Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2014, 16:06   #1591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
This is not a design flaw. My SX4 as well as Figo HVAC also works in the same fashion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
This is present in most of the cars. I have observed this in my WagonR 1.0 and Estilo 1.1, Spark and Micra.
I hear what you are saying.

Why I said design flaw?
From my point of view, the A & the C stand for Air Conditioning and not Air Cooling. Any system which allows the air temp to change in the blower mode is flawed.

For a first time user this can be quiet disconcerting. I remember running to the workshop twice complaining that the "AC" is throwing hot air in blower mode. And it is very irritating when one toggles frequently between the two modes.

A proper system should also disable the temp controller in the blower mode.
Old 30th December 2014, 11:19   #1592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
I hear what you are saying.

Why I said design flaw?
From my point of view, the A & the C stand for Air Conditioning and not Air Cooling. Any system which allows the air temp to change in the blower mode is flawed.

For a first time user this can be quiet disconcerting. I remember running to the workshop twice complaining that the "AC" is throwing hot air in blower mode. And it is very irritating when one toggles frequently between the two modes.

A proper system should also disable the temp controller in the blower mode.
I see what you are saying. I confirm same behavior of heater and AC working independently with M800, Alto, Esteem, Zen, Baleno and Swift. While its not a flaw in Tata cars, but with all of them I presume, with manual AC. This is a flaw, as if mistakenly the knob was set to hot and plus AC is also on, you wouldn't know.

Also, even if the fan is off and temperature knob is set to hot, heater will be switched on. This is surely a design flaw. This way, you won't even notice that heater was on the whole time.
Old 30th December 2014, 12:58   #1593
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

A lot of these features are explained at the time of vehicle delivery at the dealerships .So unless the PD demo has not been done well, the new owner would know about the way the HVAC functions. The heating funtionality of the AC is usually needed in case you need to heat up the car real fast or if the ambient temperatures are very cold .
Old 30th December 2014, 13:26   #1594
BHPian

Might sound a little funy but has someone experienced cool air seeping out of the power window button when the var is in the move?

I'm not sure about the passenger side but the driver side buttons does seem to be aircooled!
Old 30th December 2014, 14:06   #1595
BHPian

Got the first service done of my dune beige XMS QJT, at 3 months, 5200 kms, all good - except for the mud in engine bay issue, for which the service guys told they have not yet received any intimation from TML. Posting a couple of pics of the car too.Tata Zest : Official Review-img_20141206_073829.jpg

Tata Zest : Official Review-img_20141206_07372658.jpg
mobydick1983 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 17:07   #1596
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Couple of questions. I have taken delivery of my RED RT XT and have not driven at all after taking delivery on 25th Dec. I have observed few things as i start the engine everyday and keep it on for 10 mins.

1. The engine rpm raises to 1200 and then settles down to 650- 750.
2. There is slight jerk/jump/movement which can be felt in car and in steering also while the car is idiling, which happens every 15 to 20 secs.

other than the above i could not find any issue as of now. Could you please let me know if these are normal with Revotron or do i need to visit the service center and get it clarified. Thanks in advance.
Old 30th December 2014, 17:56   #1597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atif View Post
Hi Guys,

Couple of questions. I have taken delivery of my RED RT XT and have not driven at all after taking delivery on 25th Dec.

other than the above i could not find any issue as of now. Could you please let me know if these are normal with Revotron or do i need to visit the service center and get it clarified. Thanks in advance.
On a lighter note, did you buy the car just to see if there are any issues with it ?? Looks like you are having a hard time finding faults.

For the first point, it is perfectly normal for any car to idle at a slightly higher rpm when you cold start. It will settle in once the engine is hot.

No idea about point 2. You might want to check with other models/makes to see if you can find something similar in them. Most of the times, we fail to notice something in a Honda(for example) but crib about it when it happens in a TATA. I am not saying that you are doing that, but there is a possibility. So check with a few other cars too.

Happy driving !!
Old 30th December 2014, 18:50   #1598
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Couple of questions. I have taken delivery of my RED RT XT and have not driven at all after taking delivery on 25th Dec. I have observed few things as i start the engine everyday and keep it on for 10 mins.

2. There is slight jerk/jump/movement which can be felt in car and in steering also while the car is idiling, which happens every 15 to 20 secs.

For the 2nd point, switch off the AC and check if it still rises.

Quote:
Seems like the Tax concessions provided to 2 and 4 wheelers are coming to an end by 31st December.
Zest is going to cost more in addition to the expected price hike i suppose.

http://www.firstpost.com/business/co...s-2022659.html
Old 30th December 2014, 20:53   #1599
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I am 99% sure it is the AC. Ad XT has ACC, it keeps switching on and off on its own. Perhaps the same is the reason for the shudder you notice.
Old 30th December 2014, 21:00   #1600
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Dear Atif,
Many congrats for the new vehicle.

For your queries I think you are a very precision observer.

Yes the engine idles at a higher RPM when cold. One obvious reason I think is that the viscosity of the engine oil is higher when cold and it comes down and lubricates the internals for a more smoother and easier operation as it heats up. Probably there are other reasons too! On similar note if you observe closely you will see the car has three idling RPMs. One when you have the car in clutch pressed condition, neutral or in gear, this is higher . The second idling RPM is when the car clutch pedal is not pressed, this can happen only when the car is in neutral, this RPM is much lower. The third RPM is when the car is clutch pressed condition on reverse gear, I feel this is the highest. It actually feels like some one is tapping the accelerator for you. I have not really looked closely to get the accurate numbers in each case.

For your second question even I have noticed occasional shaking. I think it's normal. Mostly noticed when the ac is on. You may confirm whether the conditions are same for you. I think it's the compressor turning off and on. I'll suggest you to check with service centre once and get their version of it.

Mine is a Revotron. Once again congrats and many happy miles.
arindam_xeta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 22:31   #1601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
On a lighter note, did you buy the car just to see if there are any issues with it ??
I have vista qjd which is doing the duty on weekdays. Zest is for highway or weekends only until I sell off my vista.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbourne View Post
For the 2nd point, switch off the AC and check if it still rises
Thanks JB. I would check on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
I am 99% sure it is the AC. Ad XT has ACC, it keeps switching on and off on its own. Perhaps the same is the reason for the shudder you notice.
I too reckon that it is the acc. Thanks for your input ashish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindam_xeta View Post
Dear Atif,
Many congrats for the new vehicle.

For your queries I think you are a very precision observer.
Thank you so much arindham. The level of details given is really commendable. I would like to appreciate you for taking all the pain in explaining the revotron behaviour. I wish you the same as mine is also a red revotron xt.
Old 31st December 2014, 15:46   #1602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have vista qjd which is doing the duty on weekdays. Zest is for highway or weekends only until I sell off my vista.
Let me know once you sell your Vista. I am struggling to get reasonable quotes for my Dec 2009 Vista !

on a "Zest"note, I took a TD of the Revotron XT and car felt very nice to drive. Light clutch, light steering and very good suspension. The Power mode really gave a good power boost compared to the Eco mode but between the City and Power mode I saw a very marginal difference. On the instantaneous FE, it was depicted as a bar diagram and swinging between around 10-25kmpl. It was not calibrated clearly. Just 0-mid pt - 30. I tried for various options to read that as a number but could not. The sales person also did not know how to do this. Apart from this, the Avg trip level FE was showing as 8.9kmpl. I dont think that represents the FE for the drive I took.

Got to know prices are increasing, features are going down come 2015. Not a good sign, unless Tata is happy with the small numbers they are doing now.
Old 31st December 2014, 17:48   #1603
BHPian

Hi All,
Completed the first service for My zest RT XT. I had given few points to be checked.
1. Hard to engage the 1st gear
2. Engine Stalling at slower speeds
3. very faint steering noise while turning either direction; more like wind noise

The SA said he will upgrade the software and they should take care of the engine stalling and will return better FE. So the software was upgraded. I think they also adjusted the clutch pedal. Still keeping the points mentioned above under observation before I can state that the above points are taken care of.

So in the 1st service, the software was upgraded followed by some clutch pedal adjustment and washing.
Old 31st December 2014, 23:25   #1604
BHPian

I paid the booking amount on 23rd, and made the balance payment by 25th Dec. Got the VIN from the SA today, and it is Oct 2014 manufactured car. How old car is acceptable? Should I accept a 3 month old car, when there are no discounts? I am guesssing it has been lying in the yard for 2 months! (in open sun, dust and rain with a good chance of rats having infested the engine bay)

Is it a normal practice to deliver 2.5 to 3 month old car when a new car is booked? Please advice.
Old 31st December 2014, 23:48   #1605
BHPian

Father got a white XMA delivered. Will try get photos tomorrow and post them here.

Most Viewed