Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2019, 13:35   #2671
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

My first paid one was 4571 INR. ( CRDI (O) 2017 Jan model )
I am now planning for second one, odo is ~ 18. 5k
Old 11th February 2019, 01:06   #2672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjubaba View Post
My first paid one was 4571 INR. ( CRDI (O) 2017 Jan model )
I am now planning for second one, odo is ~ 18. 5k
I'm assuming that when the original question about first paid service was asked, it was to ask about the first paid service after the 3 free services are over and not the first service where you pay for the consumables and parts. That means we have to disregard the services done at 1.5k, 10k and 20k kilometres. The actual first paid service is on the 30k mark and this is what the question was regarding I guess.

Last edited by Dhananjay_Desai : 11th February 2019 at 01:08.
Dhananjay_Desai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 10:47   #2673
BHPian

Thank You all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
My first service came upto 6500/- . 10k seems to be a little higher but labour rates are different for different cities.
Is your car out of warranty?
My car will be out of warranty by the time it goes for a service in 10 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Attaching a screenshot. My first service was not 10k but I didn’t go for synthetic. Also this is in Chennai.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhananjay_Desai View Post

The ₹4100 they quote includes periodic maintenance service (₹2210 for BLR), labour charges for wheel balancing and alignment (₹680 & ₹715 respectively), front brake pad cleaning (₹470), rear brake assembly both side (₹726). The taxes on this was ₹864.
So periodic maintenance is just 2210. I guess the wheel balancing and alignment is optional?

They also want to replace the brake fluid and the coolant, with just 19500 on the odometer. Il just go by what the manual recommends
Old 11th February 2019, 14:19   #2674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udainxs View Post
Folks in Bangalore,

Does the first paid service of the Elite i20 CRDI car really cost close to 10k? They're quoting 4100 + tax for the labour itself. Bit much for an oil change, air filter and oil filter change. Besides 420+ for consumables.

For the first time, they're pushing synthetic oil, listing all the advantages!

Any recommendations for a good FNG near HSR, Koramangala?

Thanks!
I think the paid service would cost you so much, depending on what all is required as part of service. Usually 30k service and 60k are the ones with higher maintenance and needs replacement of all fluids.

With synth oil - it would definitely be so much or more as CRDi has ~5.3L of oil.

He can't push you synth oil, however out of my personal experience the engine shines with the synth oil - and revs much better. Be advised - there is no change in drain interval with synth oil - just the drive is much better and obviously its good for the engine. I usually supply synth oil myself at the time of service [of recommended spec mentioned in the user-manual and they happily oblige at service centres in Bangalore.] However choosing to go synth is totally your call. you can buy synth oils from online retailers for cheaper prices.

My 60k service of the CRDi was 15.5k - with no extra work done and oil supplied by me. Cheap maintenance in Hyundai is a myth now IMHO with their new gen products.

FNG should be good once you exhaust your warranty. It would be good to opt for the warranty extension - now they do extend it upto 5 years at extra payment - with the cost of bigger parts going down it makes a lot of sense of getting it.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 12th February 2019 at 01:21. Reason: Minor typo corrected. Thanks for sharing
Rahul_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 16:28   #2675
BHPian

Hello Bhpians.. just wanted to post a small update for i20:

It appears that Hyundai have updated their lineup slightly for 2019. Going forward, i20 Asta will be called i20 Sportz+ and the previous i20 sportz will be sold as Magna+. Asta O remains the topmost variant.
The prices have also been increased slightly.

Source - I went to a Hyundai dealership in Pune to enquire about i20 and I was informed of the same.

Edit:
The Hyundai website has not been updated, which is a little poor by the company

Last edited by pandey.jai : 11th February 2019 at 16:29. Reason: Added text
Old 11th February 2019, 19:18   #2676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul_ View Post
I usually supply synth oil myself at the time of service [of recommended spec mentioned in the user-manual and they happily oblige at service centres in bangalore.] However choosing to go synth is totally your call. you can buy synth oils from online retailers for cheaper prices.

It would be good to opt for the warranty extension - now they do extend it upto 5 years at extra payment - with the cost of bigger parts going down it makes a lot of sense of getting it.
Hi, what oil do you use generally and where do you service your i20 in BLR?
How much is the 5 yr warranty - would you know off the top of your head?
Old 12th February 2019, 02:09   #2677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udainxs View Post
So periodic maintenance is just 2210. I guess the wheel balancing and alignment is optional?

They also want to replace the brake fluid and the coolant, with just 19500 on the odometer. Il just go by what the manual recommends
Yes, it is ₹2210 for BLR. The wheel balancing alignment is to be done at every 10k kms according to the owner's manual but yes it's optional for it to be done at the HASS.

I'm not sure why they want to replace brake fluid and coolant! The coolant replacement is at 120 months or 120000 kms. For me they only did the top up and charged for the quantity of top-up done. There is no need to change these two Otherwise. Check why they want to change it.
Dhananjay_Desai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2019, 22:10   #2678
BHPian

1.5 years and 20000 kilometres with this beauty.

Here’s to many more long drives and memories with my i20.

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-0d67c31db08b4cb8bbdc63a249e21064.jpeg
Old 20th February 2019, 13:07   #2679
BHPian

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Hello BHPians

Half year review of my Elite i20 Asta, Petrol.

I purchased in August 2018 from Advaith Hyundai, Outer Ring Road, Bangalore.
Costed me around Rs. 8,60,000/- including road tax.

The build quality is top notch and the first thing you notice inside is the dashboard. It feels premium. Well worth the money.

My current ODO reads around 4,500 km. I use it for office commute and weekends, so not much for long-distance or highway running.

Petrol engine is extremely refined and smooth.

I'll come to the benefits of the Asta variant:

(i) Android Auto - This is wonderful, once you get used to the map on the screen, there is simply no going back.

The other benefit of plugging in the phone for Android Auto / Apple Car is the benefit of charging. The i20 USB port has very strong charging current. Your phone will get topped up quickly.

(ii) Rear parking camera and sensors - This variant gets camera display on AVN and is extremely convenient.

(iii) Other small conveniences like dead pedal, sliding armrest, tilt+ telescopic steering.

Mileage
---------
Combined mileage is around 10.8 to 11.2 kmpl for petrol which is not very appreciable but considering Bangalore traffic and stops, it is still acceptable.

There is instantaneous display of fuel consumption and you will notice that driving with a heavy foot will take a strong hit on the mileage. I have toned down my driving style after seeing that meter.

I drove with a heavy foot during one cycle - full to empty. I got a mileage of 9.3 kmpl.

All figures are with AC on almost all the time.

Comfort
---------

Seating is extremely comfortable and the presence of addons like dead-pedal and arm rest makes it one notch more comfortable.

Extremely good insulation, NVH levels are upto mark.

Automatic Climate Control is good, however, I think the air-conditioner is a bit underpowered for a max sized sub 4 premium meter car.

The handrest is extendable and comfortable but in city driving, where you need gear changes every few seconds, it feels far away from your arm. A better reach could have been implemented.

There are 2 USB ports. One for connecting to the car and other for charging only. The current is sufficient enough to make separate car chargers redundant.
That said, the USB ports can be a little tough to reach because they are situated under a protruding dash.

Driving
--------
Extremely refined and smooth engine, it's a pleasure to drive

Same case with the gear box - buttery smooth in the forwards gears (see my notes below on the reverse gear)

The steering wheel is very very smooth and light. It's almost like without any effort, you can make the turns.

Transmission is extremely accommodating, you have much room for slow speed in the higher gears (4,5) without stalling the engine.

ABS kicks in nicely and I feel it is upto the mark.

Note: If you don't put on the seat belt and reach a certain speed (which I believe is 20 kmph) there is a continuous loud intermittent beep for like 1-1.5 minutes. This is very irritating especially when you're trying to just move the car here and there. There should have been a setting to turn the beep off, or at least control the volume of the beep.

Sound System
----------------

Powerful and punchy sound system. Tweeters are an add-on

There is some problem with the software, probably. When you pause a song on bluetooth connection, there is a strange kind of echo - probably because of bluetooth lag

The tweeter on the LHS of the car has started to give off the sound of a dying speaker already even though I keep volumes extremely low.

Arkamys sound system feels more like one with preset equalizer settings, and in my opinion, is just holds marketing value.

Integrated 7 inch Audio Video Navigation
----------------------------------------------

This is the most powerful functional feature added to this car. Hyundai provide an SD card loaded with maps and you can drive comfortably getting directions. The built-in GPS and Maps ensure that on long trips, if you don't have network on your mobile phone, you don't get lost.

The software is nowhere near to Google Maps, and also doesn't offer traffic and live updates, but that is not a surprise. Google is Google.

Android Auto:

I use my OnePlus 6 with Android Auto and use Google Maps for navigation. The touchscreen display has all features to search, modify, navigate, etc. -- Fully functional

The music and call menus are equally loaded.

Note: I used to have very frequent disconnections on the phone-car USB connection and required a plug and unplug of the wire.
After a latest firmware update on OP6, the phone restarts completely as soon as it is plugged in to the car. It is very frustrating and the software is usable only after the restart of the phone.

Exterior
---------

--------------- No rear wiper in Asta variant -----------
Come on Hyundai, this is extreme level cost cutting. Even the Grand i10 has a rear wiper on the Asta.

The other thing that I feel under-equipped is the headlamp. In my opinion, it is not up to the mark.

I upgraded the stock lamps to Osram 35W HID kit for approx Rs. 10,000/- and needless to say, the difference is astronomical. It is done without cutting any wires, so don't be worried about the warranty.

Also, using HID does not affect the controls / dash in any way. Some reports have said that HID causes problem in some cars' controls. This is not the case here.

Other Thoughts
-----------------
Hyundai has done some amount of cost cutting. Asta variant comes only with one remote equipped key. The other one is normal - push and twist.

Pushing the lock button causes the car to emit a LOUD horn for 0.5 seconds which is EXTREMELY convenient in locating the car in office and mall basements.

Unlocking on the other hand, causes two such horns.

Some Notes
-------------

I have very frequently noticed that putting the gear in reverse causes the knob to get stuck and the car doesn't go in reverse. You gotta engage the first gear and then reverse gear again, sometimes couple of times before it actually engages the reverse gear.

That being said, the normal forward gears are extremely smooth, so this maybe an isolated issue with my car.

Car feels a little under-powered with all five passengers.

What is awesome
-------------------
Refinement and NVH levels
Dashboard quality
AVN system
Front and Rear seating comfort

What could have been better
--------------------------------
Rear wiper
Headlamp
More powerful Air Conditioner
Better reach of the handrest
Better placement of the USB ports
Both keys will full remote control

My advice: Go for the Asta variant. Asta has better value for money than Sportz with some really awesome features.

Top end Asta (o) is very highly priced and, in my opinion, not value for money.

That's all for now folks.
Thanks
ankurbhageria is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2019, 13:38   #2680
BHPian

Hi guys! Can anybody here tell me whether the AVN music system with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay available separately for the Elite i20 2018 facelift? I bought the Magna Executive CVT and it has a monochrome display music system with only Radio, USB and AUX. I'd like to upgrade it to the one that comes in the Asta model. Any info the price?
Old 3rd March 2019, 18:20   #2681
Senior - BHPian

Any new buyers for the 2019 model? I am looking at this car as my next potential one. Is there anything that is greatly changed compared to 2018 models?
Old 5th March 2019, 11:04   #2682
Senior - BHPian

A problem with USB.

A broken plastic piece of my USB pen drive is stuck inside the USB port of my i20. I'm unable to plug into the port now

Tried using tweezers to tease it out but no success. I'm afraid I might damage my USB port.

Ideas anyone?
Old 11th March 2019, 14:35   #2683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
A problem with USB.
Everyone says that tweezers are the best bet for taking the plastic piece out of the USB port. But the tweezers need to be pointy/narrow at the tip (like in the pic). If still it doesn't come out then I guess replacing the USB port is the only option.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-lxgx8m.jpg  

Dhananjay_Desai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 22:18   #2684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhananjay_Desai View Post
Everyone says that tweezers are the best bet for taking the plastic piece out of the USB portn.
Thank you Dhananjay_Desai for the tip. I used the same tweezers to push it further inside and now I’m able to plugin albeit with a little effort. The piece remains inside but at least the port is usable now.
Old 11th March 2019, 23:25   #2685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakS View Post
Hi guys! Can anybody here tell me whether the AVN music system with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay available separately for the Elite i20 2018 facelift? I bought the Magna Executive CVT and it has a monochrome display music system with only Radio, USB and AUX. I'd like to upgrade it to the one that comes in the Asta model. Any info the price?
Don’t think Hyundai sells the AVN system as an accessory/spare. Also the USB/AUX port is different on the AVN models and wiring is also different. You get the wiring for the USB, but you’ll lose the AUX function. (You can get it to work, but you’ll need to splice factory wires)

I did a similar conversion for my Verna last year.

Most Viewed