BHPian

Re: Renault Duster AWD : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
What you’ll like:
• A very competent softroader. AWD system can take you places no 2WD can

What you won’t:
• Not a hardcore offroader like the Jeep & Gypsy 4x4s
Has anyone modded (or even thought about modding) the Duster to make it more of a hardcore off-road contender? Now before making uncharitable comparisons to the Fortuner, Pajero Sport, Thar, Gypsy, Gurkha, etc., please keep in mind that the Duster may be an ideal second (or even only) vehicle for Indian weekend warriors on a budget. God knows it makes for a better daily ride than the Thar, Gypsy and Gurkha (and some contend that riding in the rear of a Duster AWD is easier on the stomach than the Fortuner). Compromise is the name of the game, and I'm sure many BHP-ians would probably find a decently-priced and relatively comfortable daily drive with above average off-roading capabilities very enticing.

While browsing the interwebs I came across some interesting mods done in Romania on a Dacia Duster, including the following:

- Warrior Samurai S8000 12V Winch
- Limited slip differential Locker4Duster
- Ironman Duster + 5 cm Suspension Kits
- Dacia Duster Snorkel
- Dacia Duster Winch holder
- ET40 Steel Rims + MT Tires
- Dacia Duster Engine Skid Plate
- Gas tank Skid Plate Dacia Duster
- Differential Skid Plate Dacia Duster
- Race chip PRO 143 CP

And here are a few pics showing the modded Duster's articulation and water wading capabilities:

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-dsc_0985.jpg

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-daciadusteroffroadtuningmudstertest7.jpg

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-daciadusteroffroadtuningmudstertest8.jpg

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-dsc_1094.jpg

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-dsc_1156.jpg

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-dsc_11081.jpg

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-dsc_1161.jpg

Rehaan, Tejas, other gurus: looking forward to your valuable inputs
Hawkeye269 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th March 2015, 10:01   #302
BHPian

MediaNav system update to V 4.0.5 is available , the update has a date stamp of 20150202. This is not a map but a system software update. Updated my system today , went without any hiccups , cannot discern any differences at first glance though! There is no write up provided that lists the changes / updates in the new version. When I purchased my car in Oct 2014 , it came with 4.0.2 , which got updated to 4.0.3 , now the current version seems to be 4.0.5. At least Renault could be more forthcoming on what is contained in the releases.
Old 15th March 2015, 18:57   #303

The New Generation Renault Duster (2WD) was launched last week, my question is whether the AWD model will also gets an uplift soon or will it be the same i.e. 2015 model will be same as 2014 model.
Old 17th March 2015, 13:49   #304
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashantrana View Post
The New Generation Renault Duster (2WD) was launched last week
What are the changes/improvements in the New Generation Duster 2WD that is not in the 4WD version??
Old 17th March 2015, 14:37   #305
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
What are the changes/improvements in the New Generation Duster 2WD that is not in the 4WD version??
I think the changes were mostly to navigation system software etc., nothing really to the core of the vehicle. That said, I think the changes should carry forward to 4WD also!
Old 17th March 2015, 14:49   #306
BHPian

Quote:
None that I can make out. It's essentially AWD minus 4wd system, independent rear suspensions, short gear ratios and hill start assist. Rest is in sync with AWD- extra door weatherstrips, beefed up insulation, instrument cluster and steering.

Last edited by xjosephjacob : 17th March 2015 at 14:50.
Old 17th March 2015, 15:27   #307
BHPian

I need some advice on purchase of Duster.
Being ex armed forces, i get it from CSD also.
Now in CSD I am getting Duster 110 (O) RXZ for Rs 12.5 Lakhs on road.
I have a dealer giving me a solid out of CSD discount on Duster AWD RXL with the price of Rs 12.5 Lakhs on road.
Now my dilemma is that should i forego the host of additional additional features of the RXZ for an RXL AWD with independent suspension. I do not go too much off-roading but yes i do plan trips to Leh and East in times to come.
Thanks in advance
nkghai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 15:31   #308

Quote:
I don't know if there are changes between the two (2WD-4WD)?
It was just said the 2WD gets the following improvements

Quote:
The Duster gains new equipment in 2WD variants, exterior detail changes, improved interior and uprated powertrain.

All Duster variants now get a three-pod instrument cluster with chrome-surrounded dials and white backlight.

The sound deadening inside the cabin has also been improved for added comfort factor, Renault claims.

The engines have been slightly up-tuned for better refinement and driveability.
SOURCE
http://indianexpress.com/article/aut...-rs-8-30-lakh/

So will AWD get a facelift or one can buy the 2014 model?

I spoke with the Customer Care and he said there are no changes between the 2014 and 2015 model.
Old 17th March 2015, 15:33   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
I need some advice on purchase of Duster.
Being ex armed forces, i get it from CSD also.
Now in CSD I am getting Duster 110 (O) RXZ for Rs 12.5 Lakhs on road.
I have a dealer giving me a solid out of CSD discount on Duster AWD RXL with the price of Rs 12.5 Lakhs on road.
Now my dilemma is that should i forego the host of additional additional features of the RXZ for an RXL AWD with independent suspension. I do not go too much off-roading but yes i do plan trips to Leh and East in times to come.
Thanks in advance

You seem to have a soft corner for the independent suspension. I say go for the AWD. And drive to Leh and the (North) East. Cheers!
johy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 16:34   #310
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashantrana View Post
I don't know if there are changes between the two (2WD-4WD)?
It was just said the 2WD gets the following improvements
These changes where first launched in the 4WD in 2014 and then in 2WD in 2015. The changes already are there in the 4WD from 2014..
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2015, 18:51   #311
BHPian

Just wanted to know whether Fiery Red colour is offered in AWD. When I checked with Khivraj Chennai they clearly say red is not offered on AWD however I could find a facebook post of a person who bought Red AWD
Old 22nd March 2015, 08:58   #312
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I went to the Renault Showroom at Noida along with the missus and test drove the Duster AWD. She drove the vehicle as well. She found the vehicle easy to drive and loved the suspension. The Sales Executive tried hard to get us to put a deposit for the car. The deal looked good too ( Rs.11.99 lakh Ex Showroom for a 2014 RZL AWD). However, both of us were unanimous that the car did not feel like a Rs. 13.5 lakh car. The plastics were below average, the seat adjustment system too crude, the car lacked an ACC , just 2 Airbags and no leather upholstery.

We have decided to wait for a while. While my wife likes the XUV 500, I find the exteriors a bit too cluttered. I like the simple lines of the Storme while she finds it a bit too intimidating.

As things stand, we have decided to wait for the S Cross and the Hyundai IX 25. Maybe, Tata Motors will surprise us by bringing in a well equipped Storme/ Hexagon in the next few months.

Renault should have a relook at the pricing of its higher end variants. The Duster surely needs much better interiors as it will be facing Hyundai which is especially strong in this area.

Last edited by rajneeesh : 22nd March 2015 at 09:11.
Old 23rd March 2015, 11:06   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
However, both of us were unanimous that the car did not feel like a Rs. 13.5 lakh car. The plastics were below average, the seat adjustment system too crude, the car lacked an ACC , just 2 Airbags and no leather upholstery.

I tend to agree with you Rajneesh. Does not feel like 13.5 Lakh car.

I have to buy a vehicle soon. Prefer an SUV, so have been test driving all and have to say that i am still not convinced towards buying a Duster and would ideally like to wait for S Cross and IX 25, but don't know if i can wait that long.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 23rd March 2015 at 11:44. Reason: Quote fix
Old 23rd March 2015, 15:13   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by couswheels View Post
Just wanted to know whether Fiery Red colour is offered in AWD. When I checked with Khivraj Chennai they clearly say red is not offered on AWD however I could find a facebook post of a person who bought Red AWD
Red color is not offered in AWD. But I was told they sold only 4 red AWDs across India. Silk board dealer in Bangalore sold one. Four people got lucky. Maybe the one you saw in face book is one of them.
human_wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 10:50   #315
BHPian

My AWD has done about 10500 Kms now and just left it for the second free service.
The service adviser, just like any other adviser in this matter, suggested I go for a body teflon coating and under-body anti-rust coating.
I would like to understand from fellow BHPians on the advantages of the above coatings or they just an eyewash?

Most Viewed