Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2015, 15:44   #1021
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ciaz : Official Review

Hi Everyone,

Have couple of queries for the team here.
1. City is said to be the benchmark when it comes to a petrol engine. How does Ciaz perform ?
2. What is the real time mileage of Ciaz ?
3. Is the 170 mm ground clearance an issue because of the stretched wheel base ?

Thanks in Advance !!
Old 19th August 2015, 16:00   #1022
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arindam_Nayek View Post
1. City is said to be the benchmark when it comes to a petrol engine. How does Ciaz perform ?
In city conditions, Ciaz is actually better performing with more bottom end torque than City. However the lack of power in Ciaz is felt once you are on the highway and try to cross the 120kmph mark. It is at this speed when the Vtech actually shines.

Quote:
In city traffic, Ciaz is known to give 12-14kmpl easily while the mileage goes upto 18kmpl on Highways. This is with AC on.

Quote:
3. Is the 170 mm ground clearance an issue because of the stretched wheel base ?
According to the short drives that I have done in the Ciaz, ground clearance isn't a problem. Also the ownership reviews here haven't complained about lack of ground clearance.

Do take a test drive before finalising anything. After all its you who will be driving it.

Regards
Shashi

Note from Support: Post edited. Please do not use BOLD in-line quotes while responding to queries. Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 19th August 2015 at 18:02. Reason: See note.
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 17:33   #1023
BHPian

Thank you Shashi. After setbacks from SCross and Jazz we are looking to buy a four wheeler.

Contenders:
Ciaz
Ertiga
TUV 300

Don't call me MAD :-)
Old 19th August 2015, 23:18   #1024
BHPian

So I get a call from a friend's friend who has booked a Ciaz ZXi+ and was worried, and hence wanted to talk to someone who owns it. He was asked by friends and family to cancel the booking and buy the Honda City. I was interested to know why as well. I was busy when he called, and called back later. This was the points given to him to change his mind.

1. Honda City is a proven car. Ciaz is very new. You do not know how it will behave after 5 years. This point, I kind of agree cause we have no clue. Buyers like me were overwhelmed by Ciaz coming from the Maruti stables which is trouble free vehicle if you can ignore the infamous rattles after few years.
2. There is clutch and gear problems. I read a lot of Auto blogs and am close to my Mech as well. Never heard of this one.
3. Maruti is learning how to make a Sedan and hence in the experimenting stage. There is lots of "Technical" issues.

And that's when I said, hold on. Same person told all this? "Different people". I started wondering, how far people can go to pro ve a point. Now, this is the kind of Customers India has. Good and Bad for Maruti. Good, because when it comes to smaller car, having a good track record, people vouch for them. There might be better cars, but people still go for Maruti. Where it goes bad is the habit of believing in track record and not having the ability to try something new is what is making Ciaz not go all out although there is no major complains.

Suzuki has a long way to go before people "believing" that they can make Sedans too and that's when they will get the desired numbers; till then they have to be patient and hold strong.

Oh yes, one of my friend who had booked a Honda City, sat with me in the Ciaz and said, 'Never considered a Sedan from Maruti, but now I change that perception altogether'. He is reconsidering now.

"Honda City" is a brand by itself. Till that trust is imbibed into the Ciaz, they should be happy to be the second inline.
abhisheksircar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 01:00   #1025
BHPian

Can anyone give me the offset value of OEM Ciaz alloys?
Old 20th August 2015, 01:03   #1026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_g_m View Post
Thanks a lot rockporiom. I am going for zdi+. So current discounts are worth.
BTW, Did ciaz ever go for crash testing? What is its rating?
As i said you can never go wrong with either of them. To prove my point, make way
Maruti Ciaz : Official Review-img_20150819_14727.jpg

Traded in my city SV CVT for a dignity brown ciaz zxi AT.

Initial observations

Engine:

Refinement at idle: Ciaz

Refinement above 2k rpm: City

Low end response: Ciaz

Top end power: City

Engine sound quality above 3k rpm: city

Efficiency: ciaz without a doubt

COMFORT:

Seating: CITY ( leagues ahead)

Ride quality: CIAZ

TRANSMISSION:

Responsiveness: CIAZ

Noise levels: CIAZ has lower NVH

QUALITY:

Plastics: City

Fit and finish: Ciaz

Have noticed that the under thigh support even in the front seat is also just average for people 6 feet and above, need to find a work around for this. Tried for hours but couldn't find perfect seating position. My right knee aches after a 150 km drive today. May be using a cushion might do the trick since the pedals are set a bit high.

Overall the car is pretty good for its price. The transmission is much more responsive than the city. Currently getting about 11.5 km/l with 100% A/c in city condition and expecting it to go up.

The car is not underpowered by any means and will actually surprise you with its responsiveness in the city conditions. The steering is heavier than the city and I found to be better as the city's steering was too light at speeds above 100 whereas the ciaz is well weighted even at those speeds. Its only after you want to cross 110 or 120 you realise that there is a slight hesitation due to the difference in power.

The CIAZ AT would build speed effortlessly till about 110 km/h after which the progress becomes slightly slower. You can switch off overdrive to go faster but will compromise efficiency.

Would rate both the cars equally. Both have their own bunch of pros and cons.

Ownership review on its way soon.
rockporiom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 13:57   #1027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post

Congratulations! I did follow you on the other thread and my guess came right on your next car.
Well, Dealer today confirmed that they are able to source Sangria Red from other dealer. I just started paper work in my organization as I will be buying this under company lease policy. If all goes well, will be getting my car by first week of Sep.

I am going for ZDI model, simple reason is to avoid 50K extra road tax. I thought of picking up the pieces that I like in ZDI+ as accessories(mainly, leather seat covers, 16" alloys and leather steering cover). Though it wont me as good as factory fitted, I just thought of saving those extra tax.

Touch screen? I dont like it anyway, when such touch screen HUs come with Android (Not a bad idea!), It would be useful for me to for. Till then, just a mobile holder to use my Samsung s3 for navigation/voice control/streaming .

Family excited and days aren't moving faster
sathya_g_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2015, 14:30   #1028
BHPian

Hi guys

Any idea if a I20 dead pedal can fit the Ciaz. Found the foot rest on 99rpm.com costs about Rs.660 with shipping and taxes.

The ciaz only has a pad on the floor in the form of a dead pedal. The city was better in this aspect with a slight raise.

Completed 500 kms in 4 days. Avg. FE Steady at 12 km/L. Expecting it to increase after first service.

Edit: would also like to add that I finally found a good seating position. The high seats of the ciaz mean that height adjust has to be about 3-4 levels lower than what I kept in the city. The Ciaz also feels lower than the city when you sit inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Ciaz : Official Review-screenshot_20150823143210.png  

Last edited by rockporiom : 23rd August 2015 at 14:37. Reason: Added screenshot
Old 23rd August 2015, 17:42   #1029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arindam_Nayek View Post
I have been driving around my Father's Ciaz ZDi for a while now(First two services completed). And I could answer a few questions of yours.
Firstly the average mileage I am getting is 15 kmpl with a mixed of highway and city running in a ratio of 30:70.
Coming to the ground clearance issue, I would say that this car can maneuver through the potholes of Gurgaon without being scraped at the bottom.

For people who have been commenting that Ciaz feels underpowered, I beg to differ. For city driving, I prefer to keep under the 2000rpm so basically not letting the turbo kick in. If need be for a simple overtake, I just accelerate and the turbo helps me overtake with ease.
Highways I have managed upper three digit marks easily with no sounds telling me the speed!
Overall a brilliant experience with this amazing product from Maruti.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd August 2015 at 23:35. Reason: Removed high speed mentions
deathucider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2015, 19:10   #1030
BHPian

Quote:
Would rate both the cars equally. Both have their own bunch of pros and cons.

Congrats rockporiom. Hope you have a "niggle free" experience with Ciaz. Waiting for your ownership review and hope you cover City AT vs Ciaz AT extensively. Request you to keep updating the ownership review at least for an year so that we get true feedback on City vs Ciaz.
Simhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2015, 19:16   #1031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
Congrats rockporiom. Hope you have a "niggle free" experience with Ciaz. Waiting for your ownership review and hope you cover City AT vs Ciaz AT extensively. Request you to keep updating the ownership review at least for an year so that we get true feedback on City vs Ciaz.
Thanks a lot simhi

Would create the ownership review soon. Currently would update some of my experience on the official review thread till the ownership review is up. Would definately cover the ciaz vs city aspect.
rockporiom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2015, 19:38   #1032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathucider View Post
I

For people who have been commenting that Ciaz feels underpowered, I beg to differ. For city driving, I prefer to keep under the 2000rpm so basically not letting the turbo kick in. If need be for a simple overtake, I just accelerate and the turbo helps me overtake with ease.
Highways I have managed 120-130 mark easily with no sounds telling me the speed!
Overall a brilliant experience with this amazing product from Maruti.
True. Most of the comments about underpower is coming from the fact that this is the same engine that is used in swift/dzire. The fact is it is a VGT, has equal power/weight and better torque/weight ratio than City (diesel) which is considered as a bench mark.

I will be driving home a Ciaz ZDI by next week. Just to make sure that I am not doing a blunder had test driven 20+ Cars from the houses of Renault, Nissan, Fiat, VW, Honda, Hyundai. While there are some beasts of engines in some of these houses, Ciaz is definitely a worthy work horse. In between these Test drives, I had sandwiched a Ciaz TD (atleast driven it for about 50 KM so far!). Ciaz is no slouch yet not a scorcher. It is a well packaged and rounded product from the staple of Maruti. They know what a typical customer want and is evident from their market share.

One hybrid is out, just see how the tables turn around. I am sure Hondas and Hyundais will be already worried about it and if not already, they better start working on their own version of hybrids. Once the oil price climbs up, game will turn completely in favor of Maruti if they are successful in pushing this mild hybrid in their staple.

Quote:
Completed 500 kms in 4 days. Avg. FE Steady at 12 km/L. Expecting it to increase after first service.
That is a damn good FE for a brand new car, is this in City traffic conditions? Actually sounds terrific for me given this is AT.

Last edited by sathya_g_m : 23rd August 2015 at 19:44.
Old 23rd August 2015, 23:19   #1033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_g_m View Post

That is a damn good FE for a brand new car, is this in City traffic conditions? Actually sounds terrific for me given this is AT.
Ahem, not trying to show off but

Maruti Ciaz : Official Review-img_20150823_35683.jpg

This was after driving for about 30 kms after filling up and resetting the MID. No, this is not a complete highway run. This is mixed with highway, city, Bumper to Bumper and waiting for the CM convoy to pass. Would like to mention that this excluded any unnecessary idling. The MID jumped between 13.7 and 15 after taking the picture and now has settled to 15.9 km/l as I write this.

This is with a light foot, not exceeding 100 km/h under any circumstances. Not sticking the engine to a specific rpm and occasionally switch off the Overdrive but when I do that this ciaz becomes like a growling dog and pulls cleanly. The kick down accelaration is savage for a car that has only 130 nm torque. It pushes you back in the seat.

I tried it first yesterday and felt like a baby who has found a new play toy

Drive slow and then suddenly stomp it, count up to 1 and then grrrrrrr that sound I love it. I guess the rubber band effect of the CVT in the city never made me realise the amount of torque the city had. Wish I knew what the manual city would have been like.

Completed 540 kms today, looks like first service will be up by next week. Running would go down to 8k a year after I leave for Canada which is on tuesday.

Last edited by rockporiom : 23rd August 2015 at 23:23.
rockporiom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 09:53   #1034
BHPian

I am finding it hard to get accessories price list in Chennai. I booked ZDI with Khivraj who gave me a list which didnt have items like DRL, Spoiler, window sunshade (roll up type). I am going to sit with the accessories manager in next couple of days to get the complete list.
Did any one fit Spolier to Ciaz? How much does it cost? Is that available with MGA?
Old 24th August 2015, 10:51   #1035
BHPian

Saw the new ciaz in flesh - on the highway yesterday. Loved its rear

The fit & finish looked pretty good. However, it sounded pretty noisy when they drove in & departed the restaurant which surprised me.

Didnt really peep in to check, but it had 3 on board and felt it was planted on the road when moving (straight line). The acceleration was not great (well, it could be the driver - but he was driving rash & fast) from what i saw & our car was able to catch up very easily after the toll. Mebbe I was expecting it to blast away like a rocket compared to our humble Ertiga.

Saw another new one on my way back as well. Wasn't expecting to find another of it again so quickly. Looks like Maruti are selling quite a few of these then.

Somehow, it reminded me of the Mitsubishi Lancer (not cedia - the initial one here) when I saw it on the road yesterday.

Overall, looked good. But failed to make an impression really. Was not able to position it mentally - does it really go into the 15L big sedan / executive car range? It did feel like a big car rolling in with a differentiating presence, but something amiss. Not sure what, but somehow that "class" aspect was missing :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks