Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2014, 16:59   #61
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ciaz : Official Review

Great review. Was eagerly waiting for this.

It would have been a sure-shot winner it if it had better engine options. As an ex-SX4 owner (had petrol variant and driven it for over 1 Lakh KMS before selling it off), the build quality now definitely seems excellent when compared to what was offered in SX4. What the old SX4 will score over this new sibling was the engine performance. It was so much fun to drive around and was a beast on the highways.

As someone rightly mentioned, current engine options are best suited for sedate driving style or for being chauffeured around. It will not inspire enthusiasts. Would have loved for Maruthi to have something to please enthusiasts as well.
skotha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 17:11   #62
BHPian

I read the review a couple of times, though had some problem with the browser not downloading all the contents

Is the Ford Fiesta not a competitor in this segment, did not see anyone using it for comparison

Except the rear space it has most of the things for a sub ten lakh car, anyone saying

Cheers
Old 6th October 2014, 17:11   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

For Bangalore members, here is the price list (OTR)
Maruti Ciaz : Official Review-20141006_165531.jpg

This is the V variant (basic with steel rims.)
Maruti Ciaz : Official Review-20141006_155819.jpg
Maruti Ciaz : Official Review-20141006_155915.jpg

Bangalore Ciaz gets displayed, Z (diesel variant), all excited to check interiors!
Maruti Ciaz : Official Review-20141006_155115.jpg
Maruti Ciaz : Official Review-20141006_155433.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th October 2014 at 17:25.
volkman10 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 17:29   #64
Senior - BHPian

Amidst the overdose of fluidic styling in C2 segment this looks clean & yet not-overtly-boring. Pricing is a tad bit optimistic but it might just work out as its a MARUTI ?

As rightly mentioned in the review this will be the car for most of the chauffeur-driven owners, thanks to the immense space, comfortable seating and still not as boring looking as the scala/sunny.

But what am interested in is the new 1.5L diesel that Suzuki apparently is working on? That, on this chasis might just do what the new 1.5L 4cyl mill did for Polo. Just a thought.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 17:40   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The Ciaz runs the risk of ageing quickly as well.
Why do you say that? Purely because of the styling? Actually I have a feeling there's a 'timless' factor here. Remember the old Honda City and how many people still like it? And we know lot of people still prefer the old Linea's appearance to the face-lifted version, right?

I especially like the front and the profile very much. The "rear view" not as much, but still okay for me. If only I wasn't driving a sedan with the same diesel engine, this could have been my next car!

Quote:
Pedals are well spaced. Dead pedal is actually just a pad in the space between the clutch and waterfall console:
It's like the folks at Maruti/Suzuki saying, "Right, now let's see who complains about the sorely missing dead-pedal"
Old 6th October 2014, 17:46   #66
BANNED

I walked across to the big, famous, oldest Maruti dealership a couple of hundred metres from my office a few minutes ago. About 4-5 customers in the showroom, for all brands, despite it being a holiday, a crowd of dealer staff around the demo and display cars making it impossible for real potential customers to get anywhere near the two cars on display, and a wide range of stories from the showroom staff designed to fit the question and make even the most determined of buyers think twice.

For example -

# What's the waiting list? (Answer, without asking me which variant, 3-4 months)
# Can you show me the break-up of on-road price if my previous vehicle has 65% NCB? (Answer, that will be applicable only if you do exchange)
# Can I take a test drive or sit in the car? (Answer, right now the demo and test drive cars are busy)

I am getting a sinking feeling, and also beginning to think that the present engine options may be just like the Maruti-1000 saga, or am I being very careful?

Up close, may I please add, the car does look like City met Sunny and got re-named.
malq is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 17:59   #67
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review!
The million $ question remains - will this surpass the sales of SX4?

Overall Maruti has been very clever. They did not want to invest spend much on the engine; instead they gave a ton of equipment and creature comfort -things which the common man finds more useful.

Simply clever, Maruti.

This will surely take away users from Dzire (and you might find many pre-owned Dzire's in the market soon).
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 18:21   #68
BHPian

I like the car. I think this would sell.
The engines are a bit of a concern but if they can power the Ertiga then should do well in the Ciaz as well.The i20 petrol has been selling for ages and how many really buy the GT TSI/TDI Polos compared to the normal ones?
Good buy for people looking for a fuss free sedan to be driven mostly in the city. The Maruti has matched the Hyundais in terms of equipment levels!!

Well done Maruti.Hope they introduce the bigger engines in this car as options later.

Quote:
One of the rare cars to use 'lower case' alphabets for the model name:
The Kizashi and the A-star had it, hope this doesnt meet the same fate.
saion666 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 18:22   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by malq View Post
make even the most determined of buyers think twice.
Hahaha... Makes me wonder if sales staff (this true across almost all brands) go through a special training to piss customers to keep bookings from piling up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malq View Post
I am getting a sinking feeling, and also beginning to think that the present engine options may be just like the Maruti-1000 saga, or am I being very careful?
I had forgotten about it, but now recollect how M1000 became a joke once the 1.3L esteem arrived. In general, Maruti's cars have been quite good from an engine performance perspective (Zen, Esteem, Baleno, Swift, Ritz, Alto K10...), and, I can't recollect when was the last time (excluding the 1000, when there was no competition) Maruti launched a car that came at the bottom of the segment in terms of engine performance. This seems to be the case for Ciaz-P, so I don't think you are being too careful.

Last edited by Su-47 : 6th October 2014 at 18:25. Reason: Fixed typos and grammar
Su-47 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 18:28   #70
BHPian

After a month or so of Hype, the cats out of the bag. I sincerely feel that this is one Maruti that is over priced. Yes, this one is about a lakh or so cheaper than Honda City (Top end comparison). But, it sorely misses on the key aspect i.e. drivability. The engines are too long on the tooth. Also, the Ciaz misses on certain features like the missing sixth cog, Sunroof, Cruise control and the touch screen infotainment system. Yes, you read that right. The touch screen infotainment was present only in the cars sent to the media and is not a part of the final product.

Now, when you cut down on these features and plonk in an underpowered engine, I am sure Maruti could have been slightly more aggressive on the pricing. Anyway, that’s history and City will stay on to see another bout in the ring.

Last edited by neethi_raj : 6th October 2014 at 18:42. Reason: Missed a missing feature
neethi_raj is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 18:30   #71
D4D
BHPian

I have to say I'm impressed.
There's no denying that the Ciaz does well for ~80% of the people out there and the fact that it's a Maruti Suzuki will help it sell. And sell well too.

What type of AT is coming? (If TQ, how many speeds?)

Having said that, I'm disappointed that the engines are not that impressive.

I know it may not make complete sense to produce the 1.6 l petrol only for one car, but the trend among buyers will change considering the hike in price of diesel.

After hearing the rumors of S-cross having a 1.6 l diesel from peugoet, I don't get why MSIL couldn't start import/production of the 1.6 l diesel early for Ciaz and Ertiga.

I'm against the move of MSIL using the 1.3 MJD right from Ritz to Ciaz.

Slightly OT: (Saving Maruti from excessive criticism)

Even worse: From the Micra(pulse too) and Logan(~65 bhp), Renault uses thier old school K9K uptil the Fluence(~110bhp). Trivia: It also powers a few Merc A-class. (Not in India though)
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault...e#Applications

Last edited by D4D : 6th October 2014 at 18:37.
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 18:43   #72
BHPian

Re: Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
[center][left]Pricing:

1.4L VXI+ AT = 8.65 lacs,
Just 1 airbag for automatic, common on Maruti you can do better.
IMO, Maruti should design a separate steering wheel for premium cars. Steering from the same family of cars eliminates segmentation. Me as a prospective owner will think twice before buying.

Regards Nikhil
nsbhagwat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 18:51   #73
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for the review. Very nice effort. Little disappointed that the 1.4 petrol is not included. Hope it gets added soon, as GTO mentioned.

Its a decent car with a Maruti brand. From the review its clear that the diesel has a turbo lag and best used for relaxed driving. It would have been great of Maruti had at least provided a 1.6L petrol engine as an alternate option to 1.4, like Verna.

I am also i find the lack of under-thigh support/knees up position in rear seats surprising. If this is a chauffeur oriented are - as it looks like it is - this is a major disconnect.
SkyWalker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 18:53   #74
Team-BHP Support

Features comparison. Entry levels variants are City are bare-bones spec, only saving grace being the standard inclusion of ABS and driver airbags.

Maruti Ciaz : Official Review-ciaz_exteriors.jpg
Maruti Ciaz : Official Review-ciaz_interiors.jpg
Maruti Ciaz : Official Review-ciaz_comfort.jpg
Maruti Ciaz : Official Review-ciaz_safety.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 19:06   #75
BHPian

I just returned from a TD of the Ciaz and the one word that describes this car is "Practical". I am impressed with the actual design of the car, non offensive and timeless. It may not be a head turner for sure but it surely looks well proportioned and a welcome break from the Now monotonous inspirations of the City and Verna.

The display and TD Vehicle were both ZDI in Brown and White respectively.

Key Observations:

- Negligible diesel engine clatter even at 100-120. The Diesel clatter is evident on the outside at idle, but on the inside there is minimal sound. It is light years ahead in terms of refinement when compared to the City's diesel engine
- 1.3 L Engine not a deal breaker, pulled up to 120 effortlessly with 3 on board
- The interior quality is "good" if not exceptional. Much better than the City which looks just "wanna be". The interiors cannot be termed cheap by any standards
- The Dash Layout is premium and feels very European
- The Faux wood partition makes the layout look premium and isn't a cheap shade like the one used in many cars
- The Music system with Bluetooth on the ZDI looks better integrated with the dash than the Touch Screen on the ZDI+ which looks after market
- The projectors look great
- According to the Dealer, the ZDI+ deliveries will only start towards end of December or early 2015
- The associate seemed very well trained on the feature list as well as the edge over the competition on various factors
- At the risk of sounding repetitive, Maruti has done a Brilliant job of damping and keeping the engine noise to negligible. Did not feel like a diesel even at high speeds

This Car has everything going for it including the pricing which seems fairly competitive. True it's not an enthusiasts dream drive, but then even some of us enthusiasts double hat as practical Family People where this car will definitely appeal to the head if not the heart.

Quoting from GTO's ownership on one of his cars; not every car in the house needs to be an enthusiasts delight. This Car is just that practical daily drive, spacious, efficient and good looking and most importantly has the reliability that Maruti is known for.

The brand name is both a positive and negative for this car; however the negative can change with real time examples in the XUV, Verna and Elantra. People need to have a look at the product before really terming the City "Premium"

Last edited by amit_2025 : 6th October 2014 at 19:12.
amit_2025 is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks