Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2021, 21:22   #3046
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam264_2000 View Post
When you insert the key and turn on the ignition, wait for 7 to 10 seconds until all the dials on MID do a quick check and the default screen comes on the Harmon unit. Crank the engine after this. You will never face this problem again.
Thanks Sam! That's what I always do but the problem still happens. My bet is some wire or connection got loose when I went through the pothole. Unfortunately, Tata Service Center guys are useless when it comes to Harman and always refer to the company.
devilicious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 22:55   #3047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilicious View Post
The Harman Audio unit is giving the problems again. 10% of the times when I start the car, there is no audio what-so- ever but other controls works fine like AC. Even if I turn off the car, reinsert the key, it won't resolve. If I leave the car off for an hour or so and then reinsert the key, it'll work.
Is your battery due for a change? I had this problem occasionally for some time, It started with audio system switching off and on while cranking (ideally it should not switch off while cranking). This went on for few months,and later while switching on it was mute some times. Switching off the car for 10-15 min and restarting would solve the issue. Then one fine morning, power steering was not working. Shown at TASS, and they replaced the battery.Since then all issues were solved. I have opted for a higher AH battery
RK79 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 09:12   #3048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK79 View Post
Is your battery due for a change? I had this problem occasionally for some time, It started with audio system switching off and on while cranking (ideally it should not switch off while cranking).
I too faced the same issue which went away once I got the battery replaced.
rajesh1868 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 23:31   #3049
BHPian

My Zest turns 5 years old tomorrow. ODO is at 47970km.
Bought it for Rs.7.00 lakhs on-road, Bangalore from KHT Motors in Feb-2016.
Bought her a set of new tyres for her 5th birthday (Yokohoma Bluearth GT AE51. Details here (Sai Iyengar Tyres (Indiranagar, Bangalore))).

Running cost break-up:
1. Service: Rs.33,533 (Service interval 1 year/15000kms)
2. Maintenance: Rs.77,427 (denting, bumper change, wheel alignment & balancing; Replaced Battery, Starter Motor, Tyres)
3. 3M underbody anti-rust coating: Rs.3,996
4. Insurance: Rs.68,305
5. Fuel: Rs.2,43,434

TOTAL: Rs.4,26,695

Running cost = Rs.8.9 per km.

Overall, I'm a happy customer. Hope to keep this car for some more years.

Last edited by srvm : 25th February 2021 at 23:32.
srvm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 21:51   #3050
BHPian

Quote:
The Harman Audio unit is giving the problems again. 10% of the times when I start the car, there is no audio what-so- ever but other controls works fine like AC. Even if I turn off the car, reinsert the key, it won't resolve. If I leave the car off for an hour or so and then reinsert the key, it'll work.
UPDATE: This issue was indeed because of Battery getting bad as suggested by fellow bhpians. Today when the issue happened, I was at the service center so they ran the diagnostics and confirmed that it was because of battery. Also, the issue of Engine light coming on occasionally was also because of the battery. Service guys noticed that while cranking the engine, the lights inside the car would sort of flicker and go dim for a second or so. This he said confirms the diagnostic. Now, will get the battery replaced. Which one should I go for?
devilicious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 17:12   #3051
BHPian

Guys, is there a way to know if turbo is working in the car? I no longer feel the pull around 2000 rpm as earlier, neither hear Turbo running when coming to halt after a long drive.

Can a faulty battery cause this turbo behavior too?
Old 19th March 2021, 17:22   #3052
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, is there a way to know if turbo is working in the car? I no longer feel the pull around 2000 rpm as earlier, neither hear Turbo running when coming to halt after a long drive.
I presume its a diesel that you are referring to? I suggest you drive another 90 PS MJD car, and check the experience. Sometimes over time the surge becomes routine. If you feel the turbo surge is significantly different in the other car you use for comparison - certainly there is an issue with the turbo / plumbing / EGR valve.

To check just whether the turbine is working or not - open the bonnet & ask someone to revv in neutral with your ear near the engine bay. As the RPMs climb over 1500, you should ideally hear the "swiiiinn" of the turbo.

If you are categorically convinced the car is lacking torque/power - there are issues somewhere for sure. Best get it tested at ASC, and don't take "all is OK" for an answer immediately. I have experienced a turbo failure with the 1.3 MJD in the past and it took a lot of effort to convince them that there was an issue with the turbo.
Quote:
Can a faulty battery cause this turbo behavior too?
No it cannot.
Old 19th March 2021, 17:35   #3053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I presume its a diesel that you are referring to?
Sorry forget to mention, it's a Turbo Petrol. The 1.2L Revotron. Though, I'll see if I can find another car to drive and compare to. Because apart from the pickup, I'm also noticing that in high speed, if I stop accelerating, car deaccelerates faster than before and this, I'm pretty sure of. Plus, the Engine light stays ON 10% of the times after cranking.
Old 19th March 2021, 17:38   #3054
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry forget to mention, it's a Turbo Petrol. The 1.2L Revotron. Though, I'll see if I can find another car to drive and compare to. Because apart from the pickup, I'm also noticing that in high speed, if I stop accelerating, car deaccelerates faster than before and this, I'm pretty sure of. Plus, the Engine light stays ON 10% of the times after cranking.
Hmm, that reduces the chance of you finding another comparison vehicle quite a bit. But yeah - if there is a sudden power drop also, I guess you should visit the ASC now. Seems to be a problem somewhere in the powertrain for sure. (Can be as simple as a terribly clogged air filter also.)
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 18:43   #3055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Hmm, that reduces the chance of you finding another comparison vehicle quite a bit. But yeah - if there is a sudden power drop also, I guess you should visit the ASC now. Seems to be a problem somewhere in the powertrain for sure.
Thanks Reinhard. I just need to find a good workshop. The Tata Service centers in and around North east Delhi are really bad since Concorde closed. Anyone know of a good Tata workshop in that location?

Last edited by devilicious : 19th March 2021 at 18:43. Reason: Correction
Old 20th March 2021, 10:48   #3056
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Reinhard. I just need to find a good workshop. The Tata Service centers in and around North east Delhi are really bad since Concorde closed. Anyone know of a good Tata workshop in that location?
The erstwhile Concorde mathura road workshop has been taken over by SAB motors, but most of the old employees are still working. My father goes there for servicing his Nano Xta and had no complaints dealing with them. You should try visiting that place as being old timers they should be able to diagnose your issues.
damodar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 11:55   #3057
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry forget to mention, it's a Turbo Petrol. The 1.2L Revotron. .... Plus, the Engine light stays ON 10% of the times after cranking.
Did you try a simple reset of the software? This usually helps especially after the engine light error.
Old 20th March 2021, 12:00   #3058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
The erstwhile Concorde mathura road workshop has been taken over by SAB motors, but most of the old employees are still working. My father goes there for servicing his Nano Xta and had no complaints dealing with them. You should try visiting that place as being old timers they should be able to diagnose your issues.
Thanks Damodar. I stay in north east Delhi so the place will be quite far for me. Though, for bigger issues, I can go there if service center is good but for regular maintenance, I've started using GoMechanics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umang dutt View Post
Did you try a simple reset of the software? This usually helps especially after the engine light error.
Hi Umang! Yes, the reset was done by the service center guys after the diagnostics. But it still happens, though rarely. I have started to believe the fact that most ppl say about A.S S. of Tata being not really gr8. But can't be so sure of that as this is my first car so don't really have anything for comparison.
Old 20th March 2021, 12:26   #3059
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Umang! Yes, the reset was done by the service center guys after the diagnostics...
The battery change should solve the problem, if its not a fault with the turbo or some other component.

Try resetting the software from the system MENU option and check if it improves acceleration. I faced a similar issue around 2 years ago, when my battery was giving up on me and the reset seemed to temporarily solve the problem.
umang dutt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 13:13   #3060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankverma View Post
Are the following issues in Zest pointing to a battery replacement. I have a Dec 2014 Zest petrol with 30K on the ODO:-

1) Power Steering does not turn on while starting, and steering warning light comes on in the cluster. I have to re-start the car sometimes
2) Car does not start at all sometimes, only chuck-chuck noise on rotating the key
3) Sometimes, Audio system plays on without any sound from the speakers. No sound from parking sensors also
4) Service indicator on the cluster comes ON sometimes. Though last service was done in Dec '17 and no other issues observed

Also, need suggestions on replacement battery like brand, product, amperes and other specs etc.
Finally decided on getting the battery replaced as sometimes the car doesn't start in first 2-3 tries. Infact, from the quoted issues, facing all the problems on and off. Was searching for batteries but there are things I do not understand.

1. Battery already installed (OEM) is Exide FEF2-DIN44R, can't find its dimensions anywhere on the internet so not sure how to choose the new one.

2. Some people suggested to go for higher ah battery. Does that really help?

3. Finally, some websites suggest to look at CAA value rather than ah but this is not available on most of the websites.

I called one of the battery dealers and he suggested that the problem might not even require a replacement but only some acid level of existing battery may be low (or something like that) and he'll get it checked for ₹500 and if it indeed needs replacement, will get it replaced. I think he may be trying to make some extra bucks but hey, who am I to judge as don't know about cars.

I can just get the battery replaced and be done with it but I really want to learn about these things so asking here in the forum. Any help would be appreciated.

PS: I stay in Ghaziabad these days so any reliable source would help.

Last edited by devilicious : 5th June 2021 at 13:16. Reason: Correction

Most Viewed