Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2017, 23:33   #2191
BHPian

Diesel Asta FE

Guys,

I am not happy with the FE of new Asta, see the figures below.

I am generally a sedate driver and do not race/ accelerate quickly etc.
All figures are tankful to tankful with AC almost 100% on .
Tyre pressure is generally maintained correctly.
Petrol Pumps are also known to be good ( Pune guys might know those per names in table below)
I owned a Swift VDI before this and in city FE was around 17 and highway 20+ most of the times. I am not expecting similar numbers but still I feel this is low.

The questions I have are
1) Is this less than expectation?
2) Any obvious issue that could be there?
3) In the first month I used to respond to gear change suggestions but as it turned out to be less efficient I started (not always) ignoring that, especially 3 to 2 where by pressing further the indication goes off. but as i see it actually worsened the problem. what is the best practice?

Please tell me what you think..

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-screenshot-5_12_2017-11_19_08-pm.png
Old 13th May 2017, 09:29   #2192
Senior - BHPian

Re: Diesel Asta FE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjubaba View Post
Guys,

I am generally a sedate driver and do not race/ accelerate quickly etc.
All figures are tankful to tankful with AC almost 100% on .
Tyre pressure is generally maintained correctly.
Petrol Pumps are also known to be good ( Pune guys might know those per names in table below)
I owned a Swift VDI before this and in city FE was around 17 and highway 20+ most of the times. I am not expecting similar numbers but still I feel this is low.
If you analyze the FE figures, then you are getting an average FE of 14 kmpl for in city driving and 18 kmpl for highway trips, which is definitely lesser compared to your Swift, but by no means very bad or poor. Also I believe you car is just in the run-in period. After your odo clocks 10K kms, you can expect a marginal improvement in FE.

Now if you compare the tech specs of both the cars, they are evenly matched on kerb weights. Kerb weight of i20 asta is 1066 kg, whereas Swift VDi is 1060 kg. However engine capacity of i20 asta crdi is 1396 cc, whereas that of Swift is 1248 cc. Smaller the engine, higher the FE. So obviously the i20 has a disadvantage over here due to higher capacity engine.

Quote:
The questions I have are
1) Is this less than expectation?
2) Any obvious issue that could be there?
3) In the first month I used to respond to gear change suggestions but as it turned out to be less efficient I started (not always) ignoring that, especially 3 to 2 where by pressing further the indication goes off. but as i see it actually worsened the problem. what is the best practice?

Please tell me what you think.
I think there is very little that you can do to increase your highway FE. However if you tweak your driving style within city it can substantially improve your city FE. I am quoting myself from the thread --> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4057311

Hope it proves useful for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Irrespective of which city you drive your car in, you will encounter the following driving conditions in the city:
  • Choc-a-bloc traffic
  • Frequent gear changes and braking
  • Lot of bumps, signals, pot-holes etc
  • Very little opportunity to drive in top gear
  • Increased idling (hence wastage of fuel) at traffic lights and traffic jams.
Every time after you brake you have to press the accelerator to get the car going ahead. Every time you change the gear you have to race the engine to gain momentum. All the above takes a heavy toll on fuel consumption.

Now compare this with highway driving. Most (if not all) highways you would usually encounter the the following driving conditions:
  • Wide open roads
  • Once in top gear, you can keep cruising at a steady speed for prolonged duration
  • Infrequent braking or gear changes due to less obstacles
The higher the distance you travel in top gear, lesser is the fuel consumption.

With some sedate, predictive and defensive driving you can increase your fuel efficiency even while driving in city.
  • Don't get into a drag race as the traffic lights turn green
  • If car is at standstill for more than one minute (signal or jam), switch off the engine
  • Anticipate the traffic ahead. If you are approaching a signal don't zoom before it turns red. Ease off the accelerator and let the car coast till the signal. If it turns red, apply brakes gently, else go past it and then slowly increase your speed.
  • If you are approaching a speed-breaker, ease off the accelerator, & just apply gentle pressure on brake pedal. Once you cross the bump accelerate gently to gain momentum.
  • A relaxed driving style in city helps a lot to keep you blood pressure in control and the car will reward you back by decreased fuel consumption and prolonged engine and transmission life.
Note: I practiced the above things religiously in my three cars & I was rewarded with the below figures:
  • My Indica crossed 150K kms without any engine problems.
  • Changed my factory fitted clutch @ 110K kms
  • Overall mileage was 18.5+ kmpl (around 17 in city and 19 on highways)
  • Even my Innova used to return around 12-13 kmpl in city driving
  • And now my TUV gives me 14 kmpl in city driving
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2017, 15:12   #2193
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post

Now if you compare the tech specs of both the cars, they are evenly matched on kerb weights. Kerb weight of i20 asta is 1066 kg, whereas Swift VDi is 1060 kg. However engine capacity of i20 asta crdi is 1396 cc, whereas that of Swift is 1248 cc. Smaller the engine, higher the FE. So obviously the i20 has a disadvantage over here due to higher capacity engine.
I completely agree with all your other points, that the FE is okay for the run-in period etc. The very tall, additional 6th gear would also help in getting a very good highway FE number on the i20 after the run-in period and first oil change.

However, the kerb weight of i20 Asta you mentioned looks like that for the 1.2 Kappa petrol. i20 Asta with the 1.4 U2 CRDi is significantly heavier than that. I don't know the exact number, but it's close to 1200 kg.

Last edited by RSR : 13th May 2017 at 15:22.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2017, 16:46   #2194
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
I completely agree with all your other points, that the FE is okay for the run-in period etc. The very tall, additional 6th gear would also help in getting a very good highway FE number on the i20 after the run-in period and first oil change.

However, the kerb weight of i20 Asta you mentioned looks like that for the 1.2 Kappa petrol. i20 Asta with the 1.4 U2 CRDi is significantly heavier than that. I don't know the exact number, but it's close to 1200 kg.
I googled for the kerb weight of i20 Asta with the 1.4 U2 CRDi and got the figure of 1066 kg. Even I thought that this is far lower than what I was expecting. Now that you mentioned it's close to 1200 kg, I quickly browsed through Hyundai official website and brochure. However it was of no use as nowhere I could find a mention of the kerb weight. Then it struck me that our official TBHP review itself must be having it, so turned to the first page of this very thread and there the kerb weight of the diesel i20 is mentioned as 1138 kg. Refer the spec comapro picture below.
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-elite-i20.png.jpg
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 10:02   #2195
BHPian

I have been driving my new Elite i20 petrol for the last 2.5 months and clocked 4200km. Before I write an initial ownership review, I would like to share 2 incidents in my ownership, 1 is related to the car and the other is related to the free service experience.

1. During the 1st free service, I was waiting in the customer lounge for collecting my car after the service. After the usual service, the car was brought to the collection area. This area was viewable from the waiting room. It did not take long for my wife to notice that the antenna is missing. I was explaining that it would be removed during the water wash. As we were discussing, we were also witnessing a drama happening around the car. There were 3 different service center guys including the SA bringing 3 different antennas but nothing matched the thread. Then the SA went away and came back with an antenna which was completely damaged. But it got fixed successfully. I was then asked to come to check the car. After the usual checks, I asked the SA why the antenna is damaged. By now, I was able to make out that the one fixed is not what came along with the car and probably belonged to a different car. The SA started saying that they have not removed the antenna. I told him politely that I have seen everything that happened from the waiting room. Then he started saying that they have removed it for water wash and fixed the one which belonged to me. By now, I was losing my patience. But asked him why the damage then. He argued saying that it was my fault as my parking area in home is having rats. I was not ready to accept this and asked him then why is the car cover not damaged. I then showed him the car's photo which was taken a day before the service. But still the SA continued saying that he has fixed the one which belonged to me and he can fix a new one if I pay extra. He also told that there is no chance of mix-up as there were no other Elite i20s on that day for service. I pointed him to the service queue board which had 3 other i20s that day. I told him that I would not accept delivery until I get my actual antenna. I asked to meet the Service Manager. There was further discussions with the SA which went in circles. Then the SA said that there is no stock of new antenna and he will bring it to my home the next day to which I declined. He then asked me to wait for sometime and after 5 minutes, came back with an antenna which looked new. He fixed it and told me that it is a new for free of cost. He still said that he has done a favour for me by replacing my antenna which was damaged by rats. He asked me to give a good rating during feedback. I reported this when I received a feedback call but nothing happened. The antenna might seem a small thing but the way the service was rendered makes me think if I will be able to find if they change something inside the car. Customer focused laws will be the only solution to tackle such issues in my opinion

2. I was in Ooty during May 1st weekend. When I was about to leave from Ooty, the car required refueling. I entered a petrol station which was on an inclined road. I was waiting in the line and there was a Honda City in front of me. Since I was on a slope, I used hand brake to stop the car. When I was moving in the queue, I happened to press the brake pedal twice and came to a halt. But after few seconds, I was able to feel that the brake pedal has become hard and would not press. The car started moving backwards on the slope. To avoid this, I moved the vehicle forward and exited the station (hoping to go for a short test drive and come back again). I was moving downhill and the brake pedal was still hard. I had to use the engine brake and hand brake to stop the vehicle. Once I was safe, I switched the car off and started again. Things were back normal. I remember reading similar issues in petrol elite i20s long back. Isn't this issue fixed? Never expected this to happen to me. What is the solution for this?
Old 20th May 2017, 11:58   #2196
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

I'm getting an average between 14-16kmpl in the city for my Asta CRDI. A key reason in my experience, if i set aside the erratic Bangalore traffic conditions, is the tyre pressure. I use a tyre pressure sensor which is the basis for the inference. Have you checked recently for any tyre punctures? Its quite difficult to make out on the company fitted radials. I once ran around for a week or so with just 19 on one of my rear tyre!

I fill regularly from Shell for city drives. Also, my driving style can't be exactly termed sedate, most of the times

Btw, the car has done around 55K+ kms as of now.

Did you do any mods? Tyre upgrades etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayvelprakash View Post
1. The service experience remains the same with all brands. Write to the regional crm. The response will be better.

2. The hydraulic brake systems need electrical power to function. Hence if you are loosing braking power while the engine is switched on, please do get it checked by a service technician. Probably a bleeding action of the brakes might be enough. You can never rule out rodent attacks either. I would not suspect part/ manufacturing defects at this point. (I assume you were referring to the lack of the regular brake & not that of the hand-brake)
Old 20th May 2017, 18:02   #2197
BHPian

Re: Diesel Asta FE

Quote:
I drive Active i20 but both are comparable I guess.
I get around 16.5kmpl in city rides (~10% highway) and returned around 20.5kmpl for single highway ride I took.

AC on atleast 95% of the time. Always fuel up at Shell. Also I'm accustomed to the gear shift suggestions - I think it helps.

Can you try fueling at single station (preferable Shell) for say 4 or 5 times and get the average?
I also suggest you follow the gear shifting suggestion by the machine.
Lets see how this goes.
Old 20th May 2017, 18:08   #2198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayvelprakash View Post
I happened to press the brake pedal twice and came to a halt. But after few seconds, I was able to feel that the brake pedal has become hard and would not press. The car started moving backwards on the slope.
This happened to me on my previous car Swift (p) but the inclination was downwards. I switched off the car as the car in front was taking longer time to move; while the engine was off, the brake pedal was very hard and no effect on the movement. I switched on the engine but while in slope, the brake was still hard. I had to pull the hand brake to quickly make it to stop. After few seconds, the brake came back.

I felt similar experience in other inclinations as well. Probably the brake hardware does not like the inclination and engine cut off.
Old 20th May 2017, 20:09   #2199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
I'm getting an average between 14-16kmpl in the city for my Asta CRDI. A key reason in my experience, ... I once ran around for a week or so with just 19 on one of my rear tyre!

I fill regularly from Shell for city drives. Also, my driving style can't be exactly termed sedate, most of the times

Btw, the car has done around 55K+ kms as of now.

Did you do any mods? Tyre upgrades etc?

Thank you for your suggestions.. Tyre pressure is not issue as I do check it every 3 weeks or so.
No there are no mods everything stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift View Post
I drive Active i20 but both are comparable I guess.
I get around 16.5kmpl in city rides (~10% highway) and returned around 20.5kmpl for single highway ride I took.

AC on atleast 95% of the time. Always fuel up at Shell. Also I'm accustomed to the gear shift suggestions - I think it helps.

Can you try fueling at single station (preferable Shell) for say 4 or 5 times and get the average?
I also suggest you follow the gear shifting suggestion by the machine.
Lets see how this goes.
Thank you for your suggestions..
I am actually trying to go with gear suggestions indications for 2-3 cycles to see if that is more accurate and provides better fuel efficiency.

Before i20 I used Swift VDI and here are my overall fuel numbers. I used to change gears quite early in Swift like 40 -> 4th , 50-> 5th etc and even when speed drops for few seconds I never really lowered gears unless I was actually going to halt. But FE was fantastic.

Name:  Swift Final.png
Views: 10241
Size:  15.4 KB
Old 22nd May 2017, 13:40   #2200
BHPian

Quote:
This happened to me on my previous car Swift (p) but the inclination was downwards. I switched off the car as the car in front was taking longer time to move; while the engine was off, the brake pedal was very hard and no effect on the movement.
Please never try to switch off your car while you are in downhill. Brakes do not work and you can not press the pedal when the engine is off. Just also please remember that your car is not under your control when the ignition is cut off.
Better waste a few drops of fuel instead of risking your's and your car occupants life when you are on downhill .
Hickstead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 16:03   #2201
BHPian

Quote:
I switched off the car as the car in front was taking longer time to move; while the engine was off, the brake pedal was very hard and no effect on the movement.
That's how brake would behave when ignition is off. We are all used to power (assisted) brake which will work as you expect only when car is on. Without power, you will have to stand on the brake like old days to make it work .

So, never switch off your car when you're in an incline and expecting to move.
Old 25th May 2017, 21:52   #2202
BHPian

Can someone please provide me ex showroom price that was prevailing around March 2017 before the minor additions/deletions. Specifically need to know price of Asta & Asta (o) diesel.
Old 26th May 2017, 11:09   #2203
BHPian

Vehicle : Elite i20 Asta 1.2 VTVT

Did the 60000 kms Service yesterday at Modi hyundai Chunnabhati, Mumbai & the bill worked out to 11000 rupees.

Work Carried out :

Engine Oil + Oil filter
Air Filter
AC Filter replacement
Spark Plug replacement
Brake Pad/ Assembly Cleaning
Wheel balancing & alignment

Car is running stock, no modification has been done by me so far, except Tyre changed to Bridgestone 290 (Same profile & section) at around 50K km on ODO. No complain whatsoever, In the mean time, a recent thought of upgrading to the next segment is going through my mind.
Old 28th May 2017, 22:56   #2204
BHPian

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Hi,
Need some advice. My 2014 i20 elite spotz petrol variant is 46000 km driven. Off late I miss the power and pickup with my car. It is being regularly serviced every 6000 kms and even the tyre's were changed to Yokohama Earth 1 after 38000 kms. The grip has improved since then but I can feel lack of power in 3rd and 4th gear. The car was driven for ~35k kms in 2.5 years and close to 11k in last 3 months. Now I drive approx 100 kms a day. All the Lubes in the car have been changed at 38k service with engine oil being changed during every service. The car has always been serviced at authorized dealer location in Nagpur.

The service center guys mention its natural and there is no issue but i am losing confidence day by day. Not able to find the root cause and subsequent solution to this.

I have rarely revved the car beyond 4K RPM and always tried to maintain the gear ratio as suggested on the dashboard with gear changes between 1500-2500 rpm levels.

Kindly suggested some checks to improve the condition of my car.

Last edited by saurabh89 : 28th May 2017 at 22:57.
Old 5th June 2017, 12:15   #2205
BHPian

Received a link from India Unique Power Train Operation Study for Hyundai for a quite detailed review survey. They wanted to know more about mileage, the gear-speed settings, AC and acceleration usage et al.
anoop_gkris is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed