Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2017, 10:06   #2326
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhs View Post
The cost quote is too high. Did a quick search on 99rpm , the cost for clutch plate and pressure plate for CRDI is around 8k and for VTVT is 4.5k.
http://www.99rpm.com/hyundai/clutch-...elite-i20.html

Not quite sure as to why there's so much difference in the pricing. Will have the invoice by evening today to confirm. Will post it here too.

Rahul
Old 8th September 2017, 13:30   #2327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verma_rahul View Post
Yes, it is steep indeed! Everywhere they have these posters at the service center differentiating Hyundai with other manufacturers, in terms of running costs, but now I feel its just a gimmick. I had a VW Vento TDI earlier which had done about 56K kms in 2.5 years before I sold it off. I never had to pay anything extra, apart from the service costs which used to be around 12K, and that too with a service interval of 15K kms. While, here for an i20, I am paying roughly around 8-9K during every 10K service. This is ridiculous!
You are being cheated by your service advisor / dealer. As I had mentioned here, we have to be very vary of the extra jobs SA's pass off as mandatory. They also use scare tactics "Saar, brake cleaning is mandatory, nahi toh brake fail ho jayega" to convince you that they are looking out for your interests. They are not.

Always check the Cost Estimate for the service you are availing online, and question the dealer on why their estimates are so much higher than Hyundai's. SA's bank on the fact that the average owner would not do their homework (which if we're being completely honest should not be required, but this is India and everyone is out looking for a quick buck), and therefore pass on various extra activities.
Old 8th September 2017, 14:24   #2328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixash View Post
You are being cheated by your service advisor / dealer. As I had mentioned here, we have to be very vary of the extra jobs SA's pass off as mandatory. They also use scare tactics "Saar, brake cleaning is mandatory, nahi toh brake fail ho jayega" to convince you that they are looking out for your interests. They are not.
Haha, don't worry, I am not being "cheated" here. I am not like other owners who give their car for service (even get carried away with the home pick-up and drop service) and rely on the SA's advice. I stand there right in front of my car while it is being serviced. And I am well-informed as well on what is being done in the car and what can be postponed. I don't fall into the trap of extra "care" being offered for my car.

My point here was when they say that servicing a Hyundai (any model) is cheaper than any other manufacturer, it doesn't turn out to be so.

This is the first time that I am not with the car while the clutch plates are being replaced.

Also, while I am writing this, I've received a call from the SA informing me that the total bill is around 12.8K for clutch plate and pressure plate replacement. Master and Slave cylinder replacement is not required.

Thanks for your advice anyways! Also, I am not sure about the Skoda service but you are wrong about a VW service center (in your thread). I've owned a VW Vento myself. Had purchased it brand new and sold it in 2.5 years, after having clocked about 56K kms. I've never experienced a bad situation at all. Infact, on one such instance, the mechanic had messed up with my flip key and the spring action had gone kaput. VW guys were courteous enough to replace it FOC with no questions asked. The price of a new flip key is close to 11K.

Happy motoring!
Rahul
Old 12th September 2017, 14:25   #2329
BHPian

Quote:
Yes the clutch plates are almost gone. Although the SA suggested that it can go for another 5-8K kms., I didn't really want to take a chance as I have a ~5000 kms. round trip coming up by this month end. My car has done 43K kms. in 2 years and 1 month.

About the symptoms, the clutch has become hard enough for my calf muscles to start hating me . Also, during a stop-and-go traffic, the clutch begins to judder, probably when it gets heated up.
WOW at 43k kms only, I am at 79k kms with Elite CRDi (2014) and no such symptoms yet and most of these 79k kms are covered in NCR traffic.

Is it a good idea to probe the SA about the clutch in the upcoming 80k service, that also reminds I am still running on the original brake shoe too

All throughout my car is being serviced at a Hyundai Authorized and they have always maintained that the shoe replacement is not required yet
Old 12th September 2017, 15:20   #2330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
WOW at 43k kms only, I am at 79k kms with Elite CRDi (2014) and no such symptoms yet and most of these 79k kms are covered in NCR traffic.

Is it a good idea to probe the SA about the clutch in the upcoming 80k service, that also reminds I am still running on the original brake shoe too

All throughout my car is being serviced at a Hyundai Authorized and they have always maintained that the shoe replacement is not required yet
Well, it completely depends on your luck too! The office cab that I use is a Swift Dzire. This guy has done 140,000 kms in his car and the clutch plates are still the original ones, factory fitted. He hasn't changed it till now. While some of the members here in Team-Bhp have mentioned that their friends have had to get the plates replaced in 5K kms itself. So you never know

An update to all: The clutch plate, pressure plate and release bearing have been replaced and the overall bill was 12,735/-.
Old 12th September 2017, 19:57   #2331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul_ View Post
I hit this strange problem yesterday for the second time. I have read multiple issues with a/c not working earlier in the thread. Mine is a little different. It happens only when it rains and I think the compressor works just fine but the airflow gets blocked somewhere.
*Unless you have already got the issue rectified* - I faced the exact same problem.

The trigger was slightly different though. Driving into Chennai from Bangalore OR from Hyderabad, just as I entered the higher humid zone, the AC blower noise alone would come with no sign of air / cooling. I had to pull over & rest the car for about 15 minutes, and it would work fine thereafter. The ASCs could not identify the issue, since it was not possible to replicate at will.

After some research online, I found out that this was possibly happening due to freezing of moisture on the aluminium pipe (sorry - don't know what's that called in technical terms), that blocked the airflow and since the sensors never turned the compressor on due to low temp of frozen moisture.

Hyundai's AC servicing is outsourced to a 3rd Party. Got that guy to inspect and he fixed it by changing some little resistance or something with a different specification.

Sorry - am unsure if I am being of much help here with not so specific description of 'what was done'. However, hope you could mention the above and get the AC guys to look at it. I got it done in Hyd and am told that this guy who did it for me is the only one for all of Hyd region - if that helps provide a reference.
Old 22nd September 2017, 12:09   #2332
BHPian

Dear all,

Even I'm facing AC related problem on my 4 months old car. Initially I've always kept the temperature at 23-24 degrees and the cabin was sufficiently cooled. But nowadays even 21 degrees does not cool the cabin. I always use the ACC. So the fan speed seems fine but I don't find the air coming from the vents to be cold enough. I have taken an appointment with the ASC for Monday. Would appreciate any pointers as to what could be the possible reasons for this. I'm going to my trusted SA who has always given me the best advice and has never ripped me off. But still I request you to just let me know if anyone has faced this problem before and what was the solution.

PS- the cooling at 23-24 degrees was sufficient even for sunny days (north Karnataka sun ).

Thanks!!
Old 25th September 2017, 14:04   #2333
BHPian

Quote:

About the symptoms, the clutch has become hard enough for my calf muscles to start hating me . Also, during a stop-and-go traffic, the clutch begins to judder, probably when it gets heated up.

And, 33K+labour charges is only in case of flywheel replacement. In case if its just the clutch plate (and other related part) replacement, then it would be about 16-18K + labour charges.
My elite i20 crdi is also going through the same symptoms. Car has just completed 50k km. Had asked the SA to check the clutch for wear and damages. After an inspection, i was told that the clutch plate and bearing are in good shape. Its the pressure plate that seems to be causing the issues. So they have asked me to continue as long as i can tolerate the heavy clutch. For me the chutch judders only when the engine / clutch is cold, that too only when starting in first gear. After running for about 15 mins, it works normaly.

I was given a quote of about 14k for changing the clutch, excluding machining / cleaning the fly wheel, which is to be done only if required.

Note : have observed that lubricating the clutch slave cylinder and fork helps to reduce the judder.
Old 26th September 2017, 13:02   #2334
BHPian

I have a question to elite owners I am looking to buy asta (o) when I was researching I found the ebd option missing in elite but the sales guy at showroom I visited insists that ebd is a part of abs and not mentioned separate can anyone confirm the same
Old 27th September 2017, 14:38   #2335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knownstrangerr View Post
I have a question to elite owners I am looking to buy asta (o) when I was researching I found the ebd option missing in elite but the sales guy at showroom I visited insists that ebd is a part of abs and not mentioned separate can anyone confirm the same
Don't worry. EBD is a subsystem of the ABS.
Old 27th September 2017, 14:51   #2336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knownstrangerr View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3893546

Referring to an earlier post, It is not clear whether Elite I20 ABS includes EBD too. Specification of Elite i20 says ABS alone.

http://www.hyundai.com/in/en/Showroo...PIP/index.html

whereas the older post shows a snapshot of Creta specifications that shows ABS with EBD. I doubt highly if EBD is present.
Old 27th September 2017, 15:46   #2337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchkamalesh View Post
Don't worry. EBD is a subsystem of the ABS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3893546

Referring to an earlier post, It is not clear whether Elite I20 ABS includes EBD too. Specification of Elite i20 says ABS alone.

http://www.hyundai.com/in/en/Showroo...PIP/index.html

whereas the older post shows a snapshot of Creta specifications that shows ABS with EBD. I doubt highly if EBD is present.

Exactly my doubt previous posts say it absent and it's mentioned separate as ABS plus EBD so there is no proper clarity but SA kept on insisting that it is available SA words can't taken at face value given the fact they would say anything to sell
Old 2nd October 2017, 15:42   #2338
BHPian

I got the thermistor replaced last week. Went for a drive over the weekend on the Bangalore- Chennai Highway and after sometime of driving the problem occurred again- there was no air coming out of the air-con vents- however air coming out was cool. After pulling up on a fuel station I opened up the bonnet with engine running - I could see ice formation on the A/C pipes. Any more suggestions on how to get this fixed or what possible problem it could be ?

Posting some pictures of the same. This ice-formation was seen next to the turbo generating so much heat on a hot afternoon.

My worry is - I hope this doesn't cause some kind of back pressure and kill the compressor !

I shall take it to the service station soon but wanted to get feedback on what could possibly cause this. This doesn't happen every time I drive so infront of the service centre folks its very difficult to replicate and they remain clueless on what the real issue is.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img_3634.jpg  

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img_3636.jpg  

Old 3rd October 2017, 14:04   #2339
BHPian

Hi guys,

I took the delivery of I20 Asta Diesel on 28th of September. I am totally happy with the purchase. We were totally confused between I20 and Nexon, but decided to go with I20 as it has been in the market for almost 3 years.

I just noticed one issue, when I am shifting gears, I can feel and hear the gear lever shift (Metallic Sound). I can hear this when the car is silent and not when the music is playing. Is it common or am I being paranoid?
Old 3rd October 2017, 22:05   #2340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasathlr View Post
Hi guys,

I took the delivery of I20 Asta Diesel on 28th of September. I am totally happy with the purchase. We were totally confused between I20 and Nexon, but decided to go with I20 as it has been in the market for almost 3 years.

I just noticed one issue, when I am shifting gears, I can feel and hear the gear lever shift (Metallic Sound). I can hear this when the car is silent and not when the music is playing. Is it common or am I being paranoid?
From looking at Petrol cars below 10 lacs to a diesel elite, thats cool.
All I would like to say is you made a great choice. Elite i20 had everything you wanted except a decent punch in the Petrol model. You overcame that by going in for the diesel, which is the popular choice.

Coming to the noise, I do not think I have ever noticed such a metallic noise on shifting gears in my petrol version. There is this very slight thud noise when the gear is engaged, but I did not find it metallic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks