Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2016, 10:13   #526
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Renault Duster AWD : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by smekad View Post
@Shankar.Balan, Maybe my question would have alluded to "offroad" usage but as I said, it was more from curiosity than anything else . However, I do not agree that AWD is only needed for off-road reasons.

2. In my stay in US and europe, the AWD cars are popular in areas where it snows a lot. I am not saying that AWD does magic when it snows, but along with proper snow tires/chains AWD does provide a lot more control over the car than otherwise.

3. Even in slippery conditions in india e:g:- when it rains, I do think that an AWD car may be tad bit more safer than an purely FWD car..

Agree, for all above conditions you don't need an "offroad type" AWD system , a regular AWD is just fine.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=Hlnw2SUgY6U

Take a look at my post again. I ve clearly said that most people buy AWD vehicles in places where there is Snow and Ice because of treacherous road conditions.

In India, we've got a bit of slush and sand. Some places do get snow etc but for the most part the lightweight cars like Marutis etc manage perfectly well, just like in rural France and Italy where the common cars are these typical small cars.
Old 22nd March 2016, 10:41   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Take a look at my post again. I ve clearly said that most people buy AWD vehicles in places where there is Snow and Ice because of treacherous road conditions.
Agree .

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
In India, we've got a bit of slush and sand. Some places do get snow etc but for the most part the lightweight cars like Marutis etc manage perfectly well, just like in rural France and Italy where the common cars are these typical small cars.
Don't you feel that an AWD is also useful for slippery surface, not only slush and sand? We do have tropical climate in the southern parts of india, I would assume it would be safer to be in a AWD car in such a case, no?

All I am saying is that an AWD car is safer than FWD for reasons discussed above. So to say that we do not need an AWD is not correct IMHO. It is also very true that AWD does not sell much in india- just like other safety features that comes last in the essential features list for an average indian buyer.

I think we are digressing from the topic- FWD vs AWD has been already discussed in detail in topic below

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...0-fwd-awd.html

Back to duster then
Old 22nd March 2016, 12:17   #528
Team-BHP Support

AWD is good to have and is a bonus or an insurance should one land up in a tricky situation because of weather and or some unforeseen situations. Like, taking a diversion if there is a road-block and it is raining and the terrain is muddy.

We never know what lies ahead of us, especially if you travel and travel a lot [I do and have been in this situation umpteen times]

AWD is necessary, absolutely not, but if someone can afford, should go for it. I personally would skimp on some investments and get an AWD. The benefit of a better ride is also there.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 12:35   #529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smekad View Post
Don't you feel that an AWD is also useful for slippery surface, not only slush and sand? We do have tropical climate in the southern parts of india, I would assume it would be safer to be in a AWD car in such a case, no?
For it to be effective in slippery condition, it has to be full time AWD (which is engaged all the time) like in Forester or Fortuner. In case of part time 4WD (like CRV or Captiva) the 4WD gets engaed when the system detects a slip and it is not exactly lightning fast to react.
Old 22nd March 2016, 12:39   #530
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
In case of part time 4WD (like CRV or Captiva) the 4WD gets engaed when the system detects a slip and it is not exactly lightning fast to react.
But then, one can engage 4WD once the situation demands and can be in control.
Old 22nd March 2016, 12:52   #531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
But then, one can engage 4WD once the situation demands and can be in control.
True, but in many SUVs like Honda CRV, the driver doesn't have manual control over the AWD system.
Old 22nd March 2016, 13:02   #532
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
True, but in many SUVs like Honda CRV, the driver doesn't have manual control over the AWD system.
Is it? Never knew that. Scary.

But IMO, very few if any people would be buying such a car if they need 4WD.
Old 22nd March 2016, 13:32   #533
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
There are two modes in most clutch based softroader on-demand/part -time 4WD systems. In Auto mode, the 4WD system gets engaged when wheel slip is detected automatically, so generally no manual intervention is required. However, in case you find yourself in a tricky situation or know ahead of time, that you are going into a tricky situation you can use the Manual/Lock mode which engages before you get into the situation. I have seen this 4WD lock button in most 4WD Soft Roaders. It is there in the Duster, XUV, Honda, etc, etc...
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 15:30   #534
BHPian

Completed 600km Kerala Trip over the long weekend.

Took the Wayanad route to reach Guruvayur from Mysore. Overnight stay at Kenichira on Friday and Guruvayur on Saturday.
Mysore – Antharasanthe – Nagarhole National Park – Kenichira Wayanad – Thamarassery – Tirur - Guruvayur

Visited Thrissur Puram festival on the way back to Mysore.
Guruvayur – Thrissur – Kunnamakulam – Nilambur – Gudalur – Gundalpet - Nanjangud - Mysore

My parents also joined us for the trip. Car was fully loaded to the brim, with 5 of us and luggage.
Dusty gobbled up the miles with usual ease. The handling was predictable on Winding roads of Kerala.
Old 23rd April 2016, 13:00   #535
BHPian

I faced a very strange problem/ Niggle with my Duster a few days back. I was supposed to drive down to Mangalore from Mysore for a planned family vacation. The night before I was to leave, I saw that there was about 6 bars of fuel in the tank, So I went to my trusted fuel station and got full tank of fuel ( also topped up with 6 liters of diesel after auto cut off). During refueling , the ignition was in " ON" position, although the engine was not running. On starting the car again, I was surprised to see that the fuel gauge was stuck at 6 bars only! Resetting the MID multiple times did not cause any change in fuel gauge reading.

A quick search on similar problem yielded similar complaints from other Duster owners , mainly on UK Dacia forum. The solution people found for this ranged from as simple as waiting till fuel level in tank goes down and then filling up again , to replacement of some sensor in fuel tank. I had no time to take the car to service center, so decided to wait and watch how this niggle behaves.

During the drive to Mangalore this is what I noticed
  • MID was functioning & was showing the amount of fuel consumed since last reset, average and real time fuel economy
  • Distance to empty was not accurate- was stuck at about 420 with a full tank of fuel for a long time
  • during the drive Distance to empty fluctuated a little and was sort of range bound ( between 420-480)

While driving down the ghats after Madikeri, suddenly the fuel gauge started functioning properly ( showing almost full tank as I had just driven 140+ kms after filling up). Even Distance to empty started functioning properly
Have driven the car for almost 1000 kms after that (which included a trip to Ooty also) and the problem has not recurred.

Now can somebody please solve my queries
  1. Has anyone faced a similar problem?
  2. What is the likely explanation regarding the etiology for this behavior?
  3. On what basis does the car calculate the amount of fuel consumed since last reset? Is it based on how much the fuel pump has pumped out of the tank?

P.S. The way the Duster behaved in twisty & hilly roads (during both Mangalore & Ooty trips) was truly amazing.
Zero lag, Excellent Drivability with minimal gear changes, Zero clutch slipping in any situation (even on stop start on relatively steep inclines), with pretty good fuel economy to boot!

Last edited by i_see : 23rd April 2016 at 13:07.
i_see is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2016, 13:47   #536
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For it to be effective in slippery condition, it has to be full time AWD (which is engaged all the time) like in Forester or Fortuner. In case of part time 4WD (like CRV or Captiva) the 4WD gets engaed when the system detects a slip and it is not exactly lightning fast to react.
The newer Torque on Demand AWD systems based on clutch pack based systems are lightning fast to react, and absolutely seamless in operation. They use sensors from ESP system to detect slip, and work together with ESP system for stability control.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2016, 19:23   #537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_see View Post
[*]Has anyone faced a similar problem? [*]What is the likely explanation regarding the etiology for this behavior?
I've faced the exact situation in my Lodgy last year. In my case, the fuel indicator reset itself after 2 days! This problem hasn't recurred since and it's been close to a year now. I just assumed it to be a software glitch and moved on. There's another member here who reported the same problem on his Duster. Since it was a one-off occurrence for me, didn't bother to investigate further.

Good to hear your Duster performed well! The K9K is made for the highways and country roads.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2016, 19:39   #538
BHPian

Thanks for the reply.
I hope it is just a software glitch as you have said.
I am definitely not in a mood to deal with Renault's service team before the next service is due.
Can anybody answer my 3rd question please?

Last edited by i_see : 23rd April 2016 at 19:41. Reason: rephrasing sentence
i_see is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 18:46   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_see View Post
I faced a very strange problem/ Niggle with my Duster a few days back...

..P.S. The way the Duster behaved in twisty & hilly roads (during both Mangalore & Ooty trips) was truly amazing.
Zero lag, Excellent Drivability with minimal gear changes, Zero clutch slipping in any situation (even on stop start on relatively steep inclines), with pretty good fuel economy to boot!
We had a tough time with this issue (not a glitch really but bigger) almost a year back. The service center guys had no clue of the problem and after some running around and discussions back and forth, the issue wss reported to Renault and they ended up advising to change the entire fuel tank. The service center did this for free of course.
If you have noticed this problem once then it is most likely to recur, so better get it checked.

Vikram

NOTE FROM T-BHP SUPPORT: Please avoid quoting the entire post as it may inconvenience small-screen / mobile-phone users. Thanks.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th April 2016 at 19:42. Reason: Please avoid quoting the entire post as it may inconvenience small-screen / mobile-phone users. Thanks :)
nvikram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 10:48   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvikram View Post
We had a tough time with this issue (not a glitch really but bigger) almost a year back.
Thanks for the information. Can you please explain in detail what was the problem faced?
Was it exactly identical to what I faced?
Was the issue constant or intermittent?

Please give some more details

P.S. I did some more research on this issue and found out that Renault & BMW cars are extremely sensitive to refueling with ignition "ON". Some one in UK Dacia forum has strictly recommended to remove key from key slot while refueling.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks