Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2018, 02:41   #2836
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBstoTBs View Post
But ASC's both in Delhi and now here in Mumbai, have been very good - in my expirience, far better than Hyundai, and as good as Maruti and Honda, except the effectiveness of turbo, about which I have had doubts right from the beginning, but the ASC's have been insisting there's nothing wrong - the engine power drops and could not go beyond 120 on the expressway, even on redlining, and I dont feel a tug around 2000 rpm. Mileage has dropped a bit from 17 to 15 in the city, and from 22 to 20 on the highway, though (tankfull method).
I am too pretty impressed with the ASC, they are much better than I have heard about Tata. I mostly get my car serviced at Concorde Mohan Co-operative area, SA and mechanics there are competent.

Regarding your turbo problem, I have faced this problem a couple of times. Once, it was a Turbo valve/actuator failure and the other time it was just a loose hose. Get it checked, I don't think it should be a major thing. The car goes to more than 120 easily!
parth.jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 12:40   #2837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parth.jain View Post
I am too pretty impressed with the ASC.

Regarding your turbo problem, once, it was a Turbo valve/actuator failure and the other time it was just a loose hose. The car goes to more than 120 easily!

+1. I too went to Concorde Mohan Singh estate, and later to Narain Singh, Wazirpur. Both were good. The ASC in Mumbai is also good. No bill padding, and work always done properly.

Will get the valve and hoses for the turbo checked. Thanks for resestablishing my confidence - I was beginning to doubt if I understood turbodiesel cars.
MBstoTBs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2018, 13:18   #2838
BHPian

What is the latest version of Harman software in Zest? And any way we can do it ourselves?

Just came back to India. My Zest has only logged ~8000Kms in about 4 years. Not very frequently driven, only twice or thrice a month for city travels. I'm not sure what to do with it since a car is necessary for family that I'm back. Though, will still be using only on weekends.

Dont judge me guys!
Old 19th September 2018, 12:05   #2839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
  • EGR Valve may need to be cleaned.
  • Air Mass Flow Sensor / its housing may need to be cleaned.
  • See if the hoses connecting the intercooler are secure
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Get all tubes checked ASAP. There might be a leak.
Thank you both. I got my car back yesterday from Banai Auto. The problem appears solved - I can feel the power surge around 2,000 rpm again. They told me they didnt find any leaks, lose clamps or dirt in EGR valve. Said they didnt check Air Mass Flow sensor as it would have shown up in diagnostics. Mystified, but will do a highway run to see what came through.

Got PUC done on return, and they handed me a 6month certificate, saying there are no 1 yr PUC rules in Mumbai. After a lot of pushing, and showing him the rules on my phone, he promised to check with RTO and issue me a 1 yr PUC after 2-3 days, if they confirm. I have a feeling its a rip off counting on ignorance of customers
MBstoTBs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2018, 12:15   #2840

Hi all,
I own ZEST XTA Jan 2017. Done 20k on odometer.
I am facing an engine knocking problem in 2nd and 3rd gear primarily. When accelrator is pressed , a 'TRR' sound is heard from engine area. It sounts something like a pawl is slipping over the ratchet. If accelerator is released by a small amount, sound stops.
Prominently heard while passing close to road divider or in narrow streets due to echo.
I visited Tata showroom, service here. The advisor said it is injector sound. Blamed poor fuel quality. They cleaned fuel tank and filter. Handed over the car and asked me to consume remaining fuel. After empty,fill tankful at a well known fuel pump. (He suggested the same pump where i regularly fill !) Then check the performance.
The car is under warranty. If problem persists, they are planning for injector calibration.
I thought it to be clutch or ECU issue.
On rare occasions, the car runs ok for some time with minimum of such noise.

Any suggestions how to go about it ?
Old 2nd October 2018, 17:29   #2841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
Time to change the glow plug. For the Palio it costed me 750 bucks. Didn't have to change it yet on the Zest. Suppose should be similar price for the Zest

Had a slave cylinder failure on the Zest. The pedal just died in a depressed position at a signal light. Since car was under warranty, got a free tow ride to service center and cylinder replaced free of cost. So better get it checked.

Touch-wood, in my 10 years of Palio ownership, the car never broke down/ stranded me.

Cheers
I've understood the reason for the glow plug blinking problem. TASS were helpful to explain the same. There actually is no solution to the problem available immediately. This generally happens when the humidity is very high (specially during rainy season). Kolkata has had its share of rains this season. Fuel companies have started supplying BS-VI fuel in their pumps, although the car system is designed for BS-IV. BS - VI fuel is slated to have high inherent moisture. Petrol Pumps require special type of dispenser in order to release excess moisture in fuel while dispensing. Most of the pumps have not upgraded. There was an article in TOI to this effect.
As the moisture does not get released during fuel dispensing, the moisture plays a role in the fuel line of the car. When the moisture level in the atmosphere is high, the moisture is not easily released out of the system. Hence, the heater tries to dry up the excess moisture generated, thus it keeps functioning for some time even after the start of the vehicle, resulting in glow plug indicator blinking. My zest runs on diesel. Now the weather in Kolkata is sunny for the last few days, and I don't see my glow plug blinking anymore.

Long shot, but I couldn't refute the argument, specially after the plug system was found to be working fine after the check - up.

Any other possible reasons members?
amartya sinha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 18:04   #2842
Senior - BHPian

Thinking of selling off my Zest XM diesel. Bought it in October, 2014, done 80,000 km . What should I ask for the car?
Old 10th October 2018, 11:53   #2843
BHPian

Bought my Zest XMS diesel in Oct, 2014. 4 years and 68000 km later, not a single day passes by without me feeling like what a bargain buy this car was at 7.5 lakhs OTR then. The car, its mechanicals and electronics everything has really stood the test of time, atleast so far, and it continues to offer unmatched space and ride comfort in its segment. Inspite of being ridiculed a lot for opting to buy a Tata, it has actually turned out to be one of the few better decisions that I have taken in 35 years of my life.

Last edited by mobydick1983 : 10th October 2018 at 12:22.
mobydick1983 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 07:29   #2844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobydick1983 View Post
Bought my Zest XMS diesel in Oct, 2014. 4 years and 68000 km later, not a ....

Inspite of being ridiculed a lot for opting to buy a Tata, it has actually turned out to be one of the few better decisions that I have taken in 35 years of my life.
I do feel same here. I thought of selling it off and getting another car but I am spoilt by its space, ride comfort etc. No niggle till date even after 80,000 km. I don't think there is a compact sedan or a hatchback which provides as much space and comfort. Dzire comes quite close but it is a bit low slung.

I put off the decision to sell it off. I can live with it for another few years.
simplyself is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:14   #2845
BHPian

• Lot of people have discussed issues with the music system. I have also mentioned one issue previously, i got a guy from Harman to come and check the same. I was told the software version was old, and had to be updated. This was duly done. Now i need to see if the system works fine. So far so good. So people who have software version older than 2016, please get it updated. Also kindly note that Harman does take a lot of time to attend to complaints, this might differ from city to city, although my experience was just about OK.

I have a Zest Petrol XT from 2015. For the last few weeks on occasion the audio stops working. Others have listed changing the battery did the trick. In your case, was it the software update, or the battery change that solved it?
  • The other thing which i would bring to light is at times, the car jerks a little while driving, and then the Check Engine or Malfunction light comes on, this i experienced twice. One reason was water making way into the spark plugs. In spite of mentioning the service guys to take care of the same, this mistake was repeated. Although this also happened once, without any water being present there. Yesterday evening i had the same issue, i had just come back from the service center. So once again today morning, the car was taken back, as i was told the ECU needed update. Again so far so good. If anyone else is facing a similar issue, get your ECU updates done.

I've been facing the jerky driving for a few months now, inconsistently. Usually happens only at lower RPMs. Since I don't use the vehicle much, I was ignoring it. But a couple of days ago, the engine malfunction light came on. When I restarted, the engine would idle at <800rpm, and would not rev up when I pressed the pedal. Another restart and it is back to the jerky lower RPM drive as before, and felt a little more throttled as well. I took it to the ASC as is. They tried some spark plug cable change (no issues there), and some other minor things, but apparently it is still jerky. What stopped it from happening in your case? Did the ECU update do the trick by itself?
Old 2nd January 2019, 17:12   #2846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devyaaniverma View Post
Hi Everyone,

Got my car checked yesterday before i take up a long tour from tomorrow. Did a general checkup. Here are some updates:
  • Lot of people have discussed issues with the music system. I have also mentioned one issue previously, i got a guy from Harman to come and check the same. I was told the software version was old, and had to be updated. This was duly done. Now i need to see if the system works fine. So far so good. So people who have software version older than 2016, please get it updated. Also kindly note that Harman does take a lot of time to attend to complaints, this might differ from city to city, although my experience was just about OK.
  • The other thing which i would bring to light is at times, the car jerks a little while driving, and then the Check Engine or Malfunction light comes on, this i experienced twice. One reason was water making way into the spark plugs. In spite of mentioning the service guys to take care of the same, this mistake was repeated. Although this also happened once, without any water being present there. Yesterday evening i had the same issue, i had just come back from the service center. So once again today morning, the car was taken back, as i was told the ECU needed update. Again so far so good. If anyone else is facing a similar issue, get your ECU updates done.

I will provide more updates once my journey begins. And hopefully everything works fine. Fingers crossed.

Regards,
Devyaani.
Sorry for posting this twice. I've been facing the same jerking issue at lower RPMs for a few months in my Zest XT (2015, 22k km). Ignored it because the problem would go away if I 'raised', and I anyway don't use the car much. But day before yesterday, the engine malfunction light came on for the first time. It was jerking more than usual, and appeared rather strained. When I restarted once, the idling was <800rpm, and flooring the pedal did not do anything. After a few more tries, it was back to it's jerky/ strained normal. I drove it to the closest ASC. I have not heard back much from them. They changed the spark plug cables. But the jerks persisted. I'm gathering what intelligence I can get from other Zest owners. Did the ECU updates solve the problem for you? Thanks in advance.
Old 5th January 2019, 17:03   #2847
Senior - BHPian

Recently had some trouble replacing the battery for my father in law's Zest petrol. The TASS didn't have any in stock, the local battery salesman said that it is some unusual kind which is unavailable with them. Had to ask TASS to order one, and it took four or five days to arrive.

I haven't seen the battery but wanted to know if owners could throw some light on this. Never heard of such an unusual battery, and nothing on the Zest thread either.

The car was serviced in June and TASS never mentioned that the battery was weak. They were also quite unhelpful when the car died, just gave the toll free number and asked my Father in law to call them. Tata toll free customer care has a long way to go to become customer friendly because they gave the number for the local Tata commercial vehicle A.S.C, who in turn redirected my FiL to Bosch. Bosch never turned up and he waited until late in the evening, so the car had to be left there overnight & jump started the next day.

Emails to Tata are a waste of time and frankly I'm at the point where I'm scared to recommend Tata. The car is great, no problems, but the rest of the folk are a nightmare.
VeluM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 18:34   #2848

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post

I haven't seen the battery but wanted to know if owners could throw some light on this. Never heard of such an unusual battery, and nothing on the Zest thread either.
Our Zest had Tata green battery which lasted for around two years and was replaced with Amaron. On-road assistance was helpful and jump started the car on the same day.
Old 6th January 2019, 00:35   #2849

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
I recently replaced the battery on my Tata Bolt and had similar issues ... ordered one online and it turned out to be incompatible. The battery guy said the car needed a battery with reverse polarity. Apparently in 90 percent of cars, the battery terminals are towards the back but in the Bolt the battery terminals are towards the front and reversed so you need batteries with the poles reversed. I checked in Pallika Bhavan, an automotive hub in Delhi, and none of the batter shops had these batteries. One shop said they would have to place and order and would get it in a couple of days, and so they did. Got one for about 3800 after exchange where TASS was quoting around 5300.

My OEM battery was an Exide that lasted 3 years, and though I wanted to replace with Amaron, I ultimately had to settle for the same Exide. My dying battery issue manifested itself rather unusually with the check engine light coming on and staying lit for the odd drive beginning November. Took it to Concorde for diagnostics. The computer showed issues with steering and they hoisted the car up and checked, all the while saying that the check engine light and false error codes were usually generated when the battery was on its last legs. I've had no issues with check engine light after changing the battery. Concorde Motors in Okhla has also improved tremendously over the last few visits. Tata toll free customer care is absolutely the worst ... don't think those guys have an IQ of more than 10

Last edited by aah78 : 6th January 2019 at 03:58. Reason: Quote size edited.
cherisam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 13:21   #2850
Senior - BHPian

I did not realize there was a problem with placement of poles of battery with regard to the Zest. I changed the battery after 2 years 9 months and about 70,000 km. May be that was because new battery had poles in same direction as was the replaced ones.

Only change I made was I went for a 55 AH battery as against the 45 AH Tata Green OEM.

I do suggest any one with diesel Zest go for higher rated battery than the 45 AH one. Only criteria should be the fit in the bay.

Battery failed when I cranked the engine. Engine started fine but that was the battery's last breath. Steering tightened ( an EPS unit). Car performed just fine. I went to a TASS. They immediately diagnosed the probleem as battery issue. Car was started using another battery. I don't think it would have jump started without any juice in battery.

Most Viewed