Thank you. It is Asta (O) CRDI.
Old 13th April 2018, 22:39   #2492
BHPian

Cool. Even I have a Asta O crdi..
Rajesh K R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2018, 21:50   #2493
BHPian

Dear All,

I've an Asta (O) crdi, which will be completing a year next month. It has clocked 18k KM's. The car has a daily running of about 60 Kms on the electronic city flyover and ORR in Bangalore along with long Highway trips (of about 1100-1200km roundtrip). So the road quality is good. I noticed minor cracks running along in between the threads and few random cracks (maybe due to stones?) on the thread. Is this normal wear and tear for the tyre or should I be worried about it? These are stock Goodyear Assurance triplemax tyres. I've attached the photo in my comment. Kindly advice.

Regards,
Dhananjay Desai
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-screenshot_20180414220110.png  

Last edited by Dhananjay_Desai : 14th April 2018 at 22:03. Reason: Adding image attachment.
Dhananjay_Desai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2018, 06:58   #2494
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Similar thing happened to my tyres also ( I have a 2017 Asta option Crdi which has clocked 31000km). Around 20000 mark these cracks appeared in my tyres and me too drive on good quality roads. I think this is normal and you should not worry about these. My tyres are completely worn out at 31000km and I am going to change tyres in 2 weeks times.
DrANTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2018, 10:45   #2495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrANTO View Post
Similar thing happened to my tyres also ( I have a 2017 Asta option Crdi which has clocked 31000km). Around 20000 mark these cracks appeared in my tyres and me too drive on good quality roads. I think this is normal and you should not worry about these. My tyres are completely worn out at 31000km and I am going to change tyres in 2 weeks times.
Thank you! What I usually knew is such cracks occur when the vehicle is kept under the sun. Mine is always in covered parking. Strange this is. Do let me know the tyres you shortlist and the ones that you choose. I too will look at those when it will be time to change mine. Thanks again.
Old 17th April 2018, 18:08   #2496
BHPian

Dear All

Just sharing an update about my i20 Asta(O) CRDI 2015 model.

My driver had hit a big pothole and front left side tyre side wall have got cut about 1 inch. So need to replace the tyre. But the damage didnt stop there.

The car was pulling on the right side and I thought it was due to alignment. But when I check with Hyundai authorized service center in tuticorin, The front strut have a bent and to be replaced. Once they have replaced they will check whether the problem still persists(pulling to the right).

If the problem continue to be there, they will replace drive shaft. Even after changing it if the problem persists or vibration in steering felt, they will replace Alloy wheel.

I am not sure this how the diagnosis to be done. Anyway as they dont have strut in stock they have placed an order.

Also, I have run about 39000 KM and all the stock tyres(Bridgestone) didnt have even wear out. When I check with couple of tyre shops they say I can run another 10K.

I am thinking whether I can downsize the tyres to 185/65 R15 which the Sportz model has it. I hope that will improve ride comfort as well as mileage.

Experts opinion welcome.

Thank you.
Old 17th April 2018, 18:48   #2497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnagarajs View Post
Dear All

Just sharing an update about my i20 Asta(O) CRDI 2015 model.

My driver had hit a big pothole and front left side tyre side wall have got cut about 1 inch. So need to replace the tyre. But the damage didnt stop there.

The car was pulling on the right side and I thought it was due to alignment. But when I check with Hyundai authorized service center in tuticorin, The front strut have a bent and to be replaced. Once they have replaced they will check whether the problem still persists(pulling to the right).

If the problem continue to be there, they will replace drive shaft. Even after changing it if the problem persists or vibration in steering felt, they will replace Alloy wheel.

I am not sure this how the diagnosis to be done. Anyway as they dont have strut in stock they have placed an order.

Also, I have run about 39000 KM and all the stock tyres(Bridgestone) didnt have even wear out. When I check with couple of tyre shops they say I can run another 10K.

I am thinking whether I can downsize the tyres to 185/65 R15 which the Sportz model has it. I hope that will improve ride comfort as well as mileage.

Experts opinion welcome.

Thank you.
I don't think downsizing the tyres would be a good idea, you will have to replace not only the tyres but also buy new rims for your car which would also mean that you'll have to compromise on the aesthetics of the car. Considering all the hassle and expense I don't think the gains in ride comfort and mileage will be worth it. Rest it is your call.

Regarding the bend in strut, it will certainly be changed but IMO rest of the trial and error should not be done at your expense. You may also consider getting opinion from another Hyundai ASS in your city.
Mr.mitsuvolk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 20:11   #2498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.mitsuvolk View Post
I don't think downsizing the tyres would be a good idea, you will have to replace not only the tyres but also buy new rims for your car which would also mean that you'll have to compromise on the aesthetics of the car. Considering all the hassle and expense I don't think the gains in ride comfort and mileage will be worth it. Rest it is your call.

Regarding the bend in strut, it will certainly be changed but IMO rest of the trial and error should not be done at your expense. You may also consider getting opinion from another Hyundai ASS in your city.
Hi Mr.mitsuvolk,

Thanks for your suggestion.

Unfortunately I dont have another authorized service center nearby and need to travel 50KM away.
I checked with another mechanic who is works for MASS and he suggested the same.

In case If I go for downsizing to 185/65, would that affect the speedometer reading.

Thank you.
Old 17th April 2018, 20:56   #2499
BHPian

Quote:

In case If I go for downsizing to 185/65, would that affect the speedometer reading.
No there won't be any difference in your speedometer reading, you need not worry about it.
Mr.mitsuvolk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 00:07   #2500
BHPian

Quote:
If you are so keen on downsizing, may I suggest 185/70 R14 which the Era, Magna & Sportz variant gets. The 185/65 R15 comes in normal Asta & this size is also not a high profile tire size. I believe you are looking for a high profile tire with more sidewall height.

We did more than 100k km with 185/70 R14 tires in our Punto & not once did I feel that the car was under-tired. Even now I get to regularly drive my cousin's i20 magna which comes with this tire size & this car also behaves nicely with these tires. I am personally a big fan of tire sizes which have a tall sidewall, mainly due to our horrible road conditions.

I am sure you are aware that you would need to change the rims/alloys to whichever tire size you chose to downgrade to. So, if you are not so keen on the aesthetic part, you could buy the 14 inch steel rims along with the wheel caps from the lower i20 models. With steel rims, you won't be looking at a huge bill for future rim replacements.

Last edited by chiranjitp : 18th April 2018 at 00:11.
chiranjitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 18:14   #2501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhananjay_Desai View Post
Dear All,

I've an Asta (O) crdi, which will be completing a year next month. It has clocked 18k KM's. The car has a daily running of about 60 Kms on the electronic city flyover and ORR in Bangalore along with long Highway trips (of about 1100-1200km roundtrip). So the road quality is good. I noticed minor cracks running along in between the threads and few random cracks (maybe due to stones?) on the thread. Is this normal wear and tear for the tyre or should I be worried about it? These are stock Goodyear Assurance triplemax tyres. I've attached the photo in my comment. Kindly advice.

Regards,
Dhananjay Desai
Hi Dhananjay,

I did 40k on Goodyear Assurance. Towards the end they showed similar signs of cracks. They had tread worth or 5k Kms on them but I went ahead with the replacement. Although the cracks look okay will be good to get it checked by a professional esp if you frequent the highways and do decent speeds esp during the current weather (summer).

I went ahead with Michelin P3STs in 205/55/R16 config. I had posted a comparative pictures couple of pages earlier in this thread. The ride quality has come much better definitely as compared to the 195/55 due to better cushioning. The other major difference has been the better and sharper breaking.

Hope this helps !!

- Rahul.
Rahul_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 21:44   #2502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
If you are so keen on downsizing, may I suggest 185/70 R14 which the Era, Magna & Sportz variant gets. The 185/65 R15 comes in normal Asta & this size is also not a high profile tire size. I believe you are looking for a high profile tire with more sidewall height.

We did more than 100k km with 185/70 R14 tires in our Punto & not once did I feel that the car was under-tired. Even now I get to regularly drive my cousin's i20 magna which comes with this tire size & this car also behaves nicely with these tires. I am personally a big fan of tire sizes which have a tall sidewall, mainly due to our horrible road conditions.

I am sure you are aware that you would need to change the rims/alloys to whichever tire size you chose to downgrade to. So, if you are not so keen on the aesthetic part, you could buy the 14 inch steel rims along with the wheel caps from the lower i20 models. With steel rims, you won't be looking at a huge bill for future rim replacements.
Good suggestion. Thank you. Will consider the same.
Hope this size wont affect speedo meter reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul_ View Post
Hi Dhananjay,

I went ahead with Michelin P3STs in 205/55/R16 config. I had posted a comparative pictures couple of pages earlier in this thread. The ride quality has come much better definitely as compared to the 195/55 due to better cushioning. The other major difference has been the better and sharper breaking.

Hope this helps !!

- Rahul.
Did you check the mileage after this upgrade? Any difference is there?
I am in big dilemma whether to upsize or downsize to improve riding comfort.
My I20 only gets 17KMPL in highway ride and dont want it get to further affected.

Thanks.

Last edited by theMAG : 18th April 2018 at 22:30. Reason: Back-back posts merged. Please EDIT moving forward.
Old 19th April 2018, 07:35   #2503
BHPian

My 2016 i20's mid does not have features such as distance to empty, range, average fuel consumption etc., which are in the new 2018's mid.

Since both instrument clusters look exactly the same, would there be an ECU upgrade to bring these new measurements to the old mid?

Has anyone checked with your respective service centers?
motorguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2018, 21:46   #2504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul_ View Post
Hi Dhananjay,

I did 40k on Goodyear Assurance. Towards the end they showed similar signs of cracks. They had tread worth or 5k Kms on them but I went ahead with the replacement. Although the cracks look okay will be good to get it checked by a professional esp if you frequent the highways and do decent speeds esp during the current weather (summer).

Thank you for the advice! The third service is due now so will get that checked during the service. I do frequent the highways but I usually ride somewhere around 90-100 (max). Will surely get it checked.

I will go through your earlier posts about the Michelins and that's something I was looking at: replacing the Goodyears (although I found them to be good) with Michelins when due.

Thanks again for the help!

Regards,
Dhananjay
Old 19th April 2018, 23:55   #2505
BHPian

Quote:
Good suggestion. Thank you. Will consider the same.
Hope this size wont affect speedo meter reading.
I don't think this change will cause any error in speedometer reading, as all the tire sizes that we have discussed are only from different i20 variants. I also don't believe that Hyundai would calibrate the speedo differently for different variants (i.e with different tires sizes). Hence, I believe you can safely downgrade to any of these two tire sizes without worrying about any speedometer error.

Last edited by chiranjitp : 20th April 2018 at 00:03.
chiranjitp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks