Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2015, 15:18   #421
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Renault Duster AWD : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMan View Post
Anyway, I'm not really complaining. Just hoping they put in the oil they billed me for.
Syntheic oil is definitely good and has longer life. However, they shouldn't make up a story that Duster heats up on regular oil.
Old 26th October 2015, 12:56   #422
BHPian

Hi,

Missed updating a trip report. Cross-posting from another thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post3813963

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-wp_20150926_022001.jpg

Regards,

Pawan
PapaBravo is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 14:04   #423
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Syntheic oil is definitely good and has longer life. However, they shouldn't make up a story that Duster heats up on regular oil.
I don't see thee point in sticking to the 10k service interval if you say that synthetic oil has longer life. And if you decide to do an oil change at more than 10k then you send the car in for service at 10k and for oil change at a later stage and pay more and loose the warranty for not sticking to the recommended service intervals.. When will people get this?

I got the 10k service done recently. I was told about the Synthetic option while preparing the job card and I opted for Mineral Oil. Its half the price of the synthetic alternative. Oil grade is 15W50 for Mineral and 5W50 for Synthetic. The service cost me INR 3,161/- which I found quite reasonable.

A bunch of Other stuff was taken care of with the passenger seat rails being tightened to remove the noise that was bugging me while driving solo. I also asked them to just do Wheel Rotation and Alignment. Specifically told them to not do any Balancing! They did what I asked them to. The paint quality Issue which was raised with the customer care was also addressed with the whole body getting a 3M treatment (FOC) to remove the roughness in the paint which was there from the beginning.

The service was pre booked and went out as planned even though the car was taken in on the day before Dussera and delivered on Dussera day.
Old 27th October 2015, 11:04   #424
Senior - BHPian

My Duster AWD just got back from a 2500km day trip.

Bangalore - Guruvayoor - Munnar - KanyaKumari - Rameshwaram - Dhanushkodi - Pondicherry - Bangalore

I am hoping to come up with writeup soon. In a single sentence, this is easily the best highway car I have driven in a long time! I am so glad I chose Duster!!!
Equus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 16:34   #425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
I don't see thee point in sticking to the 10k service interval if you say that synthetic oil has longer life.
Although the dealers don't like to admit it, the new Duster comes with a maintenance computer like the german cars. It shows you when the service is due based on driving patters. Once you reset it, it is actually 20K until the next oil change. However, if you do a lot of driving in high rpm's it can drop to about 16K. I follow this method for my oil changes rather than the 10K as the the book doesn't mandate 10K service intervals, except for the free services.

However, I do agree with you that if you are sticking to 10K oil changes, then mineral oil will suffice.
Old 27th October 2015, 17:36   #426
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Although the dealers don't like to admit it, the new Duster comes with a maintenance computer like the german cars. It shows you when the service is due based on driving patters. Once you reset it, it is actually 20K until the next oil change. However, if you do a lot of driving in high rpm's it can drop to about 16K. I follow this method for my oil changes rather than the 10K as the the book doesn't mandate 10K service intervals, except for the free services.

However, I do agree with you that if you are sticking to 10K oil changes, then mineral oil will suffice.
OMG! that means that I did an unwanted service because my trip computer service reminder was fixed at 7200 only. I believed that it was an error while setting up the service reminder at the factory and asked them to reset it to the 10k service interval reminder.

This is really amazing stuff...Can you clarify what all data it takes in for showing us the service interval?
Old 27th October 2015, 18:22   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My odo says 8500 but the computer says service is due in another 4000 kms. I hardly ever drove in high RPMs. How do you explain this?
Old 28th October 2015, 19:52   #428
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
How do you explain this?
Two words "Bangalore Traffic". You may drive much less kms compared to on the highway, but your engine does lots of RPMs, due the slow moving traffice and constant first/second gear usage.

Quote:
This is really amazing stuff...Can you clarify what all data it takes in for showing us the service interval?
The basic ones generally have a rev/rpm sensor that figures out how much the engine is driven (not the car). My comment to the equus above explains. One of bangalore traffic will generate much higher usage of engine than one hour of driving in a rural setting. In city traffic you are running the engine and wearing down the oil, even when you are idling in traffic.

The more complex systems used in german cars actually have an oil sensor also. Not sure if duster has this.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2015, 16:54   #429
BHPian

Quote:
I got the 10k service done recently. I was told about the Synthetic option while preparing the job card and I opted for Mineral Oil. Its half the price of the synthetic alternative. Oil grade is 15W50 for Mineral and 5W50 for Synthetic. The service cost me INR 3,161/- which I found quite reasonable.
As far as I'm aware, the grade for synthetic oil is 5W40. At least that is what was put in my car, as the bill suggests.

Quote:

I'm not sure that is how the system in the Duster works. I think it simply is a counter and does not change with the way the car is driven. It counts down from ten thousand. The last service I got done, the service indicator had come on. They gave the car back to me without resetting it. I went back to them and the tech just reset it similar to how we reset the trip meter and fuel consumption. I asked him how he did it and he showed me. Though he told me they are not allowed to disclose it to the customers.
Old 1st November 2015, 15:05   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not sure that is how the system in the Duster works. I think it simply is a counter and does not change with the way the car is driven. It counts down from ten thousand. The last service I got done, the service indicator had come on. They gave the car back to me without resetting it. I went back to them and the tech just reset it similar to how we reset the trip meter and fuel consumption. I asked him how he did it and he showed me. Though he told me they are not allowed to disclose it to the customers.
No, it isn't. Surely the driving pattern & traffic conditions matter.

When i got my car -- the very first day, it said 20Kms to go before the service. However, I had to take it for the 1st free service within 2 months. They didn't reset it during the service. My car has now run just under 9k till date and it says 4k more to go before the service. So its not a simple math..
Old 1st November 2015, 21:54   #431
BANNED

Hi

My Car Battery went Kaput third time in 6 months. First two times battery discharged while on road nd third time it discharged when I was about to move from my home.

Today Exide guy came and checked and told that it will be replaced under warranty.

Also my 10K service is due soon. Need advise what to opt for :

Service Advisor is suggest Wheel Balancing, Rotation and Alignment. Please guide is it necessary to get it done from Workshop or shall I go with outside agency for this.

Also, I'm planning to go for full door beading so that Noise level can be further reduced. Is it advisable or if anyone has got this done then I would like to have his opinion.
Old 2nd November 2015, 14:37   #432
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrographics View Post

Also my 10K service is due soon. Need advise what to opt for :

Service Advisor is suggest Wheel Balancing, Rotation and Alignment. Please guide is it necessary to get it done from Workshop or shall I go with outside agency for this.

Also, I'm planning to go for full door beading so that Noise level can be further reduced. Is it advisable or if anyone has got this done then I would like to have his opinion.
Alignment and rotation for my 10k service cost 580 odd bucks at Renault workshop. I opted out of balancing. Usually it cost something about 12-1300 rupees if you get balancing alignment and rotation done from an outside shop. But the problem is that the shops outside don't take appointments and you'll have to wait. Best is to get it done by Renault service centre.

Once you get the full door beading done please share the cost and your experience as well.
Old 3rd November 2015, 12:22   #433
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrographics View Post
Hi

My Car Battery went Kaput third time in 6 months. First two times battery discharged while on road nd third time it discharged when I was about to move from my home.

Today Exide guy came and checked and told that it will be replaced under warranty.
Got my Car Battery Replaced from Exide under warranty yesterday.
Old 4th November 2015, 10:46   #434
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not sure that is how the system in the Duster works. I think it simply is a counter and does not change with the way the car is driven. It counts down from ten thousand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
No, it isn't. Surely the driving pattern & traffic conditions matter.
Agree with Equus, it is based on driving patterns as my distance to service, keeps decreasing/increasing based on driving conditions and not directly linked to odometer reading at all.
Old 5th November 2015, 15:15   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agree with Equus, it is based on driving patterns as my distance to service, keeps decreasing/increasing based on driving conditions and not directly linked to odometer reading at all.
So, should we follow this advice or go with the 10K kms service advised?
The service center will always "recommend" whats good for them

Most Viewed