Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2014, 14:30   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

I was riding my motorcycle, heading home. There was a car in front of me. I did not pay much attention to what the car was. Blame the grey color. I got an opportunity to over take. As I reached half length of the car, I had to back off. It is at this time I noticed that the car I was overtaking seemed to be on the higher side. As I got behind the the car, the first thing that I notice are the tail lamps. I think the car is the new Santa Fe but I am still not sure about it. The next thing that I see is the VTVT badge and that is when I figure out the car is the new i20. Stunning little car to look at.
Old 3rd September 2014, 14:32   #32
BHPian

Excellent, In-depth, unbiased, no stone unturned - I've run out of words!! . I've made a point to myself that - any new car reviews, I read it first on T-BHP even it comes up on other websites first. The reason being, no other reviews give a clear picture on the high & low points of the vehicle. Once again thanks for being a benchmark on automotive reviews.

Regarding the looks of the Elite-i20, I can't help but agree to Crazydriver's views. For me, it looks a bit of everything. I kind of liked the old i-20's clean look. But people's taste do differ and the number of booking it has garnered after the launch validates it.

Good to know that Hyundai has worked on the suspension and handling front which in my opinion was deal breaker in the previous gen i20. But if the steering feedback is in lines with the Grand-i10, it still wouldn't please me. Having driven the Grand-i10, i couldn't feel connected with the vehicle as i felt with the Punto, Figo, Swift & Polo. It was too light for my liking.

Also Hyundai skimping on the existing features and equipments of the outgoing model is a bit of downer. The absence of DTE and Real time efficiency indicators is also annoying. I believe the Verna has them - Please correct me if I'm wrong. Or maybe it is a locked feature and needs a DIY like BHPians Sowmyajit9 and salbin did with the Chevy Beat.

So as a prospective buyer in the market for a premium petrol hatch, would I pick the Elite-i20? I don't think I would. Yes it does have all the bells and whistles and safety, but to go for the Asta variant at that price doesn't look practical to a person like me who is targeting the top variants across the segment. The new VW Polo HL , Upcoming Swift facelift or even the long awaited Tata Bolt seem to be a best bet. As far as Diesel is concerned, it would be a good proposition.

I do not intend to offend anyone with my above rants, but I must say I'm a bit disappointed with the latest offering form Hyundai.

Once again thanks S2 for a brilliant review.
Mahesh Prasad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 14:34   #33
Team-BHP Support

Excellent review S2!!! Rated the thread 5 stars.

Coming to the car, it turned out to be a bit shocking that the new car lacks the features of its outgoing model, when the scoop shots were coming out in the older thread. Hyundai is known for cramping features in their cars (Grand i10 anyone? Rear AC vents, keyless entry and go, electric folding mirrors). This comes as a surprise specially the rear disc brakes and the additional airbags in the top-end variant. Perhaps the number of takers for the top-end Asta were less compared to the other variants? Hyundai now needs to manage as many lesser bins on their shop floors and lesser stock of these spares. The European design may not appeal to a select few. I loved the new design however. We saw a few out on the roads on the eve of Ganesh Chaturthi, last Friday and caught our eyes. I did however find the large black C-pillar (plastic!) not to my liking. Even that rear-view camera jutting out on the boot lid which was otherwise found neatly tucked on the number plate slot.

A bit sad that we lost out on a bunch of premium features that the refreshed i20 which launches abroad, would receive.

Projector headlamps with DRLs and positioning lights:
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-output_kifef8.gif

LED tail lights:
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-output_d8kyhn.gif

Panoramic sunroof:
Name:  i20_new_03.png
Views: 26571
Size:  220.2 KB

Source - Hy Eu - i20

Probably, the headlights and tail lamps could be retrofitted on the Indian models without involving a lot of hassles.
Gannu_1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 14:36   #34
BHPian

I don't think this is a design mismatch, this is how it looks even in a Honda City (one car where I have noticed it..), anyone here who knows what is the science behind one such a design?
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-hyundaielitei2028.jpg  

Old 3rd September 2014, 14:37   #35
BHPian

As usual, the best and most comprehensive review of i20 there is, many thanks for that. This car is seriously a looker, especially from the rear angles. Petrol will not appeal to enthusiasts but will still be a hit with the public.

Its unfortunate Hyundai, like most others, have skipped on basic safety features like airbags in lower variants. I think only a government regulation can solve this cost cutting habit of car manufacturers, just like seat-belts were made mandatory years ago...

Also what could be the reason for skipping basic MID info on fuel efficiency/DTE, time and again in their hatchbacks?

Overall, a very appealing package, and I guess its real competition will come in the form of Honda Jazz next year.
heavenlybull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 14:54   #36
BHPian

Good review. Elite is a treat to the eyes. Nice smooth and sharp finish. A real evolution. I am still wondering when they very keen on airbags and ABS, why cant they provide a autolock feature ! And the turning radius of 5.2. Now thats quite big !
Rubbertramps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 15:03   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

Plus, this was a great chance for Hyundai to rectify two major issues of the earlier-gen i20s - the under-powered 1.2L petrol engine and a diesel AT. A car of this size and weight demanded the 1.4L petrol.

Also, the 1.4L diesel packs enough punch both power-wise and torque-wise to be a fantastic highway runner, so they could have paired an AT box with it, just to give a second option to the buyers who would be looking at the Zest diesel AT.

The 1.4 petrol would take the car over the 1200cc limit for excise benefit.

I don't see how they would price the diesel AMT given it already is the most expensive car in its class. The diesel is priced at a hefty 1.3L premium over the petrol.

1. There is no significant difference between petrol and diesel prices anymore
2. The 1.4 U2 CRDI is not the most efficient diesel engine in the market anyway

As such, its not great value to begin with unless your scale of driving matches a cabbie's or you are buying it for the performance.

Adding an auto box will price them out of the market. Already, the diesel Asta's price is touch and go with the City.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 3rd September 2014 at 15:06.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 15:06   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Getz Prime Vs Elite i20 : Comparison on certain aspects

Kerb Weight of Getz 1044-1060 kg (varies as per variant) compared to i20's 1018kg in petrol. I still remember the Getz brochure focussing heavily on its steel bar safety beams on doors. Definitely build has suffered in the Elite.

Engine power : 1.3L 83ps @ 124nm vs 1.2L 82ps @ 115nm (petrol) Diesel 1.5 L 110ps vs 1.4L 89ps. Getz wins anyday.

Dimensions : Getz is 5 inches shorter and 2 inches narrower, yet due to flat rear seats, seating 3 is no problem and I saw no improvement in space other than width in the front. The smaller size of Getz is a boon in congested cities and yet its heavier in weight. The doors feel much more solid than i20.

Grab handles : Handy spring-loaded handles that fold away softly in Getz vs the carpenter-style fixed handle of Elite.

Luggage space : 288 vs 285. Obvious win.

2-stage rear seat recline adjust in Getz absent in i20

Foldable chunky plastic hook behind the front passenger seat for groceries upto 2kg.. very useful missing in Elite.

Auto-door locks - One has it, one doesn't. Big miss.

Un-compromise? I think not. Better luck on Elite face-lift Hyundai. Coming from a fan of the brand.
dark.knight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 15:27   #39
BHPian

No doubt it is a good car. The looks and design have improved.

However, removing safety features like 6 airbags, rear disk brakes and DRLs should make us conclude that the newer version is inferior to the outgoing version. The first generation did duty from 2008 to now, for 6 years. This one might take us to 2020. It is regrettable that Hyundai which sells cars with safety features in most other international markets considers that going in to the next decade people in India should not even have an option of what are considered mandatory basic safety features in the EU and the US.
Old 3rd September 2014, 15:33   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
I don't think this is a design mismatch, this is how it looks even in a Honda City (one car where I have noticed it..), anyone here who knows what is the science behind one such a design?
Exterior design and interior design are worked on fairly independently. The window sill line is common for both. It seems that the interior designers here wanted to have that "wrap around" effect from the door-pads to the dash (even though they meet at a square corner, rather than a continuous curve as seen on some other cars).

As a result, they had to sweep up the interior door-pad, whilst the outside window-sill had to follow the exterior lines. Hence the 'mismatch'.

It's not a huge flaw, or even an eye-sore - but it is a mismatch nonetheless, and that's what its been pointed out as.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd September 2014 at 16:03.
Rehaan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 15:35   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
The 1.4 petrol would take the car over the 1200cc limit for excise benefit.

I don't see how they would price the diesel AMT given it already is the most expensive car in its class. The diesel is priced at a hefty 1.3L premium over the petrol.

1. There is no significant difference between petrol and diesel prices anymore
2. The 1.4 U2 CRDI is not the most efficient diesel engine in the market anyway

As such, its not great value to begin with unless your scale of driving matches a cabbie's or you are buying it for the performance.

Adding an auto box will price them out of the market. Already, the diesel Asta's price is touch and go with the City.
They were offering the 1.4 with the AT in the previous generation, so any difference offsets with that could have been covered. After all, it is marketed as a premium hatch, so commanding a slightly-more premium price couldn't have been a problem, now that the Asta (O) is no longer available and Asta is the top variant. I think it has to do with FE figures more than anything, but that too could have been tuned and tweaked, like the Maruti guys do with their VVTs and DDiSes.

Considering that they are providing the corresponding diesel AT variants at ~72K over the manual variant (XCent S(O), SX (O), Verna SX, SX (O) CRDi), the Elite i20 Sportz/Sportz (O) Diesel AT could have been priced at 7.86L-8.16L, ex-showroom Delhi. That is a good alternative to the Zest XMA diesel AT, considering the quality difference and features-on-offer in both cars.

That's why I said in my previous post to use the Sportz/Sportz (O) variants for the diesel AT, to keep prices lower and the offerings comparatively competitive. And, difference in running and mileage figures will always be there, irrespective of petrol-diesel price differences.

The diesel Asta's price is touch and go with the City?? It's more in line with the Polo Highline/GT TDI, XCent SX (O), Amaze VX MT and the DZire ZDI (to an extent). The Elite i20 Asta diesel costs 7,67,000/- ex-showroom Delhi, while the City diesel range starts from 8,38,000/- for the EMT diesel.

Sharing my post from the Zest Official Review thread:

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-untitled.gif

Last edited by RavenAvi : 3rd September 2014 at 15:37.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 16:06   #42
BHPian

Excellent Review S2. Also, an unbiased one ; this coming from a Hyundai owner myself. i20 is churning out to be a cashcow, now that Hyundai is charging more premium by excluding features like rear disc brakes, 6 airbags, etc.

Also, my Igen i20 crdi came with a single keyfob. Is it still the same story with the Elite i20? Just wish Hyundai provided these features which could justify the price premium paid by customer.
CoolBlueBiker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 16:25   #43
BHPian

Kudos S2 for the great review! Also for finding such lush fields around Jodhpur, Rajasthan for photography!!

I have booked a White Asta Diesel which will most probably be delivered towards the fag end of this month. It will cost about 8.5L OTR including RTO, zero dep insurance and extended warranty. Dealers here in Hisar, Haryana are quoting about 17-18k for extended warranty for 3rd and 4th year.

Any official word from Hyundai on extended warranty? Also what is the alloy wheel size (5.5J or 6J)?

Also response to the new i20 seems to be good; 15k bookings since launch. What remains to be seen is if the momentum sustains over longer term.

Last edited by sidhu_hs : 3rd September 2014 at 16:39.
sidhu_hs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 17:26   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Exterior design and interior design are worked on fairly independently. The window sill line is common for both. It seems that the interior designers here wanted to have that "wrap around" effect from the door-pads to the dash (even though they meet at a square corner, rather than a continuous curve as seen on some other cars).

As a result, they had to sweep up the interior door-pad, whilst the outside window-sill had to follow the exterior lines. Hence the 'mismatch'.

It's not a huge flaw, or even an eye-sore - but it is a mismatch nonetheless, and that's what its been pointed out as.
Nopes, its not a flaw at all is what I am trying to say. This is a design element found on few other cars also (will try getting some pictures..). Even if the dashboard continues into the door for that wrap around effect, it still can be kept pretty well aligned to the window line..
vinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 17:42   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Getz Prime Vs Elite i20 : Comparison on certain aspects
As the owner of a Getz, and in comparison with both a 2012 diesel i20 that my brother owns, and the 1.2 petrol engine that a friend has, here are my responses.

Quote:
Kerb Weight of Getz 1044-1060 kg (varies as per variant) compared to i20's 1018kg in petrol. I still remember the Getz brochure focussing heavily on its steel bar safety beams on doors. Definitely build has suffered in the Elite.
I recall the Getz always being on the heavier side due to the extra structural steel, and don't know if there are any other hatchbacks that have exceeded the Getz on weight. Do bear in mind that weight is not the only criterion for safety, and as long as the Elite is engineered properly, it should offer good safety. So while the i20/Elite are lighter, I wouldn't go so far as to say the build has suffered.

Quote:
Engine power : 1.3L 83ps @ 124nm vs 1.2L 82ps @ 115nm (petrol) Diesel 1.5 L 110ps vs 1.4L 89ps. Getz wins anyday.
In the petrol department, the 1.3L Getz engine is torquey at the low end, but does not rev nicely. That's quite unlike the 1.2L VTVT, which builds up torque nicely and also revs freely. I've been very pleased and impressed with the 1.2L Kappa engine.

In the diesel department, no contest - that 1.5L engine continues to be a bombshell, although the way the torque comes in is exciting/terrifying based on the circumstances. The 1.4L is civilized in the i20, and seems to be even more so in the Elite.
arunphilip is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed