Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2015, 19:24   #586
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

What is this turbo zone? How will being in this turbo zone for longer periods affect the engine or the car? If you are specific about cold starts, accelerating hard is bad. But why will being in the so called turbo zone be of trouble?
I mentioned it for cold starts. Till the engine reaches its working temp it is better not to drive hard.

Turbo zone is 2000 RPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post

Do these modern engines need run-in at all? Does MUL recommend this?
Did i say that MSIL has recommended to follow the run-in?

It is the way I am following the running-in process for my 3 cars which i expressed. It upto the end user of he wants to follow the run-in or not.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 1st January 2015 at 19:26.
Old 1st January 2015, 20:18   #587
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Ciaz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Did i say that MSIL has recommended to follow the run-in?

It is the way I am following the running-in process for my 3 cars which i expressed. It upto the end user of he wants to follow the run-in or not.

Anurag.
Neither did I. It was a question to you as I don't know.

Please elaborate on the 3 cars, its engines, the number of kms you drove for and the benefits you have reaped by running in your way. Or how different is your engine compared to the regular average car user. I am asking for the greater good of the forum, if not we can assume it as just 'feel good' factor you are perceiving.

Last edited by funkykar : 1st January 2015 at 20:21.
Old 1st January 2015, 20:41   #588
BANNED

Quote:

Neither did I. It was a question to you as I don't know.

Please elaborate on the 3 cars, its engines, the number of kms you drove for and the benefits you have reaped by running in your way. Or how different is your engine compared to the regular average car user. I am asking for the greater good of the forum, if not we can assume it as just 'feel good' factor you are perceiving.
Ritz VDi - 1.1 lakh kms;
Swift ZDi - 30K kms and clocking;
Ertiga ZDi - 16K kms and clocking.

I am not saying that there is some great perceived difference. It is smoother to drive as compared to the other DDiS cars driven that are owned by friends who never bother of oil change etc.

Anurag.
Old 1st January 2015, 20:47   #589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I am not saying that there is some great perceived difference. It is smoother to drive as compared to the other DDiS cars driven that are owned by friends who never bother of oil change etc.

Anurag.

Thanks, you just answered it. The run-in you did made no difference. Your friends who never bother of oil change etc mattered.
Old 1st January 2015, 20:52   #590
BANNED

Quote:

Thanks, you just answered it. The run-in you did made no difference. Your friends who never bother of oil change etc mattered.
See buddy, I had given those points above in the post quoted to "SpeedSatya" was what 'I' followed for the cars I drive. I never mandated it or told that others on this forum "Should" follow.

If you feel it is not worthy, I am sorry.

Anurag.
Old 1st January 2015, 21:13   #591
Senior - BHPian

Definitely OT, but posting in the context;Ideal to continue the subject discussion here, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...r-new-car.html

Running in periods have undergone sea change over the years, so do the oil drain intervals. The former due to improved manufacturing processes, metallurgy and tolerances and the latter on account of additionally the quality of lubricants. Early Ambassador cars recommended oil change every 1600 Kms or so. Improved quality of the lubricating oils and the additives blended had resulted in manifold increase in drain intervals.

However, it is always advisable to follow running in precautions till 2500 Kms. Some manufacturers do recommend this by limiting the rpm below a certain level during this period.

Last edited by rajeev k : 1st January 2015 at 21:19.
rajeev k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2015, 21:30   #592
Distinguished - BHPian

I am one of those who believes in taking good care of car till I own than just the first 10k kms. Hence, I would personally put similar (if not same) efforts to maintain my car at 10k or 100k. If one wants, he can follow the running in tasks for 10k kms and then abuse it soon after this barrier and completely mess up with his car.

Timely oil change, preventive maintenance, 30 second idle rule, smoother ABC operation - All this are more than just good to ensure your car remains in excellent shape till It can last.

Adding to this, I also believe the real longevity of your car is when multiple scenarios have been tested. Ghats, AC, Highways, fully loaded co passenger seats, luggage etc. There can be real surprises if one remains complacent due to simple pattern of everyday driving.

For a car to get into good books of reliability, the best test is to drive it under all these conditons.

Since I own the Ertiga (Diesel) it makes some sense to say that I haven't really followed any "strict" running in for it.

May be for the initial 5000 kms I never crossed 100kmph mark and today though my cruising speeds are little higher, I always prefer to "reach" the desired speeds than "rush" to be there by pushing in every gear.

Oh, I follow that to my 220K kms WagonR even today but thats not running in . I fixed the RPM meter only in its 6th year (almost 9 years now).

Anyways, discussed this enough now I guess. Back to CIAZ now!!

Last edited by paragsachania : 1st January 2015 at 21:31.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st January 2015, 21:52   #593
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Definitely OT, but posting in the context;Ideal to continue the subject discussion here

However, it is always advisable to follow running in precautions till 2500 Kms. Some manufacturers do recommend this by limiting the rpm below a certain level during this period.
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Anyways, discussed this enough now I guess. Back to CIAZ now!!
Thanks.

Lets get back to Ciaz.
Old 1st January 2015, 21:56   #594
Distinguished - BHPian

Can anyone throw some light on the changes made to the engine(K14) in comparison to the Ertiga engine and why it is been made so? Is it why the fuel efficiency has gone up? The piston has been dug into. This should increase the compression ratio. However at the same time shouldn't it increase the cubic capacity?
Old 1st January 2015, 22:06   #595
Senior - BHPian

Running in is recommended by Maruti for the Ciaz also. Take a look.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Ciaz : Official Review-untitled.png  

rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2015, 22:06   #596
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Can anyone throw some light on the changes made to the engine(K14) in comparison to the Ertiga engine and why it is been made so? Is it why the fuel efficiency has gone up? The piston has been dug into. This should increase the compression ratio. However at the same time shouldn't it increase the cubic capacity?
Even I would love to know. Even a rebored bike's Cubic capacity changes like you say.

More Aerodynamic Design, lesser rolling resistance (for prescribed Air pressure), tire size (though both are 185), gear Ratios in overdrive?

Weight difference is something am yet to check but will be interested to learn the vital aspects that really makes the same K14 return higher FE to that of Ertiga.

If its ECU which is tweaked, may be MSIL can call all Ertigas for an update for their ECUs too but that seems like a remote reason behind this I suppose.
Old 1st January 2015, 23:56   #597
Team-BHP Support

Note from Support: Guys, let's stay on the topic please. Further OT posts will be deleted.
Old 4th January 2015, 17:12   #598
BHPian

Hey guys.
I booked a black ZDI ciaz to replace our 2 year 70,000km run honda city. Getting the car on pre excise duty hike rates with free extended warranty.
Wanted the zdi+ variant but maruti dont produce it yet.
Had a tough time choosing between another new petrol honda city, duster ,xuv ,elantra,corolla...will hopefully start a ownership thread.:-)
Old 6th January 2015, 14:49   #599
BHPian

Does anyone have any news on the navigation system issue that Bosch is working on which is holding back the Z+ variants ? Is that the only reason that is holding back the Z+ option cause it's hard to accept that a navigation unit issue is being worked around for 4 months now and still not resolved.
Old 6th January 2015, 16:12   #600
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisheksircar View Post
Does anyone have any news on the navigation system issue that Bosch is working on which is holding back the Z+ variants ? Is that the only reason that is holding back the Z+ option cause it's hard to accept that a navigation unit issue is being worked around for 4 months now and still not resolved.
Electronic products which make it into automotive sector have long gestation cycles (>1 year) before they make it to actual production cars. After the OEM supplier develops the prototype, finishing his testing cycle, and delivers to the car-maker; the product "soaks" itself in the car makers testing cycle for a long time, before announcements are made. I am still not able to digest the fact that MS announced this Z+ model without even having a "tested and complete" sat-nav in their hands. Utter, utter shame.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed