Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2021, 13:52   #2926
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Last saturday i faced the common issue in Elite i20 series. My AC compressor valve had gone kaput and AC was not cooling the cabin even with lowest temp setting. Went to the showroom and they diagnosed the issue as compressor valve and quoted 15k for the replacement. My extended warranty had expired only a week before and they were not willing to cover the same as a goodwill measure . The showroom also did not have the necessary part in stock. So went to a local automotive AC repair shop and they had the stock and promptly replaced the part. My wallet got lighter by 4.5k
Old 22nd November 2021, 14:14   #2927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kottayamkaran View Post
Hey Vishnu, the below video talks about how the tail gate issue can be sorted at home. Hope you find it useful.
Yes, I saw that video already. But the dismantling part was much easier that whatever was told there. We just need to remove the boot' back cladding (4 screws) and can just unscrew the button (2 more screws) directly. No need to remove the latch or any other parts. Did it today and having the same with me now. As of now using 2 wires for opening the boot. Have to buy the button in the eve. Another interesting thing what I could find is, swift' boot button costs just 250. Dimensions are a bit different. But if it fits, it will be a much better jugaad than replacing the pushbutton alone. Yes, the connector seems a bit different, but we can use the original connector instead
Old 25th November 2021, 19:05   #2928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kottayamkaran View Post
Hey Vishnu, the below video talks about how the tail gate issue can be sorted at home. Hope you find it useful.

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=MetifF74DEc
Finally repaired it.

10 minutes to dismantle the plastic cladding (4+2 screws)

About an hour to pry the switch open without breaking, desolder and solder, and to pack it back

10 minutes again to reassemble.

Switch: took from lab. Costs just 2-3 rs
Used a piece of carbon fiber style decal as covering
Fixed back using 3M waterproof double side tape

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img_20211125_165027.jpg
vishnurajanme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 12:45   #2929
BHPian

Elite i20 Diesel Asta owner.
I often travel between Bangalore and Chennai in my car. Most of the times I drive in 100-110 kmph range. A couple of weeks ago, I had to make an emergency travel during rain. It was drizzling throughout the journey with occasional outbursts here and there. Most of this journey I was able to ride at 80-90 kmph only due to road conditions. During the stretch with outbursts, it was down to 40-50 kmph or less.

100-110 kmph in my car is just over 2000 rpm in 6th gear with the turbo kicked in. I always try to maintain this because I was assuming that turbo is helping me recover something which otherwise will be wasted.
80-90 kmph was under 2000 rpm in 6th gear without much use of turbo.

Earlier, my fuel economy usually ranged from 16-17 kmpl. This time, it was over 20+ kmpl. I am now wondering the following:
1. Does turbo help in improving FE?
2. If I have to ride between 80-90 for long distance, would it be better if I ride in 5th gear (2000+ rpm, turbo kicked in) or in 6th gear (2000- rpm, no turbo) - purely in terms of FE.

Of course, I can do a quick run and experiment for point 2 above, but I'm looking for a theoretical answer.

Thanks
Palani
Old 15th December 2021, 21:16   #2930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoholic31 View Post
Recently, I have started facing a very strange issue where whenever I'm in a traffic or idling, it either shuts down automatically or it starts making a sound like a tempo/generator (Kat Kat) with heavy vibrations and it goes away as soon as I start driving.
I gave the car to HASS in Lucknow for engine stall and noise issues but they could not find the root cause of the same. The diesel filter was changed and regular service was done, however, after driving for around 20 KMs, the problem resurfaced. I have made a video where the RPM is fluctuating and it is making different noises. I'm planning to take the car to the service centre again tomorrow.

Did anyone face similar issues with their cars in the past?
Old 16th December 2021, 23:11   #2931

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurupalani View Post
Earlier, my fuel economy usually ranged from 16-17 kmpl. This time, it was over 20+ kmpl. I am now wondering the following:
1. Does turbo help in improving FE?
2. If I have to ride between 80-90 for long distance, would it be better if I ride in 5th gear (2000+ rpm, turbo kicked in) or in 6th gear (2000- rpm, no turbo) - purely in terms of FE.
I drive an Elite I20 Diesel Asta with 48k on the odo, 70% to 80% of which is highway driving. Here's my observation, the A-pedal becomes very sensitive to input once the turbo boost kicks in. From about 2100,2200rpm it crosses 2500rpm in no time, more so in the lower gears. To answer your points,

1. Yes. Turbo definitely helps increase the FE. But in I20 I feel that to extract good FE, the sweet spot in the rev band is very narrow IMO. If you keep it between 2200 to 2400 rpm, you will be rewarded with very good FE

2. Purely in terms of FE, you are better off in the highest gear. This is true of all cars/engines.

Wondering if you fueled from different pump on this occasion? If not, then consider that you drove in Eco-mode
Old 28th December 2021, 11:16   #2932
BHPian

Hello Guys,

Can someone pls confirm, if Elite i20 Asta O CVT comes with wireless charger as standard?

I am specifically checking for 2019 October deliveries. MY July 2019.
Old 2nd January 2022, 15:46   #2933

Keep or Move on - i20 1.2L petrol

Hello BHPians,

I'm looking for some advice with my current car and/or a potential upgrade.

I currently own a i20 Sportz variant manufactured in 2017 (Kolkata) and with the car closing in on 5 years and the road tax soon to expire in a few months' time, I'm faced with a decision of whether to keep it or look for an upgrade.

This situation is further complicated by the fact that the vehicle was purchased and registered in Kolkata and moved to Bangalore (where I moved for work) in early 2020 (just before the pandemic kicked off). As a result I haven't had the chance to drive it properly in the last couple of years (except for short city runs) and not yet paid the hefty Karnataka road tax. Also I've been stuck in Kolkata for the past year and the engine hasn't been started at all during that period.

Given all this I am skeptical about whether I should register the car in Karnataka, pay the repair costs (not fully sure what this would include except for the obvious ones like battery replacement, engine oil change etc.) and stick with this car. This one has run for only 15k km so far which is a big factor that has almost persuaded me to stick with it for few more years. I would really appreciate some thoughts about what are the cons of having an engine that has not run for just over a year. Are there any long term reliability concerns in such a case?
P.S. I will see the car in person next week for the first time since a year. There might some other issues which might come up in inspection like wire cuts, rat nests and the like although the car is parked in an indoor garage.

This is my 2nd car (the first was an Hyundai Eon which I drove for around 25k km over 3 years) and at the time of purchase I was quite impressed by the i20 given the fact that I was used to driving such a basic car at that point. Over time I've driven a few more cars and started to appreciate the joys of driving and now I'm not too keen to go back to my sluggish i20. I'm sure anyone who has driven this car will confess the engine seems off the boil at the low and mid ranges and overall it's not an engaging drive. I find myself wishing I had considered the Swift in 2017 which a friend of mine bought at the same time. Despite it being a bit cheaper and the overall ride quality being slightly lower than the i20, it is still such a good, fun drive.

I've started looking at options for an upgrade with a budget of around 15L to 17L OTR Bangalore. I'm not set on any particular segment since my requirements are only for myself (no family members to carry around). I will drive the car myself and except for some road trips, I'll probably be the only person in the car. I'm only looking at MT options and so far I've test driven the following:
  1. Honda City 5th gen ivtec - This one was easy to fall in love with. I did not dislike anything in particular and the only things I was a little doubtful with are the engine response in low to mid ranges and the premium back seats.
    • I took 2 test drives from 2 different showrooms in Kolkata and while the first one had significant pulling power and great refinement, the other was sluggish and it's engine made too much noise. This 2nd car had been driven for 18k km already and by different people but I did not expect such a degradation with such low mileage. I've heard and read great things about how rev-happy and lasting the vtec engine is so I'm not sure how that car ended up like that or if it was a quality control issue.
    • Another minor problem I have with this car is how much premium I'm having to pay for the lounge like experience on the back seats, given no one is ever expected to sit there. But I know this can't be a deciding factor.
  2. i20 N line - I drove the DCT variant and it is nothing like an i20 as I have known. But this one is not available in MT so I'm not considering it.
  3. Creta NA petrol manual variant (not sure what it's called) - Sitting up high with a good view and the panoramic sunroof were the highlights of this car. The driving experience was unremarkable and the 1.5L petrol engine did not seem to be punchy at all. Given the 1.4 turbo GDI is out of my budget, I'm not considering this anymore.
  4. VW Polo Highline plus manual - I had heard lot of good things about this car over the years (specifically the GT with the DSG, although this comes with a TC now) and all of them are true it seems. The engine just keeps on pulling across all rev ranges and I really liked the suspension across some moderate Kolkata roads. But with VW upselling the Taigun, pausing Polo manufacturing and rumors about this car being discontinued I'm not sure if a purchase would be possible or a good choice. Also the features and space are a downgrade from my current i20.

Apart from the above I plan to look at the petrol Verna (expecting it to be comparable to the City but I prefer how the City looks) and Vento (availability issues similar to the Polo). I find the Taigun to be overpriced and since I plan to own a single car I cannot risk buying anything from Skoda due to their infamous after sales problems.

Apologies for the lengthy post but any advice regarding any of the above would be very helpful since I need to decide pretty soon if I plan to keep my current car or not.
Old 2nd January 2022, 22:02   #2934
BANNED

Re: Keep or Move on - i20 1.2L petrol

The previous i20 is a great car.
The current facelift is not liked by many.

My suggestion is to keep the i20 as many new cars and facelifts are coming in 2022 and 2023.
Old 4th January 2022, 13:40   #2935

Quote:
Originally Posted by AamirHussain View Post
The previous i20 is a great car.
The current facelift is not liked by many.

My suggestion is to keep the i20 as many new cars and facelifts are coming in 2022 and 2023.
Yes it is quite good but it is a very utilitarian drive. That is the only problem I have with it. Since I have to make a hefty payment (state transfer) to continue driving it, I'm considering selling it now.
Old 5th January 2022, 14:12   #2936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchatterjee89 View Post
Hello BHPians,

I currently own a i20 Sportz variant manufactured in 2017 (Kolkata) and with the car closing in on 5 years and the road tax soon to expire in a few months' time, I'm faced with a decision of whether to keep it or look for an upgrade.

This situation is further complicated by the fact that the vehicle was purchased and registered in Kolkata and moved to Bangalore (where I moved for work) in early 2020 (just before the pandemic kicked off). As a result I haven't had the chance to drive it properly in the last couple of years (except for short city runs) and not yet paid the hefty Karnataka road tax. Also I've been stuck in Kolkata for the past year and the engine hasn't been started at all during that period.
What you will need to figure out is whether you want to go through pain of RTO transfer, as per rules, you can drive vehicle beyond 1 year in other state. typical maintenance you mentioned is not big deal, even if you sell it, you will still be required to make vehicle sellable.
considering extremely hot used car market these days, I would suggest to sell vehicle in kolkata, either do same segment upgrade or move to compact SUV's, by suggestion will be CSUV segment.
Old 5th January 2022, 19:01   #2937
BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHPians,

So in Kolkata, road tax is paid only for 5years, I presume. You don't need to do anything at Bangalore RTO to drive the car here. You pay road tax at WB and continue using the car here. i20 is a premium hatch and you can enjoy it for another few years.

From your long list, it looks like you are planning to sell the car. If you are selling it, don't even dream of selling it in KA. It is a very difficult process in terms of RTO and it will be far better to drive it back to WB and sell it off there. Another idea is to sell it to someone from WB with address proof in WB who is residing in Bangalore currently. Make sure, you take care of the paper work and RC transfer in WB. I took this route in 2014, when I was selling my motorcycle, the buyer was relocating to Kerala.
Romins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 20:24   #2938
BHPian

First check if your car can get registered in Karnataka or not. As per a lot of RTOs only BS6 vehicles are getting re-registered from another state. If your vehicle is BS4, then check if RTO will be willing to register your vehicle or not.
Old 6th January 2022, 00:53   #2939

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romins View Post
So in Kolkata, road tax is paid only for 5years, I presume. You don't need to do anything at Bangalore RTO to drive the car here. You pay road tax at WB and continue using the car here. i20 is a premium hatch and you can enjoy it for another few years.
Before transferring the car I got a NOC from Kolkata RTO (where the car was first registered). But I was under the impression we can drive a car in a different state upto 12 months after moving there. Beyond that I think we need to pay the road tax to be able to drive it legally. Do let me know if I'm wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romins View Post
From your long list, it looks like you are planning to sell the car. If you are selling it, don't even dream of selling it in KA. It is a very difficult process in terms of RTO and it will be far better to drive it back to WB and sell it off there. Another idea is to sell it to someone from WB with address proof in WB who is residing in Bangalore currently. Make sure, you take care of the paper work and RC transfer in WB. I took this route in 2014, when I was selling my motorcycle, the buyer was relocating to Kerala.
Yes if I decide to sell it now (without registering and paying KA road tax) I'll definitely sell it in Kolkata.
Old 6th January 2022, 10:36   #2940
BHPian

Quote:
Before transferring the car I got a NOC from Kolkata RTO (where the car was first registered). But I was under the impression we can drive a car in a different state upto 12 months after moving there. Beyond that I think we need to pay the road tax to be able to drive it legally. Do let me know if I'm wrong.

Yes if I decide to sell it now (without registering and paying KA road tax) I'll definitely sell it in Kolkata.
If you got NOC, it makes a little complex now. You were supposed to use NOC and "migrate" the car to KA. if you don't do it within six months, you are supposed to get NMC (Non-migration certificate) from KA when you move back to WB. Check the car details in Vahan website. It will give you a clear picture of the status.

You can drive your car anywhere in India, as far as you have valid RC, insurance and PUC. Local cops will trouble you for non-KA registration, that is a different story. My Santro is running in Kerala since 2012 with KA number plate and my father had never been troubled because of that. I am very sure, in almost all the states in India, KA regn vehicles will be seen due to pandemic.
Romins is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks