Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2016, 19:10   #541
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Renault Duster AWD : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_see View Post
The night before I was to leave, I saw that there was about 6 bars of fuel in the tank,
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
I've faced the exact situation in my Lodgy last year.
Me three . Fuel tank full but gauge shows 6 bars. Tried to top up twice just to make sure. My friend's duster had the same issue and it eventually went away. I am hoping mine will too...
4x4addict is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 02:05   #542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_see View Post
Thanks for the information. Can you please explain in detail what was the problem faced?
The issue started the first time when my fuel indicator went down to showing a single bar. I usually refill around this time and when I did so, I could refuel but the indicator did not budge from showing 1 bar. I initially thought it could be a faulty indicator and thought of waiting it out until my next refuel or getting some run time.

The issue did fix itself after sometime, so I did not give much heed to it. After a month or so, the same issue recurred. This time around the fuel indicator showed one bar but the fuel tank tip off indicator went off even though I hardly filled a few liltres of fuel. This happened when we were in the middle of long trip and somehow mentally remembered the amount of fuel we put in made through the trip.
Getting back, I promptly took it to the Renault Service Center, where I was asked to leave the car overnight because they had to completely empty the fuel tank and check for the issue. When they did find the issue, it was suspected to be the tip off sensor but they were not entirely sure. I was kind of losing my patience by then and we also wanted to make sure it was not a parts problem and Renault had to be notified. Now this process takes a few days, ie Service Center contacting the OEM and then OEM sends their engineer or advises the Service Center to do a few things.
After a few weeks (we did drive the car with the issue meanwhile), the service center guy said Renault plans to replace the entire fuel tank.
Now we have a replaced fuel tank and the problem has not recurred. Hope that helps. My advise would be to talk to Renault (the OEM) about it.
Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 11:37   #543
BHPian

As far as I have seen. This problem occurs only if you leave the Ignition ON (Engine not necessarily running) while refueling. The system fixes itself in sometime. Since we do not know the exact reason yet, I always take the keys out before refueling.

Also, I made a recent trip to Nathu La in my AWD. AWD was indeed very helpful. My experience penned down here

Regards,

Pawan
Old 2nd May 2016, 00:29   #544
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Ever since the Duster AWD was launched and we tested it in deep mud and slush, I have been a fan of the vehicle. After the initial test, the Dusters belonging to Kolkata team-bhpians have been put through many more challenging situations and every time they have come out victorious. Today my respect for the Duster AWD was further boosted by their jaw dropping performance. There were four Duster AWDs (including one newly launched) today and they went head to head with the mighty Pajero Sport, Thar, Gypsy, Bolero and the Jeeps in a challenging terrain. This is one vehicle that can go places in the hands of a good driver. Some pics from today's off-roading -

PapaBravo's Duster AWD - The Hulk
Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-img_20160501_084428.jpg

GhostRider28's Duster AWD - Girgiti
Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-img_20160501_110008_01.jpg

The newly launched Duster belonging to Varun Kotwal - hats off to this guy for putting a one month old vehicle through this challenge -
Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-img20160501wa0066.jpg
BlackPearl is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 16:08   #545
BHPian

Hello all.

Recently started facing a problem with the Bluetooth connectivity on the entertainment system.

About a month and a half ago, during the regular service, got the entertainment and nav system replaced under warranty since the paint had completely worn off the power button. It was completely white, sticking out like an eyesore. Renault readily agreed to replace it. Everything was working fine.

I use a OnePlus One and recently, there was a software update on the phone. Post this update, the phone connects via Bluetooth, but promptly gets disconnected within 3-5 seconds. As many times as I tried to connect, the same thing happened. I deleted the device from the system and re-paired it, with no results.

The LG unit is running software version 4.0.6. The OS/Software specs of my phone are attached. Any one have any ideas as to why this is happening and how to solve this problem ?
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-screenshot_20160503155727.png  

Old 3rd May 2016, 16:20   #546
BHPian

I think this has been raised previously on this thread. The solution suggested was to download some software for the phone. Please search the earlier posts.
Old 3rd May 2016, 17:04   #547
Team-BHP Support

Since we are discussing the fuel tank issue I have a different type of problem in my AWD. Somewhere after 28-29ltrs of diesel has gone in the auto cut of the dispenser gets triggered. The problem is that after this the vehicle still takes in another 15 liters of diesel easily. However it is a slow and arduous process. This happens unfailingly on each occasion. So much so that nowadays I go for a refill late in the night when generally the pump is empty and the attendant does not freak out.

Has anyone else witnessed this problem? And if so what is the solution to this?

Edit: Related to the above there is one more problem. The fuel gauge bar stays at full for the first 1 week irrespective of all the daily driving. And then suddenly it starts falling thereafter at regular intervals.

Last edited by Zappo : 3rd May 2016 at 17:08.
Old 3rd May 2016, 17:24   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Since we are discussing the fuel tank issue I have a different type of problem in my AWD. Somewhere after 28-29ltrs of diesel has gone in the auto cut of the dispenser gets triggered. The problem is that after this the vehicle still takes in another 15 liters of diesel easily. However it is a slow and arduous process. This happens unfailingly on each occasion. So much so that nowadays I go for a refill late in the night when generally the pump is empty and the attendant does not freak out.

Edit: Related to the above there is one more problem. The fuel gauge bar stays at full for the first 1 week irrespective of all the daily driving. And then suddenly it starts falling thereafter at regular intervals.
This is normal behavior as the fuel tank has a very long and narrow mouth from the inlet that makes it harder for the air in the tank to escape when filling. Even though there are two valves which are there to help, one cannot escape this.

I have noticed that the fuel indicator stays at the full position till about 20 litres have been consumed. Pretty much normal for this car.
Old 3rd May 2016, 17:43   #549
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMan View Post
This is normal behavior as the fuel tank has a very long and narrow mouth from the inlet that makes it harder for the air in the tank to escape when filling...
It is more like an anomalous behavior then specific to this car. I don't think the autocut getting triggered before another 15 liters can go in can be termed a normal behavior by any standard. And of course that fuel gauge also is of hardly any use then since it becomes very difficult to figure out how much has been actually consumed from the last fill.

So what do you folks do? Live with that autocut stop or plead the attendant to keep pumping in slowly when other irritated drivers behind start honking?

Last edited by Zappo : 3rd May 2016 at 17:44.
Old 3rd May 2016, 17:50   #550
BHPian

Quote:
And of course that fuel gauge also is of hardly any use then since it becomes very difficult to figure out how much has been actually consumed from the last fill.
Regarding this issue, my observation has been that "Fuel consumed since last reset" shown in MID is the most accurate & most reliable option.

Quote:

As with most cars, fuel gauge of Duster also moves in a non linear fashion and I do not rely on it too much.

Last edited by i_see : 3rd May 2016 at 17:57. Reason: Quoting the original post
Old 11th May 2016, 11:55   #551
BHPian

Hi, This is my 40000 KM service bill. Total came to Rs.15292/- .

Did not pay the windshield washer fluid bill, as I had specifically instructed otherwise. ( I see no value in a Rs.2/- sachet of shampoo being charged Rs.45/- )

My usual fuel mileage had dropped to 12-13 km/L, which earlier used to be 14-15km/L for the same pattern of driving. .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Duster40K service bill1.PDF (58.3 KB, 442 views)
File Type: pdf Duster40K servicebill2.PDF (31.5 KB, 415 views)
Old 16th May 2016, 14:14   #552
Senior - BHPian

Got myself an AWD Duster in February and have completed about 3300 kms now.

Had been seeing reports of amazing fuel consumption figures of around 20 kmpl on this thread, but I had never been able to achieve anything higher than 17 on my long trips. Just to check if it was my driving style which was the reason tried out a "frugal mode" drive on my return from Wayanad last weekend - going easy on the throttle and never going above 90kmph.

The route I used was my regular NH209 route - via Chamarajnagar - Kollegal-Malavalli-Kanakapura-Bangalore. Managed to average about 19 kmpl till I reached the Karnataka border forest checkpost. By the time I exited the forest road, it had dropped to around 17.5 - mainly due to the regular braking / acceleration at the innumerable speed humps I guess - even though I was driving only at around 50 kmph (my normal speed in the forest).

At the mid-way point (between Yelandur and Kollegal) the display panel showed an amazing 20.2 kmpl (6.8 litres for about 137.5 kms, at average speed of 49.5kmph). But it started dropping from thereon - thanks to some slow stretches in the narrow village roads just before Kollegal and the town traffic in Kollegal. It improved somewhat after crossing Kollegal, but traffic was on the higher side from Malavalli onwards, and with frequent overtaking manoeuvres taking its toll on the fuel average the average dropped to about 19.4 kmpl by the time I reached Bangalore outskirts (Art of Living). From thereon it was downhill all the way due to the dense city traffic - eventually ended up at 18.8 kmpl - (271 kms, 14.4 litres - Average speed 51.9kmph)

Interestingly it took me just about 20-25 minutes longer for the frugal mode drive. Normally I take around 4 hrs 45 minutes to 5 hours for the journey, this time it took me 5 hrs 15 minutes. Must have saved at least 2 litres of fuel, so really worth it - should make it a habit from now on !

Overall very happy with the AWD experience. Excellent handling on the highway for speeds upto higher triple digits, and the capability of taking it into our rough estate roads where my Ford Figo would sometimes scrape its bottom (and the added ability to go into the slushy portions where I never even ventured to take my Figo).

Last edited by ampere : 8th July 2016 at 16:28. Reason: Removed high speed mentions
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2016, 14:27   #553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Got myself an AWD Duster in February and have completed about 3300 kms now.

Had been seeing reports of amazing fuel consumption figures of around 20 kmpl on this thread, but I had never been able to achieve anything higher than 17 on my long trips. Just to check if it was my driving style which was the reason tried out a "frugal mode" drive on my return from Wayanad last weekend - going easy on the throttle and never going above 90kmph.
That's about right. I usually get 16-17 on longer trips. The best was 17.8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Overall very happy with the AWD experience. Excellent handling on the highway for speeds upto 130-140 kmph, and the capability of taking it into our rough estate roads where my Ford Figo would sometimes scrape its bottom (and the added ability to go into the slushy portions where I never even ventured to take my Figo).
. Its a great all rounder.
C300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2016, 15:00   #554
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I used to face this Issue(with my Skoda Laura) at some rural locations or if the pump dispenser used to be old. The real issue here was the old type filler nozzle was too thick for Laura's filler hence there was not much space left for air to escape. Not an Issue in recent years.

Try switching Petrol Stations, and specifically ask for dispenser with small/thin nozzle.
Old 17th May 2016, 23:28   #555
Senior - BHPian

I just got back from a trip to Kodai and the car did admirably well, except for the AC performance. The kids usually take the last "row" and complained about AC.

I got a combined mileage of 15.8 kmpl - very decent given the ghat section and Dindigul <-> Kodai road considerations.
Duster made the trip more memorable I must say.

PS: I did cruise for some time - mileage drops with cruise on as the car literally "rushes" to hit the cruise target ASAP.
Should be a min 16 without cruise. Was on Shell diesel for the onward journey and IOC normal fuel on return.
Overall, a 4.5 stars for the car/drive.

Last edited by Equus : 17th May 2016 at 23:31.

Most Viewed