Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2016, 05:31   #2026
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkirana View Post
Which diesel engine is better? i20 1.4 CRDI or Fiat Multijet that makes rounds as DDiS 200 in the Swift and Baleno?
1.4 crdi is much more refined and has more grunt too.
reignofchaos is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2016, 06:39   #2027
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkirana View Post
Which diesel engine is better? i20 1.4 CRDI or Fiat Multijet that makes rounds as DDiS 200 in the Swift and Baleno?
Engine wise the 1.4L CRDI is better than the DDiS but I find the DDiS to be peppy and free-revving even though it makes lesser power and torque.

I have driven both these engines extensively in all kinds of traffic.

IMO it is the gearing that attributes to driveability
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2016, 11:54   #2028
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Now, the elite i20 is totally out of my budget but I can't resist in giving it a try. However, the ride quality and boring petrol engine is something blocking my path. I intend to keep the car for 7 to 8 years hence don't want to regret on my decision.

Request all the owners to help me with their advice.
Ok, I'll get a bit technical here but that might not be a problem for you since it'll give the exact data you want. I own a Hyundai Getz which is as contrasting as it can get from its successor as it has hydraulic power steering, 1.4 litre SOHC engine (superb breathability and torque) and fantastic suspension and build. I have also experienced other "vaunted" models known for good driving feel like E90 3 Series, Mini Cooper, F30 3 Series Diesel, Fiat Punto, Polo TSi etc.. and I can confidently tell that none of them share any similarity with each other, all just different though I've put them in descending order of "feel".

Nothing can beat the feel of a hydraulic steering in a budget car.. its how it is. The EPS simply destroys the fun and I've hated that setup the most in a Vento/Polo, they're numb and I know many people will disagree but this is based on my own experience since I look at the feel at speeds <60, i.e mainly city commute, I don't do highways at all. The previous-gen i20 was the king when it came to light steering with an almost wooden feeling, even the engine rev vibrations hardly made it to the steering and one would wonder if the car is on or off, happy to say the current i20 has those problems sorted by a bit, though I feel it's strictly a city car with a capacity for occasional highway runs (one person I know makes inter-city runs of 300km+ with a 1.1 Santro on 165 section tyres so why not i20 as well?).

The problem with i20 is two-prong, the steering is setup for easy cruising and something is off with its turning consistency, also complimenting that perfectly is that 1.2 engine with fancy terminology like Kappa and VTVT thrown into it, its perfect for a Grand i10 but nearly not so for the i20, the torque delivery comes in a burst for a second and flatlines, then one has to push the throttle even more to get another similar response.. many may not have observed this but like I said it depends on each drivers past experience, compare that with my Getz which feeds in torque with every mm of pedal depression and readily so, it just works seamlessly with the gear changes and chassis..like they're all functioning symbiotically. The i20 doesn't give that feeling and I'm talking only modest and safe speeds which is what I prefer. I'm sure as other owners have pointed out including Honda owners, that the VTVT 1.2 is much more smoother in the low-end torque than a iVtec (I have no experience with the 1.2 iVtec), its all just a matter of compromising and getting adjusted to.. starting with where you want to make the compromise.

I'm not sure on the Baleno but owner reviews are kind of all over the place, its surely not getting praise for driving feel, much less so than the Swift and yet some call the suspension hard and jerky. I consider a suspension to be at its sweet spot when its 60-70% soft and 30-40% stable, like how the Punto is, the TSi has a much more harder setup and the suspension made bangs and thuds over any noticeable undulations. The Punto just swallows them softly in comparison. Fiats on sale today however have a slight problem of driver seating position and rubbery gearbox, if those 2 are perfected then the decision is easy.

None of the downsides written above for any car model are decision breaking, each will perceive a car differently and that's what I learnt when I went with reviews in mind yet my opinion on the car was total opposite. Hence you can test-drive any car that you feel is appropriate and take a decision based on suitability. As always you will NEVER get the space+power+feel+cost+support combo in any car, ever.

P.s : The 16 inch wheels for the i20 was ridiculous coupled with the 55 sidewall, the ride was not comfortable for me in the colleague's car over bad roads. The sweet-spot for such a car is 185/15 with 70 sidewall and preferably a good tyre like Yoko or Michelin.

Last edited by dark.knight : 31st December 2016 at 12:05.
dark.knight is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 15:44   #2029
Senior - BHPian

Gentlemen, any suggestions on the below image from the owners manual?

Usual advice we hear is to drive below 2000 rpm during run in, but the owners manual states things to the contrary.
Also, aren't the first two points in contradiction to each other?

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-3.jpg
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 17:05   #2030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post

Usual advice we hear is to drive below 2000 rpm during run in, but the owners manual states things to the contrary.

Attachment 1592249
Shift around 2000 - 2500 rpm and you should be fine. Shifting below 2000 will not let the turbo spool and you'll also find you are lugging the engine.

Drive normally is what was the general consensus when I asked this question a while back
Old 5th January 2017, 17:59   #2031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udainxs View Post
Shift around 2000 - 2500 rpm and you should be fine. Shifting below 2000 will not let the turbo spool and you'll also find you are lugging the engine.

Drive normally is what was the general consensus when I asked this question a while back
Turbo how I wish my car had that. Mine is 1.2vtvt petrol.
vinit.merchant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 21:27   #2032
BHPian

Quote:
Turbo how I wish my car had that. Mine is 1.2vtvt petrol.
Sorry! Didn't expect the running in instructions to be the same for both engines
Old 6th January 2017, 11:30   #2033
BHPian

I have booked 1.4 crdi Sportz at Blue Hyundai. Also got nice discounts also while booking this car. Cant wait to hit the roads with this nice engine 😀
Old 6th January 2017, 12:25   #2034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetbadri View Post
I have booked 1.4 crdi Sportz at Blue Hyundai. Also got nice discounts also while booking this car. Cant wait to hit the roads with this nice engine 😀
Congrats on the booking! Please can you share details?
babhishek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 20:23   #2035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babhishek View Post
Congrats on the booking! Please can you share details?
I have opted for 2016 manufactured vehicle. Got 10,000 worth accessories, 1st year Insurance at free of cost and 15,000 Cash discount.
meetbadri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2017, 12:25   #2036
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1592249
The advice is spot on!! considering yours is a petrol and redlines at 6k rpm varying between 2k to 4k rpm is ideal. What the owners manual states by do not race the engine is not to rev during standstill or rev too aggressively(pedal to metal style) in the initial days. Accelerating gradually and varying the rpm periodically is acceptable and considering good practice. All one has to do is not baby the engine in the initial days and drive in a smooth pace.
blackbandit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 12:35   #2037
Senior - BHPian

Took delivery for my Polar white Elite i20 VTVT on thursday last week.
Have done a little above 100kms so far.

I have following two queries

1. At times, when I start the car, the rpm stays quite high, between 1500-1800, without any accelerator input. Things turn normal once I engage the gears and start moving. Usual idle rpm stays at 900 I guess, with AC on.

2. After parking the car, when I step out, I smell some burning smell. I am unable to pinpoint the source of this. I checked the front and rear tires and it is definitely not from the brakes. Anyone else experienced this on a brand new elite?
Old 11th January 2017, 12:44   #2038
BHPian

Quote:
Took delivery for my Polar white Elite i20 VTVT on thursday last week.
Have done a little above 100kms so far.

I have following two queries

1. At times, when I start the car, the rpm stays quite high, between 1500-1800, without any accelerator input. Things turn normal once I engage the gears and start moving. Usual idle rpm stays at 900 I guess, with AC on.

2. After parking the car, when I step out, I smell some burning smell. I am unable to pinpoint the source of this. I checked the front and rear tires and it is definitely not from the brakes. Anyone else experienced this on a brand new elite?
Congratulations on your new Car!!

As for point no 1. Cars do tend to stay at higher rpm on a cold start and return back to normal. This is completely normal.

Happy Motoring!!
blackbandit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 15:49   #2039
BHPian

Booked an I20 Asta (petrol) with 6 airbags (2016 model). Expecting Delivery this Sunday. Details in the "I booked my Car" Thread.
vvnagan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2017, 23:58   #2040

I am planning to buy i20 Asta (CRDi) with 6 airbags (2016 model). Will be exchanging my 2012 Eon Sportz (Petrol) as part of the deal. The car has run 71k with tyres/battery changed recently. Is it worth getting Nov-Dec 2016 i20 model or should I opt for 2017.The Team-BHP price calculator helps with a great price but I am not sure the dealer would offer that. Can i negotiate for something else?

Advice needed...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks