Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2016, 14:30   #571
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster AWD : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SajiNSalin View Post
I always switch off the engine during filling.

Any body face this problem?
Looks like a common problem with the Dusters. Had faced similar issue few months back. Service centre folks were able to resolve it quickly.

Last edited by C300 : 1st August 2016 at 14:32. Reason: formatting
Old 5th August 2016, 00:02   #572
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Hello BHPians,

Wanted to share that my AWD has clocked 30,000 km in 14 months of ownership. The car got serviced today a S.G.P. cars (Renault Kanpur) for the first time today. The bill came to about Rs 7,100 which included alignment and balancing oil, air and AC filter. A few clips in the fender liners had gone missing and were replaced. Clutch mechanism spring had started making a groaning sound which was taken care of by some lubrication for the time being ... hope its a permanent fix. brakes are good for another 10k which is a relief compared to the old 2012 Duster of my dad which needs replacement every 25k. The tyres look good/safe for another 15k which again is good compared to the old Duster which on MRFs needed changes at 32k and 78k.

Though the vehicle was delivered within the said time I seriously want Renault to start something like the 90 minute service like some manufacturers offer for routine services.

As far as services are concerned I have had good experiences with all the service centers my car has visited i.e. Renault Delhi South, Renault Jaipur and Renault Kanpur. Just feel that they don't have a well implemented checklist based inspection process of the car which throws light on stuff the owner misses out on. Their service advisors/technicians are very mediocre/not-convincing in terms of diagnosing root causes of problems. Their service centers are also very cramped and always full with more vehicles they can handle.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 14:36   #573
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

I recently drove a Fortuner AT for a longish ride. Had the car with us for 3 days. The trip consisted round trip from Dholpur, RJ to Orchha, MP. Route was Dholpur, Gwalior by-pass, Datia, Jhansi, Orchha and back.

Just wanted to give a few differences between driving and riding as a passenger in the two vehicles.

Fortuner over Duster:
  • Chiller AC (3 row cooling) with no fogging of the windshield
  • Great view of the road
  • Supportive seats
  • Great Headlamps (Projectors)
  • Auto Transmission

Duster over Fortuner:
  • Lesser Engine Noise
  • car feels much more responsive
  • Lighter steering with much greater feedback
  • Excellent Ride (Comfort & Stability)
  • Better Brakes

Summary:

I enjoyed driving the Fortuner in crowded areas/cities that we crossed as the AT came as a boon and lower speeds meant no bouncing around.

Contrary to this at higher speeds, especially on the roads of Madhya Pradesh that we travelled on, it was a kill joy to reduce to crawling speeds on the slightest of undulations or culvert joints for rear passenger comfort (...safety rather). These conditions would have been brushed away by the Duster like child's play.
Tgo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 08:46   #574
BHPian

My new Duster AWD bought in July'16 was sitting at Renault Service centre for past 5 days. The car pulled abnormally to the left plus the AC vent next to the windshield threw air even when specifically switched off through the ACC buttons.
They checked against other refreshed AWD vehicles and those too had the same AC problem. AC matter still not resolved after 5 days of car being stuck.
Left pulling issue had serious implications on Tyre wear, they have been able to correct it, the car still pulls to the left but it is comparable to my other cars.
Anybody else here has faced any of the above 2 problems? If yes, what was the solution?
Also the rubber beading on left rear door cracked, within a month of buying car, Renault replaced it over these past 5 days. Overall, the quality of Renault parts makes me think of my 2010 RE Classic, almost there, but not yet there.
Old 23rd August 2016, 12:15   #575
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh sharma View Post
Left pulling issue had serious implications on Tyre wear, they have been able to correct it, the car still pulls to the left but it is comparable to my other cars.
Anybody else here has faced any of the above 2 problems? If yes, what was the solution?
One thing to keep in mind is that unlike majority of the cars on the road in India, the Duster comes with Independent Rear suspension also. Hence the castor/camber and toe in/toe out should be checked for the rear also. Since most alignment shops are only dealing with cars with solid rear axle with no adjustment, they fail to check the rear axle alignment.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 12:20   #576
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that unlike majority of the cars on the road in India, the Duster comes with Independent Rear suspension also. Hence the castor/camber and toe in/toe out should be checked for the rear also. Since most alignment shops are only dealing with cars with solid rear axle with no adjustment, they fail to check the rear axle alignment.
This is something most Alignment shops either show ignorance on or misguide customers, I have 2 cars with rear independent suspension(XUV and Laura), rarely any tyre shop I have been to does the rear alignment. Just one place in Gurgaon i know does it.
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 22:31   #577
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Just one place in Gurgaon i know does it.
Could you please let me know the name and area in which this place is located. My car is running fine for now but would be nice to know where to go for a thorough job.
Old 26th August 2016, 13:06   #578
BHPian

I had an interesting experience with the onboard computer. I had washed the Duster AWD and a few days later was driving to Kottayam from Trivandrum. On this drive I felt the idling RPM was higher than usual and the engine was making louder running noise. The acceleration was not as responsive as usual, and I had to use the brake to reduce speed after easing off the accelerator. I stopped to check and on switching on the ignition, some of the engine warning lights remained on even after starting the engine. Checked the Duster manual which said the vehicle should not be driven in this condition. I called up Renault Trivandrum and they suggested to bring in the vehicle for a checkup. After some time I started the vehicle, and this time the warning lights went off. Decided to continue the journey and an hour later stopped for breakfast.
When I checked the accelerator pedal, I found the floor mat was placed over it. Immediately realised that that was the problem. The mat was preventing the accelerator pedal from coming up and so the RPM was close to 2000.

After placing the floor mat properly, the engine was back to its normal responsive and afterwards, the drive was as enjoyable as before.

Small oversights like this can give a lot of apprehension.

Saji
Old 26th August 2016, 14:36   #579
Team-BHP Support

Some pics for Duster AWD fans -

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-img20160818wa0020.jpg

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-img20160818wa0024.jpg

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-p_20160815_072140.jpg

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-p_20160815_073634.jpg

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-p_20160815_073728.jpg

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-p_20160815_074049.jpg

And a couple of videos:

OK, now I do realize that this is mild slush and a FWD can manage to get across too. But the biggest difference between the two is the way FWD guy feels (uh oh, uh oh! will I get stuck?) and the way the AWD guy feels (hahaha! this is fun!)
SmartCat is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 14:20   #580
BHPian

You are right, AWD Duster owners look forward to the bad roads. Have taken several detours on bad roads which felt comfortable with the AUTO option. I generally look for the road less travelled in comparison with the highways and enjoy the ride.

Can you share some challenging roads which would be fun with the AWD?
Old 29th August 2016, 16:07   #581
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You are right, AWD Duster owners look forward to the bad roads. Have taken several detours on bad roads which felt comfortable with the AUTO option. I generally look for the road less travelled in comparison with the highways and enjoy the ride. Can you share some challenging roads which would be fun with the AWD?
By the way, that is my friend's car, not mine.

I guess you already know the best way to enjoy the Duster AWD. Go looking for roads connecting villages and small towns.

If you going from Trivandrum, to say, Kodaikanal, drive "straight" like a crow flies - rather than take routes that Google Maps suggests.
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 20:55   #582
BHPian

Quote:

Can you share some challenging roads which would be fun with the AWD?
Have taken my AWD to Elaveezhponjira which has some steep broken roads. The Duster managed it quite comfortably. An Ertiga was struggling there on one of the inclines which I am sure the 2WD Duster would struggle too.
One other beautiful offroad route would be Mandalpatti in Coorg.
I remember one guy taking his AWD to Kolukkumalai in Munnar which is strictly jeep territory but that route is a little hard for the AWD in my opinion.
Cant wait to do the Ladakh circuit with it.
tomraven99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 16:53   #583
BHPian

Hi

Question to AWD owners who have driven 20000.
I just gave my RXZ AWD for service to Renault Chennai OMR. Besides the usual air filter, etc. the SA says he needs to change the fuel filter as well (which is ok with me) but he says that the AWD alone takes a special 5000 Rs. fuel filter instead of the usual 2000 Rs fuel filter that other variants use. He says it is an Orange vs White fuel filter and vehicles like Lodgy, Koleos, etc. need this 5000 rs. one.

Attached is his estimate for things to change. Is this true that there is a "special" 5000 Rs. filter that applies to AWD or is he bull****ing me? Attached is his quote. Any input from duster AWD owners will be greatly appreciated (I need to collect the vehicle tomorrow)

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-index.jpg
Old 2nd September 2016, 17:34   #584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
OK, now I do realize that this is mild slush and a FWD can manage to get across too. But the biggest difference between the two is the way FWD guy feels (uh oh, uh oh! will I get stuck?) and the way the AWD guy feels (hahaha! this is fun!)
I totally get that man. Recently when I was evaluating Creta / Duster AWD.

I found a road where there was lot of Slush near Ramky Towers Hitech City, Hyderabad. I could take the Duster without much apprehension. But with the Creta, I was too skeptical if I could make it out. I just touched the slush and backed out. Never realized that 4wd would inspire such confidence or shoild I call it Recklessness
indian21r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 15:10   #585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by artrocious View Post
Hi

Question to AWD owners who have driven 20000.
I just gave my RXZ AWD for service to Renault Chennai OMR. Besides the usual air filter, etc. the SA says he needs to change the fuel filter as well (which is ok with me) but he says that the AWD alone takes a special 5000 Rs. fuel filter instead of the usual 2000 Rs fuel filter that other variants use. He says it is an Orange vs White fuel filter and vehicles like Lodgy, Koleos, etc. need this 5000 rs. one.

Attachment 1550031
Did you go with the special fuel filter artrocious? My AWD is 18k on ODO and will soon go for service.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks