Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2015, 22:02   #2086
BHPian

Sports mode in AMT? I thought only the diesel had AMT in Zest. Have they come out with AMT in the petrol now?..
Old 29th July 2015, 15:06   #2087
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Oh yes the price, 9 lakhs plus on road Mumbai for the top end Zest AMT, What was Tata thinking ?
Which other diesel automatic does one get at 9L OTR? And the car is pretty loaded with features too, so well worth the price.

On a separate note, I think the diesel suits this car well, and I would have considered it if I had the budget. Unfortunately I didn't, and with a 7L OTR hard-stop, had to go for the XT Petrol (ABS and Airbags being non-negotiable). Quite happy so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobydick1983 View Post
Sports mode in AMT? I thought only the diesel had AMT in Zest. Have they come out with AMT in the petrol now?..
The AT has an "S" button for sports mode that hold each gear longer. This is not the City, Eco, Sports engine mapping modes of the Revotron.

Last edited by VeluM : 29th July 2015 at 15:08. Reason: Added quote.
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 17:10   #2088
BHPian

Has anyone noticed a strange behavior on the Revotron Zest as mentioned below. Tried with all the doors closed but do not know if this will make any difference:

1. DO NOT press the clutch. Turn on the ignition and turn it fully to the 'Engine Start' position and hold it there.

2. Insert a charger into the 12v power socket next to the gear lever while the key is held at the 'Engine Start' position.

The parking lights and the associated interior illumination blinks for about 2 seconds and goes off. The variant in question is an XMS. Trying to find out if this is a bug or something specific to the particular car before letting the service lay their hands on it.

Last edited by alphahere : 29th July 2015 at 17:12.
Old 29th July 2015, 23:09   #2089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
Has anyone noticed a strange behavior on the Revotron Zest as mentioned below. Tried with all the doors closed but do not know if this will make any difference:

1. DO NOT press the clutch. Turn on the ignition and turn it fully to the 'Engine Start' position and hold it there.

2. Insert a charger into the 12v power socket next to the gear lever while the key is held at the 'Engine Start' position.

The parking lights and the associated interior illumination blinks for about 2 seconds and goes off. The variant in question is an XMS. Trying to find out if this is a bug or something specific to the particular car before letting the service lay their hands on it.
I wouldn't suggest going to the dealer for a rare and improbable case like this. How many of us would hold the key in ON position for a car that is not turning ON? (Not turning ON since the clutch is not pressed) And then put in the charger with the other hand? May be the car is trying to say "Are you drunk? Wakeup !" .

Jokes apart, I guess that when the car is off, the control computer is looking for you to open the doors, in which case, it has to turn ON the interior light. May be the charger input was resetting something and the logic has gone bad. I don't think anyone should try this on their Zests.
zesty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 06:12   #2090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty View Post
I wouldn't suggest going to the dealer for a rare and improbable case like this.
The issue is actually not at all rare and improbable even though my steps are . I have just mentioned the steps like that just to replicate the parking lights blinking without failure and to keep the engine from unnecessarily firing up. To put things more into perspective, if there is a charger in the 12v socket and you start the car, the parking lights will blink while the key is turned to the crank position. It happens always. Moreover for different brand of chargers this behaviour varies. One brand causes the parking light to stay on till the key is released whereas another brand causes the parking light to blink only.
Old 30th July 2015, 12:21   #2091
BHPian

After multiple rounds of test ride and analysis of reviews, I finally purchased Zest (delivered on 17-Jul-15). The variant is Zest XMS Qjt.

I had shortlisted the following cars before making the final decision:

1. Maruti Swift Dzire: I had considered a VXI, but decided against it as it does not have ABS and Airbags. The dealer did not have a Petrol variant for test drive. They offered Test ride on VDI - Ridiculous!
On insisting that I need test ride of a petrol variant only, they offered test ride of Swift (not Dzire).
Dzire VDI (has ABS but no airbags) Pune on road price was 8.16L - Not a single rupee discount available; Old car valued at 90k.
Decided not to go for it as Maruti service costs are on a higher side (widest network, but high service costs).

3. Hyundai Xcent: This was a natural upgrade path as my previous car was a Hyundai (Santro Xing XL, 2005 manufactured). The music system, overall fit and finish was great - nothing to complain really. Only issue was- The rear seat could not accommodate 3 adults (comfortably).
Hyundai guys had offered 1.3L for old car, and discounts in range of 30k! The deal was too good to resist, however I kept the decision on hold as I wanted to try other options.

2. Toyota Etios V (Petrol): Comes with ABS and Airbags. The ride quality is simple awesome! One of the finest suspension setup I have experienced - literally glides over potholes. The cabin space as well as boot space is best in class. Toyota dealer was claiming that the service costs are the lowest (30 paisa per km); I verified this with a friend who owns Etios since last 3+ years).
Downside - The sheet metal used seems extremely tinny- Not sure of the safety aspect in case of any impact (read accident).
On road price was 7.86L, and dealer was offering discount of around 20K. My old car was valued at 1.1L. Overall it seemed like a good deal. I had almost decided to book, however decided to give Zest a try before making final decision.

4. Tata Zest Diesel: Had 2 test rides. Found the torque curve to be linear (very much petrol like). Verified that the rear seat comfortably accommodates 3 adults.
The ride quality was better than Xcent, but honestly - Etios was better.
The mid-variant i.e. XMS comes with safety features i.e. ABS, Airbags and was decently loaded (Harmon music system, steering mounted controls etc). The Fiat multi-jet engine has been in use on Tata vehicle since many years and is well tried and tested.

Finally decided to go for Tata Zest XMS Diesel!

One thing was very clear for me - If I buy a Tata vehicle, it would be Diesel. Petrol was not even in consideration.

On road price was 7.92L. Insurance was free. Old car was valued at 1.15L, however I bargained for 5k more i.e. final value offered for old car was 1.2L. Mud flap and floor mats were offered free. The Pristine White color is sold at premium of 5K, however that too was discounted.
I added reverse parking sensors and seat covers (both from Tata showroom itself). The total on-road (after handing over old Santro) was around 6.6L.
Experience so far:
1. I have done around 400kms so far. Mostly in city. The MID is showing fuel efficiency of 17.2kmpl. Not sure how accurate it is, but seems nice! The sales representative told that the efficiency could improve after first service.
2. The cabin space is decent. The quality of plastic is good. Boot space is lesser than Etios (there is really no comparison here), but adequate for my needs.
3. The A/C is supercool, even at blower speed of 1. The seats are very comfortable.
4. Looks are subjective, but I find it to be a looker :-)
5. Visited the showroom yesterday evening for a Free Monsoon checkup. They checked basics like breaks, oil level, coolant level etc. Everything was fine. I wanted to be sure that my car does not have Mud-In-the-Engine-Bay issue. Myself and the service engineer opened the bonnet together and found no traces of mud; I am satisfied with that. I am told by the service engineer that the issue has been fixed in all cars delivered after Feb-2015.
bulletboy76 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 01:06   #2092
BHPian

After reading through this whole thread, finally booked and got my XT Quadrajet today. Thanks a ton to all those who provided valuable insights !!!
himarg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 15:57   #2093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himarg View Post
After reading through this whole thread, finally booked and got my XT Quadrajet today. Thanks a ton to all those who provided valuable insights !!!
Congratulations on the purchase, and welcome to Team BHP! Do share your ownership experience and a few photos of your new car when possible.

What offers did you get on the XT Diesel in Pune?
Old 2nd August 2015, 22:15   #2094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Congratulations on the purchase, and welcome to Team BHP! Do share your ownership experience and a few photos of your new car when possible.

What offers did you get on the XT Diesel in Pune?
Thanks VeluM. I will put up the photos, probably over the next weekend. Ownership experience will have to wait until I have covered a few thousand kilometers.

The dealer I dealt with did not , probably he made it out that I am already decided on Zest. All I got was :
  • a measly 5K discount
  • zero dep insurance cover (included in the cost for comprehensive insurance)
  • mud flaps and floor mats

For my peace of mind, I paid 8K extra for Gold AMC too, though I am not sure if it will be really useful (I didn't think it through at the time I decided to get it, and later realized that with my monthly running distances, it probably will end up unused).

PS: Anybody planning to purchase any Tata Vehicle from Pandit Automobiles, Pimpri, Pune - please be advised that the folks there will try to force the Swagat call on you even before providing you with a demo and showing you all the accessories and complete documentation, asking for a rating of 9-10 shamelessly.

Regards,
H
himarg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 12:10   #2095

Tata Zest XMS dun beige new car on 31/07/2015

purchased a new car on 31/07/2015 on guru purnima day

After going through the initial hiccups of what car to take we finally decided that tata zest would suit our needs

1. good looking---as there were too many swift desires in my city
2. easy maintainance--as tata cars are supposed to cost less in maintainance
3. mileage--went for diesel though we run less than 1000 km in one month
4. showroom- as we have only tata/maruthi/hyundai showrooms in my city

The dealership experience was good while selling of my volswagen polo diesel highline and purchase of new car. One Marketing gentlemen Bhaskar Raju took care of all the things and was ready to get me a car loan which I did not need.

Though I had owned maruthi800, fiat petra, toyota innova, toyota etios liva and lastly volkswagen polo I found to my experience zest was easy to drive after innova.

I have completed about 100 km on the car

I found zest to have lot of road noise and probably as advised in this forum change of tires can change that

there are no holes/space to hold even one litre bottle- this can be irritating in long drives

I will post the pictures and my experience with car as it goes along.

ordered 3d mats, seat covers, etc from ebay

any advices from the forum is gratefully accepted
dsnreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 02:09   #2096
BHPian

Update: I have completed about 300 KMs on my new XT QJT, and there seems to be an issue with the suspension.

While going over speed breakers, no matter how slow the car is, I can hear a distinct sound from the drivers corner, which I am attributing to the suspension, but am not 100% sure. Will take the car to the service station this weekend.

Has anyone else faced anything similar? I have read a few posts in this thread about sound from suspension while driving into potholes, but I do not remember anything about speed breakers.

Also, has anyone got an aftermarket car cover? If yes, can you please point me to the link? All I could find on Amazon and other sites were some covers with images that are definitely not Zest.
himarg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 19:58   #2097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update: I have completed about 300 KMs on my new ....

While going over speed breakers, no matter how slow the car is, I can hear a distinct sound from the drivers corner,

Also, has anyone got an aftermarket car cover? If yes, can you please point me to the link? All I could find on Amazon and other sites were some covers with images that are definitely not Zest.
Noice maight be from some malfunctioning/ ill fitted bush would be the standard reply. However, the issue would be easily sorted out and Zest has one of the strongest suspension setup in its class.

Didnt dealership have the body cover? If you wanta genuine product then try Dzire's body cover. It is a good fit and costs 1200.

I bought Zest in October 2014. At that time neither dealership nor the market had them. As Dzire was of identical length and had antenna at the rear, I tried my friend's Dzire 's cover and bought it.

Zest's cover, as was informed by dealer later, costs 1600.

Last edited by simplyself : 7th August 2015 at 19:59.
simplyself is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 02:47   #2098
BHPian

After so much of test drives, enquiries, bargains and advices booked my second car on Aug 1 2015. Zest XT QJD from MK Motors Kottayam. Avoided RF Motors Ernakulam from whom I purchased my Indigo eCS LX as they didn't offer any extra discount to retain me. Car will be delivered after Aug 16. Will post more updates shortly. Eagerly waiting to be behind the QJD 90.
ranjithrnath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 04:20   #2099
BHPian

Quote:
While going over speed breakers, no matter how slow the car is, I can hear a distinct sound from the drivers corner.
Hello, why not try and see if the plastic mudguard that covers the wheel well is getting in contact anywhere with the tyre or when the suspension compresses.
I had an instance of a loose mudguard and had it corrected on the Manza.
Old 8th August 2015, 18:55   #2100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Didnt dealership have the body cover?
They did, but the price quoted by them for the strap on seat covers was 10K and that made sure that I did not buy any accessory from them. Most probably the dealer is overcharging for accessories (I haven't yet checked anywhere else for genuine TML accessories prices, hence cannot be sure, but I can easily get a skin fit seat cover job done for approx. 8K).

I will try with Dzire cover though, that sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks