Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2014, 12:27   #451
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Ciaz : Official Review

Ciaz seen in blue, will this be a new varaint, or just an added color?

Maruti Ciaz : Official Review-b2fxpivccaeex0a.jpg

Source:Gaadiwaadi
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2014, 14:36   #452
BHPian

Had the (good!!) fortune of seeing the Ciaz in the flesh today at a Maruti dealership.

Five basic observations - compared to an SX4:

1. Interiors look relatively glossy - I don't like the pseudo half-shine
2. The sitting position of the front seats is low, I had to literally look over the dash, no, I am not very short, just 5'10"
3. Rear seat legroom is of now consequence, under-thigh support has been compromised and the lack of adjustable rear neck-restraints is a retrograde step; both in terms of comfort and safety!
4. The doors feel tinny, I am not even comparing with a German marque like VW!
5. The (relatively) skinny tyres are a letdown, I think Maruti is competing with Honda (and succeeded) on being anorexic

The bottom line is that Maruti has achieved it's aim of maximum mileage at the lowest cost at any cost

The Ciaz is truly not an enthusiast's delight!
cpbopanna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2014, 15:42   #453
Senior - BHPian

Well I do not know of any other car which has thicker tyres. To compare it to Honda in this aspect is a bit unfair. MSIL knows that Inndian customers want a car loaded with all kinds of gadgets and that gives a "top mileage" so they are targetting this constituency. The skinny tyres never prevented Honda City from selling in large numbers and neithr did good handling, a solid build and fat tyres make the Linea win the showroom sweepstakes.

Enthusiasts are in a minority and that is why the cars they root for often do not sell in big numbers.

Last edited by rajneeesh : 14th November 2014 at 15:47.
Old 14th November 2014, 15:52   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
fortune of seeing the Ciaz

2. The sitting position of the front seats is low,
under-thigh support has been compromised and the lack of adjustable rear neck-restraints is a retrograde step; both in terms of comfort and safety!
4. The doors feel tinny,
5. The (relatively) skinny tyres are a letdown

The bottom line is that Maruti has achieved it's aim of maximum mileage at the lowest cost at any cost

I don't see the seat being positioned lower as a problem, but comfortable adjustment takes a little working around.
Back seat comfort is poor compared to a Honda City.
Doors feel tiny? I dont seem to get you.
I feel the tires are big enough for its profile and decent looking alloy/Wheel cap.
I dont think the mileage is as gr8 as they claim, its just average compared to the other diesel competitors, may be a little more for the smaller engine.

You should take a test drive.
So many cars fall in the non enthusiasts delight. Relativity...
Old 14th November 2014, 16:31   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
I don't see the seat being positioned lower as a problem, but comfortable adjustment takes a little working around.
Doors feel tiny? I don't seem to get you.
I feel the tires are big enough for its profile and decent looking alloy/Wheel cap.
I don't think the mileage is as gr8 as they claim, its just average compared to the other diesel competitors, may be a little more for the smaller engine.

Yes, maybe you are right, I need to take a test drive!

But as I have clearly stated, my basis for comparison is an SX4:

1) Seat position lower/dashboard higher - compared to a Ciaz; the front seat of an SX4 gives a commanding view of the road, almost SUV like
2) By far (in that price range), I feel the SX4 has a awesome back seat - for 2 passengers though, fantastic angle, good thigh support, with adjustable neck-restraints, which the city did not (+does not) have and the Ciaz does not have
3) The SX4 runs on 205/60 R16 tyres. Comparatively, the tyres of the Ciaz with 195/55 R16 are thin!
4) What I meant was tinny doors (not tiny), the doors of an SX4 close with a better thud compared to the Ciaz, the thinner sheet metal is evident!

The above points are my personal observations and by no means an effort to spark a debate

I own an SX4 and as I have stated elsewhere in the forum, my next car (after 2 years) will be an S-Cross and not a Ciaz
Old 14th November 2014, 17:44   #456
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
3) The SX4 runs on 205/60 R16 tyres. Comparatively, the tyres of the Ciaz with 195/55 R16 are thin!
even then, by no means is 195 a 'thin' tyre on a 10L sedan - 205s on the SX4 is a case of luck-by-chance, because, SX4 originally launched with only petrol and was never planned to participate in the "kitna deti hai" debate at all. Had it been launched with a diesel counterpart, I am sure MS would never have made any variant of the SX4 with >185 tyres
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 17:56   #457
BHPian

Here is my desperate attempt to get this thread moving .

After the initial hoopla, has anyone on this forum got his or her car delivered? Will be good to see an initial ownership review report soon on this car.

After being gungho about his car for over two months, my own interest has considerably waned which led me to cancel my booking and got my Elantra SX CRDI AT delivered today.

I started developing this feeling that Ciaz lacks a distinct character and signature style - it has everthing else going for it. And contrary to my initially held views, I now believe this car will age pretty quickly unlike a City, Verna, Linea or Vento which mean something to the buyer. These brands communicate with the owner through their looks and the overall experience. Not sure what MSIL is trying to communicate through Ciaz.

I think this will meet the same fate of Sunny (Uber apparently booked 2000+ Sunny for their cab service) given its boot space, leg space, low cost of long term ownership and a complete lack of character.
bhaskaracs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 23:53   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Had the (good!!) fortune of seeing the Ciaz in the flesh today at a Maruti dealership.

1. Interiors look relatively glossy - I don't like the pseudo half-shine
2. The sitting position of the front seats is low, I had to literally look over the dash, no, I am not very short, just 5'10"
3. Rear seat legroom is of now consequence, under-thigh support has been compromised and the lack of adjustable rear neck-restraints is a retrograde step; both in terms of comfort and safety!
4. The doors feel tinny, I am not even comparing with a German marque like VW!
5. The (relatively) skinny tyres are a letdown, I think Maruti is competing with Honda (and succeeded) on being anorexic

I agree to each word you said here. Thumbs up!!

Quote:
Doors feel tiny? I dont seem to get you.
I dont think the mileage is as gr8 as they claim, its just average compared to the other diesel competitors, may be a little more for the smaller engine.

The seats are just way too cheapo for me to even take a TD, I saw the car inside out but just didn't feel like wanting a TD.
Doors are thin and light, the SX4 feels better in this matter.
Gearshift is not as slick as in my Swift.
Overall, I know it will sell, but I won't have a second look in my ORVM while zooming past it on Highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskaracs View Post
Here is my desperate attempt to get this thread moving .

After the initial hoopla, has anyone on this forum got his or her car delivered? Will be good to see an initial ownership review report soon on this car.

After being gungho about his car for over two months, my own interest has considerably waned which led me to cancel my booking and got my Elantra SX CRDI AT delivered today.

I started developing this feeling that Ciaz lacks a distinct character and signature style - it has everthing else going for it. And contrary to my initially held views, I now believe this car will age pretty quickly unlike a City, Verna, Linea or Vento which mean something to the buyer. These brands communicate with the owner through their looks and the overall experience. Not sure what MSIL is trying to communicate through Ciaz.

I think this will meet the same fate of Sunny (Uber apparently booked 2000+ Sunny for their cab service) given its boot space, leg space, low cost of long term ownership and a complete lack of character.
I am not sure about the cab thing, but rest of the thing you said are totally agreeable.
Linea>Fiesta>Vento>2015 Verna>City>Ciaz. This is how I would rate character quotient in this category.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 12:53   #459
Senior - BHPian

Got the refund cheque without any drama on the 4th day. The sales associate was very disappointed but he was apologizing for being unable to deliver the variant & color i wanted. He said he couldn't even predict how long it would take for me to get the ZDI in the toffee brown color.
Old 19th November 2014, 16:13   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
The seats are just way too cheapo for me to even take a TD,
the SX4 feels better in this matter.
Gearshift is not as slick as in my Swift.
Overall, I know it will sell, but I won't have a second look in my ORVM while zooming past it on Highways.

Linea>Fiesta>Vento>2015 Verna>City>Ciaz. This is how I would rate character quotient in this category.
I don't see cheap written anywhere on the Ciaz. You can compare with Sx4 or opel astra, but you are missing the point, are we buying car by just the feel of the doors?
It might not sell, find fate like the sunny with only few takers for its space and easy maintainability or just its fresh new simple look compared to cars with same old name for decades undergoing facelift after facelift (city/verna/...)
Zooming past it on a swift will be dangerous, remember its a hatchback and has its limits.
Visaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 19:35   #461
BHPian

Quote:
I don't see cheap written anywhere on the Ciaz. You can compare with Sx4 or opel astra, but you are missing the point, are we buying car by just the feel of the doors?
It might not sell, find fate like the sunny with only few takers for its space and easy maintainability or just its fresh new simple look compared to cars with same old name for decades undergoing facelift after facelift (city/verna/...)
Zooming past it on a swift will be dangerous, remember its a hatchback and has its limits.
No Maruti car feels really upmarket and solid built to me. I will prefer a Fiesta or a Vento anyday above the Ciaz for build quality.
People don't care much about the build, and how the doors feel but most of us on teambhp do. Of course we don't buy cars for just feel of doors to answer your question, but we don't buy it just for space and Maruti badge, yes, the Janta does, not me and a good number of other car enthusiasts.
Talking about sales, it will sell. It is a Maruti after all, it is cheaper than a City and more spacious, what else the Janta want? The maths is in favor of this car, it got to sell. We can't compare it with the Sunny just because it has got acres pf space and nothing exciting at all. Nissan and Maruti just can't be compared as far as sales are to be considered.
It is a very light car, 0-100 timings tell that it will be easy to drive and ready to accelerate in legal speed limits, and lesser weight means higher fuel economy. Ciaz will do just fine.
But for me, I just can't ignore the <1100 KG weight, it is even lighter than a Punto or a Zest for that matter. Of course the build should be checked thoroughly. For me, it is the product that I am buying and comparably, the new Fiesta or the Vento are more sensible, being better built products. For somebody who takes brands too seriously and overlook product's downsides, Ciaz makes more sense. Also, there are people who really find tge Ciaz desirable and take an informed decision, e.g. for tier 3 cities, wherein they don't have Ford/VW/Honda showrooms. I am totally fine with them, it ia only that I didn't like it.
Old 19th November 2014, 22:43   #462
e46
BHPian

Ciaz has been snapped in pseudo RS avatar. Now, dont get your imagination go wild, as this would be changes would be purely cosmetic. spoilers and front and back skirts are prominent, as is the smoked alloys.
I however, wanted to see, if they throw in all black interior option.

Abhishek //M

source: here
e46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 12:52   #463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
I guess it will sell in reverse order

Linea<Fiesta<Vento<2015 Verna<City<Ciaz
aniketi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 13:18   #464
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46 View Post
Ciaz has been snapped in pseudo RS avatar. Now, dont get your imagination go wild, as this would be changes would be purely cosmetic. spoilers and front and back skirts are prominent, as is the smoked alloys.

I however, wanted to see, if they throw in all black interior option.
They could have gone the Chinese Ciaz way for this variant with chrome being offered only at the right places to up the factor a bit.

What all decals, stickers these designers come up with!

Anurag.
Old 20th November 2014, 13:47   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
I guess it will sell in reverse order

Linea<Fiesta<Vento<2015 Verna<City<Ciaz
Historically sales of larger Suzuki cars have bombed the world over. In India itself its a pretty long list Baleno, Altura, Vitara, Grand Vitara, SX4, Kizashi.....

They might be decent cars, good value for money, plum discounts but very few are interested paying north of 8 lacs for a maruti!

Initially the first few months sales look decent due to the novelty factor and huge sales reach.

Then its slows down, discounts start, then maruti bullies dealers to absorb more cars, dealers provide ridiculous discounts in desperation, then they protest when half a dozen cars lie in their yard for months. Maruti then ceases production.

On the bright side when their resale values fall they make excellent second hand propositions. I remember a friend who saved up for a Palio 1.6, then snapping up a mint condition Baleno instead with plenty of change to spare.

Hopefully this car charts a different story for Maruti.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks