Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2015, 18:44   #601
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Hi Dinesh,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinesh_Malhotra View Post
Conclusion:

It was concluded as being a product defect from the manufacturer (due to lack of reinforcement behind the body line area) and the dealership assured me of taking this up with Hyundai India itself. Anyways, I will get my bonnet done from them, but right now it's confirmed that the bonnet has weak points and they dent on the elite i20 !

I will keep you guys posted.

Please note, the dents are on the top middle portion of the bonnet's body line on either side of the elite i20.
This sounds really sad considering i20 is now a PREMIUM hatchback!!!

I test drove both Grand i10 and elite i20 and felt the body was stronger in case of i20. But mere hand pressure causing dents!!!... I guess sitting on the bonnet for a snap is totally out of the picture.(Will have a difficult time stopping my friends and family)
Old 15th April 2015, 20:30   #602
BHPian

Update on Elite i20 bonnet dent issue:

I received a call from the General Manager (service) of the Sharayu Hyundai (Navi Mumbai) today. He apprised me of the current status of their correspondence with Hyundai.

Situation is such that some guy from Hyundai (central team) would soon visit the dealership to see my car in person and provide his technical inputs on the same for Hyundai to bring this issue to closure. Now, what kind of closure Hyundai wants, is something that we all will see in time.

One more weird thing happened today. I was washing my car and to remove some dry bird poop I applied slight pressure (by god!) on the roof. Guess what! A dent, again.

I will keep you all posted how this goes.

Before selling off my FIGO I had only heard about koreans and japanese manufacturing tin-can like cars. After buying the HYUNDAI elite i20, I am sure they do.

Still the car is good to own. I will might have to live with it for next 5 years anyways. Driving pleasure is almost zero but, passengers love it.

Last edited by Dinesh_Malhotra : 15th April 2015 at 20:34.
Old 15th April 2015, 22:23   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Before selling off my FIGO I had only heard about koreans and japanese manufacturing tin-can like cars. After buying the HYUNDAI elite i20, I am sure they do.
Driving pleasure is almost zero but, passengers love it.
I am planning to exchange my Figo for the Elite /Active i20. 90% single driven.
Will it be as enjoyable as the Figo or should I opt for something else?
Old 15th April 2015, 22:30   #604
BANNED

Quote:
One more weird thing happened today. I was washing my car and to remove some dry bird poop I applied slight pressure (by god!) on the roof. Guess what! A dent, again.
Either you are Ironman in disguise or the car is made out of tin sheet! Hyundai is not known for ultra thin body panels and their cars used to be better off.

Can you post a picture of the dent on the roof and the bonnet?
Old 15th April 2015, 23:20   #605

Hello BHPians, i am thrilled at being accepted as a coveted BHP Member and wish to thank the team for accepting my application.
I presently drive a Fiat Grande Punto Emotion Pack Diesel which is now more than 5 years old . Though i love the car for its robustness its tank like stability am finding the cost of ownership to be very high. It costs me around 25 thousand every time i get my annual service done.
So now thinking of changing the car . Am in a dilemma wthether to go in for the Hyundai Elite 120 Asta Diesel or for a Honda City Automatic.
My current driving is around 600 to 700 kms per month with some trips to Bangalore now and then.
I love the shape and bells and whistles of the i 20 and am sorely tempted to go in for the same,
But at the same time i am 62 years and have never driven a automatic and love the Honda Automatic for its sheer driving pleasure. But at nearly 12 lakhs for the bottom version of the automatic we dont seem to be getting too many bells and whistles and also the waiting period,
Would love advice from experienced BHPians
P,S please excuse me for posting this in this forum it may not be the appropriate forum,
Old 15th April 2015, 23:26   #606
BHPian

My elite i20 got delivered on 21st of last month and till date have driven a measly 800 km in all. The car is very comfortable to drive, which I hope remains so even after 50,000 km.
The elite i20 has all the features that I have desired in a car, of course the tail lights in the night is one of the best things that I like in the car. Surprisingly my wife finds the 16" wheels to be even more attractive.
I feel there is 1 very good feature which some how Hyundai seems to have given a miss. Its a humble lamp inside the glove box. I agree that it might not be that great a feature but trust me on the highway during night time I feel its really necessary. Is there a way to retrofit it? If its absent in the Asta it implies that no other variant has it and Hyundai might not have made any provision either.
Please suggest if some one has done this fitment.
Old 15th April 2015, 23:40   #607
BHPian

Hello,

It seems that the wait for my I20 Elite has finally come to an end.

Got the call from my SA today, he told me that someone else cancelled their car, and it seems, that I am the next in line, so they are offering it to me now.

Car is already in their stockyard. I just need to complete the payment.

Can anyone give me pointers as to whether the 3M deal is worth the expense?

Also, any other suggestions are more than welcome.

Cant wait to get my car home now!
Old 16th April 2015, 00:20   #608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Either you are Ironman in disguise or the car is made out of tin sheet! Hyundai is not known for ultra thin body panels and their cars used to be better off.

Can you post a picture of the dent on the roof and the bonnet?
I have already shared photos in previous posts. Also, when the dealership`s GM in concern has acknowledged it in written form (pictures attached), I doubt if it matters that I am the IRON MAN in disguise or not buddy.

The dents are occurring when slight force is applied on certain spots. Like the bonnet`s upper portion and the roof area above the rear passengers.

I am anyways getting my issue resolved without any fuss. What I want to do by posting it here is to make people aware so that they don't end up blaming themselves for dents they don't even know how they ended up getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
I am happy to have bought an elite i20, seriously! But, if it is fun that you are even remotely seeking from this car, you will be left disappointed.
It`s a good car. Very good car, infact. For the passengers!

regards
Dinesh Malhotra

Last edited by Dinesh_Malhotra : 16th April 2015 at 00:24.
Old 16th April 2015, 01:24   #609
BHPian

Hi Prabhakar,

If it is the sheer pleasure of driving a hot 'looking' hatch (it`s boring to drive) that you are looking for, you must buy an elite i20 with your eyes closed. But, if it is comfort, driving pleasure, ease of driving (automatic), good handling and robust build quality that you are after, please buy anything that you can extend your budget for, but, not the elite i20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabhakarpn View Post
I presently drive a Fiat Grande Punto Emotion Pack Diesel which is now more than 5 years old . Though i love the car for its robustness its tank like stability am finding the cost of ownership to be very high. It costs me around 25 thousand every time i get my annual service done.
So now thinking of changing the car . Am in a dilemma wthether to go in for the Hyundai Elite 120 Asta Diesel or for a Honda City Automatic.,
Old 16th April 2015, 09:53   #610
BHPian

Quote:
I am happy to have bought an elite i20, seriously! But, if it is fun that you are even remotely seeking from this car, you will be left disappointed.

regards
Dinesh Malhotra
You keep giving me heart attacks whenever I log into the forum. Dents, Zero driving pleasure and disappointment of not having fun!!! For gods sake, they said its a PREMIUM hatch back.

However, since this is my first car, I guess I can live with it as I wont have any benchmarks to compare to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
90% single driven with/without co-passengers matters... If you are going to drive it alone most of the time, Polo sounds a better option.
Old 16th April 2015, 10:14   #611

Thank you Dinesh for the good suggestion, your suggestion has helped me to make up my mind to go in for the Honda Automatic and look forward to driving the same.Regards
Old 16th April 2015, 10:32   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHPians, i am thrilled at being accepted as a coveted BHP Member and wish to thank the team for accepting my application.
So now thinking of changing the car . Am in a dilemma wthether to go in for the Hyundai Elite 120 Asta Diesel or for a Honda City Automatic.
My current driving is around 600 to 700 kms per month with some trips to Bangalore now and then.
I love the shape and bells and whistles of the i 20 and am sorely tempted to go in for the same,
But at the same time i am 62 years and have never driven a automatic and love the Honda Automatic for its sheer driving pleasure. But at nearly 12 lakhs for the bottom version of the automatic we dont seem to be getting too many bells and whistles and also the waiting period,
Would love advice from experienced BHPians
P,S please excuse me for posting this in this forum it may not be the appropriate forum,
Quote:
Thank you Dinesh for the good suggestion, your suggestion has helped me to make up my mind to go in for the Honda Automatic and look forward to driving the same.Regards
Hi Parabhakarpn

Do visit http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...r-section.html and post your queries. You will get lot of suggestions there and choose accordingly before making a quick decision. My advances wishes on finding the right car you wish for
Old 16th April 2015, 19:03   #613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANewExperience View Post
90% single driven with/without co-passengers matters... If you are going to drive it alone most of the time, Polo sounds a better option.
90% single driven with no one on tow.
Polo GT tugs at my heart too but the mind says beware of putting all eggs in one basket ( wife drives the Vento ).
Old 16th April 2015, 21:03   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Driving pleasure is almost zero but, passengers love it.
Quote:
But, if it is fun that you are even remotely seeking from this car, you will be left disappointed.
Quote:
If it is the sheer pleasure of driving a hot 'looking' hatch (it`s boring to drive) that you are looking for, you must buy an elite i20 with your eyes closed. But, if it is comfort, driving pleasure, ease of driving (automatic), good handling and robust build quality that you are after, please buy anything that you can extend your budget for, but, not the elite i20.
Pretty strong words.

No doubt it's not as FTD as a Swift or a Polo but I didn't think it's THAT bad.

On a side note, got a message from my SA saying prices being hiked from tomorrow.

Last edited by naru : 16th April 2015 at 21:05.
Old 16th April 2015, 22:44   #615
BHPian

Hi Naru,

It is that bad. Feels like a boat.

No doubt that it catches speed fast but, lack of torque (no rush), negligible agility, high body roll, pathetic steering (too big and no feedback) and bad suspension (dynamics) makes it a very boring car to drive.

PS:
I have driven a Figo (my own), Punto, Polo, Fiesta, and a Swift extensively before and I can vouch for their sorted dynamics. The elite i20 simply fails as a driver's car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru View Post
Pretty strong words.

No doubt it's not as FTD as a Swift or a Polo but I didn't think it's THAT bad.

On a side note, got a message from my SA saying prices being hiked from tomorrow.

Most Viewed