Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2017, 21:12   #2056
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Took Delivery yesterday of my I20 Asta (O) with 6 airbags. The experience so far has been very satisfying.
Further updates after a few more kms on the ODO. Cheers!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-i20.jpg  

Last edited by vvnagan : 16th January 2017 at 21:13. Reason: Typo
vvnagan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 03:26   #2057
BHPian

After a bit of conversation with sales manager I got the 19 digit VIN. The vehicle is manufactured in January 2016. Immediately I have asked them to stop all RTO related proceedings. Probably I will have to either sit with them and speak to them. As per their words this vehicle was shipped to them in November it seems. Is there a way through which I can have it escalated and get a newer vehicle?

Also he is stating that I can opt for a 2017 vehicle by paying him another 5000. Not sure if he is going to provide a 2017 make vehicle as its been only 17 days since the new year has started and I dont believe that Hyundai is that super fast to manufacture a car and ship it to Bangalore within 17 days.

Last edited by meetbadri : 17th January 2017 at 03:32.
meetbadri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 04:13   #2058
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetbadri View Post
Immediately I have asked them to stop all RTO related proceedings. As per their words this vehicle was shipped to them in November it seems. Is there a way through which I can have it escalated and get a newer vehicle?
The Elite i20 was the 6th-most popular selling vehicle in Dec 2016, so its definitely not a good sign that they've been trying to palm off a year-old car to you, and were resorting to shenanigans to keep you from finding this out during your PDI. There might be valid reasons for this car being on the lot, but the dealer's trickery is definitely not something that builds confidence.

Its good you've been quite adamant and firm through this process, which is what led you to uncovering this.

I will recommend that you ask them to return any paperwork you might have submitted towards registration - such as your ID/address proof, etc. right away. You don't want them submitting that to the RTO by mistake, resulting in an "Oops, too late, the car is already registered to you" situation. That will also convey the impression that you're not happy with their dealings until now and no longer trust them, an impression they have only themselves to blame.

Quote:
Also he is stating that I can opt for a 2017 vehicle by paying him another 5000. Not sure if he is going to provide a 2017 make vehicle as its been only 17 days since the new year has started and I dont believe that Hyundai is that super fast to manufacture a car and ship it to Bangalore within 17 days.
If he can give you such a vehicle, then ask him to provide the VIN. The VIN is made available by the company once a car is allocated to a dealer. It might be the case that the car is still in transit from Chennai, but that's fine.

Also, delve into why he needs an additional 5k in such a case? Did the dealer explicitly quote a lower price than the price list because of a late 2016 model? If so, ask him to provide a late 2016 model (Oct-Dec 2016 manufacture), assuming you're fine with that.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 07:50   #2059
BHPian

Quote:
Is there a way through which I can have it escalated and get a newer vehicle?

Also he is stating that I can opt for a 2017 vehicle by paying him another 5000.
If you have evidence for this, then you can escalate it to Hyundai. Try to find out the reason for having an year old car in stock.

One of my colleagues bought a i20 VTVT in Oct'16 from Blue Hyundai in Mysore road. He did not had to go through such an issue. He chose these guys due to the proximity to his residence. Is your booking for petrol or diesel?

If you are able to get the booking cancelled and amount refunded, then I would suggest to check with other dealers.

Dealing with guys who try to cheat you initially will not give piece of mind when dealing with them again for service in future. Just my view.
vijayvelprakash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 08:41   #2060
BHPian

Quote:
After a bit of conversation with sales manager I got the 19 digit VIN. The vehicle is manufactured in January 2016. Immediately I have asked them to stop all RTO related proceedings. Probably I will have to either sit with them and speak to them. As per their words this vehicle was shipped to them in November it seems. Is there a way through which I can have it escalated and get a newer vehicle?
I feel sad that you had to go through all this. Buying a new car is a joyous occasion and unsavory dealers take all the joy out of it. My suggestion to you would be to drop this dealer and go to another one. Take back all the paperwork and demand a refund.

I just bought a Dec'16 I20 and from my dealings with the dealer (Advaith Hyundai), I got the impression that there are still a few vehicles left.
vvnagan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 10:30   #2061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After a bit of conversation with sales manager I got the 19 digit VIN. The vehicle is manufactured in January 2016. Immediately I have asked them to stop all RTO related proceedings. Probably I will have to either sit with them and speak to them. As per their words this vehicle was shipped to them in November it seems...
You took the correct stand. This reminds me of an incident that happened to my friend back in 2014 Jan. He booked a 2013 manufactured RITZ to avail some discount and was promised a Sept-Oct manufactured car. The sales executive didnt share the VIN with him initially , hence we insisted on a PDI. The moment we decoded the VIN turned out to be a Jan,2013 car. When confronted the sales executive started giving stories that its not the correct way to decode and all. Once the GM was summoned they agreed and stopped the process. Coincidentally seeing the ruckus another family taking delivery came to check what was the noise all about and on checking turned out they too were conned exactly similar way( Promised a Oct SWIFT and were given a Feb/Mar car). This was HSR Maruti showroom in Bangalore.

These are cars with defects/test-drive cars I guess which they try to pass on to unsuspecting customers.

I guess escalating it on their twitter handle and FB page might help?

Last edited by SoumenD : 17th January 2017 at 10:32.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 12:16   #2062
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...After a bit of conversation with sales manager I got the 19 digit VIN. The vehicle is manufactured in January 2016....
Good that you did the check well to find this out.

Quote:
...Also he is stating that I can opt for a 2017 vehicle by paying him another 5000...
What is this 5000/- for?

Quote:
...Not sure if he is going to provide a 2017 make vehicle as its been only 17 days since the new year has started and I dont believe that Hyundai is that super fast to manufacture a car and ship it to Bangalore within 17 days.
Why do you think 17 days is not enough for Hyundai to ship a car from Chennai to Bangalore? Cars from Haryana to central Kerala come in around 10 days.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 13:20   #2063
BHPian

Quote:
Is there a way through which I can have it escalated and get a newer vehicle? .
You should name the dealer. Don't see a reason not to if they did try to swindle you.

yes, a new car can reach Bangalore within 17 days; however it is not a given that it always would.
vinjosep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 13:21   #2064
BHPian

Thank you all for all your inputs and guidance. After a quite big arguements with SA and Sales manager, they have agreed to provide me Dec 2016 manufactured vehicle. I also enquired about 2017 make and found that its just a gimic of dealer to make extra money! As of now I have told them that I would perform a complete PDI before it goes for registration this Saturday. I believe some times being adament on our decisions helps a lot

And finally got out of showroom happily. Just hoping this happiness doesn't end when I go for PDI.
meetbadri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 14:51   #2065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

And finally got out of showroom happily. Just hoping this happiness doesn't end when I go for PDI.
Hey meetbadri, I hope the same too and your new car purchase turns out to be cherish-able.

I am not sure from where you are making the purchase, but I have referred all my friends/family/acquaintances to Advaith Hyundai (Residency Road) as I have a very trusted SA in there.
I hope you have no further hassles with the purchase, else I can surely share his contact # if need be.

P.S - I don't have any tie-ups with Advaith Hyundai or any of there SAs. Just trying to direct one of the BHPians to a trusted source.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 15:13   #2066
BHPian

Quote:
The same thing happened to me.

I booked a blue Elite i20 Asta CRDi on 04th August 2016 and I was told that the delivery would happen before 15th Aug 2016. I was also informed that they had stock of 2 red and 1 white Elite i20 CRDi Asta variant and if I chose any of those, delivery would be expedited. I was told that I need not worry about the price hike as the dealer was expecting a new lot of vehicles before the price hike become effective.

On 6th August I get a call from Ms. Manju, my sales advisor saying that there will be delay in the shipment of next lot and I might have to bear the price hike if I choose to stick with the blue coloured vehicle or else choose a vehicle from the available lot and pay an OTR price of 9.68 Lakhs. So after an hour I went to the showroom to have a look at the vehicles, but by the time I reached I was told that only one red vehicle was available and others were booked. As I was there in the showroom I decided to check the vehicle, I saw the vehicle in the yard and Manju told me that the vehicle was manufactured in July 2016. I was not sure if I had to book that particular vehicle and I asked her for 2 days’ time to confirm. She told me that she would anyway block the vehicle in my name and also expedite the process for getting the new lot of vehicles. After reaching home, I tried to decipher the month of manufacturing using the picture of the VIN in the rear quarter glass to but was not able to do it. When I asked her for the VIN which mentions that month of manufacturing she told me that she would send it across the next day.

On 8th August I told Manju that I would like to take delivery of the red coloured Asta CRDi and she asked me to start processing the loan and make the remaining payment. I wanted to avail the loan from my banker and hence I offered to take care of all the formalities pertaining to the loan. As I was in the office, I asked my brother and father to go to the showroom and make the payment. After making the payment my father wanted to see the vehicle but Manju told him that the vehicle was taken to another yard of theirs and the vehicle would be available on the next day that is the 7th August. When my brother enquired about the VIN she said that she would text us by end of day as she had to attend something important.

On 10th August I was asked my Manju to come to the showroom to collect form 20 and get seal from my banker. Only after seeing the form 20 I realised the vehicle was manufactured in May 2016 and not in July as Manju mentioned earlier. She tried to convince me that it was a July manufactured vehicle and she shared a watsapp image of some excel sheet which mentioned 4th July. I was not convinced and I felt cheated. I immediately called her up and asked her to stop proceeding with delivery as I did not want this particular vehicle. She got frantic and assured me that everything was alright and she gave me her manager’s number and she asked me to visit the showroom at 9:30 AM the next day.

On 11th August I was at the showroom and was made to wait for over an hour for the manager to come. Then the round of discussions began. The manager explained to me that nothing is wrong with the vehicle and tried to tell me that cancelling form 20 is a tedious process and could take 90 days. I was stubborn on getting another vehicle and then they continued convincing me. They told me that if anything goes wrong then Manju had to pay for all these charges and it would be a huge burden for a financially weak girl. After a couple of hours of discussions I finally agreed to take the vehicle and in return the showroom offered me car cover and extended warranty for an additional sum of Rs. 4,500/-. Everything went well and the next day I took delivery of the vehicle.

They managed to somehow ruin the whole experience of buying a new car. Every time I escalated the issue to Hyundai, the dealer called me and apologized. But there has been no change in their attitude and they still take customers for granted. I have stopped dealing with them.
Old 23rd January 2017, 13:19   #2067
Senior - BHPian

Here's a small update and a query I am asking again.

Had bought the i20 Asta VTVT on the 5th. Till now, it has only run about 230 kms.

The issue that is troubling me is a strange burning smell. I smell it the moment I open the door after a drive. I showed the issue to the SA last Saturday when I got the number plates fixed. He called his senior who mentioned it is quite normal for a new car to smell like that due to new parts et all. I bought that gyan.
But I drove around 30-40 kms after that, and the more I smell it, the more I am convinced it is not something related to new car, new parts logic.

Also, I feel the clutch lever vibrating. Does not vibrate in 1st gear, but once in 2nd, when I press it for shifting, I feel a small vibration on the pedal, even in its depressed state. Is this normal for the i20 VTVT?

I get a feeling that the burning smell is related to the clutch.

Need advice before I take the car again to the A.S.S. in a couple of days.

EDIT: Forgot the add a interesting bit. About Hyundai being customer centric et all, I received a call from Hyundai asking about the car buying experience. After answering most of the questions, I mentioned to the lady about this issue, but instead of replying to that, she asked another feedback. When I reminded her about my question on the issue I was facing, she cut the call .

So much for the "Experience Hyundai" customer feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirag08 View Post
Have you got engine lacquering done?I had the same burning smell after I got Engine Lacquering done at 3M after buying the car,the smell stayed for a 2-3 months and went away on its own.

If you haven't gotten it done, then do check with the A.S.S. Never had the clutch vibrating problem.
Haven't got anything done whatsoever on the car. It is bone stock, and except for the seat covers, nothing extra has been fit on to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcan123 View Post
Also, please note if the handbrake is disengaged properly (check for the warning light in the instrument console) and see that it is not jammed.
Strangely, the smell is not originating from the engine bay. I did not detect it when I checked.
I also checked with the front and rear wheels, and for sure it is not originating from the brakes.
It is from somewhere under the car.
Also, it doesn't smell when it is idling. But when it is driven, you can smell it when you stop/park it and get out of the car.

Have fixed an appointment for tomorrow morning with the A.S.S. Lets see what turns up.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 23rd January 2017 at 13:43.
Old 23rd January 2017, 13:34   #2068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Here's a small update and a query I am asking again.

Had bought the i20 Asta VTVT on the 5th. Till now, it has only run about 230 kms.

The issue that is troubling me is a strange burning smell. I smell it the moment I open the door after a drive. I showed the issue to the SA last Saturday when I got the number plates fixed. He called his senior who mentioned it is quite normal for a new car to smell like that due to new parts et all. I bought that gyan.
B

Also, I feel the clutch lever vibrating. Does not vibrate in 1st gear, but once in 2nd, when I press it for shifting, I feel a small vibration on the pedal, even in its depressed state. Is this normal for the i20 VTVT?

Need advice before I take the car again to the A.S.S. in a couple of days.
Have you got engine lacquering done?I had the same burning smell after I got Engine Lacquering done at 3M after buying the car,the smell stayed for a 2-3 months and went away on its own.

If you haven't gotten it done, then do check with the A.S.S. Never had the clutch vibrating problem.
chirag08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 13:39   #2069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
The issue that is troubling me is a strange burning smell. I smell it the moment I open the door after a drive.

I faced the burning smell issue in my 2 wheeler when I bought it and was explained the same logic (new parts) by the svc center. I was skeptical on that but, the problem did get resolved on its own after a few hundred kilometers. Maybe the logic holds good.
While it may be true for a two wheeler, I don't think you should be able to note the burning smell on a car. The smell should have been contained within the bonnet. If it is more and you can smell it as soon as you open the door, then it is better to get a second opinion from another svc center.
Also, please note if the handbrake is disengaged properly (check for the warning light in the instrument console) and see that it is not jammed.
samcan123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 11:57   #2070
Senior - BHPian

I went to the service station. Had the technician test drive the car for a good 2-3 kms.
He confirmed no issues with the clutch, he did not feel the vibrations on the clutch lever.
But he agreed about the smell, but says its due to silencer, and I made him agree that this is not a normal thing on new cars.

So have to give them the car on coming Friday. They will test drive again for 6-8 kms and will also check the under body, especially the silencer.

It is getting very confusing, since the technicians themselves aren't able to pinpoint the source of the smell.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks