Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2015, 16:32   #856
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ciaz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passiondrive View Post
The noise from glove box cannot be rectified because the replacement unit is also defective.Its a shame that maruthi overlooked this matter when they positioned ciaz in premium segment. They will have to redesign the hinge part of the glove box,recall all the vehicles and replace it. Let us see whether they have that level of commitment towards the customer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amritpal2489 View Post
That's disheartening. I had taken up the matter with Maruti and they have assured me that it would be rectified.
I have the same problem, the whole glove box door, everything behind it has been removed, checked for any loose nut and refitted. There is a little improvement but damn the sound comes back on uneven roads. Let me know how to contact maruti for this particular problem?
It sounds as though something is loose and vibrating inside, when i leave the glove box open, i dont hear the sound.
Old 16th April 2015, 22:42   #857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
I have the same problem, the whole glove box door, everything behind it has been removed, checked for any loose nut and refitted. There is a little improvement but damn the sound comes back on uneven roads. Let me know how to contact maruti for this particular problem?
It sounds as though something is loose and vibrating inside, when i leave the glove box open, i dont hear the sound.
Exactly the same issue. We need to take this up with Maruti at a higher level somehow
Old 17th April 2015, 15:59   #858
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The 1.4L with 91 horses on tap. Has variable valve timing on the intake side only:

Petrol gets an insulation sheet under the hood...

...and on the firewall, but it's not enough:

The petrol's rev-counter. Free-revving engine, although max rpm is a conservative ~6,200:

The Ciaz petrol is powered by a 1.4L K-Series engine which is basically a larger version of the 1.2L found in cars like the Swift & Dzire. This 1,373 cc motor was first seen in the Ertiga. It makes 91 BHP (@ 6,000 rpm) and 130 Nm of peak torque (@ 4,000 rpm). Admittedly, the Ciaz has the smallest engine from the C2 segment where 1.5L & 1.6L petrols dominate. It also has the least power & torque output from the group. The fact that the Ciaz is the lightest sedan here somewhat helps its cause.

The small size won't bother you in the city. Start the Ciaz petrol & the engine settles into a refined idle. Maruti engineers have smartly tuned the 1.4L for low-end power delivery, and it shows. Engine pep when moving off from 0 kph is good. Even the ratio of the 2nd gear has been well-chosen for city driving. Sub-2000 rpm throttle responses are satisfactory and you won't be using the gearshift too much on your daily commute to work. Driveability is healthy and, at commuting speeds, the petrol is actually better than its 1.3L diesel sibling. The engine allows you to remain in 2nd gear in situations that some competitors would require a downshift to 1st. The Ciaz feels acceptably peppy and isn't under-powered at all for urban conditions. It's very practical.

The story is different on the highway. This is exactly where the engine's size & power deficit are evident. When you spend a million bucks, you expect something special....but the Ciaz doesn't give you any 'wow' moments. Power delivery is straightforward & linear in nature. On the open road, this Maruti sedan is best driven conservatively. While the low-end response impressed us in the city, the weak mid-range disappointed us on the highway. It feels rather flat in the mid-rpm range and you'll frequently downshift to keep up with fast traffic. Even if you are cruising in 5th gear, any change in driving conditions (e.g. traffic, inclines) means you have to downshift to 4th. This weakness is amplified with 4 occupants & luggage onboard. The petrol is reasonably rev-happy, albeit the max rpm is a conservative ~6,200 (the Honda City revs to 7,100 rpm). Though the Ciaz doesn't seem under-powered, you will have to work the engine harder than in the Honda City or VW Vento TSI. Don't get me wrong, the car can cruise comfortably on the expressway...just that it's no road-burner. A sedate driving style is most suitable for this engine. Where the Honda City, Vento TSI & Linea T-Jet are entertaining, the Ciaz is boring.

There's another reason for me to recommend an easy right foot. Rev the engine hard and it becomes noisy! The sound gets irritating after a while and you'll feel it's better to cruise than push the car hard. 100 kph is seen at ~2,700 rpm and 120 kph at ~3,200 rpm. These cruising rpms are a little on the higher side. Make the speedometer climb up and the engine becomes audible. Leave aside high rpms, even at 3,000 rpm, the motor is audible. It’s not a sweet sounding engine either; raspy note, but far from being music to your ears.

The gearbox is nice enough to use. Its gates are well defined and they're placed close to one another. That said, this isn't a short-throw gearshift. The throw is longer than some competitors. The clutch is light enough. It's a tad too grabby though, and the pedal comes out more than I prefer. The clutch pedal should have had a shorter throw. If convenience is a priority for you, the Ciaz is available with a 4-speed automatic (conventional torque-converter transmission). The Rs. 1.1 lakh premium for the automatic is on the higher side, especially when you consider that the segment norm is a 5-Speed AT. The best-in-class VW Vento Automatic is equipped with a 7-Speed DSG!

In summary, the 1.4 petrol does the job. It's competent in the city, but not on the highway. The Ciaz petrol isn't for enthusiasts, even though it meets the needs of its target (commuter) market.
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 16:46   #859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

In summary, the 1.4 petrol does the job. It's competent in the city, but not on the highway. The Ciaz petrol isn't for enthusiasts, even though it meets the needs of its target (commuter) market.

So in your view, in case someone is mainly a city commuter with say once in three months highway drive with two people on board and decent luggage, CIAZ should fit the bill and would be a good choice ?
Old 17th April 2015, 20:45   #860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
Open the glove box midway and just pull it towards you,it will come out easily.now run your car without the glove box you wont hear any sound.This is from my experience.I hope someone from MARUTHI is reading this post.
Old 18th April 2015, 02:06   #861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
So in your view, in case someone is mainly a city commuter with say once in three months highway drive with two people on board and decent luggage, CIAZ should fit the bill and would be a good choice ?

If it's petrol , then it's the Honda City to look at and if it's a diesel , you have multiple options.
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2015, 11:27   #862
BHPian

Quote:
Consider test driving Linea if you are after a petrol. It might impress you
Old 18th April 2015, 11:51   #863
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

There's another reason for me to recommend an easy right foot. Rev the engine hard and it becomes noisy! The sound gets irritating after a while and you'll feel it's better to cruise than push the car hard. 100 kph is seen at ~2,700 rpm and 120 kph at ~3,200 rpm. These cruising rpms are a little on the higher side. Make the speedometer climb up and the engine becomes audible. Leave aside high rpms, even at 3,000 rpm, the motor is audible. It’s not a sweet sounding engine either; raspy note, but far from being music to your ears.
Quite surprising this. The Dzire petrol is extremely silent and I had the imagination that the Ciaz would be better. You can keep the engine close three quarters to the redline and still the passengers will not realise it. We ourselves wont realise it until we look at the rev counter. Far better than whats on the i10.
Old 19th April 2015, 05:51   #864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passiondrive View Post
Open the glove box midway and just pull it towards you,it will come out easily.now run your car without the glove box you wont hear any sound.This is from my experience.I hope someone from MARUTHI is reading this post.
I do not get this rattling noise from the glovebox. Nor any rattling noise from anywhere. But that said the vehicle seems to be built to a cost. I can see a few specks of dust behind the music system display glass and behind the speedo/tacho glass. The sealing seems inadequate. Also when the ac cuts off the engine vibrates and idles unevenly for about 5 to 10 seconds before settling down to a normal idle. There is no extra smoke or anything. This does not happen when the ac starts up. I am hoping this is a software problem. Keeping a watch on it till the next service.
Old 20th April 2015, 12:36   #865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Recently when I was in the market for a new car, among sedans my shortlist were Petrol City and Ciaz. I test drove both. Like GTO mentioned in the city Ciaz felt very peppy and had no issues with any lack of power or torque. However flat midrange was felt and the engine note was particularly not pleasing for me after 3000rpm. For normal scenarios as you defined, Ciaz fits the bill. City's engine is certainly class apart. In terms of space both are at par, Ciaz has slight cost advantage of about 50-60K compared to a city. If budget is not a big deal, the consider City over Ciaz. I felt even the interiors on City had a bit more premium feel over Ciaz.
supertinu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 05:56   #866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Recently when I was in the market for a new car, among sedans my shortlist were Petrol City and Ciaz. I test drove both. Like GTO mentioned in the city Ciaz felt very peppy and had no issues with any lack of power or torque. However flat midrange was felt and the engine note was particularly not pleasing for me after 3000rpm. For normal scenarios as you defined, Ciaz fits the bill. City's engine is certainly class apart. In terms of space both are at par, Ciaz has slight cost advantage of about 50-60K compared to a city. If budget is not a big deal, the consider City over Ciaz. I felt even the interiors on City had a bit more premium feel over Ciaz.
But how about degrading interior quality and lesser kerb weight compared to the Singapore version? I don't mean to offend your choice, just curious if you have considered these things.
Old 22nd April 2015, 17:14   #867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisheksircar View Post
Video works fine. Works only if hand break is engaged. This is how it is in most video players in the market for safety although there is a hack to it. Will try and update.
What kind of formats have you tried playing, my system doesn't seem to recognize any. I had mp3 songs and videos in the format mkv, mp4 & avi. The system doesn't seem to recognize any. Has anybody else faced this problem?
Old 22nd April 2015, 23:21   #868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
But how about degrading interior quality and lesser kerb weight compared to the Singapore version? I don't mean to offend your choice, just curious if you have considered these things.
All things considered, the city is a better car. And when its comes to performance its better than Ciaz by far. Also, the Honda badge has more value. As far as the build is concerned, i would still trust the Honda more( if a Ford or VW is out of question) than a Maruti. Over the year they have simply cut essential steel in their cars.
Old 22nd April 2015, 23:47   #869
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder_p8 View Post
Over the year they have simply cut essential steel in their cars.
I would say this point applies more to Honda than Maruti. Compare the earlier gen City with the newer gen and it's very apparent that that the new City has cut more corners and feels even less solid than the earlier City which itself was not great.

I found the Ciaz to be reasonable in build quality and slightly better than City.

The City excels in the interior design and plastics feel slightly better but both these cars are huge compromise in fit/finish and build quality.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2015, 08:04   #870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder_p8 View Post
All things considered, the city is a better car. And when its comes to performance its better than Ciaz by far. Also, the Honda badge has more value. As far as the build is concerned, i would still trust the Honda more( if a Ford or VW is out of question) than a Maruti. Over the year they have simply cut essential steel in their cars.
I am a City lover, not this one, but the 1st gen. Be it engine, steering, interior and exterior build.. It was excellent. That is what made it a better car, better than the Balenos and Ikons. The 2nd gen was in the same way better than the SX4 and the Fiesta, even the 3rd gen looked good in front of the Vento, the latest gen Fiesta and others.
Honda stopped making Civic here and then launched the 4th gen City which is bigger in size and more spacious, has futuristic looking dashboard, yes. Size wise, this car is in between the 3rd gen City and the Civic, but for me, it misses the point of owning a City. This car looses the characterstics of it's previous models, except the sweet iVtec petrol engine. I am not saying Ciaz is best car in the segment, for me, Fiesta is, but Ciaz looses the shortcomings of the SX4, and in build quality, I am sure its better than the current city, Vento is still ahead and Fiesta comes second while Linea though very strong has some rough edges.
I am just curious, why Fiesta/Vento were out of question? Becuase of brand perception and maintainance vows? If yes, do you think Fiesta or Vento offers build, hence being safer and long lasting? As these cars are better driver's cars too, won't you agree they are better as a product and as a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I would say this point applies more to Honda than Maruti. Compare the earlier gen City with the newer gen and it's very apparent that that the new City has cut more corners and feels even less solid than the earlier City which itself was not great.

I found the Ciaz to be reasonable in build quality and slightly better than City.

The City excels in the interior design and plastics feel slightly better but both these cars are huge compromise in fit/finish and build quality.
I couldn't agree more. You sir, stole my words there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks