Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2014, 08:56   #1561
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
Thanks, I was under the opinion that the job would be neater if the seats are removed. Now, I am thinking of buying the readymade seat covers from the dealer.
The ready made seat covers at the dealerships with the zest embossed on it are quite decent. Have these on my friend's zest. The finish is better than the ones you get in accessories shop. But do note it does fall short in terms of finish of the custom made ones.
Old 25th December 2014, 19:34   #1562
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Quick question. My friend is getting his Zest delivered tomorrow. And due to the delay in the delivery by KHT Motors bangalore :( he will have to travel on the highway the same day with the new car. He needs to go to Pune urgently. The dealer has offered to get a temporary registration number which is valid for 27 days they say. Can someone help with telling what docs need to be carried with the new car while traveling on the highway. If anyone has had a similar experience would be nice to get inputs.

Posted here since it was specific to a Zest and needs a quick response.

Regards,
Devyaani.
Old 25th December 2014, 20:53   #1563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devyaaniverma View Post
Hi Guys,

Quick question. My friend is getting his Zest delivered tomorrow. And due to the delay in the delivery by KHT Motors bangalore :( he will have to travel on the highway the same day with the new car. He needs to go to Pune urgently. The dealer has offered to get a temporary registration number which is valid for 27 days they say. Can someone help with telling what docs need to be carried with the new car while traveling on the highway. If anyone has had a similar experience would be nice to get inputs.

Regards,
Devyaani.
It's always a risk driving a car with temporary registration. It's even more complicated when you drive out of the state.

On the legality, I'm really not sure if this can be done. I do not have any personal experience or knowledge who has done this before.
Old 25th December 2014, 20:56   #1564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post
It's always a risk driving a car with temporary registration. It's even more complicated when you drive out of the state.

On the legality, I'm really not sure if this can be done. I do not have any personal experience or knowledge who has done this before.
I have done this. Bought a Honda city in blr, took temp regn and then drove to kerala for permanent regn as the car was for my dad. I even got an entry stamp from walayar checkpost just in case the rto asked for it. It is perfectly legal to drive a temp regn car but this can be done only within the validity period of your temp registration.
Old 25th December 2014, 21:46   #1565
Distinguished - BHPian

@Balaji, driving a car with Temp registration is not a problem. I have done so, and was not stopped even outside the state. Like Joe mentioned, the validity is important.
Old 25th December 2014, 22:12   #1566
BHPian

Finally, booked a Pristine White Zest Rovotron XT at Prerana Motors, Bangalore.
Delivery is expected by 5th Jan!

Dealer has promised invoicing of car before this year end in order to avail the 333 offer and save from a price hike & excise duty hike.
Old 25th December 2014, 22:47   #1567
BHPian

Finally it turned out to be a fruitful day!!!

The white colour does look premium! (Or is it so because they charge premium for same??) (The boot is not shut is this pic. Sorry for that. It actually requires some effort to shut!!)

Tata Zest : Official Review-img_20141225_162959_hdr.jpg

The dealership experience was horrible to say the least. We had visited last Saturday and had informed that we want to purchase silver RT XM on either 25 or 26 Dec. Showroom guy said that there is only one piece and he may not be able to assure us on availability. Then he called on Monday and informed that he is keeping the sliver XM for us to take on 25 Dec. He called us again today and we were in showroom one hour later at around 12 noon. The silver XM was there all readied and prepared for delivery. We were very pleased with this until he came and broke the news.

He had already sold that to someone else without even asking us if we want to purchase. Had he informed, we would have immediately made payment to book the car.

So now the question was what to buy. There was no RT XM, a few RT XMS and some RT XT. We asked for colours available and finalised white XT.

The whole day was then spent getting car from warehouse, washing and putting on seat covers which took a sum total of 5 hours!!

All said and done, the showroom people did try and cheer things up by making the delivery a bit of an event. Sadly though, I was so tired, I just wanted to take the keys and drive the car back.

While they were making arrangements for the event, all I was doing was checking watch every 5 minutes.

Tata Zest : Official Review-img_20141225_175612_hdr.jpg

Following are some observations and queries:

1. The showroom guy told me that I "must" pay 8000 for AMC and 8000-odd for extended warranty. And that if I don't, the complimentary AMC which I get will only cover fluid top-ups and not even oil changes. Finally, I told him I am not buying and want to talk to Manager and after me insisting and him giving excuses, he finally dropped the topic and I finalised without the two.

2. The white colour actually does look richer. A friend at TML informed that there is additional paint layer for white.

Tata Zest : Official Review-img_20141225_174304_hdr.jpg

3. The dashboard layout is perfect and everything falls in place nicely. However, no less than 5 minutes out of showroom and I observed a huge blunder. The steering volume controls are on left of steering.

Tata Zest : Official Review-img_20141225_163441_hdr.jpg

Now I usually drive while always holding the gear stalk with left palm and holding steering with right palm, except on highways where I stay in top gear for long. If I have to change volume, I have to leave the gear stalk, move my hand to grab the steering and then change volume. All this while my right hand is doing nothing. I found reaching the console and turning knob to change volume far convenient.

Am I doing something wrong or is this sheer ignorance on Tata's part?

4. Height adjust is great feature to have!! Especially for someone as vertically challenged as me (I am 5'5"). Raising the seat actually lets me see the bonnet which is truly fantastic!!

Below is my 6' tall brother. When he is at the steering, the space suddenly shrinks and he only barely manages himself in there!!

Tata Zest : Official Review-img_20141225_163343_hdr.jpg

5. Climate control has a mind of its own. I read few posts back as how setting 26C causes warm air flow in footwell. Exactly same thing happened today. This might be due to the fact that weather outside was probably colder than 26C.

6. The entertainment system is good and loud!! I wanted to test the sound but even at 16-18 level, mom said its too loud and I couldn't raise level any further.

7. The headlights felt much better today!! I was pretty much satisfied with low beam performance. And the dark spots are filled up well by fog lamps. However, the high beam is all haywire pointing towards skies. I did try the beam level settings on stalk but they don't seem to make any difference.

8. What will sorely be missed are the cubby holes. There are none to keep water bottles. The target now is to find bottles that fit in those pockets.

9. I am a bit curious about the minimum petrol level I should maintain in the car to avoid frying fuel pump or anything like that. Considering the 44L fuel tank, would 10L minimum be good?

Will update on the ride experience as I get to ride more. I hope I am able to do that soon!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Zest : Official Review-img_20141225_163042_hdr.jpg  

ksameer1234 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 11:38   #1568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post
Finally, booked a Pristine White Zest Rovotron XT at Prerana Motors, Bangalore.
Delivery is expected by 5th Jan!

Dealer has promised invoicing of car before this year end in order to avail the 333 offer and save from a price hike & excise duty hike.
That's quite fast. Looks like quite some stocks at the dealers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
...The white colour does look premium! ..
It does. One of the few cars on which white color actually looks nice & premium.

Quote:
...3. The dashboard layout is perfect and everything falls in place nicely. However, no less than 5 minutes out of showroom and I observed a huge blunder. The steering volume controls are on left of steering.

Am I doing something wrong or is this sheer ignorance on Tata's part?......
While driving, you are NOT supposed to hold the gear lever. Now, if you want to change the volume, hold on to the same gear till you are done with it, or upshift / downshift one gear and free your hands for volume change.

Imagine you changing the gears and volume (had the buttons been on the right side) at the same time! You hardly have control on the steering wheel.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 11:42   #1569
BHPian

Quote:
Finally it turned out to be a fruitful day!!!

Now I usually drive while always holding the gear stalk with left palm and holding steering with right palm, except on highways where I stay in top gear for long. If I have to change volume, I have to leave the gear stalk, move my hand to grab the steering and then change volume. All this while my right hand is doing nothing. I found reaching the console and turning knob to change volume far convenient.
Once you start using the voice commands you will understand why
highwaylover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 11:50   #1570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devyaaniverma View Post
Hi Guys,

Regards,
Devyaani.
I too got my Safari on Temporary registration, I did a trip within a week from Delhi to Chandigarh-Dharamshala-Manali-Delhi.
The Temp. No. Plate does attract cops though. I was stopped at Chandigarh, Himachal and then again on entering Delhi but was let off after I showed them the Papers.
Old 26th December 2014, 12:00   #1571
BHPian

Quote:
9. I am a bit curious about the minimum petrol level I should maintain in the car to avoid frying fuel pump or anything like that. Considering the 44L fuel tank, would 10L minimum be good?
It is always recommended to maintain atleast 1/4th of total fuel tank capacity, so a minimum of 10 liters at all times would be sufficient.
And congrats on your purchase. Drive safe!

-Funny
Old 26th December 2014, 12:08   #1572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
That's quite fast. Looks like quite some stocks at the dealers?

It does. One of the few cars on which white color actually looks nice & premium.

While driving, you are NOT supposed to hold the gear lever. Now, if you want to change the volume, hold on to the same gear till you are done with it, or upshift / downshift one gear and free your hands for volume change.

Imagine you changing the gears and volume (had the buttons been on the right side) at the same time! You hardly have control on the steering wheel.
I got the delivery in a day. There was ample stock I guess. The car is from ELN series, so I guess it is November make. Makes it a bit old but I don't see any reason to be worried.

I know one should always be in control of the steering but I am very used to holding the gear lever. I guess I'll have to change riding habits and lief with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaylover View Post
Once you start using the voice commands you will understand why
I saw this feature only last night!! I am sure it will be of great help. But again, even the voice command activation key is on left side. Tata is bent upon changing my riding habits but I am equally resilient!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
It is always recommended to maintain atleast 1/4th of total fuel tank capacity, so a minimum of 10 liters at all times would be sufficient.
And congrats on your purchase. Drive safe!

-Funny
Thanks mate!! I'll maintain 10L in tank then.

Last edited by ksameer1234 : 26th December 2014 at 12:24.
Old 26th December 2014, 12:51   #1573
BHPian

Quote:
I saw this feature only last night!! I am sure it will be of great help. But again, even the voice command activation key is on left side. Tata is bent upon changing my riding habits but I am equally resilient!!
Voice command button is on the right side
Old 26th December 2014, 12:55   #1574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaylover View Post
Voice command button is on the right side
Oh, my bad!! Sorry I got confused.

I think this makes sense now. By the way, how accurate are these voice commands? Are they useful in picking up voices or require speaking like a robot?
Old 26th December 2014, 13:01   #1575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Precisely! And I think all cars come with the volume control on the left. My Polo also has the volume controls on the left.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks