Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2019, 10:20   #2776
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayvelprakash View Post
Low Pitch Horn (Part Number 96610-C9000) - Rs. 1300
High Pitch Horn (Part Number 96620-C9000) - Rs. 1300
Any notable difference in the horn sound quality between the Hyundai genuine horns you have purchased and similar horns from brands like Roots, Hella, etc? The reason for my question is that the roots windtone horn is also similar sounding to that of a Skoda horn but the price is less (probably around 1000-1500 for a set of 2). Hella is slightly costlier than Roots. I just don't understand why Hyundai horn seems to be costlier than Hella too.
samcan123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 10:25   #2777
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcan123 View Post
Any notable difference in the horn sound quality between the Hyundai genuine horns you have purchased and similar horns from brands like Roots, Hella, etc? The reason for my question is that the roots windtone horn is also similar sounding to that of a Skoda horn but the price is less (probably around 1000-1500 for a set of 2). Hella is slightly costlier than Roots. I just don't understand why Hyundai horn seems to be costlier than Hella too.
Roots windtone is quite low power actually. And its now used by almost all cabbies making it very common. No biker or auto respects it and won't budge after cutting in your lane suddenly. Try the MyTVS trumpets. They are very good in tone (have larger trumpet cover compared to Roots). Pretty premium note & almost identical to the horn you hear in Creta / Compass. Costed me about 3000 for the pair last year including installation and are fine till now.

The reason for pricing is simple. Hella, Roots, Bosch et al are OEMs. Hyundai gets their branded horns made from a vendor with their badge/packaging and sells it as a genuine part. So its costlier. Its same as buying a stock replacement headlamp bulb. You'll be able to find the same item at half the price outside compared to getting it replaced at an A-S-S of any brand.

Last edited by Reinhard : 11th September 2019 at 10:46.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 11:04   #2778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcan123 View Post
I did check similar horns from other brands and felt them to be too loud. But felt the Mobis horns to have the right balance (I tend to use the horns with caution and only when there is an absolute need) and sounded premium. Also, I didn't want to splice any wires and these horns had the same connection as the original horns of the car. It's just my personal preference to go with Mobis than the others
vijayvelprakash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2019, 15:33   #2779
Senior - BHPian

Hi chaps, is there an option to connect 2 phones by bluetooth to the 2017 i20 AVN system? As far as I can see I'm able to connect just 1 phone. Let me know if there's a setting somewhere. The reason I'm asking is to play music from 2 phones through the car speakers.

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 15th September 2019 at 15:36.
Old 22nd September 2019, 08:26   #2780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Hi chaps, is there an option to connect 2 phones by bluetooth to the 2017 i20 AVN system? As far as I can see I'm able to connect just 1 phone. Let me know if there's a setting somewhere. The reason I'm asking is to play music from 2 phones through the car speakers.
No. There's no option to connect two phones.

Here's another thing for all i20 owners to take note if (diesel owners primarily I think as few others have also posted this) - of your hear a krrrrk krrrrk or a kooonk kooonk sound from the left side suspension whenever you are going over a speed breaker (either while climbing it or while descending it) or a smooth depression on the road at lower speeds (less than 15 KMPH), it is a problem with the lower arm. A few others have reported it and I've faced this problem since almost a year now. Initially this sound came very lightly and only at certain exact speeds and angles over the speed breaker and when I complained to the ASS, they were unable to reproduce the sound.

But since I insisted that I am getting the sound they assumed it might be due to the suspension bush and changed it. The sound disappeared for a week or ten days but returned. Once again I took it to the ASS and once again they were unable to reproduce the sound. So I decided to use it for few more months and let the sound increase. Once it did I took it to ASS and this time there were able to hear the sound loud and clear.

They did their diagnosis and it was a problem with the lower arm. The SA informed me that per their SOP, they'll be lubricating the part and if the sound came back then the lower arm will be replaced in warranty. Post lubrication the sound disappeared for a month or so but now it's back. I've informed my SA and he asked me to come down and they'll replace it. Since I've a five year warranty, I was able to wait. But in case any of you are facing this problem and are nearing your warranty expiry, please get the lower arm checked once.

Mine is a May 2017 ASTA (O) diesel that has run 42k and I started facing this problem around the 30k service time. Not sure if the number of kilometres or the age of the vehicle is a factor. Just stating it for reference.
Dhananjay_Desai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 09:34   #2781
BHPian

Hey guys,

I am facing an issue with my car. Today morning when i tried to unlock my car the remote didn't seem to work. So i used the skeletal key and opened it. Once inside, the car couldn't detect the key and wouldn't start. I tried it with the spare key as well and that didn't work as well. After starting it manually and driving around for 5 minutes the key started working normally. I had changed the battery of the car and the keys just recently so highly doubt a dead battery. What can be the issue?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 23rd October 2019 at 07:33. Reason: typo
JD_404 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 1st October 2019, 14:51   #2782
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Was going through the Hyundai Service app regarding 40k service estimates for elite i20 diesel.

The fuel filter needs to be replaced at 40k and is listed at Rs 1898/-. Whereas the same fuel filter costs Rs 938/- for the Venue which shares the same 1.4 diesel with the i20.

Does anyone know the reason for this difference?
Old 2nd October 2019, 22:21   #2783

Hi guys,
I am facing an issue with my 2018 elite i20 sportz (well, I am not sure if it is a problem at all) where the AVN screen goes blank for a second while its playing music and the sound stops too. After a second, the display comes back up and so does the music. Has anybody experienced such a behaviour, should I be concerned?
Old 3rd October 2019, 00:18   #2784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
The fuel filter needs to be replaced at 40k and is listed at Rs 1898/-. Whereas the same fuel filter costs Rs 938/- for the Venue which shares the same 1.4 diesel with the i20.
That's funny. Either Hyundai has changed their design, or has localized the part, resulting in lower cost. The Diesel filter was the single most expensive component of the i20 Diesel which had to be replaced every 20000kms.

If they have indeed localized the part, then the i20 must be able to use it as well. Do enquire at the service center. My next service is almost 6 months away, and will involve a change of the fuel filter.
I usually service my car during the free car care clinic offer, as labour and parts are discounted. Last year saved around Rs.1500.
Old 4th October 2019, 10:08   #2785
BHPian

So I had opted for a 3rd year extended warranty when I bought the vehicle in Aug 2016 and come Aug 2019, the extended warranty expired and I completely forgot about this.

Towards the end of Aug, I got my clutch discs & plates changed and this is when the SA told me that the warranty had expired and asked me the reason for not renewing it especially considering that I had got AC issue rectified twice, power window switch replaced free of cost, all covered under warranty and also got partial reimbursement on the suction hose.

This is when I wrote to them checking about the possibility of extending the warranty despite me not extending it on time (lapsed by over 20 days). Today I finally got the approval to extended the warranty to 4th and 5th year up to 1 lakh km. I have to pay Rs 12,461.

A big kudos to both Hyundai and KUN Pallaikaranai for the support. Things like this make a difference.

P.S. I would urge each of you to opt for extended warranty especially considering the AC issues that I and fellow owners have faced. It gives us peace of mind.

Last edited by katchkamalesh : 4th October 2019 at 10:11.
katchkamalesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 10:38   #2786
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I'm experiencing a considerable decline in pick-up along with jerky gear-shifts. At times, I've to downshift to 1st in a moving traffic as the car is not able to take the load. What can be the reason?

The car was recently serviced at 40K Kms, oil was changed to fully synthetic and the now the ODO stands at 41K.
Old 11th October 2019, 12:09   #2787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchkamalesh View Post
I have been facing hard clutch and sticky gear shift. Recently I drove to Tiruvottiyur, Chennai. The last 9km stretch between Mint and Tiruvottiyur had huge traffic pile up because of ongoing metro work and all the 9 km were covered in 1st gear and occasionally 2nd. The clutch gave a good work out to my leg and it felt like a leg day in the gym.

I have decided to not wait and get it replaced before it damages the flywheel and associated components. I have given my car to Kun Hyundai, Pallakaranai.

The service advisor tells me that clutch disc, pressure plate, and clutch release bearing will be replaced (cost estimate – Rs. 18K) and if the problem still persists, then flywheel, master and slave cylinder will need to be changed as well.

Hope that replacing clutch disc, pressure plate and clutch release bearing solves the issue.

I too feel that maintenance cost is increasing every year. While Hyundai’s website says that average maintenance cost per year is in the region of Rs. 4500 for the first 5 years, I feel otherwise.

I have serviced my car 4 times at A.S.S.
• 10k and 20k km service - I paid around Rs 4500.
• 30k service has been the most expensive at around Rs 12,500.
• 40k km service was roughly around Rs. 7,500.
• Now clutch servicing – around Rs. 18,000.

P.S. Hyundai’s 1.4 engine doesn’t have enough low-end torque to propel the vehicle in 2nd gear and people end up using the clutch often. I have noticed that some of my friends and relatives tend to move the i20 CRDi in second gear at low speeds. This will be the cause for premature replacement of parts. I usually shift to first in those speeds.

Am a 2015 Elite i20 diesel user too. Car has done 75k kms till date.
My service history is like this:

1st service, 1000 kms: free
10k service: 2260.85
20k service: 5609.09
30k service: 4089.04
40k service: 7576.84
50k service: 4052.73
60k service: (done outside) Costed approx 5k + 2480 for ACDelco synthetic oil including roof and mirror black painting
70k service: 2965.65 + 2336 (2*3L Shell HX7 SemiSynthetic)

Average service cost for me: 6061 including paintjobs, synthetic/semi oil usage etc

No major service done till date. Have an eye on the service book and check what all things are to be done before every servicing. Please note, in some cases, replacement is not required. Service advisors know nothing about your car. They suggest things to be changed by looking at the car. They are not gods to judge it by its cover.

Also use clutch for gear changes. Nothing else. If you feel underpowered in 2nd gear, use 1st gear. You can save the clutch.

One last thing. Clutch getting hard may be due to clutch oil/hydrolic issues which is directly related with the cylinders holding the liquid and not other solid parts. If they have changed the clutch disc, pressure plate, and clutch release bearing etc, ask them to show you the changed parts and inspect for damage or worn off signs.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th October 2019 at 14:22. Reason: Smileys = 2 per post.
vishnurajanme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 14:06   #2788
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daf23 View Post
I'm experiencing a considerable decline in pick-up along with jerky gear-shifts. At times, I've to downshift to 1st in a moving traffic as the car is not able to take the load. What can be the reason?
The car was recently serviced at 40K Kms, oil was changed to fully synthetic and the now the ODO stands at 41K.
First 2 things to check would be air filter & oil level. Do check with the dip stick if oil is okay. Also check if the air filter is clean. If not - clean / replace it. Generally these 2 are primary culprits.
Is your car a diesel or petrol? If Diesel - are you feeling lower turbo performance & thus feeling car pick-up is less? If yes - get your EGR valve checked & cleaned.
Old 18th October 2019, 16:28   #2789
BHPian

Guys, is the Elite i20 still worth considering? Or, should I look at something newer(considering the Elite i20 is quite old now)?

Requirements are - Recent launch, Good interiors, Space & NVH, VFM, only hatchback and only Hyundai or Maruti

Last edited by CliffHanger : 18th October 2019 at 16:29.
Old 18th October 2019, 16:45   #2790
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Requirements are - Recent launch, Good interiors, Space & NVH, VFM, only hatchback and only Hyundai or Maruti
Good interiors - Elite i20, Nios i10 in that order

Space - Baleno (albeit low seating)

NVH - Elite i20, Nios i10 in that order

Recent launch - Nios i10, Baleno face-lift and Elite i20 facelift in that order.

As usual it needn't be said that you need to do thorough test drives and inspection of every aspect like NVH, music system, build quality etc before buying. Both Maruti and Hyundai are reliable equally.

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd October 2019 at 17:04. Reason: Repeated text deleted
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed