Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2014, 10:24   #286
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Ciaz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by malq View Post
some of them are of the opinion that post-Diwali, which is only 12 days away and is in any case causing concern to other retailers of other products, the Ciaz may well be available at a discount since many of the other manufacturers are moving stock of sedans. Because facing all of them, face it, is the worry of 2014 manufactured stock piling up before the 2015 stock arrives a few months from now too.

They say the same about the Tata Zest too, by the way, will likely be at a discount post-Diwali.
I think Maruti has already received 10k+ bookings and also there is a good demand for Ciaz. Hence I don't see any reason for any kind discount for Ciaz during the festival season.
Old 13th October 2014, 10:49   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by malq View Post
For far too long, as consumers, have we been made to dance and dangle in the game between dealer and manufacturer - and this has to stop. As far as I am concerned, I am the manufacturer's customer, so who the dealer is shall always be not relevant. The manufacturer in this case knows who the dealer is, and it is up to them to take corrective action, as well as understand who the customer is. If the manufacturer gives more weightage to the dealer, then so be it, their lookout.

I had this same run-in decades ago on components which were of proprietory brand names.

AC out of order? Go to AC manufacturer.
Tyres faulty? Go to tyre manufacturer.
Electricals like horns going defective? Go to electrical vendor.

Had to fight this out which is why today manufacturers must provide a single point corrective for the complete vehicle, not like in the '90s when we were made to dance.

Same for this advance booking thing - mistake is to make consumers give advance booking to dealers, am taking this up with Ministry of Finance, did car dealers or manufacturers become NBFCs or what, that they are taking deposits without paying interest or raising an invoice?

There is a system for taking advances - raise a performa/proforma invoice, add "prices as applicable at time of delivery", and then take the money under specified terms and conditions. Not like this, where a customer is treated like a locked in slave, forcing the customer to accept a non-desired slow-moving colour or variant!!
I have experienced Maruti and Honda service myself and have listened to experiences of Hyundai, Renault and Fiat service from my close friends/family members. I asked about dealer because I have seen that the experience vary a bit based on the choice of dealership we are dealing with.

I had to sell off my first M800 because of negligence of one authorized service center but then I researched to look for good MASS in NCR and never faced a problem again. Also, till date I have had many minor and major issues with the service centers. They were either rectified by the centers on first complaint or when the issue was escalated to the manufacturer. At the same time I am not that satisfied with Honda.

I agree with you as far as advanced booking is concerned. This practice is followed by all manufacturers for many high demand products. Be it a car, a mobile phone, a house, we pay advance before its launch. However, I would demand for a performa invoice and other documents when making a advance payment.

In totality, i think I should not go for a product with so many heart aches. It better to look for a better product in the market than feel helpless and cheated.
Old 13th October 2014, 11:55   #288
BANNED

In 3 days, the song in the case of my booking for a VXi+ has changed from "you have to make full payment for and only option available is VXi in white" to "how can we solve your problem" and "we apologise", from the dealer end. Meanwhile, my request for cancellation stands, but is stuck in minor documentation type issues which will resolve themselves and even if they don't, holding on to a booking amount of 21k does not influence the buy/no-buy decision. As of now, the multi-location dealership is passing the buck up and down, and Maruti-Suzuki prefers to let their dealers talk to customers so that's the situation.

If the electronics in the ZXi/ZXi+ version are causing so much confusion, then to all appearances the first batch of cars down the line in all versions have probably not been tested for electronic integrity too, so I am holding my bets for now. Which is a pity, because we were really looking forward to the Ciaz, but shall now probably wait till Maruti-Suzuki have atleast 6-10k cars on the road and actual user/owner feedback is available.

And I will also wait till a proper road test is offered, in a petrol vehicle of the equivalent variant, or one higher ZXi. Which, by the way, will need to be with all 5 rims of the same sort, steel or alloy.
malq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 12:39   #289
BHPian

My dealer called me for delivery. I booked a Zxi AT earlier. He kept telling me all this while that the delivery is at least two months away, he called me today am offering to deliver a Silver ZXI AT in three weeks from now if I book it now. I told him there were three issues.

1) I havent seen a silver Ciaz yet to have an opinion

2) I have not TD the Petrol (even manual) version yet (none of the showrooms have even a demo vehicle of petrol) to go and spend nearly 10 lakh INR

3) What is the guarantee that he will not sell me a demo vehicle (with junta doing their TD on it)

Did I miss anything else by the way of enquiry?

Can someone please at least post a Silver Ciaz if they have seen it elsewhere?

Thanks
Chandra
bhaskaracs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 15:30   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Nop! The competition in both the cases had moved on and there was little aspiration the Maruti models left. In an era where the competition is providing 100+ bhp figures and equally good / better interiors, what USP does Maruti have?! A 3 kmpl difference in diesel FE can NOT be a differentiator for the crowd at 10L segment.

Maruti is NOT doing a favor by providing good interiors; the buyers of this segment simply deserves it!!
Bang on!

Going through the review, the only thought that comes to my mind is reducing the power of the car would certainly amount to a better FE. So is the FE of ~19-20 for Petrol (Not sure of the exact figure) really anything outstanding?

People have reported FE of 17-18 with the Honda City too, which has 30% more power than the Ciaz.

From the Features perspective too, Ciaz does not offer anything extravagant. If and when Hyundai comes up with an updated or a next-gen Verna, expect to see such features easily in the car.

The biggest factor for me is the 'Fun to Drive' nature missing in this car. Like mentioned in the Review, even overtaking with this car would require dropping a gear and pushing the car a bit which is something you really don't want on a 10L off sedan.

This car is best suited for people who like to be driven than to drive.
tejas08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 15:50   #291
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
I haven't had a TD yet, but going from the reports in this thread, the soft suspension + very little headroom, is likely to give the rear seat passengers a good headbang on not so smooth highways.
Old 13th October 2014, 16:02   #292
BHPian

I think Ciaz will break in to a segment of people who otherwise will not buy a sedan. People who would want more everything for the money they paid, eventually ready to compromise on quality / performance. I don't think this will be a competitor to Honda City, but it will open some new space in the market. I think its an proposition that might suit a middle / upper middle class requirements and budget (I hope the economical growth has upgraded these class in to sedan from a hatch). So my gut feeling is the lower petrol variant which would fall slightly under 8L would be really tempting for people who wants to graduate to sedans. (That too their favorite / reliable MSIL). Other hand the high end variants really don't stand much chance in the competition with the likes of City, Verna, Vento or Rapid IMHO.
Old 13th October 2014, 20:45   #293
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
I haven't had a TD yet, but going from the reports in this thread, the soft suspension + very little headroom, is likely to give the rear seat passengers a good headbang on not so smooth highways.

I am absolutely sure that I would hate to be driven in the CIAZ while sitting in the back seat. The severe lack of head room is really tangible. It feels positively claustrophobic in the back and if one is a 6+ footer like I am, then one's head will most certainly bang the roof when the car goes over a bump. The under thigh support too is very poor.

Personally I would not even engage this car as a taxi on my various business trips around India. I would go so far as to say that the Logan/ Verito and the old Dzire and the Tata Indigo are more comfortable as taxis. The new Dzire also has this certain lack of headroom but it is pretty comfy otherwise.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 13:24   #294

Very nice review I must say. I was waiting for it since it is a very important launch for Maruti. Pricing gets a thumbs up from me. High waiting periods coming up.
Old 14th October 2014, 15:08   #295
BHPian

For all those who look forward to actually buy a Ciaz, may I extend an (unsolicited ) advice?

Call up the dealership and ask about the waiting period of the variant you are interested. You will get a standard 3 or 4 months (depending on the city) reply. Say thanks and hang up after leaving your number.

A day after, you'll get a call from a sales guy. Tell him that you are concerned about the waiting period. Then he'll reply that although it used to take 3 - 4 months, they are expecting to bring down that to 2 months or less. Say thanks.

On the next call, agree to visit the showroom. If you want a test drive, be sure to select where they have an attached service station. Then they can manage to get a TD vehicle and you can see the colours and variants also.

After that, when its time to talk business, agree to give a substantial deposit, perhaps the full price (or the remainder of your finance amount) once they can assure you a delivery date. Do not haggle on insurance and such things. (You are less likely to get a big saving on outside insurance for a Maruti- their rates are usually competitive). It would also help greatly if you are not that choosy or particular about the colour.

Be sure to ask for the shipment details, and follow it up regularly. Otherwise you'll be forced to wait longer as they'll sell whatever car that arrives to those customers who press them constantly. You'll most probably get your vehicle in 2 - 4 weeks.

Believe me, this strategy sure works in my part of the country. With every dealer. With the first generation Diesel Swift, first generation Dzire, second (current) generation Swift, Ertiga, even AMT Celerio, this worked everytime.

And from my experience, once past the purchase / delivery part, your worry over a Maruti car is over. For service and maintenance, most of you will be happy for most of the time. Maruti gives you the least stressful ownership experience, perhaps matched only by Toyota.

When it is time to sell, you are less likely to wait for long to someone to buy your car than most other brands.

Last edited by Yeldo : 14th October 2014 at 15:12.
Yeldo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 15:51   #296
BHPian

Just checked out the Ciaz. It does look beautiful. Even the chrome on the grill that made me hate it, looks good, although it was constantly reflecting sunlight into my eyes.

But the rest of the car is a let down.

- It is a flimsy car. Opening and closing the door reminded me of an Alto.

- Plastics are not great, but is in par with my Ecosport. I think City's plastics are much better.

- Seats are small, not much thigh support. A bit plusher than my Ecosport's seat, but smaller. City has better seats.

- Doors are thin, almost like City. Ecosport has thicker door panels.

- Banged my shoulder against the top while getting out.

If I could buy one without the engine, I would park it in front of my house, but I would not want to be driving it.

Last edited by blacksport : 14th October 2014 at 15:57.
blacksport is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 16:48   #297
BHPian

Mod Note : Team-BHP strongly discourages unsafe driving practices that put yourself and other road users at risk. Please do NOT post about illegally high speeds on public roads.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
Like mentioned in the Review, even overtaking with this car would require dropping a gear and pushing the car a bit which is something you really don't want on a 10L off sedan.

I think this only a comment and not a review, no offence friend !

Just by hearing the cc of the engine, one cannot underestimate its capability. I am not here to advertise for Ciaz, but when I own a car (read SX4) which is also equipped with the same engine and driven it extensively (40K km plus), never I felt, even for one instance to downshift for overtaking.

Morever, what we will do with more than a 100 bhp power vehicle in our cities - we will do racing? And on the highway I don't think anybody would say this engine is underpowered when you can go at higher speeds and I must say, reaching that digit is so effortless too.

Issue here is the "comparison only based on the cc of the engine".

IN THE REAL WORLD, THIS ENGINE DELIVERS!

Last edited by GTO : 15th October 2014 at 13:14. Reason: Mention of high speed
Keralite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 17:42   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Just checked out the Ciaz. It does look beautiful. Even the chrome on the grill that made me hate it, looks good, although it was constantly reflecting sunlight into my eyes.

But the rest of the car is a let down.

- It is a flimsy car. Opening and closing the door reminded me of an Alto.

- Plastics are not great, but is in par with my Ecosport. I think City's plastics are much better.

- Seats are small, not much thigh support. A bit plusher than my Ecosport's seat, but smaller. City has better seats.

- Doors are thin, almost like City. Ecosport has thicker door panels.

- Banged my shoulder against the top while getting out.

If I could buy one without the engine, I would park it in front of my house, but I would not want to be driving it.
Well you should probably be comparing it to the Honda City rather than Ecosport. I actually found it much solid compared to City. The difference between two is, Honda City scores in Engine department and Ciaz scores on Space.

Slightly O.T: The sheet metal of Ecosport is too heavy even when compared with Europeans like VW/Skoda . One can compare the heaviness to the likes of Tata!
Old 14th October 2014, 17:46   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Well you should probably be comparing it to the Honda City rather than Ecosport. I actually found it much solid compared to City. The difference between two is, Honda City scores in Engine department and Ciaz scores on Space.

Slightly O.T: The sheet metal of Ecosport is too heavy even when compared with Europeans like VW/Skoda . One can compare the heaviness to the likes of Tata!
I compared it with two cars that I have access to - Ecosport (my car) and the new City (my sister's).

The City is much more solid compared to the Ciaz.
Old 14th October 2014, 17:58   #300
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keralite View Post
Just by hearing the cc of the engine, one cannot underestimate its capability. I am not here to advertise for Ciaz, but when I own a car (read SX4) which is also equipped with the same engine and driven it extensively (40K km plus), never I felt, even for one instance to downshift for overtaking.

Morever, what we will do with more than a 100 bhp power vehicle in our cities - we will do racing? And on the highway I don't think anybody would say this engine is underpowered when you can go at higher speeds and I must say, reaching that digit is so effortless too.
Its not about the cc. But the bhp figures of the car are a bit on the lower side. And during a overtaking maneouvre one would at times need to downshift to enter the torque zone. Same is the case with my Altis diesel. It can also go to 3 digit speeds easily but ofcourse during overtaking, if not planned properly, you would need to downshift.

Last edited by Aditya : 15th October 2014 at 12:26. Reason: Editing quote in line with previous post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks