Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2018, 13:11   #2536
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-20180520_125806_hdr.jpg
Guys, I've managed to make YouTube work on Android Auto thanks to this free app made by Kiran Kumar as a hobby. No more video restrictions and I can play my favourite YouTube videos while driving. My family, especially my kids love it. Here's the link to the download page and you will find installation instructions. http://www.thekirankumar.com/blog/

Should work with any car system with Android Auto compatibility.
swiftdiesel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 15:29   #2537
BHPian

Our Elite i20 Petrol has started having a slight shuddering in 1st gear.

Happens only during cold starts, for 2-3 times, then disappears. It sounds like the kind of shudder you have when the engine is lugging, but it is not related to that.

Is this a known thing or some hints ?

The car is 8 month old and has run 9500km, and is soon due for its next service.
Old 26th May 2018, 12:46   #2538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
How much does it cost?
Around 20-23 k is the estimate given to me by the representative when I had faced the same problem of the compressor not functioning.
Although I got it covered under warranty.
Old 28th May 2018, 12:45   #2539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjubaba View Post
I got updates recently and my 2017 Feb I20 Asta now supports android auto. is this a news or something that most of you already know and thing of past.

Hi sanjubaba,
Can you please tell me how did you do this?

I have Elite 2015 model. Do we need to buy the update from here - https://india.map-care.com/map/Produ...roductIndex=18

Thanks.
Old 28th May 2018, 15:04   #2540
BHPian

Anybody have details on the CVT gearbox of new i20? Is it 6 speed?

Reference:
http://www.team-bhp.com/news/hyundai...ed-rs-704-lakh
Old 28th May 2018, 16:40   #2541
BANNED

I have a petrol elite i20 2014 model with 2 years extended warranty.
My car AC has stopped working suddenly.
I took my car to the service center for repair who told me that since I did not get my AC serviced after 3 years this would not be covered under extended warranty.
Is this really true ?
Old 29th May 2018, 06:52   #2542
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet.fever View Post
I took my car to the service center for repair who told me that since I did not get my AC serviced after 3 years this would not be covered under extended warranty.
Is this really true ?
You just need to spend about an hour to figure this out.. read the manual - page to page and see if there is any mention of an air-conditioner service after 3 years.. my opinion is that this is a pure LIE (my previous car was a Getz and it didn't have an aircon service for 9 years and still it functioned, but then the Getz was a way better car than the i20, not sure if the i20 is so unreliable but I doubt it). If there is no such statement then pull up the service center and ask them to point out a single phrase where such a thing is mentioned.

There is no air-conditioner "service" per se.. they do check hoses and replace a.c filter accordingly in every routine service so that won't be a cause for concern. The only 2 possible reasons for aircon failure will be thermostat conking off which the service center should be responsible for 100% and hoses developing a leak and releasing the a.c gas.. now this might be an issue as hoses may be declared as wear & tear parts and you might have to pay for the gas and the new hose. If the service station wants to please a customer they've to do that under goodwill warranty too seeing that you've taken extended warranty which isn't cheap.
Old 29th May 2018, 08:05   #2543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjubaba View Post
I got updates recently and my 2017 Feb I20 Asta now supports android auto. is this a news or something that most of you already know and thing of past.
Can you please mention how did you update your AVN? My elite i20 Asta (O) is 2017 February make and it doesn't have Android auto. Did you update it from Hyundai ASS or downloaded software from Hyundai map care?

Thanks in advance
Old 29th May 2018, 09:39   #2544
BHPian

Hyundai ASS did it for me. Mine is a Nov 2016 model
Rajesh K R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 10:22   #2545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishy View Post
Anybody have details on the CVT gearbox of new i20? Is it 6 speed?
There is no fixed number of gears in CVT and that's actually the speciality of CVT. In CVT, there is no noticeable gear change going on in the background because there aren't any. That's why manufacturers won't usually mention if the CVT they offer is 5 speed or 6 speed.
The only exception I know is Honda Jazz where they provide paddle shifters for a CVT engine. Why do you need the paddle shifters when there are no gears in a CVT gearbox? The reason is the level of customization Honda has done with the Jazz. They have created a virtual environment where the paddle shifters allow the pulley to go to a preset setting for each virtual gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet.fever View Post
Is this really true ?
Hmm.. I never knew that AC servicing is part of the regular service. I don't remember seeing it in both of my car's (Punto and Aspire) manual. Usually the AC filter is replaced periodically and the hoses are inspected during scheduled service and that's it. Nobody services the AC unless there is an issue with it. My guess, the service centre guys are messing with you to avoid honoring the extended warranty. I would suggest you to do the following.
1. Check the service manual of your car and see if anything related to AC servicing is mentioned.
2. Check the coverage of the extended warranty you had opted for and see if the AC unit is covered under that. Usually the extended warranty they provide will not be as comprehensive as the normal warranty and so there might be a few things that might not be covered in the extended warranty.
Old 29th May 2018, 10:52   #2546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcan123 View Post
There is no fixed number of gears in CVT and that's actually the speciality of CVT. In CVT, there is no noticeable gear change going on in the background because there aren't any. That's why manufacturers won't usually mention if the CVT they offer is 5 speed or 6 speed.
The only exception I know is Honda Jazz where they provide paddle shifters for a CVT engine. Why do you need the paddle shifters when there are no gears in a CVT gearbox? The reason is the level of customization Honda has done with the Jazz. They have created a virtual environment where the paddle shifters allow the pulley to go to a preset setting for each virtual gear.

So why does Toyota mention that Yaris has a 7 speed CVT?
http://www.team-bhp.com/news/66-all-...matic-variants
Old 29th May 2018, 11:09   #2547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishy View Post
So why does Toyota mention that Yaris has a 7 speed CVT?
http://www.team-bhp.com/news/66-all-...matic-variants
Well, I believe that Toyota also has similar approach as to what I was mentioning about Jazz CVT. A conventional CVT never has any specific number of gears. Manufacturers are now trying to have preset ratios to emulate a traditional gearbox. In case of Yaris there are 7 presets and they call it as 7-speed CVT.
Other automatics like VW's DSG, Ford's DCT, etc., have the specified number of gears. So, calling them as 7-speed DSG or 6-speed DCT makes sense.
A 7-speed CVT is nothing more than adding a layer of virtualization above the CVT. Manufacturers try to bring those preset/pre-programmed ratios into picture for various reasons like need for sudden increase in power to overtake, etc.
Then why CVT? Couldn't they go with traditional automatic gearbox? Well, the reasons to go with CVT is to offer better mileage, smoother operation, lower cost, etc. The drawback of CVT is the rubber band effect which leads to slower pick up of pace when the accelerator is floored. To overcome the drawback of CVT's nature, manufacturers smartly bring in the layer of customization (presets). That's where terms like 7-speed CVT pop up. Still a 7-speed CVT would not have 7 gears/teeth similar to a conventional 7-speed auto gearbox.

Last edited by samcan123 : 29th May 2018 at 11:11.
samcan123 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2018, 09:52   #2548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrANTO View Post
Can you please mention how did you update your AVN? My elite i20 Asta (O) is 2017 February make and it doesn't have Android auto. Did you update it from Hyundai ASS or downloaded software from Hyundai map care?

Thanks in advance
Yes , service center updated the software.
sanjubaba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2018, 09:59   #2549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnagarajs View Post
Hi sanjubaba,
Can you please tell me how did you do this?

I have Elite 2015 model. Do we need to buy the update from here - https://india.map-care.com/map/Produ...roductIndex=18

Thanks.
The service center updated the software.

This is the version detail

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img_20180502_202251079.jpg
sanjubaba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2018, 20:45   #2550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasathlr View Post
...They drained the oil, poured in 5.6L of servo oil (yellow in colour).
Hi,
Are your sure they pour 5.6 Ltr? I use 5 Ltr in our Elite i20 Asta CRDi March 2015 during every oil change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchkamalesh View Post

The 4th or 30k service seems to cost a bomb, at par with VW. I do not think that the SA added any unnecessary items to inflate the bill.

Brake pads replacement and AC disinfectant are the two things that could have been pushed to the next service. Attached is the bill, please let me know if you think that there are some unnecessary components.
The Fuel Filter is 3X expensive as compared to what I use.
I use Zip Filter which costs around Rs. 600/- for our Eilte i20.

I did not carry out any Rear Brake Overhaul on our (Current Odometer 3,12,000+ Kms) Xylo till around 2,69,052 Kms. Also the Elite i20 has run more than 1,26,000+ Kms but without any Rear Brake Service (Cleaning/Overhualing). Touchwood.

The Labour Charges are too high for below items-
1. For Front Brake Pads Replacement. Rs. 840/- REALLY?
My FNG charges around 200-250/- for both sides (Left and Right) combined. (Last time I replaced the Brake Pads for our Elite i20 myself at our home. I used Brake Pads of TVS Apache (Make TVS Girling) even though the Brake System is of Mando Make.)

2. Caliper Pins Greasing. My FNG charges 200-250/- for both sides combined. Now I myself do this for our Elite i20 and Xylo at our home.

3. Rear Brake Overhaul- Rs. 965/- Again REALLY?
My FNG would charge Rs. 400-500 for the Rear Brake Liners Replacement (for both sides).

Most Viewed