Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2016, 16:30   #1636
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Hi there!

Do you mind sharing with the folks here which specific oils you used on your i20?

As far as I know, these are the following oils available from Shell:

1. SHELL HELIX ULTRA DIESEL 5W-40
2. SHELL HELIX HX7 DIESEL 10W-40
3. SHELL HELIX HX5 DIESEL CH-4 15W-40

Can you also share the pricing per liter of oil and a bit more detail about the experience while running on fully synthetic/semi synthetic oil?
Hi Sourav, I used "Shell Helix Ultra 550041109 5W-40 API SN Fully Synthetic Car Engine Oil" on my car. As far as my understanding goes for shell engine oils after talking to folks at Shell, Ultra is the only full-synthetic oil and can be used on both gasoline and diesel engines. I have used all of the three.

==============================================
HX-5 || Mineral || Bad, wont recommend, gets used in no time, very rough running.
HX-7 || Semisynthetic || Just okay, not to my liking, rough
Shell Helix Ultra || Full synthetic || Best, nothing like it but comes pricey.
===============================================

HX-7 about okay but feels restraining, go for it if you are looking at economics.
Helix Ultra feels free revving, go if you dont mind the cost involved.

Cost : I paid 3700~ for 5L of Shell Helix Ultra from Amazon (in Feb 2016). I had around 0.8L remaining from a previous refill. When I had previously had bought it off shelf from a Shell store, I paid something like ~Rs7600 for 6L for the same oil.

For the HX-7 I had paid like ~Rs2700 for 6L when bought off the retail shelf of a Shell Bunk.

Buying online makes a lot of sense for now, but it takes time to get delivered so make sure you order in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhasir View Post

Please ensure to have your oil filling done only in Hyundai to avoid any warranty lapse. I was once tricked by Shell guys to have my oil changed from them and hence telling you out of experience. Until your vehicle is covered under warranty, never change oil outside Hyundai
Mudhasir,
According to the booklet, warranty is valid till the time you use the correct specification of the oil. Buying oil from the dealers is expensive, and I haven't seen many service stations stocking full-synthetic oil. I end up giving the correct specification oil to them during service and it works out pretty well with the service guys here at bangalore.

Cheers !
Rahul_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 18:12   #1637
BHPian

Hello fellow mates,
I own a Elite Asta diesel , got to know about the faulty bush problem from this forum . Yesterday went to Advaith Hyundai banerghatta road and replaced to new ones. Since it was a recall from Hyundai, I had asked the service manager whether he can find the default cars by its VIN number. But this was not the case and the service manager took a small test drive before confirming me the issue. On the flip side now I am not sure, whether the problem has gone or its still persists. Otherwise a very happy owner for past one year and enjoying everybit of it. Well so pleased and happy that we are planning to bring another Hyundai car in our family for my dad.

Cheers!
sam_machine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2016, 01:59   #1638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_machine View Post
On the flip side now I am not sure, whether the problem has gone or its still persists.
Cheers!
I drive a Aug 2014 Asta (P), observed no problem with the bush till date (have driven more than 20,000 km in city/highway). I believe if you cant identify a problem, its not a problem
Old 14th May 2016, 12:13   #1639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul_ View Post
Mudhasir,
According to the booklet, warranty is valid till the time you use the correct specification of the oil. Buying oil from the dealers is expensive, and I haven't seen many service stations stocking full-synthetic oil. I end up giving the correct specification oil to them during service and it works out pretty well with the service guys here at bangalore.

Cheers !
Well, I agree with you. But it's not my agreement, it's Hyundai's acceptance that matters.

I was of the same opinion before and used synthetic oil for my I20 after some research. The oil used by Hyundai is not synthetic and during the service they will have to record it in their log that oil has been replaced/topped-up. They cannot make this record if they are not doing neither of it of course. When I told them not to top-up or replace oil as I have done that only couple of months ago, they very politely refused to service my car and explained me the reason behind. They also explained me that using oil that's outside Hyundai's suggested specification can endanger your warranty claims.

Let's say if there is some problem with your engine and if you want to have one part of it replaced under warranty. Hyundai will go back to check service log to see if this problem has been reported before or if the service has been performed correctly. When they notice that oil top-up/replace was not done during service, they will come back with questions and we will effectively have to rely on Hyundai's judgement to see if the repair can be done under warranty.

I would not take such a risk and replace my engine oil with synthetic one when I have recommended option from Hyundai available in plenty.

Official link from Hyundai with recommended oil

PS: I took my car back without second service in Vellore and sent my car for service in Chennai, I had same response.
mudhasir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2016, 01:01   #1640
BHPian

For everyone who has the AVN on their cars.

A new software update has been released by Hyundai and those frustrating niggles on the AVN system might be over. Had the update done on my car a couple of weeks back and the unit performs flawlessly ever since. The screen getting stuck,camera getting stuck have all stopped and the Bluetooth connects way faster as well.
If anyone is facing the issue with their AVN units, try updating the software and I guess the issues may be fixed.

Thanks
VRPAI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2016, 01:59   #1641
BHPian

That's great news. Hope they've improved on the touch as well.

As the 2nd service for the Active is scheduled on Tuesday, will definitely get the AVN updated along with the included map update now available, as per the SMS I received from Hyundai.

Last edited by harsh79 : 16th May 2016 at 02:00.
Old 17th May 2016, 10:12   #1642
BHPian

Team,

Anyone did wheel alignment and balancing outside Hyundai Service Center? My Car completed 9K Kms and the service center claimed that they did rotation, balancing and alignment. But I feel some bumpiness on load after this. Mine is shod with Good Year Assurance, What is the right way to rotate them.

Also, I've read in this forum that doing alignment in outside service center not recommended for Elite i20 which comes with Pull drift Technology enabled Steering.
Please advise.
Old 17th May 2016, 11:00   #1643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Anyone did wheel alignment and balancing outside Hyundai Service Center? My Car completed 9K Kms and the service center claimed that they did rotation, balancing and alignment. But I feel some bumpiness on load after this. Mine is shod with Good Year Assurance, What is the right way to rotate them.
I had balancing and alignment done outside when I claimed warranty for one of the tyres at about 6k kms. I think even though, balancing can be done outside, alignment can't; for reasons I cannot fathom. Inspite of repeated attempts, they couldn't correct the drifting to the side, while the Service Centre did a commendable job. I didn't ask them how or why it was so.

I am also on Goodyear Assurance and bumpiness can be attributed to higher than normal tyre pressure or balancing gone bad due to some weight falling off.
sidhu_hs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 11:06   #1644
BHPian

Thanks a lot Sidhu! I filled N2 only at 33 psi for all 4 tyres. I'll visit to the service center again to check the weight issues.
Old 17th May 2016, 11:15   #1645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Thanks a lot Sidhu! I filled N2 only at 33 psi for all 4 tyres. I'll visit to the service center again to check the weight issues.
Jebs, they recommend 33psi in the rear wheels only on a full load, 31 otherwise.
If you're running your car light most of the times, then you can drop the pressure a bit
udainxs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 11:23   #1646
BHPian

Hi Udainxs,

Thanks for your comments. I've been using 33 psi across right from the day 1. Haven't experience any such issues till the 2nd service (rotation, balancing and alignment done). That's why i'm suspecting the balancing done at the service center. They've billed me for few weights as well as part of 2nd service bill.
Old 17th May 2016, 15:46   #1647
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

Out of the blue received a call from my SA last week. He called in informing me that there was a gift from HMIL that was sent exclusively for me and asked when he could deliver.

Since i was already at work i informed him that i would collect it over the weekend, he insisted that he needed to deliver it today (hope the same enthusiasm was present during the delivery of the car ) . After checking back with my better half at home, updated him that he could go home and deliver it.

He was there within 15 mins and handed over a small cardboard package wrapped in Hyundai gift cover , took a selfie and a signature as proof.

I guessed it must be a diary or a book as soon as i saw it in the evening, but lo and behold after unwrapping it, found it to be a......

4000 mAh Portronics powerbank, YAYYYY!!!!

Small pleasures i would say but felt nice that HMIL knows how to keep their customers happy.
Was wondering if anyone else had the same privilege, or did you manage to get anything better.
Old 22nd May 2016, 12:24   #1648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro3hit View Post
Was wondering if anyone else had the same privilege, or did you manage to get anything better.
I suppose its for everyone; I got the below but not worth mentioning.

A weekend movie for two with a gift - a corporate (plastic) lunch box.
Old 23rd May 2016, 17:09   #1649
BHPian

Couple of question. I am sure these had been discussed in the forum before but i just could not find the specific links.

1. ACC automatically shuts down when on a long drive or if in use for more than 2-3 hours at a stretch. Is that true? Experienced it twice on a recent highway trip.
2. When you exit the car and walk away, the car should lock automatically and/or the RVMs should close. Last Friday while walking my dog at night i found the RVMs were still in the open position. So i checked the car and was astonished to find that I could get inside the car(could not start it of course). I could not remember if i used the smartkey to lock the car or not. But ideally it should have locked itself when the key was not in range.
Old 23rd May 2016, 17:38   #1650

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveekKumar View Post
1. ACC automatically shuts down when on a long drive or if in use for more than 2-3 hours at a stretch. Is that true? Experienced it twice on a recent highway trip.
I have not experienced that in my last 3 long highway trips. The only thing that happens to me always is the indoor mode turns off if i have started the air conditioner in ACC mode. I have to manually select indoor mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveekKumar View Post
2. When you exit the car and walk away, the car should lock automatically and/or the RVMs should close. Last Friday while walking my dog at night i found the RVMs were still in the open position. So i checked the car and was astonished to find that I could get inside the car(could not start it of course). I could not remember if i used the smartkey to lock the car or not. But ideally it should have locked itself when the key was not in range.
I don't think the car would lock automatically by just exiting and walking away from the car. You have to either lock with the key or use the door sensor to lock.

If your car's ORVMs are open when you are far from it, that means it was not locked. I use this rule to check when I park and walk away from my car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks