Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2019, 20:08   #2941
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
I might be wrong here but doesn't zest have an older AMT unit compared to what Brezza has? Can anyone confirm?
Zest AMT was launched a lot before Brezza AMT, but i think they are the same Magneti Marelli sourced unit. Both are 5 speed units. Nexon and XUV300 have a more modern 6 speed AMT unit from the same manufacturer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
I am considering buying a new XTA, as they are offering a flat discount of 2 lakh. Problem is that they don't have a test drive vehicle for automatic. Should I test the manual version? Will the AMT throw any surprises?
Other than the prominent head node in first two gears, there is nothing much to be concerned about in the AMT. After the first two gears, it mostly behaves as a smooth automatic. On another note, there are some high mileage Zest AMTs in the forum. Nexon forum has a post about a 95k run Zest AMT. Find it below.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4611705 (Tata Nexon : Official Review)

Last edited by padmrajravi : 18th November 2019 at 20:13.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 20:43   #2942
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Zest AMT was launched a lot before Brezza AMT, but i think they are the same Magneti Marelli sourced unit. Both are 5 speed units. Nexon and XUV300 have a more modern 6 speed AMT unit from the same manufacturer.
That would be because the MT versions of these cars have 5 & 6 gears respectively. AMT unit is only automating the gear changes.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 21:10   #2943
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I might be wrong here but doesn't zest have an older AMT unit compared to what Brezza has? Can anyone confirm?
Probably yes. Zest uses an MM unit. But in AMT there isnt much new or old yet. All are from the same generation more or less.

All I was asking - if he knows how an AMT drives and its overall characteristics. Using even a Celerio AGS would give that idea of upshift habits, shift delays etc. Was not asking for a 1:1 identical experience.

Many times users are put off by an AMT when driving for the first time. Was ensuring he doesn't get that experience with his new car directly.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 02:10   #2944
BHPian

If the shifts and head nod bother me, I will use the manual mode. Left leg can still rest, which is what the primary goal is.

I need to select a color. Frankly, I didn't like the look of Zest in any colour. Don't know if it is due to the paint quality, or the design itself. White is out, don't want it to look like a cab. My shortlist is red and grey.
pseudo_coder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 09:41   #2945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
That would be because the MT versions of these cars have 5 & 6 gears respectively. AMT unit is only automating the gear changes.
I stand corrected. This might be because of their manual siblings having 5 and 6-speed gearboxes as you said. Still, the TCU logic and related automation hardware may be different for a 5 speed and 6 speed one.

Quote:
I need to select a color. Frankly, I didn't like the look of Zest in any colour. Don't know if it is due to the paint quality, or the design itself. White is out, don't want it to look like a cab. My shortlist is red and grey.

That is a big problem. If I were in your place I would spend more and pick something which looks good to me. Spending 9 lakhs on something that doesn't appeal to you may not be wise, because you will always have a regret in the back of your mind. And Tata's famed quality control might throw one or two surprises during the ownership. You will need to have a strong liking to one of the aspects of the car to fall back on when that happens.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 19th November 2019 at 09:46.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 09:42   #2946
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Nexon (sure about it) & XUV300 (a bit unsure!) use a ZF made AMT actuator. Not MagMar.
Quote:
If the shifts and head nod bother me, I will use the manual mode. Left leg can still rest, which is what the primary goal is.
Actually the Zest gets one of the better paint qualities out there. Quite good finish, minimal orange peel & scratch resistant. Blue is the shade if you like attention. Out of the 2 you mentioned - I like red but I'd pick the grey!

Why? Because nicks & dings are a given on our roads. Of the cars that I have seen visiting body-shops, the red ones (across any brand) often come back with mismatching panel colours. Grey is quite easy to match & repaint.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 09:52   #2947
BHPian

The official review reads that Zest AMT does NOT have the creep function. Owners may confirm if that's true.
Old 22nd November 2019, 16:57   #2948
BHPian

Quote:
The official review reads that Zest AMT does NOT have the creep function. Owners may confirm if that's true.
1. At a complete standstill (e.g. at traffic signal), if you remove your foot from brake, Zest doesn't start crawling like most other AT cars do (Celerio, Verna etc.). You have to provide throttle input to get it moving.

2. If you are crawling at a very slow speed, even if you remove your foot from accelerator pedal, the car keeps crawling and sometimes resists braking also. This behaviour is very confusing to newbies on Zest, but you get accustomed to it in a few weeks. This was also discussed in some of the earlier threads in this post.
low_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 17:06   #2949
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
I didn't like the look of Zest in any colour.
Rethink your purchase if you don't like the look of Zest. No doubt it's a wonderful car but why should you compromise on the looks of a car?
KPR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 21:15   #2950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Rethink your purchase if you don't like the look of Zest. No doubt it's a wonderful car but why should you compromise on the looks of a car?
Well, we have to compromise on something, no? In the same segment, the compromises are:

Dzire: safety
Amaze: cost, small front seat
Aspire: no diesel AT, petrol AT has low FE
Sunny (price wise same segment): Nissan may exit, already just 1 or 2 service centers in Pune.
pseudo_coder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 11:05   #2951
BHPian

Quote:
Well, we have to compromise on something, no? In the same segment, the compromises are:

Dzire: safety
Amaze: cost, small front seat
Aspire: no diesel AT, petrol AT has low FE
Sunny (price wise same segment): Nissan may exit, already just 1 or 2 service centers in Pune.
Tigor qualifies in the same segment?
Loads of features in the latest update. Has a better AMT with the creep function.
No complains/niggles reported.
Quite contemporary with its looks. (One of the better looking compact sedans)
Only let down is when fully loaded the engine feels underpowered.
Rest, GC, Projector headlamps, rear arm rest, rear AC vents, android auto... Has it all.
Given the good sales of Tiago, parts won't be an issue either.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 11:36   #2952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Tigor qualifies in the same segment?
Loads of features in the latest update. Has a better AMT with the creep function.
No complains/niggles reported.
Quite contemporary with its looks. (One of the better looking compact sedans)
Only let down is when fully loaded the engine feels underpowered.
Rest, GC, Projector headlamps, rear arm rest, rear AC vents, android auto... Has it all.
Given the good sales of Tiago, parts won't be an issue either.
I believe pseudo_coder is looking for Diesel Automatic only (Refer to his first post #2935). So, Tigor is ruled out!

Quote:
I am considering buying a new XTA, as they are offering a flat discount of 2 lakh. Problem is that they don't have a test drive vehicle for automatic. Should I test the manual version? Will the AMT throw any surprises?

I want a diesel automatic only, so aspire is out. Amaze is expensive.

Last edited by srvm : 23rd November 2019 at 11:38.
Old 23rd November 2019, 12:07   #2953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
I believe pseudo_coder is looking for Diesel Automatic only (Refer to his first post #2935). So, Tigor is ruled out!
Yes. Problem with petrol being low FE.
Old 23rd November 2019, 22:34   #2954
BHPian

Took test drive of a new XTA. Sadly, dropped it from my shortlist despite some positives.

+ Excellent ride quality. Took it fast over large speed breakers. No problem at all.
+ Robust build. Except for the boot lid, all doors felt heavy.
+ Best seat height among all sedans. Ingres egress would be easy for parents.

Negatives:
- Car felt smaller than Dzire.
- No reverse camera, Android auto
- no bottle holders. The door pockets can hardly hold even 500 ml bottles

Deal breakers:
- Car rolls back on the slightest slope, while you change the foot from B pedal to A pedal.
- delay in initial pickup and then sudden surge in speed
pseudo_coder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 19:33   #2955

Given the rumours that Concorde is shutting down, what are the next best alternatives for servicing Zest? Preferably around Bannerghatta Road and Koramangala (Bangalore). This is my 4th service (First Paid).

Last couple of times I had some niggles, Concorde Hosur Road was a very pleasant experience. But not sure if they would have any real motivation left now. Also visited Kropex Hosur Road once and had a very bad experience.

So any suggestions would be really helpful.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th November 2019 at 19:39. Reason: Fixed typos. Please proof-read posts before submitting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks