Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2016, 20:44   #1561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Point 1 is fine. Point 2 is not. What does it mean by brake energy recovery? The brakes are exactly the same as regular Ciaz. Brake energy recovery ideally is to harvest the energy wasted when braking and turning that energy into electrical energy.

Then there's torque assist. How a starter generator motor can give torque back to the engine using the belt is beyond me. It can crank the engine but to deliver actual torque I am not sure.

The ISG is a modified alternator/generator. There is a separate starter motor which is used only for first start, and ISG is used for subsequent starts. While I agree that the belt driven ISG is a bit lame, what the torque assist does is aid the engine a bit. Rather that turn the wheels faster, it reduces the effort of the engine.

During braking, the ISG rotates due to momentum of the vehicle and charges the batteries. It is also mentioned in a document I have that ISG recognises the brake press amount and depending on which controls the energy it wants to charge into the battery.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 07:24   #1562

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
They need to introduce the SHVS in the Petrol model as well. This will bring down its price around 90K - 1L (from 20% to 5% tax bracket)!

Part of that tax relief is applicable only in Delhi.
Old 20th May 2016, 09:38   #1563
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti Ciaz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
During braking, the ISG rotates due to momentum of the vehicle and charges the batteries. It is also mentioned in a document I have that ISG recognises the brake press amount and depending on which controls the energy it wants to charge into the battery.
This is how the alternator also works. Only difference is that alternator will charge the batteries even during acceleration. The ISG is programmed to charge only under braking or when coasting. This only happens when the headlights are off like you said.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 12:10   #1564
BHPian

Guys, since the results of GNCAP for few entry level cars came out few days back, I was wondering if Ciaz even underwent the test by any of NCAPs. I know the "Sold in India" version is not tested so far but any test for export/manufactured in foreign location model?
Old 20th May 2016, 12:25   #1565
BHPian

Well, this is simply atrocious. The 'SHVS' term is plain marketing terminology developed by Maruti themselves for demarcating the engine's Idle Start Stop & Smart Alternator tech being provided in these cars. How could they be reaping benefits in Tax structure meant for actual Hybrids by cashing in on a marketing name?

If the Delhi government considers Idle Start Stop to be a Hybrid technology, then even M&M has christened it fairly smartly by calling it 'Micro Hybrid' & Hyundai Creta comes with a Smart Alternator.

Did the government just didn't feel any need to get this validated by even an ICAT, which is right there in NCR?

Since the savings are substantial, I think this needs to be rolled back or this technology needs to be defined in the guidelines for the vehicle to come under tax benefit consideration, so that it is a fair play for everyone.

Last edited by forester : 20th May 2016 at 12:26.
forester is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 16:28   #1566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Guys, since the results of GNCAP for few entry level cars came out few days back, I was wondering if Ciaz even underwent the test by any of NCAPs. I know the "Sold in India" version is not tested so far but any test for export/manufactured in foreign location model?
I don't think they have tested CIAZ and after using the car for more than a month now, I don't think the "lightweight high tensile steel" would pass the test

Last edited by Sri Vathsa : 24th May 2016 at 16:29.
Old 25th May 2016, 02:27   #1567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sri Vathsa View Post
I don't think they have tested CIAZ and after using the car for more than a month now, I don't think the "lightweight high tensile steel" would pass the test
Why would you say that? Did you try any crash test by yourself?

If it's just a gut feeling, then it's not worth mentioning. We have to wait for crash test results. We had a long never ending discussion in Baleno thread with similar speculations just based on intuitions and assumptions.

For example, Scropio seems rugged and strong. But it failed miserably in crash test. There are many cars which may look like light but perform very well in crash tests.
Old 25th May 2016, 03:24   #1568
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
There are many cars which may look like light but perform very well in crash tests.
+1.

Etios being the biggest example. I believe it is lighter and also 'feels' lighter than the Ciaz, but scored a very respectable four stars in the crash tests.

We can't really predict the results unless the actual tests are conducted by some independent agency.
Old 26th May 2016, 22:24   #1569
BHPian

What is the minimum clutch-pedal to floor distance in Ciaz? In my car, I found it to be very less, around 1inch. Clutch pedal almost touches 3M noodle mat when fully depressed. Car manual specifies this distance for break pedal as 68mm, but no mention of clutch pedal. I'm wondering whether this is abnormal. Probably this is causing less smooth gear shift in my car.

Last edited by Midas : 26th May 2016 at 22:25.
Old 26th May 2016, 23:33   #1570
BHPian

Does anyone have an experience to share of their Ciaz automatic? I see a lot of ads of the AT these days but yet to spot one on the roads.
Old 27th May 2016, 07:53   #1571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
What is the minimum clutch-pedal to floor distance in Ciaz? In my car, I found it to be very less, around 1inch. Clutch pedal almost touches 3M noodle mat when fully depressed. Car manual specifies this distance for break pedal as 68mm, but no mention of clutch pedal. I'm wondering whether this is abnormal. Probably this is causing less smooth gear shift in my car.
The clutch pedal should always be at a position higher than that of the brake pedal. ABC is the sequence, A pedal at the lowest position (amongst the three), then brake pedal is slightly higher than that & clutch pedal higher up that the brake pedal.

If Car manual specifies this distance for break pedal as 68mm, then clutch pedal should be 70+mm. You mentioned that the Clutch pedal almost touches 3M noodle mat when fully depressed, this is not a good sign/design, and that is the only reason why your gear shift is not smooth. If your mat position can be changed then pull it away from the clutch pedal towards the seat (I do the same for my 3M Nomad mats). Other option is to cut the mat portion around the clutch pedal so that it does not interfere with the clutch pedal movement. I am sure once your clutch pedal operates freely, right upto the bottom of the travel your gear shifts will become ultra smooth.
Old 27th May 2016, 08:13   #1572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Does anyone have an experience to share of their Ciaz automatic? I see a lot of ads of the AT these days but yet to spot one on the roads.
Pardon my ignorance, but is there an Automatic badge on the outside to distinguish the AT from the other variants?
Old 28th May 2016, 16:38   #1573
BHPian

Hi All, I just got my membership approved . This incident would make everyone believe in destiny. I had tried 3-4 times before but didnt get approved and tommorow I am going for PDI of my new car Ciaz VDI+ and today I got approved. I have been following this forum since December last year. Any suggestions except for Team BHP PDI list , to keep in mind for tommorow. Also I am keeping the stock tyres(185/65 R15) but will opt for alloys from MGA. My dealer says he doesnt have alloys and he also doesnt know when will they arrive so I am planning to get them from some other MGA dealer.
Old 29th May 2016, 12:08   #1574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
The clutch pedal should always be at a position higher than that of the brake pedal. ABC is the sequence, A pedal at the lowest position (amongst the three), then brake pedal is slightly higher than that & clutch pedal higher up that the brake pedal.

If Car manual specifies this distance for break pedal as 68mm, then clutch pedal should be 70+mm.
You scared me a lot with this comment. So I checked this in my Alto and in my friend's Jazz. Apparently it is similar to that of my Ciaz, with less than 1inch clearance. Is the ABC sequence mentioned by you about fully depressed position or normal position.

Anyway, I also feel that this is bit abnormal and will definitely get it checked during my 2nd service next month. When you get time, please check ABC depressed position in your car and let me know. Thanks in advance.
Old 29th May 2016, 12:51   #1575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post

I've driven automatic Ciaz extensively, which includes a couple of highway runs of 35kms.

If you've tried the AMT, then you'll be glad to know that the 4 speed gearbox is definitely better of the two. Also you get nice engine braking in the L mode, especially coming down slopes. In general, the gearbox likes relaxed driving and unhurried style of driving. This does not mean that it is slow, it gets to highway speeds decently fast. Reverse is more easy to control especially if your parking is on a slope, or you have to reverse out on a slope. I have lot of problems reversing in AMT WagonR and Celerios - especially if there is an incline.

The Ciaz Auto is a boon to drive in stop and go traffic. Also, there is no distinguishing badge/ change on outside to identify auto/ MT Ciaz.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks