Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2015, 10:11   #166
BHPian

Re: Audi A3 : Official Review

One problem I am facing in my A3

The bi-xenon headlights don't turn along with the steering as seen in the video. No matter what speed I try doing that it just doesnt happen. I had a tough time navigating ghats in the dark due to this.

Perhaps this feature is available in cheaper cars like the Octavia and the Jetta. When I asked my sales advisor, he said that it is not available in Indian Audi A3. Can anyone please help me on this if this can be activated by a VCDS cable?

Old 7th April 2015, 11:08   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post
@venom_op, first of all, apologies for the delayed response - was away in London for a few days, and just got back!

Let's just say, Audi made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Hypothetically, let's say, they offered me the Technology version for the Price of the Premium Plus?
That's alright. No worries.

That's an amazing offer! Plus you don't need the rear seat, so you've got that going for you, which is nice!

Congrats! Wish you many miles of joy!
Old 24th April 2015, 22:48   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsharma2008 View Post
One problem I am facing in my A3

The bi-xenon headlights don't turn along with the steering as seen in the video. No matter what speed I try doing that it just doesnt happen. I had a tough time navigating ghats in the dark due to this.

Perhaps this feature is available in cheaper cars like the Octavia and the Jetta. When I asked my sales advisor, he said that it is not available in Indian Audi A3. Can anyone please help me on this if this can be activated by a VCDS cable?
This can not be activated on the VCDS - as it's an add-on feature, which requires an additional module to be added, along with a different set of holders (mechanical). If you go on to configure an Audi A3, say in UAE - you will have to pay additional money for this feature, it only comes with the "LED" headlamps, which are not offered in India at all. Only Xenon or Halogen headlamps are offered in India.

Last edited by moralfibre : 27th July 2015 at 10:18. Reason: Removing youtube video from quoted post.
Old 27th July 2015, 08:35   #169
Team-BHP Support

I love the pert looks of the A3, I like the hatch version a lot. After my CLA review, i also needed to drive the A3 so I arranged for a drive last saturday. Considering , I drive its older cousin the Jetta, some brief comparo's

Interiors - The CLA has it beaten for "feeling good" However, if one is claustrophobic, the A3 wins. The A3 was very easy to feel at home in and visibility was far superior. It is the better town car. The CLA needs time to adapt to the thick C pillars

Refinement - The A3 is better than the CLA diesel and much better than the Jetta

Transmission - the A3 has a slight lag after slowing down for a turn. I felt the CLA was much more responsive but A3 downshifts much easily

Steering - the A3 steering was pin-sharp, more precise than the Octavia and Merc. What is misses out was on feel. The Merc has more feel. The Jetta feels much more heavier. You felt more connected with these two

Handling - The A3 was extremely chuck-able and a great city car. The Merc is also accurate but what you lose in accuracy, you gain in feel. The Jetta felt a bit clunky at low speeds. The Skoda Octavia is left far behind with its inferior rear suspension

Ride- A3 - Firm but supple. CLA - firm - slightly sharp

Performance- The A3 owns this as a diesel. The Merc is better as a petrol IMHO

Value - Merc has a more Zazzy interior, more features in its COMAND, a larger sunroof. The Audi, well made has fewer feature. The MMI screen is a bit of a farce unless you go for the top end Technology for the rear view camera and navigation. Why? All the functions displayed on the MMI screen in the lesser variants are available in the Jetta or Octavia

Summarising

Who wins - A3 Vs CLA?

Petrol - CLA, Diesel - A3

Would you buy an A3?

Knowing its all MQB underneath, you are left wondering why would one pay a 65% premium for what is 80% the same car underneath. If it was positioned at a price point 20% more than the equivalent Skoda/ Golf as it is abroad, I would have bitten!

Last edited by ajmat : 27th July 2015 at 14:47.
ajmat is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 10:00   #170
BHPian

Short and precise! Gives a better idea as compared to the confused feeling you get after reading pages of review about cars in some magazines. Thanks for the review!
Old 1st August 2015, 23:53   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post

Knowing its all MQB underneath, you are left wondering why would one pay a 65% premium for what is 80% the same car underneath. If it was positioned at a price point 20% more than the equivalent Skoda/ Golf as it is abroad, I would have bitten!
Also isn't the CLA rear wheel drive and the A3 , Jetta and Octavia all front wheel drive cars ? If that's the case , CLA must be much better to drive right ?
Old 2nd August 2015, 00:19   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Also isn't the CLA rear wheel drive and the A3 , Jetta and Octavia all front wheel drive cars ? If that's the case , CLA must be much better to drive right ?
CLA is FWD not RWD. It is based on the FWD A-Class platform.
Old 2nd August 2015, 08:40   #173
Senior - BHPian

Thanks ajmat. Nice comparison.

How would CLA and A3 petrol versions compare with Octavia 1.8 Tsi ?

Quote:
I agree 100%.

On a lighter note: I hope VW/Skoda does not increase the prices of Jetta/Octavia to make A3 pricing more resonable!!
Old 2nd August 2015, 09:02   #174
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Absolutely excellent summing up!

I went to see the Merc GLA yesterday because I am highly enamoured by it.
I noted that the A Class, the B Class, the CLA and the GLA all come from the same underpinnings and indeed have the same engines in different states of tune.

I didn't investigate deeply but I would think a lot before plonking cash for the GLA. Everything is great about it but the lack of 4WD does not appeal to me.

I really like the vehicle, its space, its looks, its ergonomics, its feel and everything else about it, except for the lack of 4WD and the fact that even the engines are the same as the others mentioned above.

Right now I am happier with what my 4 year old Yeti offers me - it is the most accomplished little beast in that sense, and at this price point.
Old 2nd August 2015, 09:08   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Absolutely excellent summing up!

I didn't investigate deeply but I would think a lot before plonking cash for the GLA. Everything is great about it but the lack of 4WD does not appeal to me.

I really like the vehicle, its space, its looks, its ergonomics, its feel and everything else about it, except for the lack of 4WD and the fact that even the engines are the same as the others mentioned above.
In a contest between Q3, GLA and X1, Q3 emerged the winner. Quattro definitely holds upper hand in this segment.

Old 2nd August 2015, 14:35   #176
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by super.cars View Post
In a contest between Q3, GLA and X1, Q3 emerged the winner. Quattro definitely holds upper hand in this segment.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=dBsgugsWXDI
Yes. I can appreciate this.
And this is why if and when I upgrade from my Yeti, the Audi Q3 would be just perfect. Else it may be the LR Freelander. While I love the Evoque I don't think I can afford one anytime in the near future.

Saying all the above, I still think my little Yeti will give all these a good run for their money so truly, there is no need right now to upgrade at all!
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 19:59   #177
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Thanks ajmat. Nice comparison.

How would CLA and A3 petrol versions compare with Octavia 1.8 Tsi ?

I agree 100%.

On a lighter note: I hope VW/Skoda does not increase the prices of Jetta/Octavia to make A3 pricing more resonable!!
Difficult to say as I have not driven any of them. The difference might be less since the Octavia in this avatar has multilink suspension
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 14:40   #178

Insider News: Is the Audi A3 being phased out?

I am in the market for a D-Segment car and was at a Skoda showroom in Chennai recently to look at the Octavia - initially, during the early stages of me test-driving the 2.0TDI Manual and Automatic, I asked about the waiting period in Early June and I was told that it would be around 2-3 months due to congestion at the plant (apparently caused by other VW manufacturing and not by one of Skoda's own products). When I however, went in early August to test drive the 1.8TSI, when I asked about the waiting period then, I was told around 20-25 days for the Octavia. Surprised, I asked him whether the plants are suddenly churning out more Octavias due to an increased capacity to which he replied that since Audi has STOPPED manufacturing new A3s, it has freed up space on the manufacturing line for Octavias. There are 300 stock Audi A3s which Audi is currently trying to sell-off apparently for a whopping discount of 4-6 lacs (depending on your bargaining capacity is what he told me) (this was corroborated by recent Audi ads in the Hindu charging around 22lacs for the base version ex-s).

What is your view on the downfall of the A3? Is it that India is brand conscious but not to the extent of discounting features and still charging premium (The Audi A3 Attraction base version had an abysmal amount of features compared to the MUCH cheaper Skoda Octavia top-end Elegance!)? Please share your views!
car_cr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 16:25   #179
Senior - BHPian

Re: Insider News: Is the Audi A3 being phased out?

I don't think the A3 will be phased out so soon. There may be a temporary production stop on that model to clear up stock's which is what almost every manufacturer does. The rare sightings of the A3 confirm that it's a slow selling model and Audi probably knows that selling off 300 units is a tough task hence the temporary halt on production. I wouldn't go so far as to speculate that the model will be phased out.
amit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 18:22   #180
Team-BHP Support

Re: Insider News: Is the Audi A3 being phased out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_cr View Post
What is your view on the downfall of the A3? Is it that India is brand conscious but not to the extent of discounting features and still charging premium (The Audi A3 Attraction base version had an abysmal amount of features compared to the MUCH cheaper Skoda Octavia top-end Elegance!)? Please share your views!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
I don't think the A3 will be phased out so soon. There may be a temporary production stop on that model to clear up stock's which is what almost every manufacturer does. The rare sightings of the A3 confirm that it's a slow selling model and Audi probably knows that selling off 300 units is a tough task hence the temporary halt on production. I wouldn't go so far as to speculate that the model will be phased out.
It is a very nice car but looks anonymous unless in red and also offers nt much more for 60% of the Octavia. We indians cannot be underestimated !
ajmat is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks