Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2014, 18:12   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
Thanks hillsnrains. That would be of great help. I am planning to book in about a month and half (as i have some commitment now). Please let me know the details.

Cheers
I have interacted with both. I would suggest get quotations from both & peg them against each other, then go for the kill

But insist on doing your PDI in their yard & ask for a vehicle not older than 3 months, these guys can be quite notorious.

My interactions were with Naveen at Vinayak Skoda, quite a nice & cooperative gentleman.
Old 27th December 2014, 17:57   #77
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: My Skoda Rapid 1.5L DSG, Elegance : Initial ownership experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by charansuki View Post
That's good to hear. Ciaz is indeed a good car at an attractive price point. The only reason i didnt go for it is because it did not have an AT but you should seriously consider it keeping in mind the service quality of Maruti and Resale value as well. IMHO, if you are considering Skoda or VW then it should only be for the DSG. If you can live without the DSG then consider other cars seriously. If you love DSG then dont look at other cars, just go for Skoda or VW.

All the best and keep us updated on what you choose. BTW, negotiate harder and you may even get a discount on Skoda
Thoroughly confused between City CVT and Rapid DSG. My explanations below -

Rapid +ves

- Fuel efficient and cheaper to run as I clock close to 2000 kms per month
- Minimalist designing and interiors suit my taste
- Built like a tank
- And obviously DSG
- 40k cash discount and no EMI till 2016

Rapid -ves

- DSG and notorious nature
- Skoda ASS
- Low resale and demand
- Only 2014 model under "Buy in 2014 and Pay in 2016 scheme"

City CVT +ves

- Brilliant package and reliability
- Larger foothold
- Excellent ASS and resale value
- Reliability of Honda
- Will get a 2015 VIN

City CVT -ves

- Petrol engine only
- CVT does not even come close to DSG
- Overtly styled - No offence to admirers but not to my taste
- No discounts whatsoever

Any pointers and opinion will be helpful. Difference in EMI of the variants I am looking at is negated by fuel bills.
Old 28th December 2014, 11:38   #78
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
Thoroughly confused between City CVT and Rapid DSG.
Your decision should be very easy.

@2k kms a month, the diesel makes more sense coupled with the better fuel efficiency.
The newer DSGs have hardly had any failures that have been reported on Rapids.
You like the Rapid's interiors.
The lower resale is easily compensated by EMI free one year and the FTD factor of the Rapid.
Old 28th December 2014, 12:02   #79
BHPian

Quote:

Rapid +ves

- Built like a tank
- And obviously DSG

Rapid -ves

- Skoda ASS
- Low resale and demand

City CVT +ves

- Larger foothold
- Reliability of Honda
- Will get a 2015 VIN

City CVT -ves

- Petrol engine only

Any pointers and opinion will be helpful. Difference in EMI of the variants I am looking at is negated by fuel bills.
A diesel car makes more sense than a Petrol car and Rapid should be the ideal choice. I chose Rapid MT over the DSG fearing reliability of the DSG though I was really very interested in buying a DSG because female family members can also drive the car (I am a MT fan!!).

In terms of the ongoing discounts and offers, you can choose either cash discount or the emi scheme for the manual transmission cars. The Sales person from one of the dealer here in Bangalore said that this is applicable for the DSG cars as well. But you say both no emi and cash discounts are available. Please confirm with the Dealer once.

Also the no emi scheme for the DSG cars are more dearer than the MT cars. I got to understand that the interest rates are close to the normal car loan rates from the banks.

I really don't appreciate any great benefit in the no EMI scheme. According to me, it is better to take a car loan for 3 years and close off all the emi if you plan to sell the car after a period of 5-6- years.

Also be careful with the pre-closure charges with this particular scheme. I don't have any information regarding the same.

One more pointer - The A.S.S of Honda is no greater than the Skoda, at least in Bangalore. The resale value of the City is great only if you sell off your car before the next gen City is released. Nevertheless still the resale value of City should be better than Rapid.

Last edited by rki2007 : 28th December 2014 at 12:05.
Old 29th December 2014, 08:44   #80
BHPian

Quote:

Rapid +ves

- Built like a tank
- And obviously DSG

Rapid -ves

- Skoda ASS
- Low resale and demand

City CVT +ves

- Larger foothold
- Reliability of Honda
- Will get a 2015 VIN

City CVT -ves

- Petrol engine only

Fellow members already suggested to go for diesel which makes sense for me too. According to me CVT gear box is nowhere close to DSG IMO. DSG is pure please to drive that to with 250 Nm toque (of TDI engine), which is a killer combination.

My only advise will be to get the extended warranty (EW) till 5 years and sell the car before the expiry of EW. Still spares of Skoda/VW costs a bomb with questions on reliability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
The newer DSGs have hardly had any failures that have been reported on Rapids
Sir I agree so far DSG's are working fine. But its too early to say Skoda/VW solved the reliability issues of the DSG boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
The A.S.S of Honda is no greater than the Skoda, at least in Bangalore. The resale value of the City is great only if you sell off your car before the next gen City is released. Nevertheless still the resale value of City should be better than Rapid.
I politely disagree with the bold part of your statement. Honda ASS may not be perfect but not that bad as Skoda. I think ASS experience also varies between dealers/cities. But that difference is very less for Skoda dealers, all are equally bad .
Old 29th December 2014, 14:25   #81
BHPian

Hi hillsnrains, Please let us know the FE you are getting in city traffic. I heard that DSG can do wonder in crawling traffic like in Delhi. Please confirm you numbers till now.
Old 29th December 2014, 14:51   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudharysaab View Post
Hi hillsnrains, Please let us know the FE you are getting in city traffic. I heard that DSG can do wonder in crawling traffic like in Delhi. Please confirm you numbers till now.
Sorry mate,
I own a MT, not DSG. Please see my signature, mine is 2011 MT Rapid that to from the first batch after launch. I have test driven a DSG but doesn't own one. As per my resources FE numbers of DSG are at par with MT Rapid's, which itself is a great achievement for an AT car. As you said rightly DSG is a boon to drive in B2B traffic.

According to my knowledge crawling traffic plus hot weather (compared to western countries) is the primary reason for multiple DSG failures in India.
Old 30th December 2014, 07:33   #83
BHPian

Quote:

Rapid +ves

- Built like a tank
- And obviously DSG

Rapid -ves

- Skoda ASS
- Low resale and demand

City CVT +ves

- Larger foothold
- Reliability of Honda
- Will get a 2015 VIN

City CVT -ves

- Petrol engine only

You are lucky to get discounts on DSG. No schemes, no discounts in Hyderabad. Like you, I'm equally confused but not between DSG and CVT as DSG is lightyears ahead in comparison, my confusion is to whether to go in for Skoda at all. Since in my city there is only one dealer, he is adamant to not offer any discounts/schemes whatsoever. The inconsistency in schemes from city to city depicts Skoda's lack of control & governance over its dealers. That said, everytime I remember my DSG's ride, that silky smooth, linear power delivery, my heart takes over
Old 2nd January 2015, 08:41   #84
BHPian

Unable to make up my mind, gone in for yet another test drive of Rapid DSG. As I entered the showroom, I spotted this beautiful DSG being delivered. The owner was ecstatic as expected. Briefly chatted with him and found out that it was his third Skoda and he was pretty fine with the A.S.S. Assuring to hear that.

I told the Sales person about my predicament and requested for an longish TD this time. And took a Cappuccino Beige DSG for a spin. The SA guys were so used to seeing me around in the showroom that they handed over the keys without bothering their driver to bring it to the drive area. There was only one person who accompanied us rather than three earlier. Fired the engine and the beauty rolled. This time I wanted to decide for once and for all so told my plans to the Sales Person. Fortunately being 1st of January, no crowds in showroom. The drive this time was even more intoxicating than earlier. The way the power was being delivered , not only put the smile on my face but my wife's too who almost coaxed me to go in for Ciaz. I tested all modes of DSG, D, S and manual. Don't have words to explain how beautifully the engine is mated to DSG gearbox. I noticed that in manual mode, the gearbox doesn't upshift above than 5th gear, something that @Charansuki may confirm.
The suspension is also awesome on rough patches.

At the end of the elaborate TD, every practical comparison list that we charted out to to not to go in for Rapid DSG went off our heads and we were clear about it. We are going ahead for the DSG!!
Attached Thumbnails
2014 Skoda Rapid 1.5L DSG : Official Review-20150101_133612_hdr.jpg  

abhi_d is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 10:18   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_d View Post
Unable to make up my mind, gone in for yet another test drive of Rapid DSG. As I entered the showroom, I spotted this beautiful DSG being delivered. The owner was ecstatic as expected. Briefly chatted with him and found out that it was his third Skoda and he was pretty fine with the A.S.S. Assuring to hear that.

I told the Sales person about my predicament and requested for an longish TD this time. And took a Cappuccino Beige DSG for a spin. The SA guys were so used to seeing me around in the showroom that they handed over the keys without bothering their driver to bring it to the drive area. There was only one person who accompanied us rather than three earlier. Fired the engine and the beauty rolled. This time I wanted to decide for once and for all so told my plans to the Sales Person. Fortunately being 1st of January, no crowds in showroom. The drive this time was even more intoxicating than earlier. The way the power was being delivered , not only put the smile on my face but my wife's too who almost coaxed me to go in for Ciaz. I tested all modes of DSG, D, S and manual. Don't have words to explain how beautifully the engine is mated to DSG gearbox. I noticed that in manual mode, the gearbox doesn't upshift above than 5th gear, something that @Charansuki may confirm.
The suspension is also awesome on rough patches.

At the end of the elaborate TD, every practical comparison list that we charted out to to not to go in for Rapid DSG went off our heads and we were clear about it. We are going ahead for the DSG!!
Great news! So will it be a 2014 make or a 2015 one? What kind of a deal were you able to strike?
Old 2nd January 2015, 10:34   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Great news! So will it be a 2014 make or a 2015 one? What kind of a deal were you able to strike?
No deal at all, no discounts here in Hyderabad. But they assured 2015 make
Old 4th January 2015, 17:37   #87
BHPian

Quote:
No deal at all, no discounts here in Hyderabad. But they assured 2015 make
Please add me to the list then. Listened to my heart and just booked a Skoda Rapid DSG in Delhi few minutes back! Yuhuuuu!
Old 4th January 2015, 20:53   #88
BHPian

Many congratulations on your new ride. Economy of diesel+ convenience of automatic is something to die for.
Toffee brown is truly a splendid colour. A pity you couldn't get your Rapid in that colour. Skoda, wake up! What's the point of offering a particular colour and refusing to sell a car with that very colour.
Wish you many exciting miles ahead.
Drive safe.
Old 4th January 2015, 21:52   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Please add me to the list then. Listened to my heart and just booked a Skoda Rapid DSG in Delhi few minutes back! Yuhuuuu!
Wow!! Abhjain. So good to know that. Just to tell you that in Delhi there are discounts available for the 2014 make (as much as 77k), however if you are going in for 2015 make then I can't say. Anyways which color you are going for??
Old 5th January 2015, 05:13   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Wow!! Abhjain. So good to know that. Just to tell you that in Delhi there are discounts available for the 2014 make (as much as 77k), however if you are going in for 2015 make then I can't say. Anyways which color you are going for??
Hey man, I got a 2014 VIN but a discount of about 43K. Who has given you the feedback for 77K? I need to check with other dealers as well then.

Most Viewed