Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2017, 12:27   #2716
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins View Post
New scam initiated by TATA ARYA MOTORS in Gurgaon( authorized TATA workshop)

They are refusing to cashless insurance claim (even for a zero Dep cashless policy for my TATA zest) if the policy is bought from outside and not the workshop. The is a new low for TATA motors after sales service. Attached below is the mail received from them.
I had faced a similar issue in Feb 2016 with my Indigo eCS after accident repairs at Concorde motors. They said since I took the insurance from outside [NIAL] they cannot process cashless claim. We sent a mail to TATA and NIAL complaining against Concorde and things were taken up at higher level escalation and my vehicle was released the next day.

Shoot a mail bro...It will work out....
ranjithrnath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 15:23   #2717
BHPian

Hi, I have owned a Tata Zest XM Petrol for close to 2 years now and I regret the day I decided to invest in one. Firstly had issues with the service center - Fortune Motors Thane, then changed to Atulya and now George Automobiles in Thane.
1. Every monsoon one of my tail lights stops functioning and I am advised by the service centers to change that. Which I did not, but the moment monsoon stops, the tail light works just fine. Till date no one has been able to resolve the issue.
2. Into the second year and just a little over 10k kilometers down the shock-absorbers start making all sort of squeaking sounds and also the fuel efficiency dipped to 8KMPL. I took my care to George Automobiles, who after checking it for 2 days changed the ABR kit and said both the issues were resolved. I took my car for a drive to my office which is about a 44 km ride from my place. The fuel efficiency was still as bad in fact went down to 7 KMPL and the squeaking sounds was back by the time I reached office. I took it back to George Auto, and this time after keeping it for about a week and replacing the axle ball joint and taking the car to Concorde Motors Mumbai for resetting the ECU, returned the car to me. However, I got the chance to take my car for a long drive only after a week. The very first day the noise from the shock absorber was back and this time it was more of a rattle than a squeak. And, had to take it back to them, when they replaced the right shock absorber which was apparently the issue.

From the first year till about some time in July, I was coordinating with Mr. Sourabh Gupta, who is the Customer Relations Manager for Tata Motors, to get me aligned with service centers. But, ever since the issue with the shock absorber noise recurred he has started avoiding my calls completely and I believe has added my phone number to the blocked list. In fact he ahs not even bothered to respond to multiple messages I left with Mr. Vinod Menon the Sales Manager Tata Motors, both of whom I had met when I took the delivery of my car 2 years back.
Let me make it clear that I am a very careful driver and very careful navigating my car on any sort of bad roads. I ensure that I not exceed 10KMPH on the patch of pothole ridden road. Also, I am a light footed driver and never rev my car engine hard, in fact my rev range never exceeds 2500 rpm.
The Owner of George Auto also mentioned that this issue with shock absorbers in a Tata Zest was isolated to just my car and he has never seen any other Zest having the issue. But, the mechanic at his workshop told me discretely that this is a perennial problem with all Tata Zests and will keep recurring if driven over bad roads.

Does any of my other fellow BHPians who own a Tata Zest face the same issue?
mc_anup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 16:19   #2718
BHPian

Touch wood I have not have any major issues till date. Car is around 3 years old and has done 26K kms.

The only problem i had was the famous sudden loss of power which was followed by the engine warning light coming on. This was around a year ago. That was solved by an ECU remap and apparently cleaning of some contacts...

No problems since.
umang dutt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 23:59   #2719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithrnath View Post
I had faced a similar issue in Feb 2016 with my Indigo eCS after accident repairs at Concorde motors.

Shoot a mail bro...It will work out....
Sir after getting that ridiculous mail from ARYA MOTORS I got in touch with HARTRON Motors and they processed the claim seamlessly. Thankfully the matter is now resolved. I'm very satisfied with the job done at HARTRON Motors and shall go over there for my future car service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_anup View Post
Hi, I have owned a Tata Zest XM Petrol for close to 2 years now and I regret the day I decided to invest in one.
M really sorry to hear that , like the gentleman has just mentioned, apart from initial power loss problem ( corrected after remapping of ECU ) the car has performed flawlessly. I have driven my Zest XMS PETROL for almost 70,000 kms in just over two years without any hiccups. The car has seen it's fair share of city traffic, monsoon battered roads and giant speed(neck) breakers but it's just soldering on and feels just like new.

As for the milage i get about 11-12 in the city and 15-16 upon highway. The worst I have seen is 9 kmpl during a massive gridlock in gurujam (Gurgaon)
fuelinmyveins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 16:15   #2720
BHPian

Today I got a call from Mr. Sourabh Gupta who has offered to personally look into the issues faced by me and also get my vehicle checked at a new vendor site if required.
Old 11th September 2017, 16:44   #2721
BHPian

Quote:
Does any of my other fellow BHPians who own a Tata Zest face the same issue?
I own a Diesel XMA which I bought in Jan 2015. It is at appx 50,000 KM now. I can't comment on the mileage since your car is a petrol version, but I have some inputs on the suspension.

I drive my car on some of the worst roads imaginable for half the time. I drive with a light foot, but never baby my car on rough roads as such. It never had an issue with the suspension. I know of at least half a dozen Zest owners and none of them had any issue with the suspension. It had been absolutely brilliant. The technician who told you that the suspension is a perennial problem in the Zest is simply lying.
Old 11th September 2017, 17:07   #2722
BHPian

I follow this thread quite regularly and I have not noticed suspension related issues being reported by Zest owner here. Most common issues are related to loss of power and stalling which were usually solved by ECU remaps.
Old 11th September 2017, 18:07   #2723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_rider View Post
I follow this thread quite regularly and I have not noticed suspension related issues being reported by Zest owner here. Most common issues are related to loss of power and stalling which were usually solved by ECU remaps.
I agree, sudden loss of power is also an issue I had faced on a few occasions, but have not faced that since the ECU was updated recently. I guess mine must've had a defective or weak suspension assembly or in all probability the service center must've made some errors due to which changing one component led to the failure of a linked component.

Anyways, will be taking it to another service center as suggested by the Customer Care Manager from Tata Motors, to get a third opinion on the tail light issue, which stops working during the monsoon.
Old 11th September 2017, 18:21   #2724
BHPian

Hi Anand,

Was curious to know whether they were able to resolve the issue of fuel efficiency. What's your current average like?

Quote:
2. Into the second year and just a little over 10k kilometers down the shock-absorbers start making all sort of squeaking sounds and also the fuel efficiency dipped to 8KMPL. I took my care to George Automobiles, who after checking it for 2 days changed the ABR kit and said both the issues were resolved. I took my car for a drive to my office which is about a 44 km ride from my place. The fuel efficiency was still as bad in fact went down to 7 KMPL and the squeaking sounds was back by the time I reached office.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th September 2017 at 06:32. Reason: Fixing quote tags
Old 11th September 2017, 19:39   #2725
BHPian

I had taken my Zest RT for the monsoon check up camp last month. During this checkup, their observation was to replace the brake disc and pad. The car used to make lot of screeching noise and to me it seemed right.
Took the car to the service center last week and they replaced the brake disc and pad and all these were covered under the gold AMC. There was also leakage from the oil sump which they fixed.
Now after the brake disc and pad replacement, when I brake under medium speed (50 - 70 kmph) I can feel the vibration from the brake pedal. Could this be due to the new pads. Will it go away after few weeks of usage?
Old 12th September 2017, 08:37   #2726
Senior - BHPian

Most car showrooms say they cannot process a cashless claim if the insurer hasn't tied up with them. I have seen this with a Maruti showroom. My friend's Swift met with an accident. When the car was towed, one of the body shop personnel said as they didn't have tie up with that particular company, we have to pay upfront for the repairs and then claim the amount from the insurer. Ofcourse, formalities have not been completed and once they are completed, we are sure the issue will be cleared at the dealership level.

As to Zest's suspension setup, it's absolutely rubbishbto say it's a perennial problem. In fact, it has one of the sturdiest setup in its class.

Changing brake disc and pads wouldn't cause any vibrations. I wonder why were discs changed. Discs have lot more life than pads.
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 11:37   #2727

I own ZEST XTA. Purchased in Feb2017. Done 7900kms so far. Recently i was checking the FE with MID. On multiple occasions, i found MID showing more FE than the actual.
Just two days ago, i did a check with 240 km highway trip on NH4. MID showed FE of 24.2 kmpl. But tankful tom tankful diesel fitted as 11 ltrs. MID FE off by by 10%. Earlier in 4-5 attempts i found 10% more fuel being accommodated in tankful method. Tried 3 different pumps in the process.

Has anyone else noticed the error of this magnitude (10%). How can it be corrected ?
I am not much bothered about mileage returned, but want MID and actual figures should match.
Old 18th September 2017, 12:32   #2728
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hysys View Post
Has anyone else noticed the error of this magnitude (10%). How can it be corrected ?
I am not much bothered about mileage returned, but want MID and actual figures should match.
The MID readings are usually optimistic on most cars. My experience with a Baleno, Jazz and i20 tells me that the MID overstates the FE by 1.5-2.5 kmpl on these cars. I believe there is no method such to correct this error and the magnitude of the error remains fairly consistent. You can verify the margin of error and its consistency. Once known, you can mentally discount the values observed in the MID by the known error.

There could also be an error in the quantity of fuel being dispensed by the fuel pumps which in turn, would contribute to difference in calculated FE and MID value.
Old 18th September 2017, 14:08   #2729
Senior - BHPian

I found the FE shown is usually 1.5 to 2 km less than the actual figures. Also, there is a difference depending on the amount of fuel one fills in.

New Zest, right out of showroom shows 13 kmpl. It slowly climbs to show near actual figures when one fills up and get going.

The DTE is fairly accurate. Actually, in my opinion, there isn't much point in setting the MID to show the realtime FE because constant FE is usually shown on the display.

Also, bars indicating fuel level usually account for about 125 km each.

Where DTE falters is when one fills up the tank to the brim. Tank capacity is 35 litres but an extra 5 -6 litres can be filled. That's when DTE calculations go awry.
Old 18th September 2017, 16:31   #2730
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
I found the FE shown is usually 1.5 to 2 km less than the actual figures. Also, there is a difference depending on the amount of fuel one fills in.

New Zest, right out of showroom shows 13 kmpl. It slowly climbs to show near actual figures when one fills up and get going.

The DTE is fairly accurate. Actually, in my opinion, there isn't much point in setting the MID to show the realtime FE because constant FE is usually shown on the display.

Also, bars indicating fuel level usually account for about 125 km each.

Where DTE falters is when one fills up the tank to the brim. Tank capacity is 35 litres but an extra 5 -6 litres can be filled. That's when DTE calculations go awry.
Is the FE on the MID calculated by looking at the fuel filled in the tank? I think that will be an unnecessarily complicated solution. MID can easily use data from the ECU to derive how much fuel was injected at that stage vs how much distance was covered. I'm quite naive when it comes to ECUs but it must be having the data of fuel amount sent to the cylinders as a simple derivable number.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks