Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2015, 10:30   #1306
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpillai View Post
Hello,

Sorry to interrupt the discussion with a different topic. Has anyone noticed/enquired about the brand & type (mineral/semi-synthetic) of engine oil Elite i20 brings when rolled out of factory ? Also, which brand of oil the ASS is going to pour in subsequent services?
My 1.2 Magna is due for second service and I prefer to use Mobil1 (Full synthetic). Will make a call to the service guy, but thought of posting it here first.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.
After knowing about the price of the oil, I am sure that you will change your decision. Hyundai by default uses Servo CRDI E oil SAE 5 W 30 Grade. It takes around 3.3 litres of oil to fill the engine. From the factory itself car is coming with this oil filled. It will cost you around Rs. 750 for the oil alone I guess. But if you opt for Mobil 1, it may set back by around Rs. 3000 for the oil alone

Now, if you ride more than 15000 kilometers in your petrol car a year, you may opt for the FS type as mineral oils may stand good to upto 9000kms only. If you ride around 9000 or less, opt for the mineral oil. More than enough for your car.
vishnurajanme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 11:32   #1307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurajanme View Post
It is not downgraded He just mentioned about the Asta (O)
The new variant with touchscreen does not have this. Thats it.
All older variants have IRVM
Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
Now, if you ride more than 15000 kilometers in your petrol car a year, you may opt for the FS type as mineral oils may stand good to upto 9000kms only. If you ride around 9000 or less, opt for the mineral oil. More than enough for your car.
Helps me too, also have my second servicing coming up.
Old 17th December 2015, 21:24   #1308

Quote:
After knowing about the price of the oil, I am sure that you will change your decision. Hyundai by default uses Servo CRDI E oil SAE 5 W 30 Grade. It takes around 3.3 litres of oil to fill the engine. From the factory itself car is coming with this oil filled. It will cost you around Rs. 750 for the oil alone I guess. But if you opt for Mobil 1, it may set back by around Rs. 3000 for the oil alone
Thanks for this info. Will take care of it while getting the car serviced.

I took the delivery of the car yesterday. The service at Krishna Hyundai was very heartening. The car was delivered within two days of booking. The delivery process was hassle free. Thanks to Shail for the splendid service.

As mentioned earlier there is no dimming feature in the IRVM - Neither auto nor manual. Makk had earlier reported that there is a day side and there is a night side of the IRVM. That is not the case with my vehicle. My IRVM works as had been explained by vishnurajanme.

A team-bhp article has thanked me and Midas for information on IRVM. I would like to show my gratitude for acknowledging over efforts.

And finally a couple of pics of my new machine.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-wp_20151217_008.jpg  

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-wp_20151217_015.jpg  

shootokill is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 23:50   #1309
BHPian

Hi everyone,
We recently purchased an Elite i20 Asta(O) earlier this month.The car has done close to 800 kms ever since.Its been great to drive and you get a sense of quality in all aspects of the car.However i have a few doubts on the car though
1.On our first refill we got an average of 15 kmpl.Is this mileage pretty good?.This would be our first diesel car and hence this question.Also does one have to change his driving style while driving a diesel car?.Though I find this mileage pretty good .I came across mileage figures of 18-20 Kmpl while reading some the ownership reports.Is it because of my driving style or does it improve post first servicing?.

2.The touchscreen gets hung at times while reversing. However the it works fine again after re-starting the car again though.It doesn't happen often but still is it because of a bug in the system or it something that i should be worried about?.

I am really happy with everything about the car though.Its easy to drive ,is pretty stable at speeds,exudes quality all around,feels well built and pretty comfortable too. In short pretty happy with the purchase.

Thanks in advance
Pai
VRPAI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 08:31   #1310
BHPian

I have booked the car a few days back. So should I not expect the auto-dimming mirror? Damn, that would be horrible - I needed that as I hate morons driving on high beam.
Old 18th December 2015, 08:46   #1311

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRPAI View Post
1.On our first refill we got an average of 15 kmpl.Is this mileage pretty good?.This would be our first diesel car and hence this question.Also does one have to change his driving style while driving a diesel car?.Though I find this mileage pretty good .I came across mileage figures of 18-20 Kmpl while reading some the ownership reports.Is it because of my driving style or does it improve post first servicing?.
I think 15 kmpl is a decent average for city rides. And these figures are bound to go up post first service.

Though, some bhpians have reported higher numbers but there are a lot of factors that are needed to be accounted for before drawing any conclusion. For eg not all cities have the same traffic conditions. Even in the same city different areas have different congestion rates. These variables result in different driving compulsions such as frequent use of clutch and driving in lower gear at higher RPMs. Long story short - comparing FE is a tricky business.

As for driving habits, as long as you are not clutch riding, which is also bad for the clutch plate, and you are not driving too aggressively, which, again, you should anyways be avoiding because ideally you should be 'running in' your car, your driving style would be fine.

My petrol i20 is on the run these days and I shall also return with the FE figures in due course.
shootokill is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 08:54   #1312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
I have booked the car a few days back. So should I not expect the auto-dimming mirror? Damn, that would be horrible - I needed that as I hate morons driving on high beam.
If you have booked the Asta(O)variant, you shouldn't be expecting those .However if you are really particular about that feature, all you need is to change your booking to the Asta variant.

Hope this helps,
Pai
Old 18th December 2015, 08:54   #1313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
Because my City had reverse sensors installed the irvm was changed. So, this high beam became a problem for me too. The simple solution I found was to drive with back curtain up at night time which reduces the high beam glare to a large extent. And for maneuvering orvm are sufficient. Try and see if that works for you too.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 12:39   #1314
BHPian

Hello guys,

I've bought my Elite i20 Asta (O) around 15 days back and completed 1200km, mostly in the city with a maximum of 80kmph.

Yesterday, I got a chance to drive the car on Outer Ring Road and while doing so, I've experienced a peculiar behaviour of my car.

Especially in 4th, 5th, 6th gears - between 60-100kmph speeds - around 1500-1800rpm, the accelerator feels almost dead. Even if I press half the way down. I couldn't feel the turbo at all even at 1900~ rpm. Once it crosses 2000rpm mark, the car jumps forward with eagerness as if the turbo woke up suddenly.

This is not the case in 3rd gear though. I can feel the power coming in right from 1300 rpm and the car pulls cleanly.
I've driven many cars and I'm well aware how turbo lag feels like. But, this doesn't feel like that. It is something like - the acceleration pedal feels dead (or) feels as if the fuel supply has been cut off. I hope you understand what I'm talking about.

After some trials, sometimes I felt the car pulling right from 1500rpm in 4,5,6 gears too. But, my happiness didn't last long. I don't understand why it is happening like that, and what might be the problem.

Can the existing i20 owners confirm the same about this? Is it common with all the i20s or it is my car that's acting up? I'm getting serious doubts on my turbo and I'm deeply worried as it is a brand new car.

Last edited by madhav14 : 18th December 2015 at 12:42.
Old 18th December 2015, 16:40   #1315
BHPian

Gentlemen,

Posting my query in the official thread hoping someone can share some insight into this matter. A fellow colleague of mine needs our help in diagnosing a weird sound that comes the moment the clutch pedal is touched and/or depressed.

It's similar to a screech, and is audible outside the car if you're listening for it. From inside the car, it isn't that noticeable. One can hear the sound the moment the clutch pedal is touched, and depressed slightly, and when it is fully depressed. Car in question is a petrol Elite Hyundai i20 Asta, about a year old, done 16k kms. The car has had its regular service at 10K, and is currently due for the 3rd service at 20K kms. No major issues were found during the previous service. While idling, or on the move there is no noise, and the gear shifts are fine, not hard at all.

If my guess is correct, are we looking at a clutch release bearing that's gone kaput? The car was driven through the flooded roads recently with a decent amount of water logging, though the car wasn't a victim of the flooding. The car is maintained by Hyundai as per regular service schedule. Could it be that the water logging caused damage to the release bearing? I did ask my colleague whether she depressed/rode the clutch while driving through water logged streets, and she said she might have :|

If needed, I can post a video here demonstrating the noise. Any pointers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance & cheers!
Old 18th December 2015, 17:27   #1316
BHPian

Quote:
It is not downgraded He just mentioned about the Asta (O)
The new variant with touchscreen does not have this. Thats it.
All older variants have IRVM
Hi do you say that the asta(o) with AVN doesnot have electrochromic IRVM and only a manual IRVM but the asta has it ? Then i think its not worth sacrificing the IRVM for the AVN alone in asta (O) as there is no other difference between the models.

Edit : Sorry got the answer for my query in the next page !

Last edited by drpudhi : 18th December 2015 at 17:32.
Old 18th December 2015, 17:38   #1317
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
Hi do you say that the asta(o) with AVN doesnot have electrochromic IRVM and only a manual IRVM but the asta has it ?
Even my son's i20 Active SX AVN delivered on 27 Nov 2015 has the manual day-night IRVM only. Thank god, the two 12V power outlets have been retained! On the day of booking, we were told that new Active SX variants might lose one of the 2 power outlets!
  (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 19:56   #1318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav14 View Post
Especially in 4th, 5th, 6th gears - between 60-100kmph speeds - around 1500-1800rpm, the accelerator feels almost dead. Even if I press half the way down. I couldn't feel the turbo at all even at 1900~ rpm. Once it crosses 2000rpm mark, the car jumps forward with eagerness as if the turbo woke up suddenly.
Even i am also facing similar situation but only in 5th gear. Sometimes (not always) when i try to accelerate in 5th gear the car feels to be dead and no acceleration at all. When this thing occur the gear shift indicator also didn't show any gear number in MID, like after 3rd gear it will suddenly show 6th gear number, but when this problem is not there the car behaves normal and also pulls clean even in the 5th gear and timely gear shift indicator comes on the MID. Also whenever i wash my car this problem will surely happen but disappears in a day or two.
Last week i discussed this problem with my trusted SA at HASS, he told me that there is switch which is connected to the gear shift system and it sends some on & off signals to the ECM that might be at fault. He said that he will perform a test with OBD scanner and while performing test the switch should give on & off signals, if it remains off or on that it might be faulty. He also told that, previous gen i20 and verna both suffered with this problem. The HASS i visited had ordered a new bluetooth type OBD scanner from Hyundai and will get in 10 days' time and only after that, the test will be performed.

Also in the meantime i got my faulty front suspension bushes replaced (as i had mentioned earlier Hyundai is replacing these bushes) free of cost. The new bushes are of soft rubber and bigger in size as compared to earlier which were made up of hard rubber and short of size. After this replacement the car is now super silent over bad roads and bumps. I am also attaching the pic of new bushes.

I had also raised a complaint about my left front head light as it is showing some ghost and ray fungus like images in the lower most part of the light at night when i switch on the light, While in the daytime i cant see anything inside that might be causing this issue. Pic attached below.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-20151214_105145.jpg  

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-20151214_105137.jpg  

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-20151208_182501.jpg  

Last edited by Dieseldrifter : 18th December 2015 at 20:03.
Dieseldrifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 22:27   #1319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldrifter View Post
I had also raised a complaint about my left front head light as it is showing some ghost and ray fungus like images in the lower most part of the light at night when i switch on the light, While in the daytime i cant see anything inside that might be causing this issue. Pic attached below.

Left headlight on my car had the same pattern. It's a manufacturing defect. Get it changed under warranty. I got it done last month. Mine was broken at the base maybe because of some impact but still i paid only half the cost.

Still I'm not happy with the headlights in low beam. The beam is not straight its at an angle of about 30 degrees.

The cost of the headlamp is around 3800 rs.
Old 18th December 2015, 22:35   #1320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta_la_vista View Post
The AVN unit of my Asto(o) crdi was troubling me for about 10-12 times within a month of buying the car. Gave both the dealership manager and Hyundai Customer care a piece of my mind and they agreed to change the AVN unit under warranty.

The point at which I lost my cool is when I witnessed the AVN unit playing songs from the USB when the car is locked and the smart key is in my pocket.

Also ordered the whole electrical system to me cross-checked for any electrical leaks.

Waiting for the AVN unit to arrive from the factory which is now delayed because of the recent floods at Chennai.
The AVN system in my car used to get hung at times and now the whole system does not start again. I tried switching the car on and off a couple of times but its of no use . The system never switches on. I have no clue on what happened because it was working fine till I switched off the car, and now the damn thing never gets switched on. Is this a common issue with the AVN ?.

Thanks in Advance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks