Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2016, 01:41   #1936
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Dear All, today I got the delivery of elite i20 CRDi in Phatom Black color. I had never seen any black i20 earlier and was a bit skeptical about booking the same. However, I must say black really looks stunning on i20 with projector headlamps and DLRs. My heartiest thanks to all forum members for all the valuable knowledge that enabled me to make an informed decision .

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-12_dsc0059.jpg
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-12_dsc0054.jpg

I checked earlier posts but could not find anything related to height adjustable seat belts, if Hyundai has added them or not. In my car they are present, so I guess it is the latest introduction with other new features.

Height adjustable seat belts
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-1_dsc0063.jpg

Will write an initial ownership review soon.
motoholic31 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th October 2016, 06:22   #1937
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoholic31 View Post
Dear All, today I got the delivery of elite i20 CRDi in Phatom Black color.
Congratulations on your new i20 in Phantom Black! Is this a new colour recently added to the palette? It sure does look very classy and premium in this shade!

Quote:
Height adjustable seat belts
That is news indeed to most of us! Yours must be the recently updated Asta(O) variant. So Hyundai have included height adjustable seat belts along with the excellent side & curtain airbags and speed-sensing auto door locks. This is very welcome!

Last edited by RSR : 29th October 2016 at 06:24.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2016, 20:20   #1938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Congratulations on your new i20 in Phantom Black! Is this a new colour recently added to the palette? It sure does look very classy and premium in this shade!
Thanks RSR, yes Phantom Black was added four months back but still I don’t see many on the roads. Hyundai have now made i20 Asta (O) a fully loaded car after adding all the missing features, may be the Baleno effect .

I have a query for all the fellow members, I have so far driven only petrol cars and for all them I used to drive below 2000 rpm and used to change gears at around 1800 rpm till the first 1000 Kms. Now, as with most of the diesels, the turbo kicks in at around 2000 rpm, this is where my so far created logic fails. How to go about the run-in period of diesel i20?

Also, I have been slotting fifth gear instead of reverse hundred percent of the times .
motoholic31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2016, 09:22   #1939

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvwali View Post
Hey, can you share a picture of the 10W bulb in the boot?

Doesnt it get too bright?

Also can the wires handle that kucht load?

What is the link to the product you bought?

I don't have any picture of it since it's being bought in China and it was hand carried by my friend. It was 2w only. It's brightness is more than enough for boot.
With respect to wires, we don't have to worry since we are going to use only 1/10th of original watts of bulb. 1w vs 10w.
One of the dealer told that there is a brand known as quantra which is available in India. They give 1 year warranty as well.
Old 30th October 2016, 11:28   #1940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balachandran View Post
I don't have any picture of it since it's being bought in China and it was hand carried by my friend. It was 2w only. It's brightness is more than enough for boot.
With respect to wires, we don't have to worry since we are going to use only 1/10th of original watts of bulb. 1w vs 10w.
One of the dealer told that there is a brand known as quantra which is available in India. They give 1 year warranty as well.
How can you modulate what wattage of the product to use?

i.e. how can we choose to use only 1W instead of 10W?
Old 30th October 2016, 12:38   #1941
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...I have a query for all the fellow members, I have so far driven only petrol cars and for all them I used to drive below 2000 rpm and used to change gears at around 1800 rpm till the first 1000 Kms. Now, as with most of the diesels, the turbo kicks in at around 2000 rpm, this is where my so far created logic fails. How to go about the run-in period of diesel i20?...
1800 rpm is fine for a diesel too, during the run in. If you can manage a 2000 rpm, even better. I20 having a VGT, I have a hunch that the turbo spooling should be earlier than 2000 rpm.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2016, 12:50   #1942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
1800 rpm is fine for a diesel too, during the run in. If you can manage a 2000 rpm, even better. I20 having a VGT, I have a hunch that the turbo spooling should be earlier than 2000 rpm.
The 1.4 CRDi uses an FGT as far as I recollect.
DRIV3R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2016, 18:56   #1943
BHPian

Quote:
I have a query for all the fellow members, I have so far driven only petrol cars and for all them I used to drive below 2000 rpm and used to change gears at around 1800 rpm till the first 1000 Kms. Now, as with most of the diesels, the turbo kicks in at around 2000 rpm, this is where my so far created logic fails. How to go about the run-in period of diesel i20?
Drive it like you would normally, without hard acceleration. The manual asks you to stay below 4k. Since turbo spools at 2k, you will exceed that for sure!

I tried to keep the RPM below 2500, but that was being cautious. Shifting at 1800 will result in short shifting according to me. You'll feel it in the drive too!
udainxs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2016, 19:02   #1944

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvwali View Post
How can you modulate what wattage of the product to use?

i.e. how can we choose to use only 1W instead of 10W?

The factory fitted is normal bulb and we are changing with LED bulbs. As we change our house regular filament bulbs say 60w to LED 8w. Both will produce same amount is bright, but led product same brightness with less power i.e, wattage.
Old 31st October 2016, 11:05   #1945
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....Now, as with most of the diesels, the turbo kicks in at around 2000 rpm, this is where my so far created logic fails...
Quote:
Originally Posted by udainxs View Post
...Since turbo spools at 2k, you will exceed that for sure!...Shifting at 1800 will result in short shifting according to me. You'll feel it in the drive too!
Guys, please see the torque curve for the 1.4L diesel engine. The max torque is created at 1500 rpm itself; you can see the kind of torque available at 1200 rpm (the primary reason I thought this was a VGT). This engine wouldn't make a fuss even if you shift at lower rpms (except the 6th gear).

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-i20.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
The 1.4 CRDi uses an FGT as far as I recollect.
Thanks, you are correct. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyunda...4_L_.28D4FC.29
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 19:38   #1946
BHPian

Quote:
Dear All, today I got the delivery of elite i20 CRDi in Phatom Black color. I had never seen any black i20 earlier and was a bit skeptical about booking the same. However, I must say black really looks stunning on i20 with projector headlamps and DLRs. My heartiest thanks to all forum members for all the valuable knowledge that enabled me to make an informed decision

Will write an initial ownership review soon.
Congrats on your new car. The black color looks absolutely stunning. With all the new changes - would be looking forward to your ownership review.

In other news, thanks to fellow bhpians I got the paper cabin ac filter fitted in my car. The cost as indicated was around Rs 600. I shall suggest the fitting can be done as DIY which is pretty simple. This DIY has been covered earlier in a thread and I remember it was also pulled out and made as a separate thread as well.
The charges for fitting is exorbitant at Rs 250+ for the labour charge for fitting this filter. Hyundai it seems is no more a low cost maintenance vehicle with the labour skyrocketing prices for such simple jobs.

One more question with reference to the picture shown below. I was wondering what purpose does the red markings on the speedometer serve at 30 and 50 kmph markings ?
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img_4376.jpg
Rahul_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 20:36   #1947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Dear All, today I got the delivery of elite i20 CRDi in Phatom Black color. I had never seen any black i20 earlier and was a bit skeptical about booking the same. However, I must say black really looks stunning on i20 with projector headlamps and DLRs.
Congrats motoholic31 on your latest acquisition and it really looks like a Phantom buddy !!

I only saw your post today and coincidentally saw a Black Elite I20 on road this morning. No two ways about the fact that those blacked out DRL-Projector combo looks exquisite on this shade

Looking forward for your ownership report.

Wish you a happy motoring and drive safe.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 01:28   #1948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Guys, please see the torque curve for the 1.4L diesel engine. The max torque is created at 1500 rpm itself; you can see the kind of torque available at 1200 rpm (the primary reason I thought this was a VGT). This engine wouldn't make a fuss even if you shift at lower rpms (except the 6th gear).
Quote:
Originally Posted by udainxs View Post
Drive it like you would normally, without hard acceleration. The manual asks you to stay below 4k. Since turbo spools at 2k, you will exceed that for sure!
Thanks swiftnfurious and udainxs for your advice. So, I will just keep the rpm below 2500 for the first 1000 Kms and you are right I don't feel any turbo lag even at lower rpms .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Congrats motoholic31 on your latest acquisition and it really looks like a Phantom buddy !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul_ View Post
Congrats on your new car. The black color looks absolutely stunning. With all the new changes - would be looking forward to your ownership review.
Thanks Vik0728 and Rahul_ for your wishes, I will come back with an initial ownership review soon for sure .

I have one more question which is regarding the seat covers. In most of the Team-BHP reviews it is advised to steer clear of seat covers for seats with airbags. However, I really want to put leather or leatherette seat covers as fabric seats soil easily. There are some airbag compatible seat covers available online. Is it advisable to put those seat covers?
Old 3rd November 2016, 11:45   #1949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul_ View Post
One more question with reference to the picture shown below. I was wondering what purpose does the red markings on the speedometer serve at 30 and 50 kmph markings ?
Attachment 1572933
Hey!
As far as my understanding goes, those 2 red marks indicate the speed limits/range at the which the car should be driven for optimum fuel efficiency.

Rahul
Old 3rd November 2016, 14:49   #1950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verma_rahul View Post
Hey!
As far as my understanding goes, those 2 red marks indicate the speed limits/range at the which the car should be driven for optimum fuel efficiency.

Rahul
Dear Rahul,

I do not have any Hyundai car. So, maybe I am not qualified to comment. However, I do not think there is any real car in India which will go into top gear at 30 kmph. So, it cannot be optimum speed!

Maybe someone can go through the manual and comment.
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed