Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2014, 10:59   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2014 Skoda Rapid 1.5L DSG : Official Review

Very crisp review and pretty good VFM car too. I have driven the older manual version and have to say that the car was quite decent package, wish it had a slightly stiffer suspension that's all. But with the DSG box it would be quite fun to drive. And interior bits seems to have improved too. Hope the dealer and workshop gremlins are sorted out soon.

Oh the all black looks quite yummy!
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 13:02   #32
Senior - BHPian

As the sales figures indicate, the Rapid is doing quite poorly and so is VW's Vento. It isn't solely because of the company's poor reputation when it comes to reliability or after sales experience but also because the cars have been around since 2010 without any significant changes apart from the wide range of powerplants on offer. Even with the DSG+Diesel combo, the Rapid may not taste similar success to the MT versions of the City, Ciaz or Verna, and that is purely because the design has begun to show its age - both interiors and exteriors. Skoda should have showed its seriousness towards India by launching the 2015 Rapid instead of this car with a minor makeover.

Name:  Capture1.PNG
Views: 8189
Size:  738.8 KB

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 26317
Size:  783.5 KB

Picture Source
S2!!! is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 13:26   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
You did not get my point.

The transparent flap is given on the rest of the Skoda cars sold in India. Why leave the Rapid out and provide this cheap holder that juts out of an otherwise clean central console.
I got your point, and I know that this flap is available in other Skoda cars, as i happen to own a Laura, and I can tell you from my experience, it is not of great utility, as it is not very convenient to reach. I always end up keeping the parking tickets in one or the other cubby hole. So, this location is better IMO as it is easier to reach. I buy your point that it may look like an eyesore and the execution may have been better. In fact, they could have provided a ticket holder under the headlight switch like some other cars do.
Old 16th October 2014, 15:48   #34
BHPian

Excellent review. Even though it is aged, it looks much better than most of its competitors. I am not a big fan of either Hyundai's fluidic concept as they tend to overdo it or the new City. I still feel this is the best looking car on this side of 15 Lakh segment. I hope all the issues with the gear box reported earlier are fixed wit this release.
Old 16th October 2014, 16:15   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Cheap is the word! But why? When the Fabia, Octavia, Laura, Yeti and Superb all get a neat transparent plastic flap tucked between the windshield and the A-pillar on the driver side, why not use the same part?

Attachment 1299278

That said, kudos to Skoda for providing cruise control on the facelift. That and the halogen projectors gives it an edge over the facelifted Vento.

Great review Anshuman.
I personally feel the the location provided in Rapid is better. I like to keep my front windshield clean. The switches have a nice feel in Skoda/VW, hence the card holder will also be of good quality.
Old 16th October 2014, 16:32   #36
BHPian

@ .anshuman : A very well written review and the driving experience on the Rapid DSG has really come across well while reading your review.

Tempting to buy the DSG, at such a price its definitely a superb value for money proposition ( the best part is the mileage), i have no clue why VAG / Skoda are not offering the warranty on the DSG knowing that in India they have a bad reputation for ownership costs! Hoping the DSG never strands anyone.

The black theme looks awesome with the white paint in my opinion (pic from Skoda India website)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Skoda should have showed its seriousness towards India by launching the 2015 Rapid instead of this car with a minor makeover.
I believe the face lifted Skoda Rapid for India ( with the new Skoda front grille et al) is being worked on by Mahindra Engineering Services , Team BHP link below

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3415750
Attached Thumbnails
2014 Skoda Rapid 1.5L DSG : Official Review-rapid_1.5_dsg.png  

The Observer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 21:21   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Observer View Post

I believe the face lifted Skoda Rapid for India ( with the new Skoda front grille et al) is being worked on by Mahindra Engineering Services , Team BHP link below
But in any case, I suppose this will take more than a year. A replacement of engine without design changes. The Skodas have brought it in as the "new" Rapid. So, even if Mahindra is working on a new India specific design, I think it will not be earlier than a year.
Old 16th October 2014, 22:23   #38
BHPian

Excellent review @.anshuman. Thanks a ton! The Rapid is a pretty good car with oodles of power, enough to keep the Men behind the wheel smiling. The DSG is one scintillating equipment, reliability being the only(a big one) fly on this piece of metal cake. The infamous A.S.S. of Skoda is mending its ways now, as I heard from some friends who go into one of these for a regular service & repairs.
Old 17th October 2014, 11:33   #39
BHPian

The Rapid does get cruise control that the Vento does not. What does the Rapid miss that the Vento has?
Old 17th October 2014, 12:21   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_and View Post
The Rapid does get cruise control that the Vento does not. What does the Rapid miss that the Vento has?
1. Relatively better A.S.S
2. Some minor features like ash tray/lighter etc.

But IMHO Rapid is the better VFM package compared to Vento with slightly higher mileage, projector lights, cruise control
ssateesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2014, 12:35   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_and View Post
What does the Rapid miss that the Vento has?
Flat-bottomed steering with voice and MFD controls on the steering wheel, footwell lights, driver and co-driver airbags standard on all the variants.
Old 17th October 2014, 13:30   #42
BHPian

I just hope that this launch does not mean that Skoda does not launch the new Rapid with updated design philosophy till Diwali next year. :(
Old 17th October 2014, 14:04   #43
Senior - BHPian

Am i the only one who thinks that the 'Black Edition' looks hideous?

Like a middle aged portly man who decided to borrow his daughter's goth makeup.

Other than that,a very good review which really highlights how a DSG works for first time DSG users,which i guess this car is going to attract many.

Does the Rapid 1.5tdi DSG come with the multi link rear suspension?

How exactly is VW positioning both the Vento DSG and Rapid DSG? To a person who doesn't own a car from either stable,i cant see much of a difference from a brand stand point. Infact,if i had to go for one,i would pick the Vento just because its the lesser when when it comes to reliability and after sales support.

Last edited by avishar : 17th October 2014 at 14:07.
avishar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2014, 14:39   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post

Like a middle aged portly man who decided to borrow his daughter's goth makeup.

Other than that,a very good review which really highlights how a DSG works for first time DSG users,which i guess this car is going to attract many.

How exactly is VW positioning both the Vento DSG and Rapid DSG? To a person who doesn't own a car from either stable,i cant see much of a difference from a brand stand point. Infact,if i had to go for one,i would pick the Vento just because its the lesser when when it comes to reliability and after sales support.
I also did not like the "black edition". Seems overdone and like it is trying too hard to be cool and sinister.

The car will surely attract a lot of city dwellers who do the occasional weekend highway trip. But I am not sure how many of them will finally put their money down on it for reasons like reliability, after sales etc.

No, the car comes with a torsion beam rear. Multi-link rear is becoming a real rarity these days, even the new Octavia offers it only on the 1.8TSI!
Old 17th October 2014, 14:47   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
While i love Black Elements on styling, this one is not to my taste. With the aged styling, there is nothing sporty looking about this car. I do not like this Black edition. The Alloys on the Normal car look much better.

Quote:
No Rapid is a Polo based sedan, none of the VW group cars from this segment get Multilink setup at rear and i do not see any need for it either.

Even for the Octavia Diesel, the Twist Beam setup is wonderfully set up, except for the slight drumming noise i did not find it to be a compromise at all.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks