Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2017, 21:38   #2641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rama Naveen View Post
Today visited Brindavan motors Authorized service centre and found this car lying outside in this devastated condition.
Manager confirmed all car members survived with minor injuries and this proves how safe is Zest.
This was without airbags?
If yes, then indeed seems like a 'strong' vehicle.
Old 22nd March 2017, 17:32   #2642
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

A query to fellow BHPians as well as owners of Zest.

With the launch of Kite-5/Tigor compact sedan, what do you think will be the future of its elder sibling Zest? Will Tata discontinue the Bolt-Zest twins? Or move them over to Taxi segment completely?

I understand that Tigor sits below the Zest in the product portfolio due to its smaller capacity engines (both petrol and diesel). Yet, in some aspects, Tigor seems to have an edge over Zest such as:

1. More cubby holes / cabin storage space in Tigor (real Achilles' heel for Zest)
2. Larger boot (419 ltr Tigor with pneumatic struts vs 390 ltr Zest)
3. Better fuel economy in both petrol and diesel avatars
4. Tigor, I think, comes with arm rest at the rear with bottle holders. Zest doesn't have this.
5. Both Zest and Tigor have projector headlamps

I'm just curious, who will buy the Zest when Tigor is available at a lower price? Only folks who want more horses?

Other than engine only other plus of Zest over Tigor that I can think of - rear seat space. I have sat inside both Zest and Tiago. Zest feels more spacious in the rear seat compared to Tiago. 3 adults will be more of a squeeze in Tiago/Tigor compared to Zest.
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2017, 18:47   #2643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
A query to fellow BHPians as well as owners of Zest.

With the launch of Kite-5/Tigor compact sedan, what do you think will be the future of its elder sibling Zest? Will Tata discontinue the Bolt-Zest twins? Or move them over to Taxi segment completely?

I understand that Tigor sits below the Zest in the product portfolio due to its smaller capacity engines (both petrol and diesel). Yet, in some aspects, Tigor seems to have an edge over Zest such as:

1. More cubby holes / cabin storage space in Tigor (real Achilles' heel for Zest)
2. Larger boot (419 ltr Tigor with pneumatic struts vs 390 ltr Zest)
3. Better fuel economy in both petrol and diesel avatars
4. Tigor, I think, comes with arm rest at the rear with bottle holders. Zest doesn't have this.
5. Both Zest and Tigor have projector headlamps

I'm just curious, who will buy the Zest when Tigor is available at a lower price? Only folks who want more horses?

Other than engine only other plus of Zest over Tigor that I can think of - rear seat space. I have sat inside both Zest and Tiago. Zest feels more spacious in the rear seat compared to Tiago. 3 adults will be more of a squeeze in Tiago/Tigor compared to Zest.
Zest face lift is allegedly around the corner.

Wonder what all changes will be seen there.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 23:08   #2644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the well thought through post. I think you've pretty much nailed the rationale for why someone might consider the Zest over the Tigor. The only thing I'd add here is that in my opinion, if one is partial to a diesel powertrain, the Zest offers a much better power to fuel economy compromise (based on initial reviews of the Tigor diesel). And the Zest diesel has the optional AMT that the Tigor might not see very soon, especially because Tata recently launched the Tiago AMT with the petrol engine.

In a recent interview with Mayank Pareek after the Tigor launch, Hormazd Sorabjee asked "What happens to the Zest now?". Mr. Pareek hinted that in terms of market positioning, it makes sense for the company to have options in each "sub-segment" (i.e. providing granular options even within the sub 4m compact sedan segment). To me, that seems like something from Maruti's playbook -- Mr. Pareek's a Maruti veteran -- wherein a customer gets to choose from within the manufacturer's portfolio rather than a competitor's range of products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Zest face lift is allegedly around the corner.
Wonder what all changes will be seen there.
The timing does seem right. We are approximately 2.5 years since the Zest's introduction.
Amartya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 15:07   #2645
BHPian

An observation comparing two zests (XT Quadrajet) (my one May 2016 model and a friends Oct 2016 model)- Last week got my Zest 2nd servicing done as 15000 kms were up. Personally got the air filter cleaned by hot air blower other than the routine stuff, noticed slightly better pick up and was satisfied.

Now the next day happened to drive this friends Zest and what i noticed was 1) Engine noise inside the cabin was noticeably more than in mine. 2) The pull (pick up) was much better in the 2nd and 3rd gears compared to mine.

Got this confirmed from a neutral third friend who drove both our Zests. Now i am wondering how come the above two points and what action do I or my friend need to take regarding the cars? Please note My Zest has clocked 15000 kms and my friend's 13000 kms.

Any comment or inputs will be highly appreciated.
Regards
Rohan.

Last edited by rosaf : 29th March 2017 at 15:09. Reason: Spelling and grammatical mistakes
Old 30th March 2017, 20:28   #2646
BHPian

Has anyone cared to find out how accurate is the MID with regards to the FE calculation ?
Old 30th March 2017, 20:35   #2647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
Has anyone cared to find out how accurate is the MID with regards to the FE calculation ?
I own a Zest XMS Revotron (petrol).
In my experience, mileage shown by MID is typically 1.5 to 2 kmpl more than mileage calculated by tankful method. Hope this helps.
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2017, 20:48   #2648
BHPian

Quote:
I own a Zest XMS Revotron (petrol).
In my experience, mileage shown by MID is typically 1.5 to 2 kmpl more than mileage calculated by tankful method. Hope this helps.
I am just a bit worried by the mileage of my pre owned Tata Bolt RT as i got a mileage of approx 13.5 per the MID for a 1000Km roundtrip that involved approx 550 kms of driving up the Himalayas. And my back of the mind calualtion puts in a lower figure of around 12 to the entire trip. Never really exceeded 105kmph. And mostly good roads. 60% AC usage. Shift points at 2.3-2.5k RPM. Mostly CIty mode. I was honestly expecting a bit more. In all fairness i did climb to approx 2000 mts above sea level !
Old 31st March 2017, 10:14   #2649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
I am just a bit worried by the mileage of my pre owned Tata Bolt RT as i got a mileage of approx 13.5 per the MID for a 1000Km roundtrip that involved approx 550 kms of driving up the Himalayas. And my back of the mind calualtion puts in a lower figure of around 12 to the entire trip. Never really exceeded 105kmph. And mostly good roads. 60% AC usage. Shift points at 2.3-2.5k RPM. Mostly CIty mode. I was honestly expecting a bit more. In all fairness i did climb to approx 2000 mts above sea level !
Well, I have no experience driving around Himalayas.
I have done Chennai-Bangalore few times though. It equates an altitude gain of about 1000 mts. Distance is about 360 kms. Gear shifts around 2000-2200 rpm with typical cruising speeds of 80-90 kmph. Mostly City mode driving with 100% AC and excellent roads. MID usually shows about 18-19 kmpl. Tankful method yields around 16 to 17 kmpl. Hope this helps.

I guess, it is well-known by now that the Turbo-petrol 1.2L Revotron in Bolt/Zest is quite sensitive to driving style. Mine is fairly sedate with typical cruising speeds of about 80-90 kmph with occasional dash at 100kmph - definitely no pedal-to-metal stuff.
Old 31st March 2017, 10:47   #2650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Guys any reviews on the Zest AMT? How is the gearbox in terms of long term reliability and Tata's after sales competency in dealing with any issues that may crop up. At 9L OTR, the Zest makes a very serious case for itself.
I had bought the XMA right at its launch, so have had the car now for 29 months and have driven it in different conditions for more than 30k kms. We have a number of other cars in our family and mostly from different OEs, and this was our first Tata. I got this confidence to put my money behind the big T after my successful experience of XUV500, which is now around 54 months and 80k kms.

I am a spirited driver most of the time even though most of my commute happens in peak hours in Delhi. That was the reason I wanted to take a Auto and a Diesel, back then I was averaging close to 2k kms a month and was getting tired of lugging around the Big Cat around Delhi.

While I do believe that the AMT in Zest is not the best box out there, but along with that engine its just pure joy. Sure its jerky if you have a heavy foot (especially in 1st & 2nd) and sure it does some time break later than it suppose to in B2B traffic, sure it also doesn't come with creep so to some it doesn't inspire confidence for incline start-offs. But I feel these are the Personalities of this AMT box and like anyone, you do not notice them as some time passes. I can also assure you, if you get clear roads the engine and the gearbox has a pulling power (almost a swift turbo experience), which puts a grin on your face almost every time (coupled with the gearbox being overeager to downshift), and you add the 'SPORT' mode to that and you have a quite a performer in this segment.

The car oevr and above the gearbox is extremely comfortable, pliant, solid, great music system, light steering, great riding position, height. Coupled with that even though it is a great VFM, you would just never feel that you made a compromise by going with the big T, this was the first car I believe from their stable to shed that 'cheapness'. The car is almost sans any rattle and while other than the mats I have not done anything to the interior, the car still feels pretty new.

The only downside is - first, Zest is likely to become a commercial taxi vehicle only (as per my last conversation at the ASS) and second, while we did get the box without the creep, this is an older box in terms of tech, and you soon will have an option of that in TIGOR. If these two doesnt trouble you, go for Zest, it is better equipped than the Dzire AGS, more room, feels like a better put together car and costs less. I understand that the S will offer a better resale than T, but I just sold a S after 8 years of ownership and I can safely tell you the diesel resale after 6+ years has lived off its charm (these cars mostly will land up going outside Delhi) and the difference will further squeeze with an AMT in the foray (not ideal choice for Tier-3 towns and hinterlands). Thus, no point worrying too much on re-sale as long as the car can age well in the long ownership, which I feel the T will do better than S.

I hope I am able to give you a better perspective, along with other fellow AMT owners on the forum.
AGwagon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2017, 12:11   #2651
BHPian

My Jan 2015 XMA and my Friend's Dec 2014 XMS came with Tata Green batteries. The batteries have an 18 month warranty and both have konked off soon after the warranty expired. My friend's in 19 months and mine after 26 months. The original battery in my Manza was an Exide and it lasted for about 6 years.
So anyone buying a new car off the shelf, make sure you select one which has an exide or any other brand except Tata Green.

Also, the service center says that the auto tensioner on my XMA needs replacement. My car is at 36,500 KM on the odo. Can anyone tell me if an auto tensioner replacement at this reading is normal?
Old 31st March 2017, 12:39   #2652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
The only downside is - first, Zest is likely to become a commercial taxi vehicle only (as per my last conversation at the ASS)
It has already become one. Last week I was in Kolkata and i booked an UBER for my airport drop - off. Lo & behold, up popped a white ZEST at my doorstep! The driver was mightily proud of his new acquisition and went on raving about the Zest's performance, ride and even spoke well about Tata's after sales service.
The Zest i was in, was 3 months and 8000 kms old. Maybe a tad low for a cab. But it was devoid of any squeaks and rattles from the trims. The suspension was particularly pliant over Kolkata's undulating roads!
As for the power-train, I was not sure, (i was running late and could not pop open the hood for a quick peek), but the diesel hum, from outside,sounded exactly like the old Indica/Indigo TDi engine at idle.
Old 31st March 2017, 12:41   #2653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enobarbus View Post
My Jan 2015 XMA and my Friend's Dec 2014 XMS came with Tata Green batteries. The batteries have an 18 month warranty and both have konked off soon after the warranty expired. My friend's in 19 months and mine after 26 months. The original battery in my Manza was an Exide and it lasted for about 6 years.
So anyone buying a new car off the shelf, make sure you select one which has an exide or any other brand except Tata Green.

Also, the service center says that the auto tensioner on my XMA needs replacement. My car is at 36,500 KM on the odo. Can anyone tell me if an auto tensioner replacement at this reading is normal?
Mine, a 2014 October purchase, is an XM D 90. I clocked about 56,000 km. It has Tata Green battery. Battery is good till now. Car runs with AC on all the time. However, it must be added that I use it only for longer runs....about 80 to 100 km trips.

Do u mean auto tensioner for timing belt? My car was last serviced at 46,500 km. There was no such replacement.
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2017, 14:37   #2654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Do u mean auto tensioner for timing belt? My car was last serviced at 46,500 km. There was no such replacement.
Thanks a lot simplyself. Good that your battery lasted.

Yes the auto tensioner is for the belt. It costs appx 5000. My Manza was serviced at Mallik cars Hyderabad as long as I used it (upto 84000 km). It is now at 1,20,000 kilometers and is being used for commercial purposes. Since the last service at Malik cars, it was serviced only once at a FNG (I know, it is very sad). But we didn't have to change the tensioner in that car as well.

I will take the XMA to Malik cars for a second opinion.
Old 31st March 2017, 16:40   #2655
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post

The only downside is - first, Zest is likely to become a commercial taxi vehicle only (as per my last conversation at the ASS)
Thanks for your informative post. I have always admired the Zest and my parents were mighty impressed with the car too. Infact last year, I helped my maternal uncle to buy the same and both me and my father have driven that car and enjoyed it to the core. The only downside this time was the introduction of the same in the Taxi market and the talks of shifting all focus on Tigor and Tiago. IIRC at the time of launch, Tata motors had claimed that the Zest and Bolt would not be offered for the Taxi segment at all to help maintain the exclusivity in the private car segment. With that dilution now happening, we finally booked the Ecosport AT instead. We would have gladly booked the Tigor if it was offered with an AT box.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks