Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2015, 18:03   #1951
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Mileage Update - XT RT
Since my last post I have been trying different things and I have observed an increase in mileage. All in city with 100% AC.

I drive for most part in Eco Mode with bursts of Sport.

Set 1 -
I clocked 300 KMS
When I filled the tank it allowed 27.4 ltrs.
(both figs are approximates from my memory)
So I got an avg of 11.xkmpl and my MID showed 11.2 kmpl (pretty accurate)

Set 2 -
I have clocked around 80kms and the MID is showing 12kmpl.

My observations -
1. Accelerate gradually maintain low RPM - Less FE and difficult
2. Accelerate quickly to a point and then decelerate slowly depending upon traffic - better FE and easier.

The deceleration provides with the best mileage figures.

Also tyre pressure is critical here as less pressure would affect FE badly.

Performance -
The sports mode has been fun to drive and would be a joy on highways.

Please feel free to correct if I am suggesting something wrong.

- Slick
Old 21st May 2015, 10:42   #1952
BHPian

Finally a bhpian! This thread has helped me a lot in deciding the car to be purchased and honestly, a good decision overall. A proud owner of Tata Zest XT Revotron. Yes, the FE figure have not been really great but the car has been driven only for 1500 KMs so far and should improve.

And while talking about FE figures, I've noticed that following the recommendations of gear on the MID does help in improving the FE figures substantially but the car is not much fun to drive that way. For the last 400 Kms, I've averaged about 10.5 Kms in City driving following the above. The max I've touched is 16 kmpl on an expressway. Not sure how it is in other cars of this Segment.

Last edited by devilicious : 21st May 2015 at 11:10. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 21st May 2015, 11:47   #1953
BHPian

Friends, need a suggestion. Last few days, I am getting the smell of petrol inside the car. It is quite strong. I plan to contact the service center but meanwhile is there anything specific that I should be checking? I get this smell with both A/C On and Off. I am not very sure, but I think I started getting this after my last refuel which was not full tank.
Old 21st May 2015, 12:46   #1954
BHPian

@iamdeva I too refueled from a different petrol pump HP and started getting petrol smell when windows are rolled down. With Ac though there was no smell. Last day when I drove back home from office I didn't get the smell though. I will be observing it for some more time before I contact service center. My refuel was full tank though. Did you also change the pump where you normally fill from? Can that be a factor?
Prithwitheraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 13:03   #1955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdeva View Post
Friends, need a suggestion. Last few days, I am getting the smell of petrol inside the car....
If it continues for a day or two more then take it to the A.S.S.

I had this issue in my WagonR and took it to the A.S.S., they said the petrol hose was leaking and replaced it. They charged me for Taking the tank down.

This shouldn't happen for a new car, My WagonR is pretty old.

Though Zest being in warranty you shouldn't have to pay anything.

- Slick
Slick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 13:57   #1956
Senior - BHPian

9-10 kmpl for a Petrol compact Sedan is defnitly not acceptable.

For reference, the Xcent gives around 12-13 in typical city conditions with 100% AC whereas the Swift is more or less the same too. Amaze is more in the 11-12 km category. But none of these give single digit economy.
DCEite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 14:16   #1957
BHPian

I have used the same petrol pump so that should not be an issue. Will wait for couple of days and take it to A.S.S. I am also getting a low fuel economy of 10 or less. Will get that checked as well.

Last edited by ampere : 21st May 2015 at 14:18. Reason: Minor typo corrected.
Old 21st May 2015, 15:17   #1958
Senior - BHPian

Just curious to know what FE figure did Tata advertise for Zest Revotron.
Old 21st May 2015, 15:31   #1959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Just curious to know what FE figure did Tata advertise for Zest Revotron.
I do not remember any advertisement that stressed on the Fuel Efficiency figure of the Zest Revotron. Perhaps they purposely did not stress on it as they would be aware of its not-so-great mileage. A quick check on their website reveals that ARAI rating for the Revotron is 17.57 kmpl.

Yes, 9-10 kmpl is indeed low for this segment. This is a big factor going against what is a very good car otherwise.
Old 21st May 2015, 16:00   #1960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
I do not remember any advertisement that stressed on the Fuel Efficiency figure of the Zest Revotron. Perhaps they purposely did not stress on it as they would be aware of its not-so-great mileage. A quick check on their website reveals that ARAI rating for the Revotron is 17.57 kmpl. Yes, 9-10 kmpl is indeed low for this segment. This is a big factor going against what is a very good car otherwise.
That's a huge difference. Raises a question mark about the validity of ARAI testing. It'll be interesting to compare ARAI figures for different cars with actual world figures and see where Zest stands.
Old 21st May 2015, 16:10   #1961
Senior - BHPian

I have a question : Are the 90 PS and 75 PS Fiat engines the same mechanically with just different ECU maps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
I do not remember any advertisement that stressed on the Fuel Efficiency figure of the Zest Revotron. Perhaps they purposely did not stress on it as they would be aware of its not-so-great mileage. A quick check on their website reveals that ARAI rating for the Revotron is 17.57 kmpl.
Yes, 9-10 kmpl is indeed low for this segment. This is a big factor going against what is a very good car otherwise.
Although the FE figures are low as compared to 17.5 kmpl ARAI claimed, but I find them acceptable. The reason, I have a Nano for which Tata claims close to 24 kmpl ARAI but I hardly get more than 16 kmpl with AC ON in city. This is a 600 cc engine (nano), thus I think that 10 kmpl for Zest should be acceptable in this regard.

Last edited by mercedised : 21st May 2015 at 16:15.
Old 21st May 2015, 16:33   #1962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
I have a question : Are the 90 PS and 75 PS Fiat engines the same mechanically with just different ECU maps?
90 PS version has variable geometry turbo.
Old 21st May 2015, 16:36   #1963
BANNED

The polo GT TSi also has a claimed average of 17 and we all know what that gets.
Everything depends on the driving style.
Old 21st May 2015, 16:45   #1964
Senior - BHPian

The whole idea of a turbo petrol was to improve mileage by boosting up low end torque. But I am wondering if the extra weight of Tata cars also has to play a role here. The Zest is around 150kgs heavier than competition - 15% heavier than the Swift Dzire. Wonder what Dzire owners get under similar driving conditions.
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 17:59   #1965
Senior - BHPian

Most of the queries/ complaints are regarding RT and AMT. Low mileage for the RT and issues with AMT under certain conditions.

Can we assume that other aspects are more or less okay?

Diesel FE was seldom mentioned in ads or at the dealerships. I have seen once somewhere that the D FE was 22 - odd kmpl.

Today, an ad for the AMT mentions 21.7 kmpl.

Did any one took their car to second service ( the 15 K one where they change oil for the first time). Or did any one cross the 10 K mark.

Mine, an XM D, did 13,800 km ( took delivery on 15.10.2014). No issues till date, ride is very good, the AC is very effective in mid May, the FE around 20 kmpl.

Most Viewed