Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2014, 21:20   #106

Re: Audi A3 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I think it was vb-San that showed the site configurator displaying the top 3 models coming with a sunroof, no getting around that for this year at least. The sales rep confirmed it for me.

This is really going to stretch me to the hilt! Will have to pay another 1.5L for the sunroof and the price would cross 30L.

This car decision is turning out to me tougher than my marriage
Old 1st September 2014, 12:35   #107
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for an excellent review!!

This really looks like a great package compared to it's competition, that is the 1 series and the A class. Excellent value for people looking for a self driven hot hutch. BMW & Merc will have a tough time convincing their customers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Audi expects the diesel motor to bring in a chunk of sales. Therefore, the media drives included the A3 diesel only. The new 2.0L turbo diesel + DSG combination was first seen on the Skoda Octavia. Power ratings are 143 BHP (@ 3500 - 4000 rpm) and 320 Nm torque (@ 1750 - 3000 rpm). This EA288 series diesel engine is an all-rounder. It offers excellent driveability, consistently good fuel-economy and fast highway performance.
Audi should have given this engine with it's higher tune, as in Passat / Superb. That could have made up for the price difference.

I honestly feel that the Tsi will have more takers (more VFM), especially in the TOP variant.

Quote:
Paddle shifters, smartkey entry & go and memory seats are conspicuous by their absence
Paddle shifters should have been included at least on the TOP end variant.

Memory seats coupled with the individual keys, could have been a boon.

Quote:
Space saver wheel frees up boot space:
Looks like a spare alloy wheel positioned normally.. Space saver?

New Jetta TDI HL MT still remains VFM for me!!
Old 1st September 2014, 14:39   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Audi should have given this engine with it's higher tune, as in Passat / Superb. That could have made up for the price difference.

I honestly feel that the Tsi will have more takers (more VFM), especially in the TOP variant.
The petrol is only available in one fully-loaded variant, if I'm not mistaken, and it is more expensive than the top-end diesel . Though the gap between petrol and diesel *is* closing in, I think the day is still quite far when a petrol A3 will be considered VFM.

Quote:
Paddle shifters should have been included at least on the TOP end variant.

Memory seats coupled with the individual keys, could have been a boon.
I agree- these are the small but significant things when it comes to a luxury car. And 33L (the on-road price of an A3 Premium in Pune) is not small change, so Audi could have well squeezed some of these in! As things stand, this is a very small sedan with a luxe badge and some nice features. But is it enough?
Old 1st September 2014, 18:04   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

Audi A3 : Official Review-a3-pricing.jpg

Courtesy carwale.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The petrol is only available in one fully-loaded variant, if I'm not mistaken, and it is more expensive than the top-end diesel . Though the gap between petrol and diesel *is* closing in, I think the day is still quite far when a petrol A3 will be considered VFM.
My opinion was based on your earlier post. With the difference as much as 5L and also since it is a Turbo, Petrol suddenly looks attractive!!

IMO, People who buy cars in this segment (A3, 1 series, A class, V40) do not worry about space. Luxury + Features + Power + Refinement + Ride / Handling + Snob value is all they look for, mostly.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2014, 01:45   #110
BHPian

Can some one please confirm this for the A3. Is it possible to replace the default 4 spoke steering wheel with the 3 spoke steering along with paddle shifters from Audi? If yes then how much would it cost?
Old 6th September 2014, 09:23   #111
Senior - BHPian

Must be possible through Pete's. Try speaking to them.

Chetan
Old 6th September 2014, 13:54   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod_to_odd View Post
Can some one please confirm this for the A3. Is it possible to replace the default 4 spoke steering wheel with the 3 spoke steering along with paddle shifters from Audi? If yes then how much would it cost?

This should be very much possible. It's a relatively simple retrofit just like other VAG cars. For cost and compatibility details, places like vagtune should be able to help you.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 19:02   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

The Audi dealer called me based on my e-mail inquiry about the A3. I was interested in the base attraction variant. He tells me "sir, you cannot have that variant for the next 6 months at least, and even then, you have to pay the full price today and wait for 6 months. In fact we are not even taking bookings for that variant. If you really want A3, why don't you go for the premium variant with sunroof?"

Yet, on the other hand, Audi blatantly goes on sending me e-mails about how the A3 is available from Rs. 22.95 lacs and offer me Rs. 1200 per lac EMI scheme to buy the A3 at that price.

I think their sales strategy is rather cheap, and not suited to the segment in consideration. They are speaking to customers prepared to fork out over Rs. 28 Lacs and treating them the way Ford treated Ecosport buyers last year - "we are not taking bookings for any of the Petrol variants, sir, and even of we did, it you would not get it for at least a year'.

Obviously, this episode left a bad taste in my mouth and I am not sure I will go to Audi again. They should have not offered the base variant at 22.95 lacs, if their intent was never to sell any of these at all.

I feel there out to be some legal protection for customers against manufacturers who misleadingly advertise the base variant, draw in the customers and then refuse to sell or deliver it for months and years. It is really an unethical practice in my view, and I am sure it would never be allowed in their home country - Germany, or anywhere else in the Europe or US for that matter.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 11th September 2014 at 19:08.
84.monsoon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 14:20   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The Audi dealer called me based on my e-mail inquiry about the A3. I was interested in the base attraction variant. He tells me "sir, you cannot have that variant for the next 6 months at least, and even then, you have to pay the full price today and wait for 6 months. In fact we are not even taking bookings for that variant. If you really want A3, why don't you go for the premium variant with sunroof?"

Yet, on the other hand, Audi blatantly goes on sending me e-mails about how the A3 is available from Rs. 22.95 lacs and offer me Rs. 1200 per lac EMI scheme to buy the A3 at that price.

I think their sales strategy is rather cheap, and not suited to the segment in consideration. They are speaking to customers prepared to fork out over Rs. 28 Lacs and treating them the way Ford treated Ecosport buyers last year - "we are not taking bookings for any of the Petrol variants, sir, and even of we did, it you would not get it for at least a year'.

Obviously, this episode left a bad taste in my mouth and I am not sure I will go to Audi again. They should have not offered the base variant at 22.95 lacs, if their intent was never to sell any of these at all.

I feel there out to be some legal protection for customers against manufacturers who misleadingly advertise the base variant, draw in the customers and then refuse to sell or deliver it for months and years. It is really an unethical practice in my view, and I am sure it would never be allowed in their home country - Germany, or anywhere else in the Europe or US for that matter.
To me it looks more like the dealer is playing a game than Audi. Mostly likely he is used to high margins with other Audi models and this A3 does not address that. So he is getting you to upgrade. The waiting period might also be wrong. try contacting Audi directly about this.
Old 20th September 2014, 10:54   #115
BHPian

I just test drove the A3. It was the top end technology version. My initial thoughts were that the car was a lot more impressive that i had expected.

Interior fit and finish was excellent - easily comparable to E class and A6, and in my opinion better than the 3 & 5 series. The car felt very well put together.

The 143 bhp engine was responsive and accelerated well. Noise levels were very low - my passengers asked if it was a diesel or petrol!

Space in the rear was a bit tight but did not seem very different from my C Class. Legroom was good, headroom a bit of a problem for tall passengers.

The real downside was the on road pricing. The dealers sheet showed the on-road price of the premium version at Rs 34.7 lakhs and premium plus at 39.6 lakhs. At that price i would wonder how many will want to put in a bit more and take home a A4 or C class instead.
AmGu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2014, 09:43   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmGu View Post
I just test drove the A3. It was the top end technology version. My initial thoughts were that the car was a lot more impressive that i had expected.

Interior fit and finish was excellent - easily comparable to E class and A6, and in my opinion better than the 3 & 5 series. The car felt very well put together.

The 143 bhp engine was responsive and accelerated well. Noise levels were very low - my passengers asked if it was a diesel or petrol!

Space in the rear was a bit tight but did not seem very different from my C Class. Legroom was good, headroom a bit of a problem for tall passengers.

The real downside was the on road pricing. The dealers sheet showed the on-road price of the premium version at Rs 34.7 lakhs and premium plus at 39.6 lakhs. At that price i would wonder how many will want to put in a bit more and take home a A4 or C class instead.
A3 is not a proven model whereas 3 series and C class have a track record of performance and pedigree that has been built over decades. A3 may a fun car to drive around but does it deliver the same badge value as C class or 3 series ?

If Audi is dissuading the entry level customers by not offering the base model of A3, the real offering and positioning of A3 is diluted in effect. Are Indian customers in this segment going to really choose a top end version of A3 over C class or 3 series just based on its "perky" drive ?

Last edited by Turbo car : 21st September 2014 at 09:53.
Old 7th November 2014, 12:24   #117
Senior - BHPian

Audi is considering to bring its A3 premium hatchback to India. This will be Audi's direct competitor to the Mercedes-Benz A-Class, BMW 1-Series and Volvo V40 Cross Country.

After over-achieving the company's target volumes of the the A3 sedan by selling more than 1,000 units within the first three months of its launch in India, the company is quick to realize the potential of the entry-level premium luxury car segment. Also, all its direct competitors have already entered the premium luxury hatchback segment which the company had ignored earlier.

The A3 hatchback is based on the latest MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform, similar to the new Octavia and A3 sedan. It might share the same engines as its sedan sibling too. If the A3 sedan's pricing is anything to go by, the hatchback too might be introduced with an aggressive starting price to grab a fair share of premium luxury hatchback buyers.

In an interview with Financial Express, Joe King, Head of Audi India says that 10 new models including refreshes will hit Indian showrooms next year. The company also plans to invest in India in order to aid localization, especially of its engines as well as increase production from 14,000 units to 20,000 units.

Audi A3 : Official Review-2436x1552_a3.jpg
S2!!! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 09:41   #118
BHPian

If Audi is serious in increasing sales with an A3 hatch ,they better start some heavy localization and thus some very aggressive pricing.

Merc,BMW doesn't have a small sedan (until the CLA,1/2 series sedan launches atleast).So for now,they remain as entry level models of these respective brands.
Audi already has the A3 sedan which would be the de facto choice for someone hunting in this segment.If there's a price overlap between A3 hatch and sedan,I for one would be heavily inclined to the sedan.
Old 24th November 2014, 12:10   #119
Team-BHP Support

Audi is gearing up to launch the A3 cabriolet in India next month.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Old 1st December 2014, 19:11   #120
BHPian

Does anybody have any reliable info on the upcoming CLA.
As my brother has shortlisted the A3 petrol.
On road is approx 37lakhs

Shaman Motors has informed me CLA will 100% be launched in feb 2015 and approx on road would be 45 - 46 lakhs and would also have a 2litre petrol.

So makes me think what more would mercedes offer to justify the premium over A3?

Or should he not think about the CLA and go ahead with the A3?

I tried convincing him to consider the volvo s60 but for some strange reason Volvo does not seem to be in the mood for bargaining at all. very strange.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks