car because I have used the wrong gear. this happens even if I'm coasting. I'll need to make a video of this behavior in-time for my first service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindam_xeta View Post
I'm facing the same issue. I've reported the problem 2 days back. It's not happening at every instance of slowing. I'm getting this only at cold start so far. The symptoms are same, very same as you described. I'll get back once I get any update. In the mean time please report your problem to TML.
Glad to know I'm not the only one facing this problem. Unfortunately, I can't say that it happens only on cold starts, or only if the car has not been started for more than a couple of days.

My first service is due at the end of January 2015. Do you guys suggest I wait until then? I'm reluctant to take it to the service centre since I've barely clocked 500 kms on the odo.
Old 18th December 2014, 08:00   #1489
BHPian

Quote:
My first service is due at the end of January 2015. Do you guys suggest I wait until then? I'm reluctant to take it to the service centre since I've barely clocked 500 kms on the odo.
It's best to take your car to the service right away, if the problem is faced very frequent. Better let TM know about the problem at the earliest.
Old 18th December 2014, 08:52   #1490
BHPian

Yesterday I test drove the Zest Petrol XT with my wife alongside me. Few observations (wife and self had a similar opinions on most points):
  1. The first thing that struck me was the noise that the Revetron made once I cranked it up. I double checked with the sales guy if he had handed over the diesel.
  2. On the look front, the rear looks nice, the front is a reminder of the indica, but is nicely done with the projectors, and the LEDs
  3. The front seats are on the softer side but comfortable.
  4. The rear seat can accomadate 3 people for short to medium journeys.
  5. The boot size and layout are not too bad
  6. The driving position is taller than most compact sedans, and one gets a very good view of front and rear positions
  7. The HK ICE is excellent, the touch screen menu is logical and easy to work with.
  8. The ride of the car is nice and steady.
  9. Could not do much of handling exercies in traffic, but found that the car responded reasonably well to push around corners
  10. The sports mode does have a slight but noticable impact.Not sure of the Eco mode though.
  11. Interior fit and finish is many notchers up. Did not see major loose ends, though it was late in the evening when we checked the car, and the car was not in the dealership on display; it was outside.
  12. For 5.66 Lakhs ex-showroom on the XMS, it is a tempting car.
  13. Only one question that stops me and my wife is long term reliability; of all the cars we have seen stranded on the highways, we have been unlucky to count 99% of them to the Tata
PVPal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 10:46   #1491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVPal View Post
[IMG][*]Only one question that stops me and my wife is long term reliability; of all the cars we have seen stranded on the highways, we have been unlucky to count 99% of them to the Tata[/list]
Grossly untrue statement that! pardon me for being upfront.
May i correct you,, Must be that you have seen 99% of broken down vehicles being towed away by a TATA.
Please try and do observe henceforth.

Last edited by madhu33 : 18th December 2014 at 10:48.
madhu33 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 12:07   #1492
BANNED

Quote:
I shortlisted Xcent and Zest. But now my family is leaning towards Zest. The only thing where I am not convinced is the FE of the Zest. This is because conflicting reports on FE. So I wanted to take a mileage test drive.

I am sad that a good car is really in the hands of bad dealers. There seems to be no zeal to sell the Zest. I think I need to go to some other dealer which are very far from my place. I am really in sad state of mind.
I have test drived the zest at national autowheels hadapsar only. You may once again visit and talk with SA name is Ajinkya. He was polite and helpful in my opinion.
Old 18th December 2014, 14:01   #1493
Senior - BHPian

Love the Zest and voted for it as COY, but even I agree with you on reliability as i see so many pulled up to the side with their bonnets up, or being towed away. This is on the back of my mind and look forward to V2.
  1. Only one question that stops me and my wife is long term reliability; of all the cars we have seen stranded on the highways, we have been unlucky to count 99% of them to the Tata
[/quote]
Old 18th December 2014, 14:02   #1494

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post
It's best to take your car to the service right away, if the problem is faced very frequent. Better let TM know about the problem at the earliest.
Pleasantly surprised when I got a call from Prerana Motors' Customer Relations today. They are monitoring this thread and wanted to help me with the engine stalling issue! They're sending a technician home to inspect the car tomorrow morning. I hope the intermittent problem does happen in their presence. Will keep you guys updated.
SaurabhAgrawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 14:12   #1495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alih052 View Post
Hi Bridge, I am also facing the same issue ... I have been asking a test drive from 'U Motors' on Nagar road since November ... two times the test drive was scheduled but the sales person failed to show up both the times. I had a couple of calls with the dealership and each time they mentioned they will get back to me but still waiting for the test drive. I think I will need to search for another TATA dealer in another part of Pune.
I dumped National Autowheels and moved to Concorde. After test driving for 35 KMs it yielded 15.1 FE. I booked XMS.

Quote:

Yesterday I test drove the Zest Petrol XT with my wife alongside me. Few observations (wife and self had a similar opinions on most points):
  1. The first thing that struck me was the noise that the Revetron made once I cranked it up. I double checked with the sales guy if he had handed over the diesel.
  2. The rear seat can accomadate 3 people for short to medium journeys.
  3. The boot size and layout are not too bad
  4. Only one question that stops me and my wife is long term reliability; of all the cars we have seen stranded on the highways, we have been unlucky to count 99% of them to the Tata
My wife also noticed the noise from outside. I would like to believe that it was because of the test drive vehicle and people have tried all nasty things while test driving. However, I would love comments from other RT owners.

But the cabin was almost silent. It was way better than Indica, Santro, Vista, Xylo - the cabs I am using regularly from my office.

The rear seat not only accommodates 3 people nicely but it is The Best space that you get in this segment. I have compared it to Xcent, Amaze and Dzire. You dont need any shoulder adjustments in Zest which is the case with all others.

The boot is 2nd best in the segment after Xcent which has got 410 Ltr. of space. In future if you want to convert your car in CNG, Xcent will still have a good space even after the fitment of a biggest CNG cylinder.

I guess its the perception that tata cars get stranded more than others. Though it may be the case with cabs. Cab drivers drive Indica for more than a Lac Kms, may be more than the life of the car. For Zest you may overcome the perception because TML is offering 3 yrs warranty and even roadside support for free. I see it as the confidence TML have in this car.
Old 18th December 2014, 15:02   #1496
BHPian

After reading @bullet_chacha 's post having many pictures, I am wondering why people praise Harmon's ICE so much when he required an upgrade with an amplifier and a sub.
Old 18th December 2014, 15:57   #1497
BHPian

Quote:
[*]Only one question that stops me and my wife is long term reliability; of all the cars we have seen stranded on the highways, we have been unlucky to count 99% of them to the Tata[/list]
Hi,
I have been owning TATA automobiles for 12 years now and clocked just about 2,00,000 Kms. Till date only once I was stranded, rather my wife was. We used a local driver in Salem to drive her upto Yercaud and the driver was driving it higher gears and half clutch and ended up burning it...

I also travel on road a lot, especially between Chennai, Salem and Bengaluru. At no point have I seen 99% of them being a TATA vehicle.
Old 18th December 2014, 15:58   #1498
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After reading @bullet_chacha 's post having many pictures, I am wondering why people praise Harmon's ICE so much when he required an upgrade with an amplifier and a sub.
Have you listened to the stock ICE in XT? Its wonderful & with its overall features certainly deserves the praise it receives.

People also boost their ICE in a Bentley or an Aston Martin or a Rolls Royce. Doesn't directly mean that it is because the stock ICE is bad.

No matter how good a stock ICE is, nothing can match a 12" or larger woofer if you want a good bass. If you want to register your car on the Richter scale, amplifier + subwoofer is the only way.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 16:27   #1499
BHPian

Quote:
Pleasantly surprised when I got a call from Prerana Motors' Customer Relations today. They are monitoring this thread and wanted to help me with the engine stalling issue! They're sending a technician home to inspect the car tomorrow morning. I hope the intermittent problem does happen in their presence. Will keep you guys updated.
I too had a similar experience. Before taking delivery I have posted some pictures on this thread and shared my experience from Prerana Motors. I had mentioned that I faced one Hiccup in my post (actually it resulted profitable for me ). On the day of my Delivery the Sales Head of Prerana motors (who very actively monitors this thread) came up to me (identified me correctly), listened to me very patiently and assured me of even better service. The entire Staff who attended to me provided me an awesome Delivery Experience which actually made up for the early goof-up and made me forget that altogether.

Seriously it was very heartening to see the Dealers going that extra step to comfort the customers and gain their trust - which was lacking earlier for consumers towards a Tata Dealer.

Quote:
My wife also noticed the noise from outside. I would like to believe that it was because of the test drive vehicle and people have tried all nasty things while test driving. However, I would love comments from other RT owners.

But the cabin was almost silent. It was way better than Indica, Santro, Vista, Xylo - the cabs I am using regularly from my office.

The rear seat not only accommodates 3 people nicely but it is The Best space that you get in this segment. I have compared it to Xcent, Amaze and Dzire. You dont need any shoulder adjustments in Zest which is the case with all others.

The boot is 2nd best in the segment after Xcent which has got 410 Ltr. of space. In future if you want to convert your car in CNG, Xcent will still have a good space even after the fitment of a biggest CNG cylinder.

I guess its the perception that tata cars get stranded more than others. Though it may be the case with cabs. Cab drivers drive Indica for more than a Lac Kms, may be more than the life of the car. For Zest you may overcome the perception because TML is offering 3 yrs warranty and even roadside support for free. I see it as the confidence TML have in this car.
Spot on! The Zest is an amazing car with loads of space in the back seat. Another good part about the design is that the Back Seat is slanted downward from the edge and helps in adhering to the angle of one's thigh when seated in it.

I have driven my Vista for 62K KMs, it has stranded only once, that too because of battery issues. I have never faced any mechanical issues in my Vista in the 4 years I owned it. The Perception is based on the earlier QC miss from Tata's end. IMHO they have come leaps and bound in quality and service in most of the places. They only need to get things right with some of the dealers in the country and resolve their production issues related to Zest!
Old 18th December 2014, 18:23   #1500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
Grossly untrue statement that! pardon me for being upfront.
May i correct you,, Must be that you have seen 99% of broken down vehicles being towed away by a TATA.
Please try and do observe henceforth.
Please read what I have written carefully. I said:
Quote:
of all the cars we have seen stranded on the highways, we have been unlucky to count 99% of them to the Tata
May I suggest that I stick to my experience and you may kindly not suggest what we do henceforth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
Hi,
I have been owning TATA automobiles for 12 years now and clocked just about 2,00,000 Kms. Till date only once I was stranded, rather my wife was. We used a local driver in Salem to drive her upto Yercaud and the driver was driving it higher gears and half clutch and ended up burning it...

I also travel on road a lot, especially between Chennai, Salem and Bengaluru. At no point have I seen 99% of them being a TATA vehicle.
Respect your experience. Its very good to know that what you have lived through does not overlap with our observations/experience. Gives me a lot of confidence thinking about the Zest

Quote:
I dumped National Autowheels and moved to Concorde. After test driving for 35 KMs it yielded 15.1 FE. I booked XMS.
Many congratulations for booking the car. Thats a good fuel efficiency for a test drive car. I too think the XMS is value for money, considering the Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (options) retails at 20,000 more

Quote:
Same here. Thats why I double checked with the sales guy, and he indicated its normal. Welcome comments from current Zest Petrol owners.

Quote:
Agree, cabin noise was not significant at all.

Quote:
We loved the rear space available. One of the big plus points about this car.

Quote:
I thought the boot is a tad smaller than I had expected from the outer proportions of the car. But the layout is not too restricted, and we can do with whats available on the Zest.

Quote:
The three year warranty does provide succor and inspires confidence. Thats one of the many reasons we are thinking about the Zest.

Regarding your comment on the "perception" part. Not sure what others perception is. In my case it has been observed experience.

That said, I think 1 lakh KM is not supposed to be the life of the car.

Last edited by PVPal : 18th December 2014 at 18:32.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks