Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2015, 15:49   #1681
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
All I can see that is a horn issue in the above post

Do you expect air bag to deploy when you bang the steering wheel hard?
You have not seen the last line in my post. This is just one of the issues which I have narrated. There are so many not just the horn issue alone.

In terms of airbags, I know that I was very sarcastic. Sorry about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post

Also, when the car is locked and if we try to open the boot the alert alarm comes ON. We need to first unlock the car and then open the boot with the key to avoid this. Not sure if there is any setting to change this..
This was not the case with my Manza, I could open the boot with the key without the requirement to unlock the whole car. Really don't know what Tata thought in Zest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
I had my Indica Vista for 5.5 years and 92K mileage. i had sold it as scrap for 2.7 lakhs . Iam lucky i found a scrap consumer who can shall out that much. of late i have heard from him that the scrap is still running fine for the past 6 months and he is happy.
I really don't know about all these scraps and the value of the metal really Sir. But to be very honest, I found it extremely difficult to even get inquiry calls after having posted in several leading used car forums including tbhp. I had quoted a very reasonable price, but still failed to get calls in a big city like Bangalore. The used car dealer were very pessimistic about buying a Manza due to existing stocks. I had maintained the car in pristine shape with very low reading.I just got three calls, the third person bought the car at a dead cheap price. All these stunts happened for a period of over three months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
If ever , whenever, wherever caught in such type of situation,
just call 1800 209 7979 . this is the emergency assist number.

Getting the Horn function correctly is no big deal.
So please dont strike off the Zest from your list of probables just becuase someone has had this experience from his Manza.
I did use one of this kinda service from Tata. They were honest in responding.

Getting the Horn issue fixed is no great deal, you say and I may agree!!. But looks like TATA A.S.S does not know how to fix it.They never rectified the issue.

Last edited by rki2007 : 14th January 2015 at 15:50.
Old 14th January 2015, 16:00   #1682
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
I really don't know about all these scraps and the value of the metal really Sir. But to be very honest, I found it extremely difficult to even get inquiry calls after having posted in several leading used car forums including tbhp. I had quoted a very reasonable price, but still failed to get calls in a big city like Bangalore. The used car dealer were very pessimistic about buying a Manza due to existing stocks. I had maintained the car in pristine shape with very low reading.I just got three calls, the third person bought the car at a dead cheap price. All these stunts happened for a period of over three months.
Initially i too did got response when i posted without photos. with photos i got good response and with 2 days sold it. Even dealer offered me 2.6 in exchange while buying ARIA
rkg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 21:15   #1683

A couple of queries from the Zest Owners -

1. When I took delivery of my Zest (XT RT) on 26th Dec, the Odo had a reading of 30 km and the KPL reading was 8. I have topped the tank since then have been able to drive just 300 km (all in City mode and Econ on) and the KPL reading has improved to 10.9. Since there are owners who have quoted higher figures in city driving, how long does it take for the engine to open up and the average to improve?

2. I am still yet to get the documents for the Gold AMC and Extended warranty after 20 days of delivery. Have been told by Tejaswi Motors - Hyderabad, they are still in transit though my delivery documents stated they would be handed over by the 5th Jan. Is that normal since I have come across people stating that all documents were handed over at the time of delivery itself.

3. Is it advisable to drive the car in Eco mode during the running in period since the power seems to drop significantly?

Otherwise the car drives like a dream with no hassles/niggles. I am especially happy since this is the first car (sedan) in which the ergonomics feel just right for my height (185 cm). I do find inserting the key into the ignition slot a bit uncomfortable.

Would appreciate some inputs on the above.
Old 14th January 2015, 21:58   #1684
BHPian

Quote:

This was not the case with my Manza, I could open the boot with the key without the requirement to unlock the whole car. Really don't know what Tata thought in Zest.
I think alarm going off after opening the boot in the locked car is the right security response, isn't it? Because locked car should not allow any which way for the other person to get into car and boot is also one of the opening from where you can get in the car. Looks like they have corrected in Zest from Manaza.
Old 14th January 2015, 23:35   #1685
BHPian

Well, in my XMS, boot can be opened without unlocking the car. Not sure why it shouldn't be so in the XT.
Old 15th January 2015, 11:39   #1686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Saab View Post
A couple of queries from the Zest Owners.

1. I had taken the delivery of my XT (RT) with an Odo reading of 30 and a KPL reading of 8. I had been able to log just 300 km since (City mode and Econ on) then and the KPL reading has improved to 10.9. How long does it take for the engine to open up and KPL to stabilize since others have quoted higher figures in city driving?

3. Is it advisable to drive Eco mode during the running in period since the power seems to drop significantly as if the engine is being strained?

Otherwise the car runs like a dream. I find the ergonomics just just right for my height (185 cm) which is a first in all the cars I have owned till date. I do find inserting the ignition key into the slot a bit uncomfortable.

Would appreciate any inputs on the above issues.
Dear Colonel

1. Regarding average : Zest is known to give upwards of 14 KMPL in city conditions and upto 18 on the highway as quoted by some people in the forum. To observe the correct average, set the trip meter to zero and start observing the FE in a long drive. As per the logic of average displayed on the driver info system, even the idling counts, so a vehicle out of the showroom always will show a poor average due to the idling involved and slow 1st and second gear movement here and there. I suggest you set both your trip meters to zero and start observing the average which i am sure would drastically improve from the present levels.

3. Yes, it is very safe to drive in eco mode during run in if you are within the specified speed and rpm limit.
SAE40 in veins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2015, 11:45   #1687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Saab View Post
A couple of queries from the Zest Owners.

1. When I took delivery of my Zest (XT RT) on 26th Dec, the Odo had a reading of 30 km and the KPL reading was 8. I have topped the tank since then have been able to drive just 300 km (all in City mode and Econ on) and the KPL reading has improved to 10.9. Since there are owners who have quoted higher figures in city driving, how long does it take for the engine to open up and the average to improve?
FE figures will stabilize to ~13 kpl post 500-600 kms . My XT RT has done 2500 kms since I brought it home in dec-14. Gives bw 11 to 13 in city traffic and 15-16 on highways. It does not show any significant improvement in FE in ECO mode Vis-à-vis the default city mode. Power reduces by a fair amount. And I have to re-select the eco mode every time I start the car in start-stop traffic(not pleased).

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 15th January 2015 at 19:04. Reason: Fixed quote
mayankverma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 00:49   #1688

Hey people been a while since I started following this thread . I got my Zest XMA F-tronic Pristine White delivered last week that is on the 5th of January to be more precise. I some how find there are very few takers for the Zest AMT. People either go in for the revotron or the diesel manual variants . However, The Zest has completely surprised me and so has TATA . The car drives and feels really good . It took me a day to understand the behaviour of the AMT but once you get a hold of it the car is a breeze to drive in the city. Around 800 K.M done so far . I am getting an average FE of 12 to 13 kmpl in city with Ac on .

Now here's the interesting part. I took the delivery of my car at 8.30 p.m as there was some delay in getting my car registered and I was particular in getting it delivered on the 5th. The staff at Concorde Motors patiently waited for my car to come and left only after the standard delivery procedure was completed .However after 2 days when i was in the middle of the road i found the windshield was really dusty so I pull the wiper stalk to spray water and bang the wiper stalk was completely dead was not working at all .Checked everything but the wiper stalk at the time of delivery and all my friends started scolding me for buying the TATA . I called up Concorde Motors and they asked me to drive down to their service station immediately .

I took it at 5.45 p.m a team of 5 people lead by Mr. Dinakar promptly attended and asked me to wait in the lounge . After 20 minutes he comes and tells me that the problem seems to be with the wiper motor and the bumper has to be dismantled for the issue to be checked .He asked me to return the car whenever I had time and leave it for 2 hours because it was already time and all there staff had left for the day. I drove back reluctantly kept thinking if I made a mistake . The issue was pretty small but then I had trust issues with TATA my dad owned an INDICA in 2004 and the car was pretty troublesome right from the time we bought it .
Then again the next morning at 10.30 a.m I took the car and handed it over to Mr.Dinakar and was waiting in the lounge for the issue to be checked and verified. He came back to me in 20 minutes and said that there was some problem with the wiper motor that has been rectified but as he and his team were not fully satisfied they applied for a part replacement under warranty and was waiting for approval from TATA to get it replaced. I was in a hurry to go to the bank as it was a Saturday and told him to make it soon. At 11.20 a.m that is in less than an hour the motor was replaced and the car was handed over to me. Dinakar ensured that my gate pass and papers were ready and I was out in no time . I was really happy and surprised with TATA's service team . I mean they had a faulty part replaced under warranty in less than an hours time. I don't think even Maruti does it that quick

Finally the change is for real. Way to go TATA .
rah1555 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 09:25   #1689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah1555;
I was really happy and surprised with TATA's service team . I mean they had a faulty part replaced under warranty in less than an hours time. I don't think even Maruti does it that quick

Finally the change is for real. Way to go TATA .
On initially reading your message I got a feeling that you had made a blunder by going for the Zest. But then on reading the climax I was so relieved to know that the faulty part was replaced in no time. This goes to show that the horizon next strategy is just not on paper but it works on ground as well.

However there is still a vast scope for improvement especially on the quality of ancillaries that TML is sourcing from its vendors and on top of that its final inspection dept. If at all a faulty part does find its way on the final assembly line, were the inspection people sleeping when this car was offloaded from the line and packed off to be delivered to the customer. Getting the wiper's proper functioning checked would be on the checklist of every car manufacturer. How come this faulty piece got passed through the final check. TML still needs to pull their socks up to deliver a fault free product as much as possible.
Old 16th January 2015, 09:31   #1690
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I was so relieved to know that the faulty part was replaced in no time. This goes to show that the horizon next strategy is just not on paper but it works on ground as well.
Zest is definitely getting priority for servicing & repair Turn-Around-Time. As told to me by SA's.
Old 16th January 2015, 09:56   #1691
BHPian

Same here every problem reported by me, small ones mainly were taken care of with great importance. I'll detail in my ownership thread.
For every occasion I saw the seats steering gear lever were fully covered with a plastic jacket to save it from grease and dirt. I was surprised by the caring treatment.
arindam_xeta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 14:39   #1692
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Actually Tata has rectified a mistake with the Zest. Being able to open the boot while the car is security locked means the boot is not linked to the central locking, which means it is unsafe. Any forced entry to the boot won't trigger the alarm in such a safe.

In my WagonR (I know it's a hatchback), the boot is central locked and can't be opened without triggering the alarm. It is good to know Tata has rectified the mistake.
Old 16th January 2015, 17:59   #1693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindam_xeta View Post
Same here every problem reported by me, small ones mainly were taken care of with great importance. I'll detail in my ownership thread.
For every occasion I saw the seats steering gear lever were fully covered with a plastic jacket to save it from grease and dirt. I was surprised by the caring treatment.
Very happy to see the evolution of Tata in terms of A.S.S and customer satisfaction. Hope they do the same thing for all their cars and not only Zest and Bolt.
Old 16th January 2015, 18:32   #1694
BHPian

Quote:
Very happy to see the evolution of Tata in terms of A.S.S and customer satisfaction. Hope they do the same thing for all their cars and not only Zest and Bolt.
I beg to differ, Have completed first scheduled service of my Zest last week at Prerana Motors, Peenya Service station, Bangalore and unfortunately did not meet my expectations in terms of quality of work, though the whole team were polite and professional in their approach.

I had listed about 4 issues, none of which were resolved and I had to spend more than 2 hours during delivery to get it fixed. Still one defect pertaining to rear left door auto locking has not been fixed.

I contacted Prerana Sales and Service Incharge and also Tata Motors Customer support, unfortunately have not heard back till date. So I guess, It may be a little early to pop a champagne with respect to Tata ASS.
Old 16th January 2015, 18:56   #1695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isandy View Post
I beg to differ, Have completed first scheduled service of my Zest last week at Prerana Motors, Peenya Service station, Bangalore and unfortunately did not meet my expectations in terms of quality of work, though the whole team were polite and professional in their approach.

I had listed about 4 issues, none of which were resolved and I had to spend more than 2 hours during delivery to get it fixed. Still one defect pertaining to rear left door auto locking has not been fixed.

I contacted Prerana Sales and Service Incharge and also Tata Motors Customer support, unfortunately have not heard back till date. So I guess, It may be a little early to pop a champagne with respect to Tata ASS.
Looks like we will never hear Tata improving in terms of A.S.S. I had Manza for about 4.5 years and I had something or the other niggle in the car all time. The left door lock/unlock lever getting stuck was one among them. Having reported several times to Tata A.S.S, they say that Sir lubrication is done etc etc, but nothing had been fixed.

Now that in the previous post Arindam Xeta said that Tata had improved . I was very happy to hear. But unfortunately my happiness is short lived.

You can try getting your car serviced at KHT in Bangalore. They were very good inititally when they started. Off late true colors are being revealed. But I should say they are better among others.

I have tried everything like writing mails to Tata, complaining about the quality of A.S.S, expressing dissatisfaction post service when you receive a call etc. Nothing has worked.

All the best to you.

Last edited by rki2007 : 16th January 2015 at 18:58.

Most Viewed