Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2016, 09:45   #1546
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti Ciaz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
It is not a hybrid. Hybrid means a mix of at least two hetero technologies. The SHVS just switches off the engine when you stop at a traffic signal.
Even my car is a hybrid then. I turn the engine off on traffic signals too. Why the Ciaz is exempted from odd even in Delhi is a matter of sarcasm to me.
Not true. It can provide motor assist as well, coupled with start stop system and energy regeneration during braking. But at a modest scale compared to other big capacity hybrid systems in the market.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th May 2016 at 09:47.
Old 19th May 2016, 09:56   #1547
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Not true. It can provide motor assist as well, coupled with start stop system and energy regeneration during braking. But at a modest scale compared to other big capacity hybrid systems in the market.
BTW, that video shows an additional Lithium-ion battery which is not there in the Ciaz/Ertiga. Both of them just use a larger lead acid battery in place of Lithium-ion.

How a belt driven starter generator motor can give toque assist is something I am yet to understand. Especially when the engine produces the same torque as the non SHVS model.

Maruti have milked this SHVS technology to the fullest with words like torque assist, brake energy regeneration.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 10:47   #1548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Maruti have milked this SHVS technology to the fullest with words like torque assist, brake energy regeneration.
True that, they have slashed prices of Maruti Ciaz SHVS by INR 69,000 owing to reduced excise duty. Other manufacturers really need to learn a lesson or two from Maruti.

http://indianautosblog.com/2016/05/m...-prices-232281
varunswnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 12:38   #1549
Senior - BHPian

Can people in other states buy car on temp registration in Delhi, drive it to their state and register it there? I read online that as long as the original invoice contains proper address of the registering RTO city, it doesn't matter where the vehicle was bought. Insurance is valid on temp registration (which itself is valid for one month). Do we have any thread for discussing this?
Old 19th May 2016, 12:38   #1550
BHPian

This is not the hybrid which helps to keep our environment clean. This is torque assist IMO. Doesn't government consult subject experts before taking such decisions. There are diesel cars in market which are less polluting than DDIS +SHVS combo.

Tax rates should be calculated on CO2 + NOX + Other_byproducts emission levels irrespective of what technology manufacturer is using
pravint is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 12:47   #1551
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Can people in other states buy car on temp registration in Delhi, drive it to their state and register it there? I read online that as long as the original invoice contains proper address of the registering RTO city, it doesn't matter where the vehicle was bought.
I'm sure that people will pour in more useful insight, but I remember back in 2002, we bought our Zen from another city (but same state), precisely from Jamshedpur/ Tata due to social circle pressure and got it registered at our home city, Ranchi. All arranged by the dealer. This should not be a problem in case of state as well. You will obviously have to pay the road tax as per the state slab you are registering in.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 14:09   #1552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravint View Post
This is not the hybrid which helps to keep our environment clean. This is torque assist IMO. Doesn't government consult subject experts before taking such decisions. There are diesel cars in market which are less polluting than DDIS +SHVS combo.

Tax rates should be calculated on CO2 + NOX + Other_byproducts emission levels irrespective of what technology manufacturer is using
Thank you for bringing to everyones attention. Allowing SHVS Hybrid status is ridiculous ! That too a DDIS SHVS at a time when Diesel cars are being banned!
Its laughable at how these decisions are taken without consulting the experts!
Kudos to the Maruti Marketing team though. They have very smartly branded this a micro hybrid and confused everyone. This IMHO is brilliant !!
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 14:36   #1553
BHPian

Prices only valid for Delhi registration and not purchasing from Delhi dealer. The reduction is due to reduced VAT in state and not any where else. You must have your own address proof of Delhi to get this price.
Old 19th May 2016, 15:42   #1554

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondacity View Post
Prices only valid for Delhi registration and not purchasing from Delhi dealer. The reduction is due to reduced VAT in state and not any where else. You must have your own address proof of Delhi to get this price.
I disagree. VAT is paid at the time of buying the vehicle from the dealer. It has nothing to do with registration.

If I buy that car in Delhi and register it in NOIDA I will be able avail the price cut. Actually I know someone who has just done that.
Old 19th May 2016, 16:19   #1555
Distinguished - BHPian

Just noticed that with this price cut in Delhi, the difference between the petrol and diesel variants is almost negligible. So no real economic sense in buying a Petrol Ciaz over the Diesel in Delhi. More power,/torque Fuel Efficiency, exemption from odd-even stuff with the Diesel at almost the same price as the Petrol. (Petrol price list from Carwale)

Maruti Ciaz : Official Review-ciazdpdifference.jpg

Edit: Assume the OTR differences will be higher.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 19th May 2016 at 16:26.
Old 19th May 2016, 17:05   #1556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalSpeed View Post
I disagree. VAT is paid at the time of buying the vehicle from the dealer. It has nothing to do with registration.

If I buy that car in Delhi and register it in NOIDA I will be able avail the price cut. Actually I know someone who has just done that.
I would be happy to get confirmation of this as I am struggling to get the address proof for the registration purposes. In fact the dealer never said he can offer Noida or Gurgaon registration based on lower ex showroom.
Old 19th May 2016, 17:18   #1557
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Ciaz : Official Review

Guys, the Ciaz diesel is indeed an hybrid. Though it may not be in the leagues of Camry/Prius, it's a step towards the future. This is the first vehicle which gets subsidy under FAMe scheme.

Following are the features of hybrid Ciaz
1.start stop system
2.brake energy recovery
3.torque assist to the engine

Points 1,2 are easy to understand. In case of torque assist, the integrated starter generator takes the battery current and uses it to assist the engine when following conditions are met reducing the stress on the engine.
1.accelerator pressed
2.gear engaged
3.clutch not depressed
4.headlights off
5.adequate battery level

Yes, the battery provided is a 17V one developed by Exide for this specific vehicle. It has battery monitoring built in. Lithium ion battery would make the car very expensive along with a more powerful electric motor.

While I'm not certain of the actual savings in pollution by SHVS system, I think it's a step towards making a full hybrid system.

Last edited by blackwasp : 19th May 2016 at 17:22.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 19:28   #1558
BHPian

Shouldn't the simplest rule to judge how environment friendly a car be its mileage? All things being equal, what I mean is, wouldn't a car that goes 40 KMPL be more environment friendly than one that goes 20 KMPL on the same fuel? The Ciaz costs less and crunches more miles. Plus there are other Maruti benefits.

IMHO Govt. should assign exemptions not based on the technology used but based on the ARAI mileage keeping the emissions within check. Cars that give a certain high mileage irrespective of the tech used, Like 35+ KMPL should get exemptions. The ultimate aim is to burn less fossil fuel.
Old 19th May 2016, 20:34   #1559
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Guys, the Ciaz diesel is indeed an hybrid. Though it may not be in the leagues of Camry/Prius, it's a step towards the future. This is the first vehicle which gets subsidy under FAMe scheme.

Following are the features of hybrid Ciaz
1.start stop system
2.brake energy recovery
3.torque assist to the engine

Points 1,2 are easy to understand. In case of torque assist, the integrated starter generator takes the battery current and uses it to assist the engine when following conditions are met reducing the stress on the engine.
1.accelerator pressed
2.gear engaged
3.clutch not depressed
4.headlights off
5.adequate battery level
Point 1 is fine. Point 2 is not. What does it mean by brake energy recovery? The brakes are exactly the same as regular Ciaz. Brake energy recovery ideally is to harvest the energy wasted when braking and turning that energy into electrical energy.

What Maruti do is charge the batteries when you apply the brakes or when coasting. This reduces the alternator load on the engine when accelerating and helps efficiency. This in marketing lingo is brake energy regeneration.

Then there's torque assist. How a starter generator motor can give torque back to the engine using the belt is beyond me. It can crank the engine but to deliver actual torque I am not sure.

Incase of Honda which had the IMA or integrated motor assist the motor generator was mounted on the flywheel and was actually delivering torque.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 20:41   #1560
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Just noticed that with this price cut in Delhi, the difference between the petrol and diesel variants is almost negligible. So no real economic sense in buying a Petrol Ciaz over the Diesel in Delhi.
They need to introduce the SHVS in the Petrol model as well. This will bring down its price around 90K - 1L (from 20% to 5% tax bracket)!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks