Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2014, 17:39   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
Apart from uncomfortable ingress and egress for tall people and turbo lag , are there any niggling issues that bother the owners ?
Turbo lag?? The Elite i20 is extremely drivable in the city and out on the highway. You don't need to press the throttle and wait till the turbo spools up. It has adequate grunt to fill those gaps in traffic too without the need to downshift very often. The 1.4L CRDI is undeniably the engine (in comparison to the 1.2L) that your BIL may want to consider. It is one of the better motors available among hatchbacks in India as of today.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2014, 19:17   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Turbo lag?? The Elite i20 is extremely drivable in the city and out on the highway. You don't need to press the throttle and wait till the turbo spools up. It has adequate grunt to fill those gaps in traffic too without the need to downshift very often. The 1.4L CRDI is undeniably the engine (in comparison to the 1.2L) that your BIL may want to consider. It is one of the better motors available among hatchbacks in India as of today.
Oh ok !!
I just read it here somewhere that there's a lag in between 1500-2000 rpm while driving in the city !! Did I read wrong ??
I am sure I would endorse this to him and would accompany him for the TD too
Old 29th November 2014, 21:42   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Oh ok !!
I just read it here somewhere that there's a lag in between 1500-2000 rpm while driving in the city !! Did I read wrong ??
Well it's true for the first generation i20. There is significant turbo lag till about 1800 RPM, that's the point when turbo spools in and you get the acceleration. I have 2011 crdi model and in 3.5 years I have learnt to be patient with this . Frankly it's the highway where you see the true colours, runs like a horse.

From the reviews it looks like they have addressed this in the elite and probably the igen version as well.
somitra1981 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 09:55   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Hi. I do about 150 kms a day and have experienced tremendous turbo lag on the highways. However its a breeze in city driving conditions. The car when pressed hard feels dead around 1800 rpm. the only trick is to keep it above 2k rpm if u wanna overtake fast.
Old 1st December 2014, 10:05   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Oh ok !!
Yes the turbo lag is quite evident in my car as i do about 150 km a day all of it on the highway. Do respect observations of all here but this is a personal feeling . If pressed hard does take time for the car to leap to its actual potential. However if u do it gently and gradually it behaves well. Have completed 6k now.
Old 1st December 2014, 10:34   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepu Sharma View Post
Hi. I do about 150 kms a day and have experienced tremendous turbo lag on the highways. However its a breeze in city driving conditions.
Shouldn't it be the other way round? Most people face the problem of turbo lag within the city, in traffic conditions whereas on the highways, the RPMs are generally in the 2k range hence, it would be a breeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepu Sharma View Post
The car when pressed hard feels dead around 1800 rpm. the only trick is to keep it above 2k rpm if u wanna overtake fast.
Yes, you do need to be above 2k RPM for a quick overtake, but do you really think that the car is dead below 1800 RPM? How would you compare a 1.3 motor of the Swift in comparison to the Elite i20? I just want to understand your POV.
Old 1st December 2014, 12:30   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Shouldn't it be the other way round? Most people face the problem of turbo lag within the city, in traffic conditions whereas on the highways, the RPMs are generally in the 2k range hence, it would be a breeze.

Yes, you do need to be above 2k RPM for a quick overtake, but do you really think that the car is dead below 1800 RPM? How would you compare a 1.3 motor of the Swift in comparison to the Elite i20? I just want to understand your POV.
Hi the turbo lag is evident only in a certain range 1700 to 1900 rpm . the rest of it it is quick . The lag in swift is much greater though the range of this lag is at the much lesser rpm . Of the two i think the I 20 is more comfortable . However have also witnessed the honda engines which do have their shortcomings but are more linear towards power delivery. Only if Hyunai could have got a Variable Geometry on this , the car would have no match at all and would be a strong contender to its bigger siblings too.
Old 1st December 2014, 14:16   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Petrol version owners can you let us know the mileage.Asking on behalf of a friend.
Thanks.
My Asta has done 6500 kms in couple of months and i always get around 17-18 FE with AC so far
ssengo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 14:45   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssengo View Post
My Asta has done 6500 kms in couple of months and i always get around 17-18 FE with AC so far
Thats great FE you are getting. I have done around 2000 KMs till now and avg. FE has been around 16. Can you please provide more details like driving conditions, shifting pattern, Tyre pressure etc.

Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 09:49   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckranjan View Post
Thats great FE you are getting. I have done around 2000 KMs till now and avg. FE has been around 16. Can you please provide more details like driving conditions, shifting pattern, Tyre pressure etc.

Thanks
I usually maintain tyre pressure of 33 PSI and stick to the gear shift indication on the panel. Normally fill the fuel tank full in a HP company outlet close by home. For the first 100 kms on long drives, i maintain speeds between 70-80 and thereafter push it to 110 max

After reaching 6k+ kms, my asta is super smooth now and really love it

Hope this info helps.
ssengo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 09:52   #326
BHPian

Cross posting form whats that Sound thread where i didn't receive any replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckranjan View Post
My Elite i20 petrol is 40 days old have done around 2100 Km till now. Under heavy breaking just before the car come to complete stop there is a loud thud noise. Is it normal?

Apart from this there is no other noise even while driving on bad roads.

I am not very well versed with cars as this is my first car. It happens both times when I break with or with out pressing the clutch pedal.

I'm little worried. Please help me out.

Thanks
Also Some times i get kat kat sound when under heavy braking when the car does not come to complete stop. Checked with HASS and they are saying that its normal and its ABS kicking in. But I'm not convinced.

Last edited by ckranjan : 3rd December 2014 at 09:56.
Old 6th December 2014, 19:32   #327
BHPian

Hi all,

This is going to be my second car purchase after shelling out my maruti sx4 due to bad FE. I have test driven both petrol and diesel and noticed the lag below 2000 rpm. Pickup is pretty bad and I had to press the pedal hard to move the vehicle in the first gear.

Nevertheless I have decided to buy the sportz variant. But the Hyundai factory outlet is not giving any discount except the floor mat and mud flaps. I have chosen red passion since this car looks very premium in this color.

Please let me know if this is a good purchase or should I consider swift, polo or grande i10.

I am going to buy under 100% finance from Hdfc bank. I have been quoted 12700 for 5 years for ex-showroom + insurance. RTO charges I have to shell out from my pocket.

Please let me know is this a good quote and good choice of car.

Regards
Uday
Old 7th December 2014, 08:28   #328
BHPian

Hi,

I have a sportz petrol, I have felt a weird sound, like a metal rod rubbing against a concrete tarmac, this sound only has come at one place till now.

It happens when I am exiting my office, Where there is a downward slope, and then there is one of those ready made speed breakers, now I break before the speed breaker, and then have to brake again immediately, as there is a boom gate immediately after that.

This is where I hear the sound without fail, if the car has jumped a bit on the speedbreaker.

I have never driven an abs enabled car, so cannot confirm my suspicion that it is the sound of ABS, would somebody be able to confirm on this?

Only 1100 kms done, first service still due.
Regards
S
Old 7th December 2014, 10:29   #329

Ckranjan and Aspire:
Well I own a sports petrol too. I have also experienced this thud noise while breaking a bit harshly before a speed breaker or deep pothole. The noise comes before the actual breaker or pothole but is very heavy.
I did not pay much attention till now but now both of you have pointed this out, I feel a little worried too. Should this be brought to the attention during my impending 1st service, yes of course. But wondering whether it's just the ABS kicking in!!!!??
Old 7th December 2014, 11:48   #330

I too have noticed this sometimes. I feel ABS kicks on too. Probably should keep an eye on the info display near the speedometer, cause the ABS icon should light up when that happens?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks