Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2015, 19:02   #766
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

ACI reports that the Elite i20 will receive a touchscreen Head Unit update and will come from July 2015 onwards.

The upcoming Honda Jazz will be launched on 8th July and it's top variants are scheduled to come with a 6" Navigation-based touchscreen Head Unit, and it's possible that Hyundai is updating it's premium bestselling hatchback in recent times to take the fight right back into the Honda camp.

The touchscreen Head Unit might be the one sourced from the upcoming Hyundai Creta SUV.

Quote:
Hyundai will soon offer the hugely popular i20 with a touchscreen infotainment system. The factory-fit system will include satellite navigation in addition to audio and telephone functions.

Interestingly, the introduction of this version of the i20 will coincide with the launch of the new Honda Jazz which is expected to come in around the same price.
ACI

Last edited by RavenAvi : 11th June 2015 at 19:04.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 09:59   #767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

The upcoming Honda Jazz will be launched on 8th July and it's top variants are scheduled to come with a 6" Navigation-based touchscreen Head Unit, and it's possible that Hyundai is updating it's premium bestselling hatchback in recent times to take the fight right back into the Honda camp.
Thank you sharing this RavenAvi.

Honda seem to have really 'JAZZ'ed up the competition even before the official launch of their flagship Hatch !!

Ironically, this shows how competitive and serious the Korean manufacturers really are about Indian market and its customers. Kudos

IMO though Elite looks better than any other hatch (>25Lks) in India, Jazz may take over the mantel from July, only if Honda price it absolutely spot on. Dare I say that it may probably be a reconstruction of the tale that saw Verna being knocked out of the championship with the launch of the City I-Dtec.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 10:17   #768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
Not this problem for sure...pls get this checked..
Regards
Shailesh
Hi Shailesh,

I will be visiting Hyundai today to get clarification on the matter. I will be reporting these issues:

1: Brakes work well 'randomly'. Sometimes they are just too spongy to respond as you'd expect. But, when they work the bite is great

2: The clutch pedal when pressed or released, makes kat-kat-kat sound. It's not that loud but very much audible. Never heard anything like that in my previous car (figo)

3: Front passenger seat is too tight for passengers to pull/push on the railings

Also,
I will be going in for tyre rotation. What do you suggest? Should I bring in the spare tyre into the game? (7,200kms)
Old 12th June 2015, 13:19   #769
BHPian

I wish Hyundai had a petrol engine matching its diesel sibling. I have always ended feeling this whenever I have drove an i20 P. I know the "Tax thing" but still....
1.2 is too small for a premium hatch.
Zinda is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 17:13   #770
BANNED

Quote:
ACI reports that the Elite i20 will receive a touchscreen Head Unit update and will come from July 2015 onwards.

ACI
This has got to be a real sweet addition for the already loaded i20. And maybe this is what necessitated Hyundai to remove the excess and not so necessary gizmos from top of the line variant last month.

Last edited by GTO : 18th June 2015 at 12:24. Reason: Typo
Old 12th June 2015, 19:37   #771
BHPian

Quote:
Can the old unit be replaced with this one? How much would it cost?
Old 13th June 2015, 01:10   #772
BHPian

The Tbhp article says that the Jazz and the elite will be the only ones with a touch screen but doesn't the Bolt also has one?
Doge is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 09:18   #773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
The Tbhp article says that the Jazz and the elite will be the only ones with a touch screen but doesn't the Bolt also has one?
Bolt doesn't belong to the premium hatch category, my friend. Premium hatches comprise of the elite i20, Jazz, Polo etc etc. Whereas, Zest, Swift and Figo belong to a class which is a tad bit lower and hence, aren't classified as premium.

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra

Last edited by MetalBuff : 13th June 2015 at 09:20.
Old 13th June 2015, 13:20   #774
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Well, what can I say?

Public memory seems to be very short indeed!

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-image.jpg

The previous generation i20 offered a touchscreen navigation system as an optional feature at a time when cars from a segment or even two above did not have such a thing. We have a thread on the same:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...avigation.html

Unfortunately for Hyundai, the optional feature did not prove to be popular with buyers and it was discontinued when the facelifted i-gen i20 was launched. Also, being early days for navigation systems in India, it did have some cumbersome steps to keep the maps up-to-date etc. Suffice to say that it was way ahead of its time.

In fact, the initial version of the previous generation i20 had so many features that were way ahead of their time in this segment - 6 airbags, rear disc brakes, sunroof, touchscreen AVN, seatbelt warning lamps for each passenger, seatbelt warning chime for both driver & front passenger, front passenger airbag cut-off switch etc. Sadly, some of these features were removed on the facelifted i-gen i20 and new Elite i20, although the newer versions did gain a few other useful features.

Personally, I wouldn't feel the need to pay extra money for a touchscreen navigation system. The Elite i20's music system with its full Bluetooth functionality & internal memory is sufficient for my needs. On the rare occasion that I find it necessary to use a navigation system, Google Maps on my phone does the needful.

However, there are folks to whom this sounds very useful, so it is a welcome addition. It remains to be seen whether this is included as standard on the Asta, or as an optional factory-fitted feature (like on the first iteration of i20).

Along with the navigation system update, I seriously hope Hyundai equip the Era & Magna variants of Elite i20 and the base variant of i20 Active with a driver airbag. This is very necessary, even more than a touchscreen navigation unit on the top variant.

I recently got a chance to have a look at the Magna variant of the i20. Even for a lower variant, it was so well-loaded, except for airbag(s)/ABS and front fog lamps. The latter can be added as an original accessory, but not the former.

A premium hatchback certainly deserves to have a driver airbag even on the lower/base variants!

Last edited by RSR : 13th June 2015 at 13:49.
RSR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 10:49   #775
BHPian

A question to those who of you have owned and or driven both the previous & current i20s. The dip in power when the air-conditioning is running was a common complaint about the previous gen. i20 owners. Has it been improved/corrected in the Elite i20 petrol?
Old 14th June 2015, 12:33   #776
BHPian

Update:
Based on my complaint for clutch (kat-kat-kat) noise and brakes feeling spongy, Hyundai did the following after diagnosis:

1. Clutch was removed and inside there is a spring which was lubricated as it had none

2. Brakes were bleeded

3. Passenger seat rails were lubricated
Dinesh_Malhotra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 14:14   #777
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjacob View Post
A question to those who of you have owned and or driven both the previous & current i20s. The dip in power when the air-conditioning is running was a common complaint about the previous gen. i20 owners. Has it been improved/corrected in the Elite i20 petrol?
That was fixed on the previous generation's facelift (i-gen). The initial version had the 80PS Kappa 1.2 petrol engine without VTVT.

The 1.2 Kappa got dual VTVT on the facelifted i-gen i20, and this improved its power (to 84PS) and torque. More importantly, the VTVT's inclusion added punch to the lower & mid-range, which resulted in a much more linear power & torque delivery. On the i-gen i20, there is hardly any difference in engine performance with the A/C on.

The i20's facelift also saw improvement to the air-conditioner itself, based on owner feedback. The 1.2 Kappa petrol got a larger A/C condenser to improve heat transfer, while retaining the 90cc compressor. The 1.4 Gamma petrol (Auto variant only) got both the larger condenser and a larger 122cc compressor. The 1.4 U2 CRDi got the larger 122cc compressor, but retained the smaller condenser (possibly because of the need to accommodate the engine's intercooler).

On the Elite i20, there is no difference in the air-conditioner between petrol & diesel variants. Both get the 122cc compressor and the same condenser. Elite i20 1.2 petrol owners may comment on whether it has any effect on engine performance or not.

Last edited by RSR : 14th June 2015 at 14:19.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 18:48   #778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
On the Elite i20, there is no difference in the air-conditioner between petrol & diesel variants. Both get the 122cc compressor and the same condenser. Elite i20 1.2 petrol owners may comment on whether it has any effect on engine performance or not.
The thing is, I have driven the prev.gen i20 and the prev. gen Polo and comparatively the power dip in the i20 is very prominent than the Polo, more so in the bumper to bumper city traffic. The expected dip is there in the Polo as well but its not as severe as the i20.My cousins who own both these cars have mentioned the same thing. With all the raving reviews and feedback coming from the Elite i20 owners, I'm yet to come across anyone mentioning this problem so my guess is it has been rectified in the current gen i20 but would prefer to be corrected by people who have had the experience of driving different cars.

Last edited by tjacob : 14th June 2015 at 18:50.
tjacob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 19:40   #779
BHPian

I own the elite i20 crdi. I can't make out any power drop with the AC on. Heck, I can't even make out when the compressor kicks in.
toiingg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 12:22   #780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
Can the old unit be replaced with this one? How much would it cost?
You don't need to go for the new infotainment system as the dash kit for installation of an infotainment system like AVIC 60BT is available and you can go for a system that would be better than the oem unit that would be provided by hyundai. This allows better customisation.
The dash kit looks like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-uploadfromtaptalk1433140218352.jpg  

sunilsoft is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks