Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2014, 09:34   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Thanks for sharing a wonderful review S2! A very impressive machine and a review to match. Whoever hasn't seen or felt the new i20 in person, please do so. If it looks impressive in the photos and multiple reviews, it will surely bowl you over with quality, NVH and attention to detail. The Alfa inspired rear is stunning when the park is on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
The rear wiper has an intermittent function.
if you switch off the car with the headlamps & fog lamps on, the 'battery saver' feature automatically turns them off.
The power windows have a delay feature, allowing them to be operated for a few seconds after switching the car off.
The MID only switches over to the reverse parking sensor display once you are close to an object.
Approach the i20 with the smart key in your pocket and the ORVMs will automatically fold out.
This is all so cool, especially the last one.

I would have loved to see the following in the car though.
  1. White fonts throughout. The blue fonts on the ACC, looks out of sync and reminds me of the previous one.
  2. Additional airbags as an option and ABS not being standard on the lower variants.
  3. A little more weight for the steering like the Swift
  4. All black interiors, the interior would have looked even more stunning.
  5. No Range or DTE and auto lock for the doors. I think this can fixed through a software update.
  6. No height adjustable seat belts
  7. I still can't get used to that quirky front end.
  8. Rear disc brakes! A friend of mine still has one from the very first batch. And his Magna Diesel has all 4 disc brakes and ABS. Considering that, this is a step back.
  9. The petrol motor should get a turbo. The Kappa 2, even though very very refined do not have any go. It looked really out of place in the old car, and will look more so in this new one.
deetjohn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 11:44   #62
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
The Alfa inspired rear is stunning when the park is on.
Out of the three red coloured lights in the tail lamp cluster, which ones are for parking lamp or brake lamp or both? I mean, are the two inner lights (on the hatch) meant for the brake lamp, and the outer one for the parking lamp or both?

I'm not sure if I've described my question clearly, but I hope you got an idea.

Quote:
This is all so cool, especially the last one.
Yeah! It's as if the car has been endowed with some artificial intelligence to detect when it is going to be called upon, and get itself ready. Thoughtful little features like these can go a long way in enriching the ownership experience.

Quote:
No Range or DTE and auto lock for the doors. I think this can fixed through a software update.
I'm not sure about the range & DTE functions, but the BCM definitely has a provision for the auto-door locking function at a preset speed, that could be enabled with the right tools. I don't quite understand why Hyundai does not enable this by default.

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-image.jpg

Last edited by RSR : 4th September 2014 at 12:01.
RSR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 12:57   #63
Team-BHP Support

Re: Chief Competitors of the Hyundai Elite i20

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
[center]Fiat Punto Evo
What you'll like:

• Stunning design. Easily the most stylish hatchback on our roads today
• Solid build quality
• Fuel efficient diesel
• Mature & superb ride quality
• Outstanding high speed dynamics. A benchmark amongst hatches
• Perfectly calibrated & weighted power steering. Deserves a mention here
• 5 star safety, ABS & airbags (even on the diesel variant)

What you won't:

• Rear bench space. Cosy interiors by big hatch standards. Not an Indica Vista
• Interior fit, finish and quality are strictly average
• Low FE of the petrol
• Lack of outright performance (diesel). No high powered engine (a la Palio 1.6 100 BHP)
• Engine noise at speed (petrol and diesel both)
• Service network not a match of say, Maruti or Hyundai
I think the plus and minus were copied from the previous reviews. IMO the remark on the interiors should be corrected now that the Punto Evo sports far better interiors than before - both in terms of finish (Problem areas like glovebox fitting resolved) and quality (softtouch dashboard).

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...lose-look.html

But on the flip side, I dont think the high speed dynamics, although still brilliant - should be called a benchmark - thanks to the raised GC.
Old 4th September 2014, 13:17   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingme.crazy View Post
I guess this is to prevent the reflection of some of the backlit switches in the driver side glass. At least I've noticed in my Rapid, the backlit headlight switch reflects in the driver side glass, that too exactly in the view of the driver side ORVM. Annoying and distracting at times.
That might be a bonus, but IMO the real reason is that on the outside the window line has to slope down to gel with the design:

Whilst on the inside, it has to rise to meet the level of the dashboard:

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th September 2014 at 13:19.
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 14:06   #65
BHPian

Many people, similar to me, would be in a dilemma between i120 and zest. Is it possible to make a dedicate thread for the same?

This would not only help other members but would also enable us to compare all the features between the two new launches!
Old 4th September 2014, 14:10   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
I'm not sure about the range & DTE functions, but the BCM definitely has a provision for the auto-door locking function at a preset speed, that could be enabled with the right tools. I don't quite understand why Hyundai does not enable this by default.

Attachment 1282654
Errr !!! Ahem !!! I am a complete newbie regarding the BCM part you mentioned here. Can you please explain what software is this and what the screenshot is all about and how you got hold of it?

Just a curious mind here
Old 4th September 2014, 14:21   #67
Senior - BHPian

Excellent reviews, S2. Dare I say it is as good as a GTO review

The car looks absolutely smashing inside out. The tail lamps are stunning and the interiors look and feel premium for the segment.

I understand why Hyundai has skipped some of the fancy features like sunroof, six airbags etc. but the rear disc brakes and the DRL's should have been retained in the top variant to make the car stand out.

Also, some pretty glaring omissions from such a well-loaded car - height adjustable seat belts, FE and DTE (is Hyundai doing it on purpose?),no fabric on the door pads, no rear power socket and the terrible roof antenna (com'on Hyundai). If Hyundai could have added these features, it would have made this the most complete car in this price bracket. But having said that, the car still is a winner and I would choose it any day over the likes of Xcent/Amaze/Dzire etc.

One problem I see with the sales of the Elite I20 taking off -
The car is priced alongside the compact sedans and we all know our fixation with the boot (boot = baadi car = more prestige blah blah).
The petrol engine I feel should have been upgraded or at least better tuned to differentiate itself from the likes of I10.. it also feels underpowered at highway speeds compared to a Swift or a Jazz etc.
The diesel is definitely the segment benchmark but the pricing is pretty steep.
It will be interesting to see the sales number of the new I20.

My guess is that - it will find it tough to cross the 5K mark after a few months and won't repeat the success of the old model. Hope I am proved wrong and this car becomes a big success because it is truly a premium compact built to global standards which deserves the success.

Last edited by adimicra : 4th September 2014 at 14:22.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 14:41   #68
Senior - BHPian

Wow what an amazingly detailed review. All TBHP reviews are awesome but this one has taken details even further. Thanks S2.

Elite i20 is surely a worth update to the existing generation car. Good thing is that Hyundai is not just focusing on the cosmetics but also paying attention to the core issues like turbo lab on diesel and ride and handling and the rear seat angle. When I bought my Figo, the biggest trump was the rear seat over i20 which was of paramount importance for me since 4 ppl in my car is very regular. Other gizmos cannot compensate for a uncomfortable back. I am sure the no of i20s selling with 6 air bags was miniscule that lead to the decision of dropping the variant all together. Not that I support the decision.

Only issue I see still unresolved is a below avg petrol engine. i20s weight is a big limitation there unless Hyundai comes up with a turbo petrol which will increase cost. So even for a buyer like me with limited running, I would go for Diesel over petrol just for the better power and drive ability that it offers.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 14:41   #69
BHPian

Does Hyundai have no confidence in the mileage returned by their own vehicles that they have disabled the FE indicator when one can see that the MID has an option to display the same (saw this in some other post on the forum).
Old 4th September 2014, 15:08   #70
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_saunak View Post
Errr !!! Ahem !!! I am a complete newbie regarding the BCM part you mentioned here. Can you please explain what software is this and what the screenshot is all about and how you got hold of it?
Not an issue, even the most well versed expert had to begin as a rank newbie at some point.

I'm not an expert, but BCM stands for body control module, just like the ECM or engine control module.

I'm not good at explaining certain things very clearly, so I'll borrow from Wikipedia on this one:

Quote:
In automotive electronics, body control module is a generic term for an electronic control unit responsible for monitoring and controlling various electronic accessories in a vehicle's body. Typically in a car the BCM controls the power windows, power mirrors, air conditioning, immobilizer system, central locking etc. The BCM communicates with other on-board computers via the car's vehicle bus, and its main application is controlling load drivers – actuating relays that in turn perform actions in the vehicle such as locking the doors or dimming the salon overhead lamp.
In other words, it is the on-board micro-computer and associated paraphernalia {together called the electronic control unit (ECU)} which is responsible for controlling the functions associated with the car's body.

The engine operations are controlled by a separate ECU, called the ECM or engine control module. Automatic cars may have a separate TCM or transmission control module, and so on.

The screenshot is about the Elite i20 BCM parameters that can be enabled/disabled or modified by the user. I grabbed the screenshot from an online Hyundai service manual for the new i20.

Anyone can change these BCM parameters, as long as they have the right diagnostic tool.

In Hyundai service parlance, I think it is called a "Hi-Scan" device, which their authorised service centres are equipped with. Their diagnostic tool is a Hyundai specific one (I believe) and is used by their service centres to scan for error codes set by the ECM (indicated by a persistently glowing "check engine lamp"), read live data, update the ECU with the latest tweaks et cetera et cetera.

There are also advanced generic diagnostic scan tools, with manufacturer and model specific functions, which should be able to perform this through the car's OBD-II port, such as this one from Bosch:

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-image.jpg

More on OBD-II stuff on this Team-BHP thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...dian-cars.html

I hope the explanation was acceptable enough.

Last edited by RSR : 4th September 2014 at 15:25. Reason: Resizing image
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 15:09   #71
BHPian

Great review S2. Frankly I was very apprehensive about the new i20, having taken delivery of the i-gen i20 (Asta) just 3 months back. Was seriously hoping that I wouldn't regret the choice after a few months when the new model came out. Frankly I don't. The new car really as explained by a few members here is a hit in few areas & a miss in others. I still find the outgoing model better in terms of looks although that's a personal choice.

A few things I would've really liked (missed) in my car compared to this new model -
1) Bottle holders on all the 4 doors.
2) rear a/c vents.
3) The 16" wheels & the new alloys.
4) New dash - looks cool.
5) Er.. Ahem!! The all new derriere - the outgoing model always had a plane jane posterior.

- Kaustav.
DasAuto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 15:23   #72
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chief Competitors of the Hyundai Elite i20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
IMO the remark on the interiors should be corrected now that the Punto Evo sports far better interiors than before - both in terms of finish (Problem areas like glovebox fitting resolved) and quality (softtouch dashboard).
That is still debatable. Fit and feel of the interiors has improved over the years but still there is a lot to be desired when it comes to finishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
But on the flip side, I dont think the high speed dynamics, although still brilliant - should be called a benchmark - thanks to the raised GC.
Punto Evo's ride and handling is arguably the best in the segment. The high speed ride quality can put some bigger sedans to shame. I can only imagine how competent it must have been before Fiat raised it.

Which hatchback would you consider as a benchmark for the segment?
Old 4th September 2014, 15:44   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Not an issue, even the most well versed expert had to begin as a rank newbie at some point.

I hope the explanation was acceptable enough.
Thanks a lot RSR. This is awesome. Now a days not a day goes by without learning a new thing from experts like you. It really means a lot for me and really really a huge thanks to you again for patiently gathering all the information and letting us all know about it.

Looking forward to learn many new things in the days to come.

Actually one more question came to my mind. After your insight I tried to google out more information and found that there are many mini OBDII port scanners available in market which connects via bluetooth to android devices. Those are really helpful in keeping a tab of different technical / statistical aspects of the car and as well as for clearing up false alarms. But the screenshot which you shared here clearly has the ability to enable / disable certain features of the car which were purposefully disabled while coming out of factory but actually the car is capable of. So, is it advisable to tweak them on our own? I see that for Elite i20 one can enable both auto door lock and unlock feature. So, is there any option to enable to FE and Distance to Empty meters as well? Also, do you have any information on such "disabled" features of Grandi10?

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th September 2014 at 16:29. Reason: Merging consecutive posts.
g_saunak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 18:09   #74
BHPian

Hi,

I have booked the Sportz, The Asta model comes with 16 inch alloys, the Sportz with 14, I was wondering, whether it makes sense to upsize to 16? Can someone please help with pros and cons of this.

I understand that tubeless tires work best with alloys, so anyways I will have to replace the steel wheels, so was wondering whether to go for 16 or the same 14.

My apologies if this post does not belong here.

Regards
Shailesh
Old 4th September 2014, 18:57   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
Hi,

I have booked the Sportz, The Asta model comes with 16 inch alloys, the Sportz with 14, I was wondering, whether it makes sense to upsize to 16? Can someone please help with pros and cons of this.

I understand that tubeless tires work best with alloys, so anyways I will have to replace the steel wheels, so was wondering whether to go for 16 or the same 14.

My apologies if this post does not belong here.

Regards
Shailesh
I think it is safe to upsize to 16" - you will get better grip and cornering ability because of the wider contact area and obviously better looks.
It looks like the ride height will also increase (185/70R14 compared to 195/55R16).
On the flip side, the ride might become a bit harsh.
I would suggest take a ride on the Asta and Sportz version and compare the ride quality. If you feel the ride quality on the Asta good, then you can go for the 16" ones.

I don't think Hyundai has changed anything in the suspension for the Asta variant to accommodate the bigger wheels but you can check with the Hyundai folks. Also, check with them if it would have any impact on the warranty.

And tubeless tires work fine with steel rims as well ... so don't think you have to replace the steel rims just for this reason.

Last edited by adimicra : 4th September 2014 at 18:58.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed