Ciaz:

City
Gurudatta Nayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 23:24   #1772
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Ciaz : Official Review

This is an off-topic post.

https://www.rushlane.com/tata-nano-b...-12204882.html

Guys, please be watchful of the delicate rear. This sounds unusual as in most cases the vehicle that hits has a greater damage than a vehicle that takes a hit.
Old 2nd September 2016, 23:46   #1773
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
That looks bad. Maruti should consider using thicker sheet metal in their future products. Every accident involving a Maruti says a lot about the flimsy build of their cars. Imagine if it was a Linea/Vento, the damage would have been minimal.

But hey, you can't have segment topping fuel efficiency and tank like build quality in the same product! Maruti and Honda love their FE figures to shine on their advertisements, sadly, Ford has started to jump sides. :(

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 2nd September 2016 at 23:49.
Old 3rd September 2016, 00:02   #1774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
That looks bad. Maruti should consider using thicker sheet metal in their future products. Every accident involving a Maruti says a lot about the flimsy build of their cars. Imagine if it was a Linea/Vento, the damage would have been minimal
Folks, the japs have a different way of ensuring that passengers are safe as compared to the Germans,europeans. The japs have the famous crumple zones which do 'crumple' like seen in the pic but absorb all the impact. The Germans prefer to build tanks. Doesn't mean that they are more safe. It's the passenger who matters and the latter might be dangerous in certain scenarios.

:what:That being said, surprising that Nano could do so much damage.

Last edited by Shashankjk : 3rd September 2016 at 00:03.
Old 3rd September 2016, 00:11   #1775
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashankjk View Post
Folks, the japs have a different way of ensuring that passengers are safe as compared to the Germans,europeans. The japs have the famous crumple zones which do 'crumple' like seen in the pic but absorb all the impact. .

But crumple zones on the boot? I dont think so buddy.

But yes, I have seen a badly mangled honda city but with an intact passenger compartment. Ciaz scored 4 stars in ASEAN crash test too. I am skeptical whether Indonesian ciaz and ours are structurally identical.
Old 3rd September 2016, 00:22   #1776
BHPian

Quote:
But crumple zones on the boot? I dont think so buddy.
You have a point there. But why not? Boot itself can act as a crumple zone. I was trying to find pics of location of crumple zones but didn't so can't say for sure.

Quote:
yes, I have seen a badly mangled honda city but with an intact passenger compartment. Ciaz scored 4 stars in ASEAN crash test too. I am skeptical whether Indonesian ciaz and ours are structurally identical.
Agree. City scored a 5 star. Top ever for a car but again it was a Malay model or something. Looks like our sheet metals are definitely lighter. But I am not sure if they would effect passenger saftey considering that the premise of saftey in Japanese cars is crumple zones and then the internal body structure ACE structure in case of Honda and TECT in case of Ciaz.

Last edited by Shashankjk : 3rd September 2016 at 00:25.
Old 3rd September 2016, 01:13   #1777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Guys, please be watchful of the delicate rear. This sounds unusual as in most cases the vehicle that hits has a greater damage than a vehicle that takes a hit.
It is more like the larger vs smaller vehicle and momentum that comes into equation rather than who hits whom.

If an auto hits a truck or if the truck hits the auto, the auto will become a mangled mess.

http://physics.stackexchange.com/que...th-large-truck
Old 3rd September 2016, 10:19   #1778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Boot itself can act as a crumple zone. I was trying to find pics of location of crumple zones but didn't so can't say for sure.
The crumple zones ideally should be the engine bay and the boot in order to keep the A,B and C pillars (basically the passenger cabin)intact. But, the rear bumper should do a better job to save the boot, else you would see lot of dents on the boot, given our traffic conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
It is more like the larger vs smaller vehicle and momentum that comes into equation rather than who hits whom.
Correct, Nano is lighter than Ciaz. Isn't it? It appears to be a rare case where the dynamics of the accident overturned theory.
Old 3rd September 2016, 10:22   #1779
BHPian

Quote:
The japs have the famous crumple zones which do 'crumple' like seen in the pic but absorb all the impact.
Don't most of the cars come with a very light & thin "bumper covers" nowadays? Actual strong metal bumpers might be behind these. These would flex easily even by applying pressure with fingers. Advantage is that, it will regain shape after small impacts, whereas will get severely damaged in heavier impacts as shown in these photos.
Compare this this our old ambassador, Jeep which had metal bumpers or even the first gen alto which has much thicker fiber/plastic bumpers. On moderate impacts, these retain small dents, which I have seen in my alto. But, it regained shape in very small impact in my Ciaz.
Old 3rd September 2016, 11:41   #1780
BHPian

Quote:
Folks, the japs have a different way of ensuring that passengers are safe as compared to the Germans,europeans. The japs have the famous crumple zones which do 'crumple' like seen in the pic but absorb all the impact. The Germans prefer to build tanks. Doesn't mean that they are more safe. It's the passenger who matters and the latter might be dangerous in certain scenarios.

Crumple zones have nothing to do with Jap cars. In fact, it was proposed by a Merc engineer in Austria.

From wikipedia:
Quote:
The crumple zone concept was invented and patented by the Austrian Mercedes-Benz engineer Béla Barényi originally in 1937 before he worked for Mercedes-Benz and in a more developed form in 1952.[13] The 1953 Mercedes-Benz "Ponton"[14] was a partial implementation of his ideas by having a strong deep platform to form a partial safety cell - patented in 1941.[13] The Mercedes-Benz patent number 854157, granted in 1952, describes the decisive feature of passive safety.
And crumple zones will not crumple under minor impacts - it is designed to absorb energy under high-speed impact. And yes, crumple zones are present at the rear also.

In the case above, it is not that the crumple zone at the rear is activated, it is just thinner sheet metal being dented. It is a choice that Jap manufacturers make to keep weight down, while the Germans believe thicker sheet metal gives a better build quality perception, which endures for a longer time.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with safety of the car in general.
wantarangerover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2016, 11:59   #1781
Senior - BHPian

I was just scrolling through the posts (sorry can't quote) and the like one user mentioned, the answer is the bumper. I don't really know whether there's a rule stating minimum horizontal length between the edge of the bumper and any metal part. The official review mentions that the length of the bumper is less and most rear-ends will result in the boot lit taking the brunt of the damage.

There are purpose built no rear crumple zones in sedans AFAIK, the length of the boot itself should be enough to take some impact. Hatchbacks have strengthened rear structure to prevent deformation of the passenger cabin.
Old 4th September 2016, 17:07   #1782
BHPian

Quote:

This is called one-sided reporting dude. Ciaz bumper dislodged, plastic tail lamp assembly dislocated and boot lid bent. IMO All these are superficial damages. It's expected because most car has no support in that area. Whereas nano contributed to the impact from its driver side A pillar which is supposedly strong in every car. Still damage to nano is not shown.
Note: I am not related to Ciaz or Suzuki India. I don't have any interest in either products.
Old 4th September 2016, 17:25   #1783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
This is called one-sided reporting dude. Ciaz bumper dislodged, plastic tail lamp assembly dislocated and boot lid bent. IMO All these are superficial damages. It's expected because most car has no support in that area. Whereas nano contributed to the impact from its driver side A pillar which is supposedly strong in every car. Still damage to nano is not shown.
Note: I am not related to Ciaz or Suzuki India. I don't have any interest in either products.
I echo you OM, but Ciaz indeed is a very light vehicle, but little strength. A vehicle can be light in weight, yet strong, but that is certainly not the case with CIAZ. It is indeed feather light, when compared to Sx4.
Old 5th September 2016, 11:05   #1784
BHPian

Having a new problem with the Ciaz the power steering is making noise while turning the wheel on stand still. Does anyone else notice the noise or is it dead silent. It is a bit annoying. Don't remember hearing that noise in my previous car. But I checked another which seemed to have that sound but was minimal.

Took it for a check at ABT, wasted half of my Saturday. The company guys worked on the car for 5 hours and came up with nothing, the noise is persistent and irritating since I know of it.

Is it any known problem? How can I resolve it?
Old 5th September 2016, 12:30   #1785
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post

Is it any known problem? How can I resolve it?
It seems to be an unique problem with your car. Mine is silent. Btw how many km have you completed. Mine has run just 23.5k km. May be it may crop up later I am not sure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks