Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2014, 17:48   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBlueBiker View Post
i20 is churning out to be a cashcow, now that Hyundai is charging more premium by excluding features like rear disc brakes, 6 airbags, etc.

Quote:
Also, my Igen i20 crdi came with a single keyfob. Is it still the same story with the Elite i20? Just wish Hyundai provided these features which could justify the price premium paid by customer.
If I understand correctly, what you are asking is whether the Elite i20 comes with 2 smart keys? Yes it does! But the silliest thing I noticed was that the remote access button is available only on the driver's side door handle and not on the front passenger's side (a feature which even the cheaper Grand i10 has)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhu_hs View Post
I have booked a White Asta Diesel which will most probably be delivered towards the fag end of this month.
Congratulations for your new car. The white does make the car appear larger dimensionally and looks stunning.

Quote:
It will cost about 8.5L OTR including RTO, zero dep insurance and extended warranty. Dealers here in Hisar, Haryana are quoting about 17-18k for extended warranty for 3rd and 4th year.
Officially there is no announcement for an extended warranty from Hyundai. It is the dealer that is providing you the extended warranty. Similarly, in Mumbai, we inquired with a few dealers; all of them confirmed that there is no official extended warranty, but their dealership is providing the same for the 3rd year.

Quote:
Also response to the new i20 seems to be good; 15k bookings since launch. What remains to be seen is if the momentum sustains over longer term.
With the 2014 Swift, Honda Jazz and even Tata Bolt lined up, the Elite i20 will face some stiff competition in the months to come.

Last edited by S2!!! : 3rd September 2014 at 17:49.
S2!!! is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 18:04   #47
BHPian

Excellent review S2, I have learned so much in past 1 hour that I didn't learned in 1 week of ownership.

Quote:
Also, my Igen i20 crdi came with a single keyfob. Is it still the same story with the Elite i20?
Asta does come with 2 separate keyfobs.
Bubby is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 18:08   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
They were offering the 1.4 with the AT in the previous generation, so any difference offsets with that could have been covered. After all, it is marketed as a premium hatch, so commanding a slightly-more premium price couldn't have been a problem,

The diesel Asta's price is touch and go with the City?? It's more in line with the Polo Highline/GT TDI, XCent SX (O), Amaze VX MT and the DZire ZDI (to an extent). The Elite i20 Asta diesel costs 7,67,000/- ex-showroom Delhi, while the City diesel range starts from 8,38,000/- for the EMT diesel.
The 1.4 AT never really sold, and a major reason behind that was its price.
Double blow: higher excise duty + extra cost (actual + marketing element) of the AT

I am not convinced that providing the same old 4 speed torque converter will cut it anymore. That will have to provide a 5 speeder, which will obviously add to the cost. And Hyundai does not do AMTs to the best of my knowledge.

The real bugger is the massive Rs 130000 that they are charging extra for the diesel engine. It is spoiling the party. Now if I add another 70k for the AT to it, we are talking about a 2lakh premium! 2L on 6L is 33% of the base price!

Prices being touch and go with the City - compare it with the petrol City (or any petrol sedan of that segment) and the picture becomes quite interesting. A prospective buyer I believe will consider the petrol-diesel trade off very carefully here.

The i20 CRDI, as good a car as it is, cannot match the prestige value of a sedan, that too the City, in the eyes of the aam junta. It is very difficult to counter this argument, especially when it comes from the ladies or the parents. 1.3L is a big amount, and if I am spending that much, I might as well add another 3-4 thousands to my EMI and consider bigger and supposedly more premium options. After all, you don't buy cars every other day....

Diesel is no longer that cheap and the i20 is really not that efficient to seriously skew up the cost calculations for the avg buyer who drives 1000km every month.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 18:11   #49
BHPian

Great Review!

I also took the delivery of the i20 elite petrol, Asta Variant for my better half.

I have been driving it for the past week though and may i add my following observation.

1. Steering feels a tad too light and lifeless. Does not communicate with the driver as well as a Swift or a Polo or even a Brio does. Feels too electric. Like a PS 3 steering wheel.

2. The gear change prompt after you go past 2000 rpm is a put off.

3. The seats are on the firmer side. Also, I'm 6.1 and the left knee does not seem to have enough resting space due to the deep center console.

4. Road noise is almost non existent. Very quite ride. Kudos to the engineers at Hyundai.

5. Excellent straight line poise and good cornering ability (if you can live with the light steering)

Regards,

Rajesh
raj981 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 18:31   #50
BHPian

Brilliant review! Brilliant Car!

This shows how serious the company is for Indian market! No compromise in quality and a world debut with no drama like other US based brands!

This is what you call pro-activeness, even before the customer starts observing pitfalls like drive-ability, gear ratios etc. I always felt the 6th cog is too tall for Indian conditions, never thought they would be so fast in addressing the issue so early.

Talk about Toyota, and the need of 6th cog has been discussed to death but no steps taken on that direction from Toyota.

Way to go Hyundai!
sudeep.pandya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 18:32   #51
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic review, S2!!! It may have been a bit late, but it was well worth the wait. Which auto magazine or blog offers such attention to detail, backed by lovely photographs in its car reviews? None! Rated this thread 5* as usual.

Coming to the car itself, the second-generation i20 has surely grown up and matured. Right from the Fluidic Sculpture 2.0 design philosophy, to the driving dynamics, to the comfort offered by the seats, to the HVAC system. Then there seem to be small, but noticeable improvements in the steering feel, overall refinement and the way the engines have been tuned, especially the CRDi.

The feature list is where things become a mixed bag. Thanks to the attention to detail in your review, I have compiled two lists of features - one where the i-gen i20 betters the Elite i20, and another where the Elite i20 is ahead. I have compared the Asta variants of both models, so the Asta(O) features are not included in the list.

----------------

Advantage outgoing i-gen i20

Additional features (missing on the Elite):

- Rear fog-lamp
- Rear disc brakes (diesel only)
- LED DRLs
- Driver vanity mirror
- Rain sensing wipers
- Heated ORVMs (works together with the rear defogger)
- Date display (DD/MM/YYYY) on the MID
- Rear foot level A/C vents (not particularly useful in tropical weather)

Features with a better execution on the i-gen i20:

- Double barrel headlamps (as opposed to single barrel ones)
- Chrome inner door handles (as opposed to silver finished ones)
- Additional keyless entry button on the front passenger door
- Larger glovebox with compartments for owner's manual etc.
- Rear spoiler with LED cluster for the high mounted stop lamp (as opposed to multiple W5W bulbs)
- Damped, spring-loaded grab handles (as opposed to fixed ones)
- Illuminated power window buttons on all doors (I think so, as opposed to only the driver's door)

-------

Advantage new Elite i20

Additional features (missing on the i-gen):

- Rear A/C vent with twin adjusters
- Body side mouldings
- Phone book & call log access when paired with Bluetooth
- Internal memory (1GB) for the music system
- 2 tweeters on the rear doors
- Additional power socket
- Bottle holders (1-litre) on the front and rear doors
- Dedicated central locking button with inbuilt warning LED
- Covered storage space under the front armrest
- Ticket/card holder on the centre console
- Trip information, steering position reminder & service reminder on MID
- Adjustable settings for auto-unlock, lane change indicator etc. on MID
- Brightness control (rheostat) for the instrument cluster
- Emergency exit using the hatch (not sure if this is present on the i-gen or not)

Features with better execution on the Elite i20:

- Larger 122cc air-con compressor on both the 1.2 Kappa and 1.4 U2 (as opposed to a 90cc one on the Kappa)
- 16" alloys (as opposed to 14 inchers)
- 195 section tyres (as opposed to 185 section ones)
- Automatically folding and unfolding ORVMs (as opposed to electrically retractable by pressing a button)
- Steering adaptive reverse camera display (as opposed to fixed lines)
- Front armrest usable by both driver & front passenger (as opposed to the driver alone)
- Cool blue illumination for the Aux-in & USB ports (as opposed to non-illuminated ones)

----------------

So as we can see, variant to variant, the i-gen i20 did have some extra features as well as better executed ones. The Elite i20 also has its own share of new features which the i-gen did not have, as well as better executed ones.

Hyundai must have taken this approach of "remove some features & add some new ones" in order to keep costs in check. I only hope they introduce an Asta(O) variant with 6 airbags, a rear fog lamp, LED DRLs & auto-locking doors very soon, along with a 1.4 Kappa Automatic or a 1.4 U2 Automatic.

I really appreciate the work done by Hyundai on the ride quality, handling, steering & drivability of the new generation i20. Couple that with sleek & stylish looks, spacious comfortable interiors, large & practical boot, great build quality and fit & finish inside and out, best-in-class refinement from the engines and a class leading feature list, the Elite i20 does more than enough to be classified as the best all-rounder in its class.

Truly, it's got to be a praiseworthy achievement for Hyundai!

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th September 2014 at 13:02. Reason: Removing "Digital speedometer display" from "Missing in Elite" as it is there (refer MID pics). LMK if I'm wrong. Thanks.
RSR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 18:51   #52
BHPian

Excellent review as usual and rated a well deserved 5 star.

Couple of things which I noticed are let downers for an otherwise excellent car:

1. What ????? That tail lamp is not LED !!! Comes as a shocker to me.
2. That antenna is plain and simple ugly. When you have given a better looking stubby antenna in Grand then why not at least give it to Elite i20? Many of the design aspects are "inspired" by BMW. Then why not a shark fin one?
3. What is that on the back of the hatch? That ugly and awkward looking obscenity? Oh wait. Got it. The rear parking camera. Seriously Hyundai designers? You really could not find a better place for it?
4. What's up with the super thin back bumpers and a bulged out H logo on the hatch? The room for error is exceedingly less. Have seen the same with Grand as well.
5. The stalks on both side of the steering wheel has a small button integrated in them. Is it convenient to use that small switch in between to control the wiper speeds etc.? Why not a conventional push up / tap down ones?
6. Buttons galore on the steering wheel. Honking becomes a real pain. Also different buttons are placed so closely, I bet, in order to operate them one needs to take their eyes off the road and that kind of defies the whole purpose. Doesn't it? Grand's alignment is much better. Bigger buttons are really helpful. Honking remains a pain though.
7. Only one side door open sensor? That is lame.
8. Pricing remains almost the same and a lot of features taken away. Not done. That premium-ness is lost and it currently is just a costly hatch.
9. Change of design to tone down the fluidic curves and voila. Another battle begins regarding the look of it.
10. And lastly, the conspicuous absence of the FE meter and distance to empty meter. Absolutely unacceptable.

Overall, i20 has lost a lot of appeal since it's predecessor version. IMO for the mango people, Grand is still a better value for money. (I am not saying this because I own one). Both carry the same spec engine. The only difference is the feature list, which in most of the cases turning out to be just gimmicky and not a must have.
g_saunak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 19:48   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Advantage outgoing i-gen i20

Additional features (missing on the Elite):
Do you know if DTE is available in the outgoing i20? If I was in the market to buy a car, I would strike of i20 Elite because it lacks this very basic and very useful piece of information.
Old 3rd September 2014, 19:58   #54
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Do you know if DTE is available in the outgoing i20? If I was in the market to buy a car, I would strike of i20 Elite because it lacks this very basic and very useful piece of information.
DTE is not available on either the outgoing i-gen i20 or the new Elite i20.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 21:56   #55

Excellent Review!!
Was really looking forward to the Elite I20 and to be honest, I am a bit disappointed. Though the design is futuristic and more European, I believe this is a step back from the old generation I20 from features list perspective. Being a Premium hatchback they should have at least included ABS and Airbags as a standard in all the variants.
Smart_Fellaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 22:15   #56
Senior - BHPian

Read it at one go from start to finish, beautifully crafted review, this. Plus, that blue colour looks brilliant.
Its debatable, but this car has character, inside and out.
Not well executed, though when it comes to missing equipment or steering feel. But, its a good thing that Hyundai has designed a car which will look good with yellow paint and matt black alloys and smoked taillights. The Evo looks like a Kia C'eed, polo evergreen but plain jane and swift too boring, dull and dated (do I see raised eyebrows and nodding heads?)
Having driven the I-Gen and Elite, I found perceptible improvement in ride, steering remains light (its not a Fiesta 1.5), space is massive and comfort is top notch. Braking remained so so, thankfully the reason on spongy pedal feel also highlighted), but removing rear discs on a car costing INR 8.71L for asta...was it justified?
This model is more "Indianised" and loaded as and what the Indian market demands, compared to previous "Euro adapted" model. Can't blame Hyundai, its the government's lame and flawed taxation policies in store.
Luxury hatchback for the family? Yes. Dynamic looking hatchback suited for enthusiasts? No. Cosmetic mod potential? I see yes.
Hope that this model corrects the glaring flaws-high maintenance costs and longevity concerns on CRDi engines.

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-x-5.jpg

This remains my favourite angle. BTW S2, any pics of the red shade?

Last edited by sidindica : 3rd September 2014 at 22:17.
sidindica is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 22:46   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Clean rear with minimal cuts and creases. Note that 'Hyundai' is not mentioned anywhere on the car. Now that's brand confidence!
Quote:
Quote:
i20 is churning out to be a cashcow, now that Hyundai is charging more premium by excluding features like rear disc brakes, 6 airbags, etc.
I think this slide shown during i20's launch gives us a pretty good idea of what Hyundai thinks of itself

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-151238.jpg

I could not independently verify these claims. Closest I have come is this:
http://autos.jdpower.com/content/pre...yout-study.htm
http://india.jdpower.com/en/news/201212211/
http://www.jdpower.com/sites/default...ia%20APEAL.pdf

Interestingly, Maruti is excluded from the slide but is seen eclipsing Hyudai in above studies. Still if someone can hold a candle to Maruti now in India, its Hyundai!

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th September 2014 at 12:58. Reason: Adding missing pic. Please familiarize yourself with the "How to upload pictures" thread in our Announcements section. Thanks.
Old 3rd September 2014, 22:53   #58
BHPian

Re: Other Points

Quote:
The Elite i20 is definitely a step ahead of the 1st-gen car, but the difference between the two isn't as much as the Grand i10 & older i10.
Marvelous review, tastefully explained with pictures, massively detailed, satiates my hunger for specifics. The first thing I did after reading is scrolling right back and rating "5-stars". T-BHP reviews are a class apart.

And very aptly said, the level of improvement in the Grand was greater than Elite, I was expecting a Grand change in the Elite too but Hyundai decided otherwise.

I did get to the showroom the launch day and overheard an interesting conversation between a young couple who came in a corolla, the wife was all gaga over the 'elite' looks and repeatedly said it looks like a BMW, however the husband after maintaining silence throughout, softly countered with a killer line - the polo looks classy, apparently he had recently checked the new polo.
I don't know who won the argument but they may have driven off straight to a take away for evening meals as the wife didn't seem all pleased with that comment though she said she'd want to see the Polo again.

That quite sums up my opinion, I am quite unclear about my reaction regarding the looks, its an amalgamation of several design highlights which separately are design points but together somehow does not gel too well, I find the previous generations better designed and though it did get long in the tooth, aged gracefully.

Thankfully they haven't gone too overboard with cuts and curves like some of the newer launches and that is credit to the German design team, euro touch shows and it looks better in flesh.

For most the design has matured and should please a lot, this car builds up on the i20's strengths which Hyundai patrons will appreciate, somehow I like the premium comfort feeling it offers, there is visible quality everywhere and its pleases you to a great extent when you spend hours in the car.

The diesel will have takers and despite the grouses, this will be my recommendation for ones who want a no nonsense premium quality hatch with not much compromise.

But though minor, I wish the following were addressed:
The rear view camera could be integrated with the logo or number plate rather than separately sticking out, it clearly looks an after thought.
All 4 disc brakes, its a premium hatch, how can they. Though I am pretty sure for most the difference will not be perceptible.
Is auto lock too expensive to be added as a feature.
Also fuel consumption and DTE, seems even Hyundai is not confident about their efficiency.
For a maker that made crdi accessible to the masses, here was an opportunity, going by the recent developments in the market, they should have offered a Turbo petrol 1.2, of course it wouldn't be regarded a hot hatch but would have taken the product competence to a new level and considering the existing 1.3L gap between petrol and diesel there is space to fill while enjoying the tax benefit and must admit, that motor is butter smooth.

However I have faith in Hyundai and I believe within a year based on market feedback they will spin off new variants with added features. At times Hyundai releases almost 10 variants in each model to cover different combinations at wide, varying price points.

Last edited by s_pphilip : 3rd September 2014 at 23:06.
s_pphilip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 07:33   #59
BHPian

I'm on the lookout for a premium hatch and the imminent launch of this one had rally garnered my attention...disappointed now.
Feel the below are sadly missing...
1. Auto locking doors
2. Side and curtain airbags
3. Larger petrol engine capacity
4. ESP
5.Leather seats
Old 4th September 2014, 08:28   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
I don't think this is a design mismatch, this is how it looks even in a Honda City (one car where I have noticed it..), anyone here who knows what is the science behind one such a design?
I guess this is to prevent the reflection of some of the backlit switches in the driver side glass. At least I've noticed in my Rapid, the backlit headlight switch reflects in the driver side glass, that too exactly in the view of the driver side ORVM. Annoying and distracting at times.

Someone can confirm if that's the case.
drivingme.crazy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks