Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2018, 12:19   #2626
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_machine View Post
Hi Fellow Bhpians. Recently after a lot of brainstorming finalised and changed my goodyear assurance tyres 195/55/r16 at 37.6k kms to Continental MC 5.
Conti MC 5 is a good choice and when compared to the OE Bridgestone tyres I could see a world of difference in ride quality and noise. IIRC, I think I paid 27k odd for replace 4 tyres along with balancing and alignment check.

A quick update on my i20 1.4 Crdi Asta: Today the AC stopped working again. This is the 3rd time I am facing issue with the AC since I bought the car in 2016 (the odo reading is 36,400 km).

The very first time a stone hit the under-body and damaged the evaporator. The 2nd time was because of faulty thermistor. Now, I have left my vehicle at the dealer to check which components have failed.

Fortunately I had bought extended warranty for 3rd year and these components will be replaced under warranty. Now after this fiasco I think opting for 4th year warranty would be wise.
Old 25th November 2018, 13:14   #2627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchkamalesh View Post
A quick update on my i20 1.4 Crdi Asta: Today the AC stopped working again. This is the 3rd time I am facing issue with the AC since I bought the car in 2016 (the odo reading is 36,400 km).
I had faced issues with the thermistor in my i20 Active CRDI, the service center had identified the issue but as the part was not available readily, I had given a complaint on they Hyundai website citing the delay. Within a day, they asked me to bring the car to the sevice center and they promptly replaced the entire AC unit including the compressor. It has been around 1.5 years since the replacement and I have not faced any issues yet

Last edited by ampere : 25th November 2018 at 14:39. Reason: compacted quoted post
Old 25th November 2018, 16:31   #2628
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Just checking, how easy or difficult it is to install rear power windows in the elite i20?

Im contemplating on buying an elite i20 for my wife, who drives a Brio now. Since we bought a Creta earlier this year, we had no plans to exchange the Brio, but year end discounts and the fact that Brio production is officially ended is giving us some thoughts if we can make a good deal for the Brio and exchange it for a better car.

The outer limit of our budget is 6 lakhs for which a dealer in Bangalore is offering the Elite i20 Era. My main issue is the lack of rear power windows and remote key locking. I think remote key locking can be installed easily, but not sure about rear power windows. Has anyone done this? Would warranty get void if we attempt this?
Old 25th November 2018, 18:08   #2629
BHPian

It is easy to install power windows as an extra market fitment. Can be done in any of the reputed car accesories shop in Bangalore. But a factory fit/ finished car is always better with the longevity and peace of mind. Happy shopping 😊
Old 25th November 2018, 19:37   #2630
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Just checking, how easy or difficult it is to install rear power windows in the elite i20?
I know of a few vehicles including one I owned earlier which did not have power window in the back, interestingly there was little use for rear windows. Chances are you don't need power windows in the back.

You can worry about installing it afterwards if you frequently roll down the rear windows.
Old 25th November 2018, 21:06   #2631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_machine View Post
It is easy to install power windows as an extra market fitment. Can be done in any of the reputed car accesories shop in Bangalore. But a factory fit/ finished car is always better with the longevity and peace of mind. Happy shopping 😊

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I know of a few vehicles including one I owned earlier which did not have power window in the back, interestingly there was little use for rear windows. Chances are you don't need power windows in the back.

You can worry about installing it afterwards if you frequently roll down the rear windows.

Thanks for the inputs. Hyundai dealers are ruling out installing rear power windows at their end and they are even stating that Warranty could be void if I get it done outside.
Im also a little apprehensive about installing after market electronics, especially when you look at certain fire incidents, most of them are blamed on the after market fitments.

Also, Manual roll down windows are so 90's. I wonder why almost all of the manufacturers are resorting to manual rear windows in all the base variants! Its also a safety issue,you could easily forget to roll up the Manual windows in some scenarios.

If it was not for the missing rear power windows I would have easily opted for the Era. HU and other small things can be fixed easily.

Now back to square one, the Elite i20 Magna variant is out of my budget. So have to look at other options.
Old 26th November 2018, 18:25   #2632
BHPian

Quote:
Now, I have left my vehicle at the dealer to check which components have failed.
So the service adviser called me sometime back and tells me that 3 components have failed. Evaporator coil, Control valve and the suction hose. While Evaporator coil and Control valve will be replaced free of charge under warranty, I will have to pay for suction hose and its associated labour charges.

The cost of suction hose is around INR 7700/- and labour charges will be another INR 1000/-. I cant believe that a rubber hose costs that much. I asked if the hose can be repaired and the answer was in negative.

I was browsing through the forum and other websites for related issue and I could see that elite i20 diesel is prone to AC failures. There were a couple of few unlucky customers whose AC conked off as soon as the warranty period expired.

Shouldn't Hyundai issue a recall or something?
Old 26th November 2018, 20:07   #2633
BHPian

Quote:

I was browsing through the forum and other websites for related issue and I could see that elite i20 diesel is prone to AC failures. There were a couple of few unlucky customers whose AC conked off as soon as the warranty period expired.

Shouldn't Hyundai issue a recall or something?
Yes, that's true. I had the same component failure a year back at around 45k mark and 3rd year. It was replaced under warranty.

Also, about I see lot of members complaining for the creaking sound from front suspension. It's due to the rubber bush inside the lower arm being cut. From what I was told it can't be replaced so they changed entire lower arm for me 1.5 years back. Now again the creaking sound resurfaced (its so irritating) Now to get it replaced out of warranty would be lot of $$ . I showed it to the service centre one week before warranty got over. They said they have lubricated it and it should be fine - which it was for exactly 2 weeks.

So many people complaining of the same issue points to manufacturing issue for sure.

+1 - Hyundai should surely do a recall for above two things.
Old 29th November 2018, 09:28   #2634
Senior - BHPian

On the verge of finalising a Elite i20 Magna executive for my wife, this will now replace our current pre owned Brio.

So as part of the freebies, the dealer is offering reverse parking sensors or the rear parcel tray. The reverse parking sensor is of some brand that I have never heard of, red soul or something like that. Im a little wary of using this, thinking I will buy autocops and give it to them for fitting. If that is the case the dealer says that rear parcel tray is the only freebie they can offer.

Also, since the magna does not come with remote locking, I have to pay extra, some 5k for installing this, but here they have the autocops brand.

Any other suggestions or feedback on the above installations?
Old 29th November 2018, 10:03   #2635
BHPian

Quote:
On the verge of finalising a Elite i20 Magna executive for my wife, this will now replace our current pre owned Brio.

So as part of the freebies, the dealer is offering reverse parking sensors or the rear parcel tray. The reverse parking sensor is of some brand that I have never heard of, red soul or something like that. Im a little wary of using this, thinking I will buy autocops and give it to them for fitting. If that is the case the dealer says that rear parcel tray is the only freebie they can offer.

Also, since the magna does not come with remote locking, I have to pay extra, some 5k for installing this, but here they have the autocops brand.

Since you say that the parking sensor is some unknown brand, I assume it (probably later Hyundai might come up saying that the electrical wiring too won't be honored by the warranty - who knows) won't be covered under warranty even if the dealer fits it for you. In that case, you could probably get a branded one fitted outside.

Getting the rear parcel tray as a freebie - well, I don't know if it justifies the worth as a freebie. Not sure about the price of Hyundai's parcel tray though.

As for the remote locking, I got an autocop model installed from the dealer (then TATA motors) for my Punto 7 years ago and it still works fine.
Old 29th November 2018, 10:30   #2636
BHPian

Quote:

I would suggest go for the parking sensors since it would be installed by the dealer and would not void warranty also.

Meanwhile you can look for aftermarket remote locking also.

Its sad that Hyundai has been deleting features from their models. When i purchased my i20 in October 2016, it came with a rear parcel tray and remote locking whereas the dealer gave away the reverse parking sensors as a free accessory.
Old 29th November 2018, 23:20   #2637
BHPian

Hi All,

I want to know if seat cover are suggested on the Asta Option which has 6 airbags. My SA or the Sales guy is not able to give me a correct answer.

Thanks.
Old 30th November 2018, 09:45   #2638
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagadeesh.b View Post
Hi All,

I want to know if seat cover are suggested on the Asta Option which has 6 airbags. My SA or the Sales guy is not able to give me a correct answer.

Thanks.
You have two choices:

1. Source something compatible with side airbags so you don't have to compromise safety for aesthetics. Requires some research as you won't get these from the dealer's spares dept. RECOMMENDED.

2. Use regular covers but disconnect side airbags. NOT RECOMMEMDED.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 10:52   #2639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagadeesh.b View Post
I want to know if seat cover are suggested on the Asta Option which has 6 airbags.
You can look out for seat cover that supports side airbag deployment. Though you'll not get it as an official accessory from Hyundai, there may be some options as an after market fit.
I would recommend you to not put any other seat covers that hinders airbag deployment. You might instead just leave the original seats untouched.
samcan123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2018, 01:01   #2640
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcan123 View Post
You can look out for seat cover that supports side airbag deployment. Though you'll not get it as an official accessory from Hyundai, there may be some options as an after market fit.
I would recommend you to not put any other seat covers that hinders airbag deployment. You might instead just leave the original seats untouched.
Although there are a number of people offering such seat covers which they claim are suitable for airbag deployment, we don't have any authenticity of such claims. I don't think anyone has tested those seat covers. Such claims are generally just for marketing and advertisings the products. So I think it is not safe to install such seat covers.
mrbraindead is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks