Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2014, 22:30   #1516
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Congrats!! Zest looks even better in red. I am also glad they have changed the design of the alloy wheels to multi spoke.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2014, 00:02   #1517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaylover View Post
Took delivery of my Red XT RT from Prerana Motors on Wednesday. It was quick and smooth. Opted for Gold AMC and Extended warranty.

Went to 3M JP Nagar yesterday for under body protection and gloss black vinyl for the roof.

Attachment 1320326

Attachment 1320327
Many congrats and wish you safe miles ahead!!
Black vinyl roofing looks exotic!
Old 20th December 2014, 00:09   #1518
BHPian

Quote:
Took delivery of my Red XT RT from Prerana Motors on Wednesday. It was quick and smooth. Opted for Gold AMC and Extended warranty.

Went to 3M JP Nagar yesterday for under body protection and gloss black vinyl for the roof.
Many congratulations. How much for the black roof?
How about smoked headlamps?
Old 20th December 2014, 00:41   #1519
BHPian

Quote:

Went to 3M JP Nagar yesterday for under body protection
Hi,
Many congrats for the new Zest. I share the same color and model with you. Wish you safe and enjoyable drive. I'm really enjoying the car so far.
Please let me have an idea about the 3M underbody protection. I'm planning to get it done.

Regards,
Arindam.
Old 20th December 2014, 01:00   #1520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaurabhAgrawal View Post
UPDATE: As promised, a couple of engineers/technicians from Prerana Motors visited today morning.
Hi Saurabh,
Thanks a lot for the update.I faced the problem today also. Infact TML is taking these complaints really seriously and they are scanning every word being put up in Teambhp. I've shared my problem too and they did call me and also emailed me. It's my problem I missed the call and that I was not able to call them till today. I'll try to call them tomorrow.
Till now I have received reply of all my emails with utmost diligence!
So they have built the car and now they are building relationships, what more do we need? Please keep it up TataMotors!

Last edited by arindam_xeta : 20th December 2014 at 01:03.
Old 20th December 2014, 01:17   #1521
BHPian

Hey

Since a couple of owners are facing the stalling issue...can someone tell me if you need to take the key out and the reinsert it and crank the car up?

As in my diesel, due to lack of proper accelerator-clutch coordination, I had stalled it a couple of times and had to take the key out and reinsert for the start
Old 20th December 2014, 07:43   #1522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet_chacha View Post
Hey

Since a couple of owners are facing the stalling issue...can someone tell me if you need to take the key out and the reinsert it and crank the car up?

As in my diesel, due to lack of proper accelerator-clutch coordination, I had stalled it a couple of times and had to take the key out and reinsert for the start
Dear Bullet_Cha-cha,
The detailed description of the issue I faced and also reported by SaurabhAgrawal. I faced this even yesterday. I sent the following report to TML and they have already got back to me. I missed their call, will speak to them today.

Strange / Weird issue - At times (Mostly when I start from office back home, happened almost every alternate day last week) when starting from cold, in 3rd gear I'm decelerating (braking) in*fully de-clutched (clutch pedal pressed) condition*(I'm not lugging the engine at all), the engine would stall. I'll elaborate a bit............

I start from the under ground parking lot (1st gear).....Take the steep ramp to reach the ground (2nd gear).....and immediately negotiate a speed breaker in 2nd gear.....take a rounded left turn ....continue straight for about 400-450 mtrs (moved from 2nd to 3rd gear and about 30-33 KMPH), now de-clutch while braking for the next oncoming speed breaker that's when the car would stall with beeps, no error code or any indicator so far. This is the exact sequence of events every time I faced this problem. In stalled condition the car is still around 15 KMPH to 20 KMPH, since I was fully de-clutched, I'll have to clutch and the engine cranks automatically and I take the speed breaker in 2nd gear. From then on it will not stall any more.

NOTE: This is not an usual stalling case over a speed breaker! The stalling happens when I'm about to reach the speed breaker in*fully de-clutched*condition not when I'm actually negotiating it!
Old 20th December 2014, 10:42   #1523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
Many congratulations. How much for the black roof?
How about smoked headlamps?
It costed me 5800 (not including 5.5% tax). Haven't thought about the lamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindam_xeta View Post
Hi,
Many congrats for the new Zest. I share the same color and model with you. Wish you safe and enjoyable drive. I'm really enjoying the car so far.
Please let me have an idea about the 3M underbody protection. I'm planning to get it done.
I have seen your thread. very detailed
I went for the under body coat with 5 yrs warranty. It costed 3390 (not including 12.36% tax). They also have a 2 yrs warranty coat which costs half the price but they use a different coating material and it won't last more than 2 years i think.

Last edited by highwaylover : 20th December 2014 at 10:44.
highwaylover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2014, 13:54   #1524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindam_xeta View Post
Dear Bullet_Cha-cha,
The detailed description of the issue I faced and also reported by SaurabhAgrawal. I faced this even yesterday. I sent the following report to TML and they have already got back to me. I missed their call, will speak to them today.

Strange / Weird issue - At times (Mostly when I start from office back home, happened almost every alternate day last week) when starting from cold, in 3rd gear I'm decelerating (braking) in*fully de-clutched (clutch pedal pressed) condition*(I'm not lugging the engine at all), the engine would stall. I'll elaborate a bit............

I start from the under ground parking lot (1st gear).....Take the steep ramp to reach the ground (2nd gear).....and immediately negotiate a speed breaker in 2nd gear.....take a rounded left turn ....continue straight for about 400-450 mtrs (moved from 2nd to 3rd gear and about 30-33 KMPH), now de-clutch while braking for the next oncoming speed breaker that's when the car would stall with beeps, no error code or any indicator so far. This is the exact sequence of events every time I faced this problem. In stalled condition the car is still around 15 KMPH to 20 KMPH, since I was fully de-clutched, I'll have to clutch and the engine cranks automatically and I take the speed breaker in 2nd gear. From then on it will not stall any more.

NOTE: This is not an usual stalling case over a speed breaker! The stalling happens when I'm about to reach the speed breaker in*fully de-clutched*condition not when I'm actually negotiating it!
Clutch plate replacement in my manza was done last month.
I was facing EXACTTTT same problem
(how accurately you have narrated the issue).
Work done was New clutch plate & pedal
(Service guys call it "zero effort type pedal" )
When i reported to my SA over the phone, he picked up my car next day morning at 7.30 am and then dropped back to my office during midday with the issue resolved. He told me that he had done done some setting of the switch near the clutch pedal.
Never reocurred after that.

Last edited by madhu33 : 20th December 2014 at 13:55.
madhu33 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2014, 17:14   #1525
BHPian

This maybe old news but I came across these two articles recently.

http://www.motorbeam.com/2014/07/car...arison-review/

http://www.motorbeam.com/2014/08/car...cent-shootout/
Old 20th December 2014, 18:29   #1526
BHPian

Revotron heats up crazy. Drove for 4-5 kms and the bonnet heated up significantly. Is this normal for a turbo charged petrol car? The SA says so.
Old 20th December 2014, 21:42   #1527
BHPian

Hi guys! Finally the family (mom, dad and brother) seems to have zeroed in on Tata Zest and after much deliberations, test drove one today. Since we are planning to buy petrol, hence the test ride was for RT XT. Following are some observations and queries:

1. The Good: I have read a few reviews saying that 3 engine maps are marketing gimmick. I seriously wonder how did they arrive at the conclusion. Honestly, even I wasn't able to test the engine to my satisfaction as it was dusk time with decent enough traffic but eco vs sport was instantly evident.

In eco, the engine feels like it has retreated to hibernation and wakes up only when coerced. A gentle dab on throttle hardly registers. Even the turbo feels like it kicks in late.

And then there is Sport. Boy that's something!! It now become that over-enthusiastic pet who'll always be ready for action. Everything feel taught and crisp. Highway rides and quick overtakes are going to be a breeze!!

2. The Bad: part however are the headlights. I already read that headlights are inadequate but this was having moped lamps. And the spread hardly improved on high beam. My M800 is 11 year old and the headlights at both low and high beam provide great view and are quite useful on highways as
well. Feedback from owners would be of great help.

3. The Ugly: What was sad was that the customer care is exactly like Tata. Coming from Maruti (where customer is truly a king), I did not keep same expectations but the experience managed to underwhelm my already low expectations. The advisor was shabbily dressed and the general impression was that he wasn't half as excited as were about the zest.

To top it off, things took turn for worse when we discussed the price. I was presented with a sheet giving break-up of on-road prices as under:

Tata Zest : Official Review-img_20141220_200131_2.jpg

I am particularly flummoxed to see charges for 3 years AMC and those handling charges. When I told that Tata talks about three year AMC, I assume that's a free offering, the advisor informed that it is not free and is chargeable. And when I asked what is the handling charge, he told that it is something all dealers charge.

I am curious now if this is indeed the reality or am I being taken for a ride!!
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2014, 21:54   #1528
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post
Revotron heats up crazy. Drove for 4-5 kms and the bonnet heated up significantly. Is this normal for a turbo charged petrol car? The SA says so.
Was it in the sun? In fact, 4-5 kms would NOT be enough to bring in the engine to ideal warmth, but NOT sure that would be a reason NOT to heat the bonnet.
Old 20th December 2014, 22:29   #1529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Was it in the sun? In fact, 4-5 kms would NOT be enough to bring in the engine to ideal warmth, but NOT sure that would be a reason NOT to heat the bonnet.
I took a test ride. It was in the evening at 5. The SA said the car was driven the entire day, so the heat.
Revotron owners, could you please shed some light?
Old 21st December 2014, 00:10   #1530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Hi guys! Finally the family (mom, dad and brother) seems to have zeroed in on Tata Zest and after much deliberations, test drove one today. Since we are planning to buy petrol, hence the test ride was for RT XT. Following are some observations and queries:

1. The Good: I have read a few reviews saying that 3 engine maps are marketing gimmick. I seriously wonder how did they arrive at the conclusion. Honestly, even I wasn't able to test the engine to my satisfaction as it was dusk time with decent enough traffic but eco vs sport was instantly evident.

In eco, the engine feels like it has retreated to hibernation and wakes up only when coerced. A gentle dab on throttle hardly registers. Even the turbo feels like it kicks in late.

And then there is Sport. Boy that's something!! It now become that over-enthusiastic pet who'll always be ready for action. Everything feel taught and crisp. Highway rides and quick overtakes are going to be a breeze!!

2. The Bad: part however are the headlights. I already read that headlights are inadequate but this was having moped lamps. And the spread hardly improved on high beam. My M800 is 11 year old and the headlights at both low and high beam provide great view and are quite useful on highways as
well. Feedback from owners would be of great help.

3. The Ugly: What was sad was that the customer care is exactly like Tata. Coming from Maruti (where customer is truly a king), I did not keep same expectations but the experience managed to underwhelm my already low expectations. The advisor was shabbily dressed and the general impression was that he wasn't half as excited as were about the zest.

To top it off, things took turn for worse when we discussed the price. I was presented with a sheet giving break-up of on-road prices as under:

Attachment 1320486

I am particularly flummoxed to see charges for 3 years AMC and those handling charges. When I told that Tata talks about three year AMC, I assume that's a free offering, the advisor informed that it is not free and is chargeable. And when I asked what is the handling charge, he told that it is something all dealers charge.

I am curious now if this is indeed the reality or am I being taken for a ride!!
The AMC mentioned in the price list is the GOLD AMC. the 333 confidence provided by tata motors is nothing but the silver AMC for free till Dec 31st. The additional Rs. 8000 is for Gold AMC. If you do not wish to take it then by default you will get the Silver AMC. If the SA says otherwise please speak to his manager immediately since the SA is short on knowledge!

The Dealer charges - Yes they do charge. I suppose Tata Motors do not have any say on that. it varies from one dealer to another.
jasonbourne is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks