Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2018, 23:03   #2521
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchkamalesh View Post
Attached is the bill, please let me know if you think that there are some unnecessary components.
Unless you specifically felt that your brakes were worn out or the SA checked and discovered that less than 2mm thickness was left on the pads, there shouldn't be any reason to have changed the brake pads at 30k. Similarly, the brake overhauling, headlight R&R (!!), engine dressing, ac disinfectant are a complete sham and avoidable items.

Am also not sure which item the "Filter-Cartridge" refers to. I did not have this item on my bill at the 30k service.

Last edited by phoenixash : 27th April 2018 at 23:05. Reason: Added headlight R&R
phoenixash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 23:46   #2522
BANNED

Quote:
I do not think that the SA added any unnecessary items to inflate the bill.
He did sir.

Quote:
Attached is the bill, please let me know if you think that there are some unnecessary components.
Did you ask for headlight adjustment?

Did you ask for front and rear brake overhaul? Front and rear brake overhaul at 30,000 kms is an overkill buddy. Completely avoidable unless you felt issues related to braking.

AC disinfectant and engine de-greasing are completely avoidable. It is a scam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixash View Post
Similarly, the brake overhauling, headlight R&R (!!), engine dressing, ac disinfectant are a complete sham and avoidable items.
+1

Quote:
Am also not sure which item the "Filter-Cartridge" refers to. I did not have this item on my bill at the 30k service.
Filter cartridge is nothing but 'fuel filter'. As per Hyundai fuel filter is changed every 20,000 kms.

You'll find it in 40K service.

Last edited by a4anurag : 27th April 2018 at 23:48.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2018, 00:40   #2523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Filter cartridge is nothing but 'fuel filter'. As per Hyundai fuel filter is changed every 20,000 kms.

Aah ok, thanks for confirming that!

My bill probably said Diesel Filter or Fuel Filter. I remember that being changed at 20K.
Old 28th April 2018, 11:53   #2524
BHPian

Quote:

Did you ask for headlight adjustment?

Did you ask for front and rear brake overhaul?
I did not ask for any of these but the SA said that after doing the brake inspection, he found that the pads were worn and are towards the end of life. Since it was a safety critical part and most of my usage is on the highway, I decided to get it changed.

But only when I got back the vehicle, I saw that the pad has some more life left but still for the benefit of doubt I felt it was ok to replace it.

I asked for fuel filter replacement. At 10k km service, the guys at HMP replaced it without my consent. So after 20k km of usage I got it replaced.

When I get the rating call, I will raise this issue. Thanks for pointing out buddy.
Old 1st May 2018, 12:15   #2525
BHPian

Has anyone done a DIY footwell illumination that is connected to the dome light on Elite i20? Did find detailed DIY for VW, Maruti but not for a Hyundai.
Old 1st May 2018, 13:11   #2526
BHPian

Guys,

A strange problem has occurred from today morning, the AC refuses to start, yesterday it was running fine and occasionally I had the CC frost issue but the drive wasn't too long to notice it in recent past. Only the blower of AC is working and there is no cool air. I got it diagnosed at a nearby mechanic to my office and he said compressor needs replacement. I will go to the A.S.S. tomorrow to get a proper diagnosis done. Please let me know if anyone got the AC compressor changed with cost.
Old 2nd May 2018, 15:54   #2527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorguy View Post
An update to this. I had shown the Youtube video ( https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=hTbj46FVR-Q ) to my SA and told him that the centre fascia was being removed incorrectly resulting in scratches to many customer cars. After he saw it, he called about 2 other mechanics, including the one who worked on my car and I played the video for them. (By the way, the video is in Spanish, but viewing it alone is self explanatory). My SA also told me to email the video link to him so that he can use it further training.

The response was unexpected. They were all happy to see this video and one told me that when they were trained at the Hyundai plant in Chennai, the trainer told them to use screwdrivers to pry open the panel). Anyway they told me for 5 years nobody told them it was the incorrect way to do it. The result of this bad training was quite a few customer cars scratched on the fascia.

The door light switch finally arrived, and using the procedure in the video, my mechanic flawlessly removed the panel without using any screwdrivers and without any further damage to the panel.

So, all's well that ends well. I am only sad that the mechanics are being probably trained in the wrong way in a lot of things - and that too at the formal Hyundai training.

P.S. Using the video, it took less than 10 minutes to remove the fascia. Using the screwdriver it took close to an hour and resulted in 2 scratches.
After the above incident, the fault was not at all with the door light. It was with the plug on the wiring harness which loses contact with the light on the switch intermittently after about 10 minutes of glowing.

After complaining to Hyundai, they said the only solution is that the entire wiring harness has to be changed, since the plug alone cant be changed.

A mechanic tried to reseat the pin on the plug for the light, but that didnt work. I've decided to live with it since at any rate, the doors lock with the switch. Its only the blue lamp that does not glow.... seems too much of effort to change the entire wiring harness for this small issue. Changing the wiring harness is a big job, with dashboard removal and it doesnt seem worth it for this issue.
Old 2nd May 2018, 16:46   #2528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
A strange problem has occurred from today morning, the AC refuses to start, yesterday it was running fine and occasionally I had the CC frost issue but the drive wasn't too long to notice it in recent past. Only the blower of AC is working and there is no cool air.
This issue has plagued many of us elite i20 owners including me.

Most likely it is a problem with the thermistor and getting it replaced should solve the issue. If your vehicle is under warranty, ASS should not charge you anything.
Old 3rd May 2018, 10:41   #2529
BHPian

Quote:
This issue has plagued many of us elite i20 owners including me.

Most likely it is a problem with the thermistor and getting it replaced should solve the issue. If your vehicle is under warranty, ASS should not charge you anything.
How much does it cost?
Old 4th May 2018, 20:59   #2530
BHPian

Quote:
He did sir.
Quote:
I did not have this item on my bill at the 30k service.
I have attached the pictures of the brake pads which were replaced. Looking at it, I feel that it still has some life left in it and could last another 5k km or even 10k km.

I raised this issue with the service center manager and like I predicted, he gave me all gyan about preventive maintenance and how it will keep the vehicle in good shape.

To give you a summary

1. Manager agreed that there was some life left in the pads. However, according to him, it would not have lasted another 10k km. He also added that since it would have been an hassle for me to get the car to the service station for an unscheduled maintenance activity (say after 5k km) just to replace the pads, brake pads were changed now.

2. Brake overhauling, though not mandatory, will improve the vehicle’s performance. I completely agree with this fact but do not agree with the service interval. It’s just too early to get this done. He also added that technicians will remove the wheel and get the brakes checked, so they might as well overhaul it. I see no logic in this.

Unless there is an issue why meddle with it?

3. Manager agreed that SA should have got my consent for misc items such as AC disinfectant, engine dressing, headlamp focusing etc.

As a resolution He has given me a voucher for 1k and a complimentary car wash (interior and exterior).

Based on my previous interaction with Hyundai, I know that all Hyundai will do is mediate between me and the dealer. End of it, dealer will prevail.

I have accepted the offer by the manager and decided to move on.

Quote:
How much does it cost?
It was covered under warranty and they did not charge me anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-pad.jpg  

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-pad2.jpg  

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-pad3.jpg  

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-pad5.jpg  

Old 6th May 2018, 15:00   #2531
BHPian

I had given my Elite i20 for service at authorised service centre Grand Hyundai Palakkad Kerala in March 2018.

Thought of sharing the experience here.

After service it was observed later on that the front left hand side door was not closing properly. I had registered the same complaint on their service feed back call received later.

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img20180504wa0009.jpg

The service centre asked me to bring the car to the service centre to rectify the problem. Since the service centre is 20kms away from my residence and I was busy with work I couldn't manage to bring the vehicle to the service centre.

There were no further calls from their end. This shows their callous attitude towards customer. They want me to drive 40kms up and down, spend my precious time and fuel to bring the vehicle to their doorstep to rectify a fault of theirs.

Unfortunately my car met with an accident and I had given the car for insurance claim at Grand Hyundai on 10.04.18.

It took nearly a month to get the car repaired. Reason for delay was delay in arrival of parts. All the required parts won't come at a time. Their system of working itself is lethargic.

Finally after a lot of commitment slipups I was asked to come for vehicle delivery on 03.05.18, 4pm. I was asked to wait in the reception. After waiting for 3 hours I see my car brought in front of me with a tape strapped on the front grill. The adviser told me to remove it the next day as it might fall down on the way. Reminded me of patients discharged from hospital.

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img_20180504_202123.jpg

This shows their lack of professionalism. Even street workshops will have better workmanship than theirs.

Almost everything inside the bonnet was replaced but still the faulty door was not repaired. When I brought this into the service adviser's notice they immediately took back the car and brought it back saying everything was rectified.

Meanwhile I went to make payment of Rs 5000/- which included consumables charges, depreciation charges and claim charges. Don't know whether this payment was actually required or not.

In this modern age of digital India their service centre doesn't have even a single working card swiping machine and I was made to wander in search of ATMs to pay the money after having waited for so long. Meanwhile their service advisers were happily making merry sitting in air conditioned rooms. The service centre manager was not even present at the office as I was told by the advisor when i was suffering such hardships.

While leaving I was handed over an envelope by the service adviser who told me that the bill was kept inside.

Before leaving I checked to ensure the door fault has been rectified or not. But it was all the same. The time was 7pm and after waiting for 3 hours I was told that a latch was faulty and has to be replaced.

The service person tried to conceal this fact and tried to hand over an incomplete car to me saying that everything was done.

On reaching home and checking the bill handed over to me I found that it was the total claim bill which I was given and not the bill for the Rs5000/- which I had paid for. I was also told that I will be given a receipt with seal for the amount and not a bill.

As a customer I think it is my right to get a bill for payment I had made for parts or consumables which are not covered under insurance. Also I am not making any payment towards charity to be given a receipt for the same.

This shows their lack of transparency in dealing with customers.

I believe that If it takes some procedure to get a bill as per my requirement it is their duty to take up the same instead of making lame excuses.

There was hardly any fuel in the car after delivery and I struggled to reach fuel station and get the car refueled. The car was also not washed properly and there were finger prints and wipe marks all over the glasses and window panes.

I was handed over my car in darkness after 7pm. So I was not able to see the interior properly at that time.

Only after the stench inside the car became unbearable that I removed the carpets and saw these.

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img20180504wa0004.jpg

There is water logging below the spare wheel. All the carpets are wet and stinking. The wet spare wheel is kept as such. The tool kit, Jacky kit etc are drenched.

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img20180504wa0005.jpg

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img20180504wa0006.jpg

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img20180504wa0008.jpg

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img20180504wa0002.jpg

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img20180504wa0003.jpg

No water washing is done and add to that the band aid put in front of the grill.

I cannot find words to describe their treacherous service.

Overall the experience with the service at Grand Hyundai Palakkad was pathetic. Word of caution to fellow Bhpians who plan to take Hyundai cars from Palakkad.. please don't.. unless you find some other dealer which is hard since they are the only dealer in the entire district.
i20ian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 14:11   #2532
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

A strange problem has occurred from today morning, the AC refuses to start, yesterday it was running fine and occasionally I had the CC frost issue but the drive wasn't too long to notice it in recent past. Only the blower of AC is working and there is no cool air. I got it diagnosed at a nearby mechanic to my office and he said compressor needs replacement. I will go to the A.S.S. tomorrow to get a proper diagnosis done. Please let me know if anyone got the AC compressor changed with cost.
UPDATE: The compressor was at fault and got it replaced for INR 16.5k from FNG, the Hyundai A.S.S. was quoting INR 24k for the same compressor with 6 months warranty.
Old 8th May 2018, 19:57   #2533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
Hello,

I happened to see a post in social media that the AVN of 2016 model i20 is upgradable to Android Auto / Apple Car play and some members of the i20 groups have done it.

Apprarently we need to download the updates from Hyundai Map Care and select the files to download as per your AVN (NAND FLASH / USB)

Anyone got any idea on this ?Anybody tried this ? Dealers / SA will say that it is not possible and you need to change the HU only.

Mine is a Nov 2016 model Elite i20 Crdi Asta O. Currently i do not have the Android Auto in my car's AVN .

I got updates recently and my 2017 Feb I20 Asta now supports android auto. is this a news or something that most of you already know and thing of past.
sanjubaba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2018, 22:10   #2534
BHPian

Has anyone heard and given a thought about this Roof Rail? The link says that this item is
  • Made with Fiber Reinforced Plastic (FRP)
  • Black and Silver painted set of 2 roof rails for Hyundai i20 Elite
  • No drilling required
  • Easy installation with heat and water resistant double sided acrylic foam tape.of high adhesive strength
  • Designed to add style to the car and not for load bearing
Old 18th May 2018, 23:29   #2535
BHPian

Hi just curious but haven't seen many ownership threads of elite i20. Even this thread is pretty quiet. Could someone point me to some ownership threads post 2016 or the new facelifted one. Is the premium hatchback segment loosing out to compact SUV's segment. How many of our members still consider buying the elite i20 over the crossovers like S cross and compact SUV's like ecosport, brezza and Nexon etc.

Most Viewed